Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Bust Rodd posted:

Are people really not over saturated on Donald Glover yet? Why does he have to be the most talented and acclaimed musician, actor, director, writer, comedian in all of Hollywood? I thought I was a big fan but like... drat dude take a breather

Just guessing here, but Glover probably makes his career decisions based on things other than "how sick of me some people might get".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

That sounds like the making of Iron Man, to be fair.

They only did that for the dialogue. The expensive action scenes that required a ton of work were strictly storyboarded and made exactly as intended.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bust Rodd posted:

But Han is the worst main character and I don’t understand why anyone ever liked him TBH. Seems like he’s just a rude rear end in a top hat who gets captured and then he dies like a punk baby after being a lovely dad.

Han's got all the best lines and moments, gets punked way less than Luke, and was played by Harrison Ford. That explains it all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

Lord & Miller brought the directing style of shooting a comedy to Solo; multiple takes, encouraging improvisation and extemporaneous jokes, etc.

Absolutely a valid way to make a movie, but maybe not the best fit for a multimillion dollar blockbuster on a strict deadline.

Everything about that article was bullshit and a total hit piece. I don’t know the truth but I can smell horseshit

Lucasfilm hired a duo who’ve proven themselves to make incredible comedic films and get mad when they make...a comedic film?

gently caress lucasfilm for that. And gently caress them harder for that awful hit piece.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CelticPredator posted:

Everything about that article was bullshit and a total hit piece. I don’t know the truth but I can smell horseshit

Lucasfilm hired a duo who’ve proven themselves to make incredible comedic films and get mad when they make...a comedic film?

gently caress lucasfilm for that. And gently caress them harder for that awful hit piece.

At least it doesn't seem to have hurt their career any, they've gotten a ton of projects green lit since.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh they’re fine, because they have made nothing but good films. It’s just so strange to me that studios keep hiring filmmakers to make films the way they would and gasp when it’s not what they wanted.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If nothing else they were smart enough to hand the best director they've worked with an entire trilogy.

And hey, maybe L&M can come back for a Disney+ show or something.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I thought they cut Johnson and hired Taika for the next movie?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TK-42-1 posted:

I thought they cut Johnson and hired Taika for the next movie?

We still don't know which of the directors they've got tapped is doing the next theatrical release; that was supposed to be announced in January and then they just...didn't.

Waititi has a feature coming, Johnson has a trilogy coming in which he's writing and directing the first, and at least writing the other two, and Kevin Feige is acting as producer on a theatrical feature (this could potentially be the same as the one Waititi is directing?). That's everything theatrical we know of so far now that Benioff and Weiss stepped down from their Star Wars series.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's just another standalone movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love Johnson but they’re not making a trilogy with him.

I really believe not happening. He causes too many nerd fights and Disney’s all about that “brand integrity” because they’re evil and bad. They don’t want another TLJ. They want safe.

It’ll just quietly fall to the wayside while Johnson makes dope Benoit Blanc films for the next few years.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They've already announced his trilogy: https://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Because nothing can possibly have changed in the last 3 years since that was announced.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Directors often switch genres. I don’t think it’s a slam on Lucas film or whatever to say they should have expected the LEGO Movie or whatever

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

In January 2020 Variey posted:

Johnson also confirmed he may still have another gig in a galaxy far, far away. When asked if he was still in active development on any future “Star Wars” projects, he responded: “I’m still talking to Lucasfilm but they haven’t announced anything on their slate yet.”

It's not impossible that it will eventually exist but if it gets mired in development hell or is quietly killed nobody should be surprised.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Meanwhile we appear to be stuck in a hell where there continues to be no S2 trailer and cast members continue to be revealed as assholes

https://twitter.com/ginacarano/status/1302486542863065089?s=20
https://twitter.com/ginacarano/status/1302438318232100864?s=20

edit: posting this blue-screened my PC, poo poo is cursed

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 6, 2020

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hrmm I remember this old saying "work will set you free" but I'm having a hard time placing it...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I love Gina Carano and I love combat sports but people who take head injuries for a living shouldn’t be expressing their opinions about personal health and safety, IMO.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Because nothing can possibly have changed in the last 3 years since that was announced.

Lucasfilm has been very consistent about announcing when projects are cancelled or directors change. Trevorrow stepping down, Lord and Miller being replaced, Benioff and Weiss quitting---all widely publicized and announced. Even things like new writers on the Kenobi show get announced. Johnson's trilogy has not had any directorial change or cancellation announced on it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jivjov posted:

Lucasfilm has been very consistent about announcing when projects are cancelled or directors change. Trevorrow stepping down, Lord and Miller being replaced, Benioff and Weiss quitting---all widely publicized and announced. Even things like new writers on the Kenobi show get announced. Johnson's trilogy has not had any directorial change or cancellation announced on it.

No don’t you see, a guy who calls himself Doomcock Overlord said that an anonymous source says Kathleen Kennedy has totally been secretly fired from Lucasfilm because her SJW politics are ruining Star Wars!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

The pause on new movies is at the iger level

I don’t know how much power he has anymore. Probably the same

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

We do have some states with "right to work" laws. These laws actually allow employers to fire people for no reason.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cross-Section posted:

Meanwhile we appear to be stuck in a hell where there continues to be no S2 trailer and cast members continue to be revealed as assholes

What other cast members have been outed with their lovely opinions? I want to see if they blue screen my PC too. Also lol at Gina, what a dummy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
"Wait how does this virus know the difference between a protest and a church" is at least something with some logic behind it that can hopefully be educated out - a drat sight better than "This covid thing is just a big librull hoax"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So this rumor about focus shift in the middle of S2, tied to a cast member, is because of her antics?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

She can have all the lovely opinions she likes off-camera. The artist is not the work.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Combat Pretzel posted:

So this rumor about focus shift in the middle of S2, tied to a cast member, is because of her antics?

Madurai posted:

She can have all the lovely opinions she likes off-camera. The artist is not the work.

If she's actually an anti-science CHUD there's a chance she just really sucks to work with. All the behind the scenes footage shows the rest of the cast being really chill and familial, so if they don't get along with her it could wear on the production.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah but it's a perfectly valid decision to avoid art made by lovely people. Art doesn't exist in a vacuum--you can talk about separating art and artist all day long, but enjoying the art enhances their platform, allowing them to spew their bullshit to a wider audience.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No decision which avoids Tom Cruise movies is valid

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

jivjov posted:

Yeah but it's a perfectly valid decision to avoid art made by lovely people. Art doesn't exist in a vacuum--you can talk about separating art and artist all day long, but enjoying the art enhances their platform, allowing them to spew their bullshit to a wider audience.

I just want to see the baby.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
https://youtu.be/0VtBiF4kvUE

Nice effects breakdown from one of the sfx houses who worked on season 1.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Cross-Section posted:

I can sort of sympathize with what she's saying. The biggest obstacle to re-opening a lot of stuff is the stupid, entitled mother-fuckers that won't put on a goddam mask. I'd like to be able to watch movies again in an actual theater eating over-priced hot dogs and candy, but even if they opened I'd be reluctant to go because I know some rear end in a top hat old white fart (and yeah, it's usually the old white dudes that ditch the masks from my experience working in a grocery store gas station) will remove his mask the second the lights go down so he can "breathe his free air."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I really don't understand what any of you think is wrong with what she's saying, she literally says "put whatever regulations you want" on how to open up, but she's right about the depression and lack of purpose many feel when they can't gather together, in however limited a fashion, to work, be with friends/family, etc. It's only exacerbating some of the worst deficiencies of our way of life, e.g. atomization and alienation. It's dehumanizing and there's got to be some kind of middle ground.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We’re actually having a big problem here because the governor has banned bars from opening and nothing else. There’s been no outbreaks traced to restaurants, theme parks, airlines, etc. after months when these businesses have strictly kept up capacity limits and mask rules, but the schools they forced open with no rules are causing mass outbreaks. It’s being legally challenged as openly discriminatory because the Florida bar and brewery industry is being rapidly destroyed so it can act as a scapegoat for the government.

I don’t think her point was “Open everything and pretend nothing was wrong” and was just a garbled tweet of frustration at seeing businesses close and people fall into depression because nobody is enforcing rules that could keep these places running under them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I really don't understand what any of you think is wrong with what she's saying, she literally says "put whatever regulations you want" on how to open up, but she's right about the depression and lack of purpose many feel when they can't gather together, in however limited a fashion, to work, be with friends/family, etc. It's only exacerbating some of the worst deficiencies of our way of life, e.g. atomization and alienation. It's dehumanizing and there's got to be some kind of middle ground.

"You’re telling me Covid-19 knows the difference between a protest or praise & worship." is a deeply conservative view that ignores everything that science tells us about outdoor transmission and mask's impact on the virus. Nobody thinks she's being out of pocket for wanting to get back to normal, but "OPEN 'ER UP!" is a deeply classist and problematic attitude that essentially advocates for poor working class people to die from COVID.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I think you're reading a lot into what she's saying, but thanks for reminding me why I don't like to argue on the internet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

there's got to be some kind of middle ground.

There can be a middle ground once we get an effective vaccine and when thousands of people aren't dying each day in the US imo. But even then it's still iffy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i am going to enjoy the show even if the big strong punchsport brain trauma lady is insufficiently woke

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

teagone posted:

There can be a middle ground once we get an effective vaccine and when thousands of people aren't dying each day in the US imo. But even then it's still iffy.

Have we hit the point of "one 9/11s worth of deaths a day" yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

jivjov posted:

Have we hit the point of "one 9/11s worth of deaths a day" yet?

Yeah, in April.