Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Imo you are right but also its good to be extremely cautious and worried.

Just not to the point of collapsing in despair.

I highly, highly recommend people take breaks from this stuff when they can. It really helps with your mental health and your ability to keep dealing with poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Like. I have to post this time and time again because the new doomposters come in and it's like.

Ok. Reality check. Donald Trump is not some all powerful figure. He only even is still in office right now because republicans are terrified of their constituents but privately hate the guy. The idea he has some iron grip is laughable. He's transparently corrupt and incompetent, neurotic. He's weak. And everyone but the 30% of americans who like him know it.
Even he knows it. Anyone in a position of strength doesn't try to suggest delaying elections. Which got completely shot down by his own party. Or a variety of other things in the past.

This isn't some tinpot dictatorship where speaking up gets you and your family shot or else I couldn't be making this post.

Yes. People are getting hurt in the streets. But it's not like police are systemically killing protesters. Over policing? You bet. And I mean... Hundreds of thousands of americans just had protests and riots in every state and territory over the on television murder of a black man for literally no reason. And the police were -absolutely overwhelmed.-

Trump openly trying to create an imperial presidency and jail opposition or crazy poo poo? When people are actually tuned in? That's when the riots really begin.

Military leadership has already explicitly said they're not supporting donald trump except for their constitutional duties. Firing on and mass incarceration of american citizens is against their oaths. If Joe Biden wins the election on Wednesday, January 20th, 2021 they will be following his orders.

And lastly. Say the police support him. Say DHS goes to bat for Trump. The fact is the largest political organization in the country is the democratic party. And one of the leaders of that is Barack Hussein Obama.

D&D is hard on Obama's record and rightfully so. But at the end of the day he is a political statesman and has the knowledge, experience, and popularity to lead the country. Hate him all you want but he's significantly more popular than Donald Trump or really any possible presidential candidate right now and I have no question he could cast down any would be king's aspirations as long as he's alive.

So no. This doomposting and fear mongering is dumb to me. Am I saying it can't happen? Absolutely not. It's important to think about. But realize too that our political and economic system relies on democratic ideals and disrupting that disrupts the money spigot that elites enjoy so much. An incompetent, unstable, and stagnant imperial presidency is not in their best interests and anyone with half a brain knows that.

Right now it's all working because Trump might be skirting the rules but everyone else realizes this is not normal and actively trying to keep things as stable as possible. He has to attack the edges like postal service. The center is too strong.

Edit: gently caress it. We'll do it live. :toxx: I'm confident that most of america is done with Donald Trump. Joe Biden will be the next president of the united states.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 7, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Lol sure bud, the thing keeping America from going over the edge is the DNC and Obama.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Lol sure bud, the thing keeping America from going over the edge is the DNC and Obama.

Eh. Not the DNC. More the point is the majority of this country is democratic party.

I absolutely believe if Trump openly attempted a takeover that Obama and those who support him would be a strong impediment to his ascendency.

Whatever criticism we have of the man's policies I think he's shown himself to be a genuinely good person. And if we collectively actually needed him to be leader again to save America I'm confident he'd do it. But we don't.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Eh. Not the DNC. More the point is the majority of this country is democratic party.

I absolutely believe if Trump openly attempted a takeover that Obama and those who support him would be a strong impediment to his ascendency.

Whatever criticism we have of the man's policies I think he's shown himself to be a genuinely good person. And if we collectively actually needed him to be leader again to save America I'm confident he'd do it. But we don't.

A lot of people around here think Trump is better than Obama because Trump is :airquote:anti-war:airquote: and Obama guzzles down the blood of innocent children. These arguments have had to be struck down countless times here. Good luck convincing people here that Obama has an ethical bone in his whole body let alone that he's a good person.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

The danger isn't that Biden will be elected and Trump will refuse to leave. The danger is that Trump will gently caress with the election by encouraging militias to suppress the vote by showing up at polling places or gently caress with the vote by sending armed chuds to surround (or worse, storm) the places where votes are counted. If things get even worse, he could send his little green men to shut down vote counting in blue areas of purple states. Stop counting the votes in those places, declare victory, and when it goes to court, rerun Bush v. Gore, only with more street violence.

This is why Biden has to not just win, but crush Trump. A huge margin of victory would keep that kind of loving around at the edges from working.

Maria Juana
May 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Is this post from 2015 or something? It was already revealed that Obama knew that Trump was bankrolled by the Russian mafia right after the election and decided to not do anything even after it was shown that he had literally cheated to win.

I don’t think the guy who went kite surfing during the tumultuous first weeks of the Trump presidency would ever come to your political rescue, but that’s just me.

Maria Juana fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 7, 2020

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
After 4 years of him, you’d have to be a moron not to see that trump is indeed a fascist and wants fascism in the US.

However, despite how obvious it was to me in 2016, there was an incredible amount of people who would roll their eyes when someone said Donald was a saying fascist things, and his whole political project and impetus was really kinda fascist too. Even discounting the complete idiots who thinks it can’t be a fascist unless it’s a goose stepping, sieg heil’ing, swastika wearing, 1940s time traveler, and furthermore: “(adjusts glasses) ashukually, by calling modern things fascist you are demeaning the people who died in the kz-camps”. Even discounting them, there was a large amount of otherwise reasonable people, who just didn’t realize that that was indeed what early fascism looks like. This thread was full of them. It’s similar to the people who weren’t sure he was actually being racist, and also “Racist is such an overused word, not everyone is racist. The kkk they are racist, trump just doesn’t want criminals from other countries, blah, blah, blah”.

Turns out, no, like we said; he actually is a huge racist and a loving disgusting fascist piece of poo poo. It’s like only by the grace of his incredible incompetence and his insistence on hiring his own degenerate spawn and other incompetent idiots because of nepotism, that it’s not a lot worse than it is. Give the competent (for a trump employee) Barr and his ‘If anything, the problem with the law is that it is built-in biased against discrimination’ line a few more years and it’ll actually crumble.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

BiggerBoat posted:

But I mean it NEVER loving fails to take up at least 5 pages in any thread I find remotely interesting. I enjoy eating too, I really do, and find it necessary in order to live but this board just never loving quits with it.
It makes more sense when you consider that the algorithms for the Russian bots that generate this sites contents were developed in coffee shops.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ANIME AKBAR posted:

For some reason the first thing that pops into my head when I hear "gender reveal party" is some sort of coming-out-of-the-closet party.

Doesn't everyone use pyrotechnics for those?

I thought the same thing, and my immediate reaction was “well poo poo, chuds are gonna do an anti-trans pogrom now huh”

Then I realized what it actually meant and ... I’m still worried because chuds aren’t known for thinking through things and realizing their gut reactions are wrong

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think a lot of people, even really smart logical people, have trouble reconciling what seem to be two conflicting ideas in their head: That Trump is a dangerous authoritarian who is openly bringing fascism to America, and that he is a weak, incompetent and narcissistic leader. It seems difficult at times to believe that both things can be true, because when people think about the dystopian police state they imagine it's like 1984 or the popularized image of Nazi Germany -- this kind of jackbooted, hyper-efficient, all-encompassing regime that controls everyone's thoughts. But you don't have to be all that smart or even good at your job to be a fascist. Indeed, the only historical examples we have of its leaders collectively represent some of the dumbest and most pathetic specimens of humanity on planet earth. You don't have to control every post office or polling center in the country to meaningfully alter the election results. You don't have to even have to win your election to do irreparable damage to electoral politics. All you need to instill fascism is an unending willingness to do harm and nobody to stop you. It doesn't have to happen overnight, and it doesn't have to be efficient. You just have to be cruel.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

October then?

A vaccine rushed through trials and delivered to a schedule intended to influence an election by an anti-vaxxer whose office has continuously published false documents for political advantage?

When all the public data on the vaccine trials shows that none of them should be ready until early next year?

Eh. You first.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is staggeringly naive.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Trump went on live TV and said that the US needed to kill the families of terrorists and build a wall to keep out Mexicans. If you can't look at obvious fascism and care enough to vote against it, you're part of the problem.

Those are bad examples because Obama had been killing the families of terrorists and building more border fencing throughout his entire presidency.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

Rembrandt's long lost masterpiece, "The Blue Wave"

:allears: Ah, how fortunate are we to bear witness to one of the greatest.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Maria Juana posted:

Is this post from 2015 or something? It was already revealed that Obama knew that Trump was bankrolled by the Russian mafia right after the election and decided to not do anything even after it was shown that he had literally cheated to win.

I don’t think the guy who went kite surfing during the tumultuous first weeks of the Trump presidency would ever come to your political rescue, but that’s just me.

Because a president interfering with the election of a political rival absolutely wouldn't come out and cause a significant backlash.

Say...Wasn't a recent president actually impeached in the house for trying to solicit foreign help in elections?

I don't think people realize Trump undermines institutions and trust in things because he's so weak outside his shrinking republican base it's literally the only way to hold on to power.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I think a lot of people, even really smart logical people, have trouble reconciling what seem to be two conflicting ideas in their head: That Trump is a dangerous authoritarian who is openly bringing fascism to America, and that he is a weak, incompetent and narcissistic leader. It seems difficult at times to believe that both things can be true, because when people think about the dystopian police state they imagine it's like 1984 or the popularized image of Nazi Germany -- this kind of jackbooted, hyper-efficient, all-encompassing regime that controls everyone's thoughts. But you don't have to be all that smart or even good at your job to be a fascist. Indeed, the only historical examples we have of its leaders collectively represent some of the dumbest and most pathetic specimens of humanity on planet earth. You don't have to control every post office or polling center in the country to meaningfully alter the election results. You don't have to even have to win your election to do irreparable damage to electoral politics. All you need to instill fascism is an unending willingness to do harm and nobody to stop you. It doesn't have to happen overnight, and it doesn't have to be efficient. You just have to be cruel.

quote:

His government was constantly in chaos, with officials having no idea what he wanted them to do, and nobody was entirely clear who was actually in charge of what. He procrastinated wildly when asked to make difficult decisions, and would often end up relying on gut feeling, leaving even close allies in the dark about his plans. His "unreliability had those who worked with him pulling out their hair," as his confidant Ernst Hanfstaengl later wrote in his memoir Zwischen Weißem und Braunem Haus. This meant that rather than carrying out the duties of state, they spent most of their time in-fighting and back-stabbing each other in an attempt to either win his approval or avoid his attention altogether, depending on what mood he was in that day.

There's a bit of an argumet among historians about whether this was a deliberate ploy on Hitler's part to get his own way, or whether he was just really, really bad at being in charge of stuff. Dietrich himself came down on the side of it being a cunning tactic to sow division and chaos—and it's undeniable that he was very effective at that. But when you look at Hitler's personal habits, it's hard to shake the feeling that it was just a natural result of putting a workshy narcissist in charge of a country.

Hitler was incredibly lazy. According to his aide Fritz Wiedemann, even when he was in Berlin he wouldn't get out of bed until after 11 a.m., and wouldn't do much before lunch other than read what the newspapers had to say about him, the press cuttings being dutifully delivered to him by Dietrich.

He was obsessed with the media and celebrity, and often seems to have viewed himself through that lens. He once described himself as "the greatest actor in Europe," and wrote to a friend, "I believe my life is the greatest novel in world history." In many of his personal habits he came across as strange or even childish—he would have regular naps during the day, he would bite his fingernails at the dinner table, and he had a remarkably sweet tooth that led him to eat "prodigious amounts of cake" and "put so many lumps of sugar in his cup that there was hardly any room for the tea."

He was deeply insecure about his own lack of knowledge, preferring to either ignore information that contradicted his preconceptions, or to lash out at the expertise of others. He hated being laughed at, but enjoyed it when other people were the butt of the joke (he would perform mocking impressions of people he disliked). But he also craved the approval of those he disdained, and his mood would quickly improve if a newspaper wrote something complimentary about him.

Little of this was especially secret or unknown at the time. It's why so many people failed to take Hitler seriously until it was too late, dismissing him as merely a "half-mad rascal" or a "man with a beery vocal organ." In a sense, they weren't wrong. In another, much more important sense, they were as wrong as it's possible to get.

Hitler's personal failings didn't stop him having an uncanny instinct for political rhetoric that would gain mass appeal, and it turns out you don't actually need to have a particularly competent or functional government to do terrible things.

We tend to assume that when something awful happens there must have been some great controlling intelligence behind it. It's understandable: how could things have gone so wrong, we think, if there wasn't an evil genius pulling the strings? The downside of this is that we tend to assume that if we can't immediately spot an evil genius, then we can all chill out a bit because everything will be fine.

But history suggests that's a mistake, and it's one that we make over and over again. Many of the worst man-made events that ever occurred were not the product of evil geniuses. Instead they were the product of a parade of idiots and lunatics, incoherently flailing their way through events, helped along the way by overconfident people who thought they could control them.

Even before we start talking about red armbands and Trump attempting declaring a thousand year reich theres a lot of sublte damage that comes from having someone like that in authority. In countries with a lot of government corruption theres often this sense of resignation among the populace that nothing matters because no one is ever held to account and thats just the norm. It has knock on effects all across the system.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

A lot of people around here think Trump is better than Obama because Trump is :airquote:anti-war:airquote: and Obama guzzles down the blood of innocent children. These arguments have had to be struck down countless times here. Good luck convincing people here that Obama has an ethical bone in his whole body let alone that he's a good person.

This isnt that debate though, its Nelson Manidingos assertion that Barack Obama, former president now private citizen will be the one who saves america. Even if you see Obama as a decent man thats a loving stretch.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 7, 2020

Maria Juana
May 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Because a president interfering with the election of a political rival absolutely wouldn't come out and cause a significant backlash.

Say...Wasn't a recent president actually impeached in the house for trying to solicit foreign help in elections?

I don't think people realize Trump undermines institutions and trust in things because he's so weak outside his shrinking republican base it's literally the only way to hold on to power.

My dude, Obama was never on your side nor will he ever be. He’s watched as Trump raped and pillaged this nation and he solemnly nodded from the sidelines.

Obama is on team finance. If you’re rich then he’s on your side. Otherwise, you’re on your own.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

eXXon posted:

He loves winning and to be loved and appreciated for being the bigliest winner president in history, do I think he genuinely does want to be president, just not to have to do any actual hard work. He already gets to gently caress around and watch Fox and play golf most of the time so it's not like it's a huge burden.

What I don't understand is what motivates someone like Louis DeJoy. I'm sure the dude is doing some crimes and grifting but he has spent shitloads of money and effort to get his post. Is he that personally invested in dismantling USPS? Did a mail carrier go postal on his parents for him to seek revenge? I know it doesn't serve much of a purpose to question the motivations of someone willing to spend $2 million to get his son into Duke but I really don't get it.

DeJoy is heavily invested in some USPS subcontractors.

I’m sure money is his motivation. Dismantle the post office so it’s ineffective. Make the case that it should be shuttered and replaced with these convenient subcontractors who already do most of the work (because it has shifter to them by DeJoy). Take over a world wide distribution system and make 10s of billion a year.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

massive spider posted:

This isnt that debate though, its Nelson Manidingos assertion that Barack Obama, former president now private citizen will be the one who saves america. Even if you see Obama as a decent man thats a loving stretch.

I agree it's a stretch. However for people to accept even the possibility of the argument the OP was making they would need to see Obama as a person opposed to fascism and many posters here see him as approving of or indifferent to a possible slide into fascism. I see that as a bigger reason for why people will ignore the argument the OP made, and looking at the posts since then I feel reasonably justified in my assertion.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Zombie Dachshund posted:

The danger isn't that Biden will be elected and Trump will refuse to leave. The danger is that Trump will gently caress with the election by encouraging militias to suppress the vote by showing up at polling places or gently caress with the vote by sending armed chuds to surround (or worse, storm) the places where votes are counted. If things get even worse, he could send his little green men to shut down vote counting in blue areas of purple states. Stop counting the votes in those places, declare victory, and when it goes to court, rerun Bush v. Gore, only with more street violence.

This is why Biden has to not just win, but crush Trump. A huge margin of victory would keep that kind of loving around at the edges from working.

Does Trump want to be president at this point?
Unless Biden admin threatens to prosecute him/family he would gladly take the way out and continue his perfomance outside for QANON grift bux and branding, free from paperwork and constant phonecalls from NATO leadership.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fatherboxx posted:

Unless Biden admin threatens to prosecute him/family he would gladly take the way out and continue his perfomance outside for QANON grift bux and branding, free from paperwork and constant phonecalls from NATO leadership.

New York is definitely prosecuting him and has been extremely unsubtle about it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/tomjchicago/status/1302803724134502401?s=21

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Maria Juana posted:

My dude, Obama was never on your side nor will he ever be. He’s watched as Trump raped and pillaged this nation and he solemnly nodded from the sidelines.

If only Obama had used his huge amounts of power, as an ex president, to stop Trump. :(

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

fatherboxx posted:

Trump doesn't want the duties of president, he wants the praise and positive media coverage of being a good president. He also wants the power, but not to actually use that power, he wants the fear and respect from having that power.

That's the Trump Trap. He wants the praise, respect, and fear of being a Good Strong President, but he's completely incapable of that. He's a weak, cowardly, petty, vindictive rear end in a top hat. He wants what he can never have. So his life can only consist of rage-tweeting and whining to Fox News hosts.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Fritz the Horse posted:

Trump doesn't want the duties of president, he wants the praise and positive media coverage of being a good president. He also wants the power, but not to actually use that power, he wants the fear and respect from having that power.

That's the Trump Trap. He wants the praise, respect, and fear of being a Good Strong President, but he's completely incapable of that. He's a weak, cowardly, petty, vindictive rear end in a top hat. He wants what he can never have. So his life can only consist of rage-tweeting and whining to Fox News hosts.

That's my read on it. His bafflement is why becoming president didn't make the MSM and all the elites in NYC that have shat on him for decades suddenly like him now. I'm sure he thought this would do it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I think they may be reading too much into that clip.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/DaveDahdi/status/1302957763576950787?s=20

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think they may be reading too much into that clip.

Yeah it's weird, but Biden clips have taught me "you need more than 15 seconds to tell if somebody is stroking out live on camera"

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I think Trump is more than fine with losing, as long as he can mitigate being called a loser, by casting enough doubt among his supporters that they all think Biden only won because it was rigged against Trump.

The next year or two is going to be spent dealing with the economic fallout from the pandemic, the GOP is going to be preaching austerity, prolonging the pain, and eventually the stock market is going to going to reflect reality, and I don't think Trump is interested in presiding over a protracted recovery. I don't think he is genuinely worried on the legal front. The Democrats insistence on :decorum: means they won't go after Trump once he is no longer in office.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

If only Obama had used his huge amounts of power, as an ex president, to stop Trump. :(

Yes? If nothing else being a respected former president means you have a lot of influence. Obviously he can't outright stop Trump but if he wanted to lessen some of the harm Trump is causing then there's plenty he could do besides telling people to vote.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

The next year or two is going to be spent dealing with the economic fallout from the pandemic, the GOP is going to be preaching austerity, prolonging the pain, and eventually the stock market is going to going to reflect reality, and I don't think Trump is interested in presiding over a protracted recovery. I don't think he is genuinely worried on the legal front. The Democrats insistence on :decorum: means they won't go after Trump once he is no longer in office.

Ugh federal debt is going to matter again isn't it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If Trump steals the election it will be completely legally though the court he's spent the past four years packing with 19 year old Liberty U psychopaths. The Democratic response will be strongly worded statements of displeasure. There will be large protests about it but they will fizzle out in the face of brutal police oppression.

The ideas that Trump will unilaterally illegally declare himself president for life, that Obama will lead a great uprising that will force the usurper Trump from power through sheer decorum and respect for institutions, or that the Rachel Maddow Show audience will take to the hills and become a popular insurgency dedicated to installing Joe Biden as president, are all absurd fantasies.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

I don't think he is genuinely worried on the legal front. The Democrats insistence on :decorum: means they won't go after Trump once he is no longer in office.

Yeah, there is a vanishingly small chance Trump ever sees real consequences from all of this. Most likely, he spends his remaining days rage tweeting form the mountain of taxpayer money he "diverted" into his business interests.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Ugh federal debt is going to matter again isn't it?

Hell, we're gonna see it coming from Biden as well.

quote:

Former Delaware Sen. Ted Kaufman, a Biden confidant who succeeded him in the Senate, predicted during a Wall Street Journal Newsmakers Live interview Tuesday that a large increase in federal spending would be difficult to achieve in 2021.

“When we get in, the pantry is going to be bare,” said Mr. Kaufman, who is leading Mr. Biden’s transition team. “When you see what Trump’s done to the deficit…forget about Covid-19, all the deficits that he built with the incredible tax cuts. So we’re going to be limited.”

Gotta love those household metaphors for the deficit!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

This is staggeringly naive.

I notice that people are laser focusing on my opinion of Obama as a subjective political leader and objectively excellent campaigner rather than any other argument I set forth as to why Trump can't, won't, or will fail in extreme hypothetical fear mongering scenarios.

If the idea that because Obama didn't do full communism now, or focused too much party power on his elections and is even a minor obstacle these days to a serious progressive agenda makes him a bad person or uninterested in the overall health of the nation is extremely limited and ideologically pure wishful thinking.

I can think of more criticism of Obama's presidency than I have praise. He wasted his potential. But the idea he was some terrible president is just dumb.

Trump has revealed and eroded weakness in our institutions. And 4 more years he'd damage them further. Possibly to the breaking point. But that doesn't mean they still don't exist or aren't strong. They're resistant to change. Which is unfortunate for is most of the time, but not right now.

Anyway I don't wanna Obama derail too much more. If someone has novel criticism I'd genuinely love to hear it but otherwise just going to ignore drive by poo poo posts like this one.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 7, 2020

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Gripweed posted:

If Trump steals the election it will be completely legally though the court he's spent the past four years packing with 19 year old Liberty U psychopaths. The Democratic response will be strongly worded statements of displeasure. There will be large protests about it but they will fizzle out in the face of brutal police oppression.

The ideas that Trump will unilaterally illegally declare himself president for life, that Obama will lead a great uprising that will force the usurper Trump from power through sheer decorum and respect for institutions, or that the Rachel Maddow Show audience will take to the hills and become a popular insurgency dedicated to installing Joe Biden as president, are all absurd fantasies.

Current SCOTUS wouldn't go for that. Gorsuch and Roberts aren't Trump toadies and won't be down to let Donnie blatantly steal the election. Gorsuch has proven to be a libertarian textualist and Roberts is very concerned about his legacy and preserving the prestige of the court, both of which would be ruined by being overtly partisan. Roberts wants evil conservative poo poo, but slowly so as to not tarnish the court's reputation. Justices Alito, Beer, and maybe Thomas would be down. In a hypothetical court case where Trump challenges the mail-in vote you'd have a 7-2 or 6-3 decision against.

edit: Roberts is Lawful Evil, Gorsuch is Lawful Neutral. Alito and Kavanaugh are Neutral Evil, Thomas is Chaotic Neutral. Roberts and Gorsuch will not go for the Chaotic Evil option of ruling in favor of blatant election stealing.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 7, 2020

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Srice posted:

Yes? If nothing else being a respected former president means you have a lot of influence. Obviously he can't outright stop Trump but if he wanted to lessen some of the harm Trump is causing then there's plenty he could do besides telling people to vote.

Oh ok

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I notice that people are laser focusing on my opinion of Obama as a subjective political leader and objectively excellent campaigner rather than any other argument I set forth as to why Trump can't, won't, or will fail in extreme hypothetical fear mongering scenarios.

If the idea that because Obama didn't do full communism now, or focused too much party power on his elections and is even a minor obstacle these days to a serious progressive agenda makes him a bad person or uninterested in the overall health of the nation is extremely limited and ideologically pure wishful thinking.

I can think of more criticism of Obama's presidency than I have praise. He wasted his potential. But the idea he was some terrible president is just dumb.

Trump has revealed and eroded weakness in our institutions. And 4 more years he'd damage them further. Possibly to the breaking point. But that doesn't mean they still don't exist or aren't strong. They're resistant to change. Which is unfortunate for is most of the time, but not right now.

Anyway I don't wanna Obama derail too much more. If someone has novel criticism I'd genuinely love to hear it but otherwise just going to ignore drive by poo poo posts like this one.

I don't understand what you think he would do. If Trump steals the election through the courts like Bush did, what are you imaging Obama would do? Declare himself the true president?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Srice posted:

Hell, we're gonna see it coming from Biden as well.

Gotta love those household metaphors for the deficit!

The pantry will be bare. Well bare if you don't look at the 700 billion dollar jar of pickles labeled "the defense budget"