Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“Appliances owned by poors in descending order of likelihood to be included in rental unit”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OP not the idiot.

https://twitter.com/cpm5280/status/1303402125205082114

In comments, Archie McPhee confirms, saying boy, did they pick the wrong year to bring out Christmas tardigrades.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That's probably a Scunthorpe problem because it starts with (edit) those 4 letters

xtal has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Sep 8, 2020

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah and saying it's because of security is just general incompetence

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

hawowanlawow posted:

security is just general incompetence

Can't have any fraudulent transactions if you can't have any transactions. *taps head*

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
can someone explain to a layman what that means? why is it doing the dumb thing bc of tardigrades?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

StrangersInTheNight posted:

can someone explain to a layman what that means? why is it doing the dumb thing bc of tardigrades?

My best guess is that they have a word filter that's triggered by the first 4 letters.

But that is likely putting too much faith in PayPal.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Thatsbait.gif

In case you're being genuine, the (otherwise innocent) word contains a slur.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Scunthorpe problem was identified decades ago. You'd really think someone would've gotten a little bit smarter about that by now.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Tardigrades don't deserve this

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It might have been this thread, but I remember PayPal wouldn't let somebody's transaction go through because their username had Iran in the string.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tardigrades were known to be able to survive anything, but now we know they can be defeated by The Algorithm

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RoboRodent posted:

Tardigrades don't deserve this

Frankly we’re better off without their kind around here

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sighence posted:

Thatsbait.gif

In case you're being genuine, the (otherwise innocent) word contains a slur.

Theyre prolly asking what the Scunthorpe (a british village) problem is. It’s trying to design an algorithm that censors/bans certain words and can intelligently respond to people avoiding it. But how do you teach it to recognize Scunthorpe is good but Ur4Cun7 isn’t?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The 'you're not poor if you have a coffee-machine/fridge/microwave' thing is 100% because the people writing these articles have, AT BEST a fairy-tale understanding of what poverty looks like, and thinks that if you don't literally live in a loving shoe or maybe a giant hollowed-out turnip, you're not poor.

Or they do know, but they are cynically spreading anti-poor propaganda anyway because they are scum.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

You can buy a coffee maker for $30, it's not exactly an unobtainable luxury. :psyduck:

$10. Walmart sells coffee makers for $10. 30 will get you a luxurious programmable one, lol.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1303420858959101958

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Pookah posted:

The 'you're not poor if you have a coffee-machine/fridge/microwave' thing is 100% because the people writing these articles have, AT BEST a fairy-tale understanding of what poverty looks like, and thinks that if you don't literally live in a loving shoe or maybe a giant hollowed-out turnip, you're not poor.

Or they do know, but they are cynically spreading anti-poor propaganda anyway because they are scum.

The amusing thing is sometimes you see articles like this from the left, with takes like "eating food other than lentils and sadness is a bourgeoisie affectation", and they're inevitably written by a trust fund kid living in a studio apartment in brooklyn

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

It might have been this thread, but I remember PayPal wouldn't let somebody's transaction go through because their username had Iran in the string.

it was this post, but the bird post is gone now, but the name was mIRANda

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Congrats to Saddest Rhino for getting a job in community management and games marketing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

:argh: ^^^

I see saddest rhino is posting on Twitter now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Guess they got Dwarf Fortress writing their tweets too huh

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

ultrafilter posted:

The Scunthorpe problem was identified decades ago. You'd really think someone would've gotten a little bit smarter about that by now.

Sadly PayPal won't do anything unless the press is contacted. They should tweet at the Buttociated Press to get PayPal to rectify the situation.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Save Our Water Bears!

Also I've found the most the most racist UK Facebook group but I'm just too exhausted to post anything from them right now.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

this isn't the good tweets thread

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

What’s a sword daddy? I see an eggplant. Is a sword daddy a dude with good dick?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Takoluka posted:

this isn't the good tweets thread

I know!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

What’s a sword daddy? I see an eggplant. Is a sword daddy a dude with good dick?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/674930/Boyfriend_Dungeon/

e: also it's a really good tweet, sorry you're wrong Alhazred

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/674930/Boyfriend_Dungeon/

e: also it's a really good tweet, sorry you're wrong Alhazred

It is you, in fact, who is mistaken.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gotta post the followup

https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1303421867273969668

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/danielle_selke/status/916843399063363585

Seems innocent enough pablum, right? Why the ratio? Well, people are claiming she's the teacher in this story.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/jakehepple1/status/1303404155420258310?s=21

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Cut off your leg to own the libs. Do it, coward.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And not their usual performance in the world cup lmao.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

I'm the hyper naked rear end

Also known as the #2 pick for Street Fighter sequel/remake subtitle, sadly, behind Hyper Fighting Edition

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Pookah posted:

It's conflating two facts, that modern day poor are better off then poor people in the past, and that our ability to provide social assistance for the poor is greater, and the income inequality between them and the rich is growing.

Also 99.6% isn't a loving own, that means almost 1.5million Americans can't store non-perishable food, which is loving shameful. I'm sure they'll be subsequently shamed for "eating McDonalds"

Also, lovely refrigerators can be had for FREE, with a little effort, in the US thanks to our exploitation of third world labor, so again, not a scathing endorsement of Capitalism there.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

He should cut his leg off. That much gammon could feed a family for a week.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dunno if anyone would want to eat something that salty.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dienes posted:

I feel like they could have made the same point without including the cost of buying an SUV as part of the cost of Disney World because 'you need to be able to get around.'

More than that, they also include a bunch of extras that most guests won't give a poo poo about (like a princess makeover for your daughter or a boat trip) and random things like stroller rentals, custom embroidered Mickey ears, a dining plan instead of just eating what you want when you're hungry, etc.

I live near the parks. Not only do tons of middle class and even poorer residents go to Disney a lot (especially because they offer payment plans so even an annual pass is practical), before the pandemic there were so many people trying to go to Disney that parks were regularly overcrowded and they were trying to find ways to decrease attendance to avoid hitting capacity all the time. Most people do just fine not spending thousands of dollars for a family of 6 on a week packed with constant activities. They just....go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, part of why ticket prices keep going up is because people keep buying them by the handful, so disney is trying to find a price where people stop doing that because otherwise disney is just leaving money on the table. it's a real "it's too crowded, nobody goes there" problem

the article seems like it's just casting income inequality and increasing divergence in wages/cost of living by demonstrating how a luxury product is more expensive than it used to be. which is kind of a bad way to talk about stagnant wages? i guess as listicles go they needed a hook or something. your average middle class vacation to central florida from out of state means sitting in the car for an endless drive along highways, staying in a cheap motel for a few days, and maybe one or two days of going to disney padded out by visiting the other, cheaper attractions in orlando that are not disney. probably also a day or two at some beach depending on what part of the country you're coming from and what time of year it is