Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

If Markstrom wants term I would definitely let him go to free agency. This team has too many boat anchor contracts and they need tor reserve the big deals for sure things like Pettersson and Hughes. While Demko might not be at the same development level as Markstrom yet, he’s shown he can probably get there and I would not want to gamble that Markstrom has 5-6 good years left in him

I think we’ve seen overall that goaltending is moving much more towards “a replacement level player is probably good enough” for most teams. At least you can move a bad forward or defenseman contract down the lineup and get some value out of it. A bad goalie contract is a horrible albatross on your cap space. The days of big value and term goalie contracts are probably coming to an end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Number19 posted:

The days of big value and term goalie contracts are probably coming to an end

Someone file this away so we can pull it out and laugh at it after Lehner and Holtby get their new contracts this off-season.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

DiPietro still gettin' paid

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think if they go with Demko as a 1A,a pretty good cost effective option for Vancouver might be Thomas Greiss for a 1B.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Even with Markstrom saving Vancouver's season I think gambling on Demko being a surplus value cost-friendly goaltender is a far safer bet than gambling on Markstrom continuing to be elite into his mid-30s. Vancouver really can't afford to waste any more cap space and Markstrom being even "fair" value on a team-friendly deal with term would kneecap them.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

This is just kind of my gut but I feel like goaltending is only really REALLY important when it's either extremely good (as in top-5, 10+ GSVA) or extremely bad. Otherwise I feel like there are enough cheap good-enough options that you can save cap space and make up more value elsewhere. One of the biggest mistakes teams seem to regularly make is give huge money and term to average goaltenders out of some kind of loyalty or belief that nobody else can step in and be "our guy". It's bizarre because they would be rightfully ripped for treating skaters the same way.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

fisting by many posted:

This is just kind of my gut but I feel like goaltending is only really REALLY important when it's either extremely good (as in top-5, 10+ GSVA) or extremely bad. Otherwise I feel like there are enough cheap good-enough options that you can save cap space and make up more value elsewhere. One of the biggest mistakes teams seem to regularly make is give huge money and term to average goaltenders out of some kind of loyalty or belief that nobody else can step in and be "our guy". It's bizarre because they would be rightfully ripped for treating skaters the same way.

Yeah, that what I was getting at. Markstrom simply isn’t in the tier of goalies who a team should be giving term to. We’ve seen so many goalies turn it on just before their big contract and then regress hard. The risk is super high unless you can say for sure that they are the real deal. Even then you’re probably going to end up regretting the contract around the half way mark

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
In the end they need to choose one and there really is no way to know for sure which is the best option. We really need to figure out how to remake our bottom 6 and what to do with our d. The latter is even more important with Edler and Tanev winding down and only Myers signed beyond next year and obviously Hughes coming back.

I guess on the plus side our cupboards aren’t bare. We’ve got Podkolzin who apparently looks good in Russia and Juolevi didn’t look completely lost in his game plus a couple other unknowns like Rathbone and Hoglander.

Wippersnapper fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 5, 2020

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Number19 posted:

I think we’ve seen overall that goaltending is moving much more towards “a replacement level player is probably good enough” for most teams.

I was gonna point out the the Canes goaltending duo was mediocre, but then I remembered that they beat the Leafs with a Zamboni driver in net.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wippersnapper posted:

In the end they need to choose one and there really is no way to know for sure which is the best option. We really need to figure out how to remake our bottom 6 and what to do with our d. The latter is even more important with Edler and Tanev winding down and only Myers signed beyond next year and obviously Hughes coming back.

I guess on the plus side our cupboards aren’t bare. We’ve got Podkolzin who apparently looks good in Russia and Juolevi didn’t look completely lost in his game plus a couple other unknowns like Rathbone and Hoglander.

Rafferty and Jet Woo will likely get a look next year as well.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
If vancouver signs marky, one of demko or him are going to Seattle

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
If they sign Markstrom I feel like you have to trade Demko as his value must be pretty high right now. I know you still don’t usually get much for a goalie but you can’t lose him for nothing.

Hughes, to the surprise of no one, was banged up in the Vegas series. I’d imagine there was a couple other significant ones.

https://twitter.com/larschcast/status/1302299174851899398?s=21

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

JawKnee posted:

If vancouver signs marky, one of demko or him are going to Seattle

Good point, they could easily protect the good parts on the rest of their roster, and unless one goalie falls off hard next year, whichever they expose would likely be a solid choice for an expansion team. Seattle isn't gonna take Ferland, Beagle, or Roussel.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Hello.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheReplayGuy/status/1302416954440011776

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

hahahahahahahaha

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

PLEASE DO IT ALEX MERUELO

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

after getting burned by chayka, they're looking for a guy with some Loyalty. a guy who will literally never leave. a guy you will fire and who will be standing on the front steps of the Gila River Arena with Phil Collins playing on a boombox begging for another shot. and that is absolutely GM Pierre Mcguire

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Please for the love of god make this happen and get his rear end off the air.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well it was a fun season and i'm glad as hell to see Oskar back

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Flyers never looked right since game 1 vs Montreal and only made it this far becuase of Carter Hart. They never had a single game they particularly looked in control of. No interesting plays, just trudgery. Can't exit the zone. Can't score a power play goal. I'm almost relieved to be free of this.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I really don't know how you fix this team.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
At least the future looks bright with these kids. Konecny and... uh... Is it too soon to call Nolan Patrick a bust?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Spelling Mitsake posted:

At least the future looks bright with these kids. Konecny and... uh... Is it too soon to call Nolan Patrick a bust?

It's not.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Aye Doc posted:

after getting burned by chayka, they're looking for a guy with some Loyalty. a guy who will literally never leave. a guy you will fire and who will be standing on the front steps of the Gila River Arena with Phil Collins playing on a boombox begging for another shot. and that is absolutely GM Pierre Mcguire

Instead of Phil Collins Peter Gabriel he will just be reciting all of the useless information on his players' college coach's roomate's pee-wee linemates.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

feel like it's unfair to call someone a bust when they're out because of a medical condition as opposed to sucking at hockey

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/russianmachine/status/1302422537016684547?s=21

I will be livid if they choose Babcock over Gallant or Laviolette.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

triple sulk posted:

I really don't know how you fix this team.

They looked amazing during the RR. And then as soon as the actual playoffs started, basically everyone turned to poo poo

I have no idea why that happened

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, let’s take a step back here.

Flyers didn’t look amazing since the round robin. But that said, holy hell was this season an improvement from last season, and not just because of how bad last season was.

Team was super hot when Covid hit

Carter Hart is the loving truth

Kevin Hayes is living up to his contract so far

Oscar Lindblom beat loving cancer

Coots is gonna win the Selke (and deserves it)

Laughton is a great mid tier forward

Ivan Provorov is looking like a #1 D

Tyler Myers really stood out in his rookie year

Samheim didnt look great in the playoffs, but he still has more upside than downside

Farabee and Frost showed a lot of promise

TK had a horrible playoffs, but on the reverse he was great in the regular season

Of all players, Tyler Pitlick really was good for what he was signed to do

The downsides :

G and Voracek showing their age

JVR is def showing his age

Ghost looked bad most of the season and I’m betting he’s getting traded

Hagg is ok , but certainly not a great 3rd pair

Braun I’m torn on, he has looked both good and bad

I donno. Yeah, the Flyers had a lot of problems this playoffs. But I don’t see that conflicting with a team That has a lot of young players , is not in cap hell, and has shown that they can dominate games. There were periods of the Flyers Islanders series where the Flyers showed why they deserved to be there. It’s just consistency is what is needed now.

So I’m just saying , this year they more than cleared the (albeit low) bar. Going forward, that bar is now way, way higher. So let’s hope that they can go from a “hey, maybe we’ll make the playoffs” to a real cup contender. I think they’re close to being a contender , maybe just one or two more moves to get there.

Edit: and in this drunken rant I completely forgot about Patrick, but add him in as a wild card of more hope.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Flyers team severely underplaying? Hello darkness my old friend

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Ahem get hosed Flyers your team is dogshit garbage

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the islanders have won three postseason series since john tavares lived out a boyhood dream

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Flyers are terrible, what a disgraceful loving showing

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Hockles posted:

Phil Collins Peter Gabriel

these are the same thing

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/russianmachine/status/1302422537016684547?s=21

I will be livid if they choose Babcock over Gallant or Laviolette.

If they sign Gallant they're going to be good.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Please for the love of god make this happen and get his rear end off the air.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

soggybagel posted:

If they sign Gallant they're going to be good.

In like... the regular season sense or the playoffs?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, let’s take a step back here.

Tyler Myers really stood out in his rookie year

I mean yeah he won the Calder but I'm not sure how this helps the Flyers now.

lazerwolf posted:

Flyers team severely underplaying? Hello darkness my old friend

They were one win away from the Conference Finals so take your goddamn loss in stride.

Also, I have to apologize for the Canucks' improbable season. I offered this bad take on the JT Miller trade on that other accursed website:

I posted:

some rando posted:

Inb4 Miller leads the team in points this year and everyone forgets it was for a 1st
If JT Miller leads your team in scoring you're picking top 5 for sure.

Also 3 goals in 61 playoff games. lol

It was a perfectly fair take in hindsight. How was I supposed to know he'd score double his career playoff goal total in one playoff run?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Aye Doc posted:

these are the same thing

One was good with Genesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

corn on the cop posted:

the islanders have won three postseason series since john tavares lived out a boyhood dream

Have the leafs won any?