Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Benito Cereno posted:

Speaking of the They Shoot Zombies list, what are people’s viewing percentages on that? Not as like a competition, I’m just curious how common some of these movies are. Sometimes I feel like all I do is watch horror movies, and I think I have a 43% on that list. My percentage on the IndieWire list is much higher, as there’s maybe 10-12 of those I haven’t seen

poo poo I’m at like 29%, thought for sure I’d be the lowest in this thread

I only watch like 4 movies a week at the most though since I don’t like watching movies on weekdays for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I bought Possession on Blu-ray in Edinburgh partly because I was like "poo poo better own a physical copy of this because no way it'll stay on any streaming service."

What streaming service is it on? Do they have any other Zulawsky movies?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

ruddiger posted:

What streaming service is it on? Do they have any other Zulawsky movies?

If you're in the EU filmin.es has Possession, The Blue Note, and The Most Important Thing: Love.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I trimmed/sorted my Letterboxd lists and now have 30 Horror sub-genres to work with, not having 31 just does not feel right. I have traditionally picked one from each list every October to make my 31 new horror watches. I cut gore, body horror and Kaiju (merged it with monster movies).

CANNIBAL
GIALLO
WEREWOLF
ASIAN-HORROR
ZOMBIE
NATURAL HORROR
REVENGE
HORROR SCI-FI
HORROR-COMEDY
MONSTER MOVIE
MYTH
SLASHER
FOUND FOOTAGE
OCCULT
SERIAL-KILLER
UNIVERSAL-MONSTERS
PSYCHOLOGICAL-HORROR
VAMPIRE
LOVECRAFTIAN
GHOST/HAUNTING
TRASH
POSSESSION
PORTMANTEAU
FAMILY-FRIENDLY HORROR
GOTHIC
HAMMER HORROR
STEPHEN KING
ALIEN ATTACK
SILENT-HORROR
ACTION-HORROR

My Horrorthon 2020 list focuses on Cannibals but is still looking for that 31st subgenre.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BisonDollah posted:

I trimmed/sorted my Letterboxd lists and now have 30 Horror sub-genres to work with, not having 31 just does not feel right. I have traditionally picked one from each list every October to make my 31 new horror watches. I cut gore, body horror and Kaiju (merged it with monster movies).

CANNIBAL
GIALLO
WEREWOLF
ASIAN-HORROR
ZOMBIE
NATURAL HORROR
REVENGE
HORROR SCI-FI
HORROR-COMEDY
MONSTER MOVIE
MYTH
SLASHER
FOUND FOOTAGE
OCCULT
SERIAL-KILLER
UNIVERSAL-MONSTERS
PSYCHOLOGICAL-HORROR
VAMPIRE
LOVECRAFTIAN
GHOST/HAUNTING
TRASH
POSSESSION
PORTMANTEAU
FAMILY-FRIENDLY HORROR
GOTHIC
HAMMER HORROR
STEPHEN KING
ALIEN ATTACK
SILENT-HORROR
ACTION-HORROR

My Horrorthon 2020 list focuses on Cannibals but is still looking for that 31st subgenre.

Should re-separate Kaiju from Monster Movies, Kaiju movies do enough things distinctly to be a category of their own

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Wait, here is an unique question for this year: Do live interactive Zoom experiences count as a movie?

I feel like a lot of haunted house companies are probably going to transition to semi-scripted zoom haunted houses. I'm sure some of them will be like Sleep No More's Eschaton that is just different acts in various zoom rooms with an overarching story.

But if someone basically made a live one hour found footage movie that they performed over Zoom, does that count as a movie?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Sounds more like theater.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm at 50% on They Shoot Zombies, but a good chunk of that list ain't great. 1,000 truly great movies is tall order for film in general, much less horror.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

How well do the sequels to Joy Ride hold up? Never seen em before, but I also had a weird hankering to watch Joy Ride in October. Apparently the first one (a stone cold classic) is out of print on blu ray and going for $60 on amazon, but Apple TV has all three for sale at $14.99 worth the $5 each?

https://boxd.it/8E9jk

I’m just starting to build a list

dorium fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 5, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Origami Dali posted:

I'm at 50% on They Shoot Zombies, but a good chunk of that list ain't great. 1,000 truly great movies is tall order for film in general, much less horror.

Are you saying I Know What You Did Last Summer is not, in fact, essential viewing?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sorry to double post, but I'd like to make a special request to people sending me recommendations for the Scream Stream: please stop sending me movies that have no critic reviews of any kind. That does not fit within the theme. Even if it has a 2/10 on imdb and is "massively underappreciated", it doesn't count as a film that critics hated.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rewatching one of my favorite documentaries "Adjust Your Tracking" and it's just such a fun and passion filled film, also I will always be in awe about the collections some of these guys have(one guy while talking about how he labels his collection mentions one label as being "Full Moon Worth Buying" which got a chuckle out of me, also another guy turned his entire basement into a full size fake video store, complete with a checkout stand)

About the only complaint I do have is that ironically I feel it focused a little too much on the collectors who focus primarily on Horror films, would have been nice to have one or two guys be talked to who collect other esoteric genres(like those who collect those cheap tapes full of public domain movies and cartoons), but it's understandable that they did since that's where the bulk of the VHS Collector's market and fandom is these days

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

Wait, here is an unique question for this year: Do live interactive Zoom experiences count as a movie?

I feel like a lot of haunted house companies are probably going to transition to semi-scripted zoom haunted houses. I'm sure some of them will be like Sleep No More's Eschaton that is just different acts in various zoom rooms with an overarching story.

But if someone basically made a live one hour found footage movie that they performed over Zoom, does that count as a movie?

No. Something like Host is fine, but if it’s a Zoom equivalent of Halloween Horror Nights, no.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat y'all, "What Keeps Us Alive" on netflix is mega good. I'm surprised it hasn't come up in the thread yet. And it's queer horror!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Franchescanado posted:

No. Something like Host is fine, but if it’s a Zoom equivalent of Halloween Horror Nights, no.

Like Host, but presumably not Host itself as it's only 55 minutes long

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Should re-separate Kaiju from Monster Movies, Kaiju movies do enough things distinctly to be a category of their own

Like what?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tarnop posted:

Like Host, but presumably not Host itself as it's only 55 minutes long

Host seems like a bit of an outlier - I’d definitely call it a feature film despite the length, and I feel like the >1 hour rule is more to exclude short films and episodes of TV shows. Fran is running the show though, so it would be up to him to decide whether an exception should be made.

e: of course that would open up debate about whether other <60 minutes films could be included, so maybe it’s best to just stick to the rules.

Everyone should watch Host anyway though because it’s really good

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 5, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Aw yiss, coming in 2021:

quote:

***OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT***

Coming 2021 from @kinolorber

Brand New 4K Restoration Supervised by Viviana García Besné!

SANTO VS. THE EVIL BRAIN (1961) Santo contra cerebro del mal
Starring Joaquín Cordero & Santo!
Co-Produced by Jorge García Besné, Jesús Alvariño & Dr. Carlos Garduño G.
Executive Producer Enrique Zambrano
Directed by Joselito Rodríguez

SANTO VS. INFERNAL MEN (1961) Santo contra hombres infernales
Starring Joaquín Cordero & Santo!
Co-Produced by Jorge García Besné, Jesús Alvariño & Dr. Carlos Garduño G.
Executive Producer Enrique Zambrano
Directed by Joselito Rodríguez

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man, I really want The Ship of Monsters to get an HD release. I'll happily take some Santo, though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I mean you don't need to have a giant monster. A lot of 50s American monsters movies with human sized creatures feel a bit more like proto-slashers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Those are, if I'm not mistaken, the first two Santo films.

I've seen neither but I've only seen like five or six Santo films.

All of them a hoot.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

drat y'all, "What Keeps Us Alive" on netflix is mega good. I'm surprised it hasn't come up in the thread yet. And it's queer horror!

I tried looking this up and I think you might mean "What Keeps You Alive".

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love this movie. The writer's new feature, Spiral (also a queer horror) is coming to Shudder on the 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJvKDp54YjM

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Oh man, I have this in my October list :ohdear: should I watch it now instead?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

It's been on my list for a while, will watch tonight!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
What Keeps You Alive has the best "trashy true crime thriller novel" feel and I liked it a lot, watched it for the horror movie challenge a couple of years ago. I think it'd pair well with Come To Daddy or Revenge as a "Fighting For Survival In a Secluded Vacation House" double feature.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What Keeps You Alive was pretty good but definitely needed more. Way too lean.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Bram Strokers Dracula is not the movie I remember as a kid. Just didnt really do much for me besides the titilation, good cast and some fun in-camera gags with shadows. Just too meandering and flat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

dorium posted:

Bram Strokers Dracula is not the movie I remember as a kid. Just didnt really do much for me besides the titilation, good cast and some fun in-camera gags with shadows. Just too meandering and flat.

I still LOL at getting into that situation with Monica Bellucci and thinking oh no, I must leave here at once

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Truly keeping dumb decisions alive and well in horror films

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I tried looking this up and I think you might mean "What Keeps You Alive".

Oh yeah whoops, good catch

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m watching the Steve McQueen Blob and I just realized that for a pretty tame, chaste horror movie that goes out of its way to keep things light, it’s got a pretty good gore moment in having the blob start out clear and turn red after it eats people because it’s colored by their blood. I had never thought about it before—it’s the only blood in the movie that I can recall.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I need suggestions for movies 1979 and older. Any suggestions are appreciated.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I hear Alien, Jaws, Halloween and Dawn of the Dead are good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hollismason posted:

For some more off the beaten track films I'd recommend The Phantom of The Paradise, and The Town That Dreaded Sundown

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Sadly I can't endorse What Keeps You Alive. It's very predictable outside of the parts where it's really stupid in a bad way. The entire movie ends up feeling like a contortion to get to the ending that the director quite obviously thought of first.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Hollismason posted:

Some non-obvious ones:

The Night Stalker
Images
A Bucket of Blood
The Incredible Shrinking Man
X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes
Phase IV

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Alucarda
Successive Slidings of Pleasure
Symptoms
Images
Daughters of Darkness
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
Diabolique
House of Wax
The Bride of Frankenstein
Nosferatu
Un Chien Andalou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hollismason posted:

30s:
The Bride of Frankenstein
Freaks (1932)
The Invisible Man

40s:
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Cat People (1942)
Curse of the Cat People (note: technically not horror. has a ghost, though.)
I Walked With a Zombie
Picture of Dorian Gray
The Uninvited (1944)
Zombies on Broadway

50s:
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Curse of the Demon (aka Night of the Demon)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Plan 9 From Outer Space

60s:
Burn, Witch, Burn (aka Night of the Eagle)
Carnival of Souls
The Haunting (1963)
The Innocents

70s:
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Love At First Bite
Picnic at Hanging Rock

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 6, 2020