Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Robert J. Omb posted:

As to Cybermen, fabric was always part of their look in the classic series. They even kept up with the fashions of the time - tight and shiny in the late sixties; flares in the seventies; shell suits in the eighties (excellent!).
Now relevant again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love this bit of borrowed design work. Covering the cybermen in something akin to artificial veins and a nervous system.

https://twitter.com/themindrobber/status/416648599804465153

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98q7xragcvc

Being controlled by weed before it was legal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh god, this whole thread.

https://twitter.com/the66ramblers/status/1302925476374048768

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Did they make Daphne Askbrook Sue Storm?

Should've made McCoy Bilbo Baggins

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I like how Peter Davison as Daniel Craig just looks like Daniel Craig in a badly compressed torrent file.

Troughton as the Joker looks great though.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm glad they picked Matt as Newt, because Scamander basically is some version of the Doctor

Not to mention how many people equated Eleven's reliance on the sonic about on par with a wizard and his wand...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh yeah, Newt is definitely very Doctor adjacent. At times it felt like he was deliberately aping 11.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 8, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh yeah, Newt is definitely very Doctor adjacent. At times it felt like he was deliberately aping 11.

Weird looking dude, waves a stick around and lives in a bag that's bigger on the inside?

Yeah JKR NEVER watched Doctor Who I'm sure of it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah JKR NEVER watched Doctor Who I'm sure of it.

IIRC she had been asked to write an episode for Tennant and declined as she didn’t have time (or something like that).

I guess in retrospect it’s a dodged bullet, since she’d have ended up in Gareth Roberts’ doghouse...

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Eccleston looks really good as Malfoy, and Jodie rocks the holly bob.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I only watched the first Impossible Beasts film, and it was bizarre to me that an Oscar-winning actor was basically doing a K-Mart version of the 11th Doctor.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also from the Big Finish Twitter:

I can see Bonnie Langford is on the same level as Nicola Bryant when it comes to not aging at all...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Must be all the carrot juice.

Carrot juice?

CARROT JUICE!?!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Astroman posted:

Also from the Big Finish Twitter:

I can see Bonnie Langford is on the same level as Nicola Bryant when it comes to not aging at all...

She really is :3:

It's so weird (and great) how Big Finish took the character of Mel from one of the most disliked companions, to one of the best. I remember the first audio I heard with her and 7, and I was legit amazed at how well she played the character versus how she was made to play Mel on the show.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jerusalem posted:

I only watched the first Impossible Beasts film, and it was bizarre to me that an Oscar-winning actor was basically doing a K-Mart version of the 11th Doctor.

I seem to remember Matt was potentially up for the role, but didn't move forward on it because of how similar it was to 11.

I actually like Newt a lot, and am super pissed that the first film's goodwill, such as it was, got chucked in the trash with the godawful sequel.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I seem to remember Matt was potentially up for the role, but didn't move forward on it because of how similar it was to 11.

I actually like Newt a lot, and am super pissed that the first film's goodwill, such as it was, got chucked in the trash with the godawful sequel.

He actually got the role until Redmayne won the Oscar and the studio changed it mind. He got paid for at least the first film despite not working on it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

He actually got the role until Redmayne won the Oscar and the studio changed it mind. He got paid for at least the first film despite not working on it.

Really? Got a source on that? First I’ve ever heard of it. Lots of reports that he was in the running, but nothing about him being cast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Animated DALEKS! miniseries coming, consisting of five x 10 minute episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caKdexRCM8Y

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

Really? Got a source on that? First I’ve ever heard of it. Lots of reports that he was in the running, but nothing about him being cast.
There was also the rumour that he was cast in a fairly major role in Rise of Skywalker, but then script changes removed him (though he still got paid).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish Big Finish would have an extremely long arc in which an alien zaps the language center of Peri's brain and turns her into a British version of herself so that Nicola Bryant could actually act, which she is actually pretty good at, instead of continuing to pretend she is American, which she has never gotten much better at.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Fantastic Beasts's problem is that it's a TV show that was instead made into a movie
Everything about Grindelwald and his war should've been its own movie rather than piggybacking on something actually fun and whimsical like Harry Potter used to be

It's like Davros in Destiny of the Daleks - he's a omniicidal maniac trying to kill everything except he's trapped in a Loony Tunes episode

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Payndz posted:

There was also the rumour that he was cast in a fairly major role in Rise of Skywalker, but then script changes removed him (though he still got paid).

My dream job is to be an actor who gets paid to not be in things. As it stands I'm not in movies for free.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Payndz posted:

That part wasn't a rumor, he was on official BBFC casting call liststs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Smith was going to play a rejuvenated Palpatine in the final battle (and also some flashbacks?) after he absorbed Rey and Kylo’s life energy, but I guess they realized they could just use Ian McDiarmid with slightly less cg makeup instead. Also using Smith in that way would have required them to actually explain the Force Dyad’s power in literally any way instead of just half-assing Palpatine’s entire motivation just to get him in the movie.

So not only did JJ fail to give us an actual sequel to the infinitely superior TLJ, but he also wasted an opportunity to use Matt Smith in the process.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of my minor problems with that film is that Palpatine seems so subdued, when the joy in every other movie is watching him cackle and chew the scenery. It would have been interesting to see Matt Smith's take on it, although I don't think it would have saved the movie for me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I guess what I'm saying is, now that I know it's a thing, I want to see Matt Smith read all of Palpatine's lines in full Palpatine make-up, from all of the movies. I want to hear him say "This fully operational battle station."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They cast Matt Smith in the role of "good, well-written character" and had to drop him when they decided to go in a different direction.

Yes I'm still bitter about that turd of a movie :smith:

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

One of my minor problems with that film is that Palpatine seems so subdued, when the joy in every other movie is watching him cackle and chew the scenery. It would have been interesting to see Matt Smith's take on it, although I don't think it would have saved the movie for me.

Reminds me of that one GI Joe movie with the sinking iceburg and the unfortunate Christopher Eccleston. It was a fantastically poo poo movie but got Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a young Cobra Commander because it was the only film that would let him play a bad guy and he's just having so much fun with it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

They cast Matt Smith in the role of "good, well-written character" and had to drop him when they decided to go in a different direction.

Yes I'm still bitter about that turd of a movie :smith:

As if anything in TRoS was ever going to be good or well-written. They should have tried to get the guy who got the snap-activated brain port thingy in The Long Game.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rochallor posted:

As if anything in TRoS was ever going to be good or well-written. They should have tried to get the guy who got the snap-activated brain port thingy in The Long Game.

Listen, we JUST HAD the Bruno Langley discussion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

RIP Diana Rigg :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5b67t65LsM

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

Must be all the carrot juice.

Carrot juice?

CARROT JUICE!?!

I hate carrot juice :smith:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

:allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I love that episode, it's just so ridiculously over-the-top and Diana Rigg hamming it up was a joy.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jerusalem posted:

God I love that episode, it's just so ridiculously over-the-top and Diana Rigg hamming it up was a joy.

Mr. Sweet though :stonk:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1305829883579432960?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 15, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I cannot wait for the cliffhanger of episode 1 of a series titled DALEK UNIVERSE to be the shocking reveal of... a Dalek!

I mean that unironically, it's a Doctor Who staple by this point :)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rhyno posted:

That person appears to be 4 feet tall.

Nice to see Adam Cole found a non-WWE gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lookit this Cyberdood!