Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I opened my 470s and it wasn't responding, although it was powered on. Then I noticed a tipped over cup a few feet away. It was sitting in a very shallow puddle of water. I powered it off, opened it up, and it's currently air-drying. There was some moisture inside although not as much as I feared.

How long should I let it dry before trying to power it on? What are the odds it survives?

Id leave it for at least a day or so. Depends how submerged it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Red Bones posted:

I saw this model today which is meant to come out around October and might fit the bill. Acer ConceptD 3, comes in 14" and 15.6", good screen for a cheaper laptop, mid-range-ish specs including a mid-range discrete graphics card, meant to retail for around $1000, maybe a little higher. If you want to wait around a month to see how the reviews for it look, it might suit you? There's always going to be compromises at a lower pricepoint, but it does look as if Acer is prioritising the needs of a customer looking to do content-creation work.

Also if you don't want to pay a subscription fee for Adobe, Clipstudio Paint is a very good alternative software for digital art and it's 50% off for a permanent license until Sept 8th. Pro (for painting and drawing single images) is $25 and EX (for animation and creating multiple-page PDFs, comics etc) is $109.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for shame that it doesn't come out until October sometime, so anywhere between a month to almost 2 months away is a bit longer than I'd like wait. It's a bit more that I'd like to spend, but I do also have to view it as an investment. A color accurate display would be nice to have, but isn't 100% necessary as i have an older Dell ultrasharp hanging around anyway. I'm basically trying to start pursuing my my art as a business and a money-making venture. The cusp of an economic collapse may not be the best time to try this, but considering that my work in tourism/bartending will probably not come back anytime soon and when it does it will be severely reduced i need to look at other avenues of making money. I suppose in the interim I could either use a friend's kinda ancient and pokey laptop or just pay someone to digitize my work until I have the means to do so myself.

Edit: It looks like we could start seeing some early reviews for this as it's getting a Chinese release sometime this month. Guess I'll just keep creating and wait a bit and see what the verdict is on these.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 7, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Definitely go with the 2060, it’ll last longer between packing a bit more oomph than the 1660 and the possibility of DLSS. I have last year’s Omen 15 and upgrading the ram was trivial, getting the case open was super easy. There’s no clips or anything to give you any fuss. You may want to also grab a 2.5”SSD to add while you’re in there.

3D games also tend to be driven by the GPU performance more than anything else...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm curious what the TDP of the GPUs are in either model

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would leave the laptop in the sun for at least a week and make sure it is bone dry

If it was wet and still on, chances are that it'll be fine when dried out. The biggest risk is high voltage short between two points, but with a CPU running at 1.2v and a 20v battery there's less risk compared to say, a 120v toaster or 240v hairdryer (please don't teat this out)

You should pull the battery and clean the battery contacts with cotton swabs and some kind of alcohol, vodka, if you must

Joker
Aug 6, 2001

McTeetotaler posted:

Due to kids, I have not built a computer in 10 years, and I'm finally looking at upgrading from an i5 750/Hd 5850 build. I'm looking to get a gaming laptop for games like CK3, recent total wars and rpgs. If I play any new shooters it won't be competively and medium settings will probably look great compared to what I am used to.

I'd like to get something I can play on my lap, as my desk has moved to the basement since I'm working from home now.

The HP Omen 15 looks like it runs cool for a gaming laptop, so I am looking at those at Best Buy. I am considering 2 models at similar price points:

One has a Ryzen 4800H and GTX 1660Ti (and only 8 gigs of RAM, but I'm comfortable upgrading that if it's an issue), 144hz 1080p

The other is an i7 10750H and RTX 2060. I think the screen is 300hz rather than 144.

Other than gaming I'll only use it for MS Office and the like, no heavy workloads.

Am I better off with the superior processor in the Ryzen or the better GPU?

Look at the Eluktronics RP-15. It’s probably similar in price, but for maybe slightly more, you could get your 16gigs if ram, ryzen processor, and a rtx 2060. You can order it from their website customized how you want it (you can get it without windows and buy a key on sa mart to save some money), but expect like 2 months to build and shipped as they are backlogged. You can order a premade system off amazon though and the prices would probably still be in the ballpark of the omen. You can search for reviews on the rp-15 and they are all pretty good. The only real bad thing is the rtx 2060 is supposed to have eluktroboost technology which ups the power to the card, however, it doesn’t really do a lot in terms of extra performance. Maybe like 3% in some games, and others it doesn’t really make a difference.

I’ve had mine for 2 weeks now and love it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I know at for review sites the Eluktronics RP-15 has done really well for people who can only spend $1500 or less.

It's just not as well known of some of the brand name laptop companies but I know maybe people are pleased with value when compared to overpriced
options like the Razer Blade series.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The only reason to go for the Blade 15 anymore is if you love the anesthetic and just need it.

Obviously with the Blade 13 it's a different story.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The only reason to go for the Blade 15 anymore is if you love the anesthetic and just need it.

I'd argue the screen size is still a reason, at least for those of us without razer™ sharp eyes and the bigger panel is just super helpful

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Sniep posted:

I'd argue the screen size is still a reason, at least for those of us without razer™ sharp eyes and the bigger panel is just super helpful

Oh I should have clarified, I meant over competing 15" devices from other brands. With each generation the razer tax becomes less justified unless you must have the razer look.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Oh I should have clarified, I meant over competing 15" devices from other brands. With each generation the razer tax becomes less justified unless you must have the razer look.

That’s true recently the last generation or two have really equalized a lot of things

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Blade 13 Stealth doesn't make sense anymore now that the G14 is out that costs less and also performs better due to having a 8 core Ryzen CPU.

But yeah their are certainly better options now for 15" gaming laptops vs a few years ago especially for the value focused product lines.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I got asked to recommend a laptop that is going to be used mostly for gaming, so they'd like a discrete GPU, budget of $1,300-$1,800. the computers they'd been looking at were:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-7-series/Lenovo-Legion-7/p/88GMY701410

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-gaming-laptops/IdeaPad-Slim-7-15IMH05/p/88IPS701407

are either of these any good (i assume the ideapad is not, as it's a consumer-grade laptop) and is there a better one to suggest? I got no idea on "gaming laptops" besides recoiling at the very idea.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
dont worry, if we're being honest, a gaming laptop is p much the smartest way to play PC (and probably most xbox) games in 2020.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403816

i'd buy that over those lenovo's in a heart beat. better price, better CPU, better form factor. that being said the lenovo's will play games well. you couldnt trick me into buying another 9th or 10th gen intel processor over the ryzen though.

E: btw goons, looks like that g14 is avail for $1k open box. thats a sick laptop for $1k. (also a sick laptop for the $1350 price)

Worf fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 9, 2020

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

etalian posted:

The Blade 13 Stealth doesn't make sense anymore now that the G14 is out that costs less and also performs better due to having a 8 core Ryzen CPU.

But yeah their are certainly better options now for 15" gaming laptops vs a few years ago especially for the value focused product lines.

It also has a RTX 2060, which is insane in a 14 inch laptop.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dave2d says the Legion 7i runs super hot and throttles a lot. I'd just avoid Intel this generation. Tiger Lake sounds a lot more promising.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think gaming notebooks are treading water for awhile. It will be at least until next summer before mobile Ampere and I think that's probably going to be around performance per watt to keep things from getting as hot/throttling/or consuming so much power rather than huge performance gains.

The AMD parts are overkill for mobile gaming. Intel can overheat and throttle, but there are enough ones with decent enough thermal management and the performance is such that even if it does throttle, as long as it doesn't affect the GPU clocks it doesn't really hurt game performance.

When it comes right down to it, the target is still 1080p gaming and that bar isn't all that hard to clear anymore. Unless you intend to buy a gaming notebook to hook to an external 1440p or 4k monitor, then RTX2060 running whatever current gen CPU should be more than sufficient, just pick the total package that suits you best.

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012

McTeetotaler posted:

The HP Omen 15 looks like it runs cool for a gaming laptop, so I am looking at those at Best Buy. I am considering 2 models at similar price points:

One has a Ryzen 4800H and GTX 1660Ti (and only 8 gigs of RAM, but I'm comfortable upgrading that if it's an issue), 144hz 1080p

The other is an i7 10750H and RTX 2060. I think the screen is 300hz rather than 144.

Other than gaming I'll only use it for MS Office and the like, no heavy workloads.

Am I better off with the superior processor in the Ryzen or the better GPU?

There is an Omen 15 with both a Ryzen cpu and a 2060 gpu on the way.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've been casually playing games on my 1050ti laptop for about two years now at 1080p

Unless you're playing DCS or need 144hz 4k support or whatever, most laptops are reasonably fast for pretty much everything

If your playing in an 85F room with 20% humidity and no fan you might run into issues but most games are comfortably run these days at medium to high settings

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unless it's to the point where there's condensation, electronics couldn't give two fucks about humidity levels as far as heat dissipation goes.

That only makes a difference when evaporative cooling is in effect.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Tiger Lake sounds a lot more promising.

Well if anything the bump in iGPU would provide benefits for to people who don't need a laptop dGPU.

Mu Zeta posted:

Dave2d says the Legion 7i runs super hot and throttles a lot. I'd just avoid Intel this generation. Tiger Lake sounds a lot more promising.

I found that to be one of the more interesting aspects of the review since I thought the new vapor chamber would at least prevent throttling issues.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 9, 2020

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I picked up the 1660ti version of the G14 a little while ago and if you care at all about the portability of your gaming laptop I think it's definitely the laptop to beat. It's a really nice machine and the performance is great.

It's true that Zen 3/Intel and the 3000 series cards will be better but honestly I think we're at least 6 months away from actually getting those together in a laptop at all.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Echoing the Zephyrus G14 suggestion, I've had it for a few weeks and it is really impressive for such a compact form factor. There is a power tweak that should be done to keep max temps lower, but beyond that I haven't had to mess with it much at all. The only thing missing is an integrated web cam, which may or may not be important for your friend. If it's an occasional need, a better quality external cam is a decent compromise (I have a nicer Logitech that was like $80 that produces a much better image than either my Thinkpad or my wife's MacBook Pro).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Unless it's to the point where there's condensation, electronics couldn't give two fucks about humidity levels as far as heat dissipation goes.

That only makes a difference when evaporative cooling is in effect.

Dry air has significantly more thermal conductivity, it's about a 20% difference between bone dry air and 100% humidity houston/florida swamp air at 100c (typical CPU temp) :science:

https://www.electronics-cooling.com/2003/11/the-thermal-conductivity-of-moist-air/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, but 100c is not the air temp (which is what matters in your graph). It's the die temp that's not even exposed to air.

30-45 degrees C is what you are going to see for air temp as it exchanges with the heatsink and the lines barely diverge at that point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but 100c is not the air temp (which is what matters in your graph). It's the die temp that's not even exposed to air.

30-45 degrees C is what you are going to see for air temp as it exchanges with the heatsink and the lines barely diverge at that point.

Also, relative humidity of the air going in at room temp may have been 20 percent but that’s a function of temperature so it’ll be significantly lower when it’s doubled in temp.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The G14 is fantastic but imo it's more of a competitor to 15 inch devices, like the Blade 15, than 13 inch devices, like the Blade 13.

The 13 is still a good deal smaller and is in a different portability class, and still the only option for any kind of gaming in that class. Very niche, almost nobody has needs that matches what it delivers. It's kind of underpowered for gaming but overpowered for word processing.

Thinking about it, I've never read a what laptop should I buy post here or on NBR where the clear answer is a blade 13 lol.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 10, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Statutory Ape posted:

dont worry, if we're being honest, a gaming laptop is p much the smartest way to play PC (and probably most xbox) games in 2020.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403816

i'd buy that over those lenovo's in a heart beat. better price, better CPU, better form factor. that being said the lenovo's will play games well. you couldnt trick me into buying another 9th or 10th gen intel processor over the ryzen though.

E: btw goons, looks like that g14 is avail for $1k open box. thats a sick laptop for $1k. (also a sick laptop for the $1350 price)

Thanks, this seems great. Much appreciated.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Thanks, this seems great. Much appreciated.

The Asus G14 is a one of kind product due the CPU "Exclusivity" deal Asus had with AMD to use the 4900HS CPU.

Can't think of any other recent gaming laptop that packs that performance punch in a compact 13"/14" screen / 3.5 lb form factor.

Would recurred the mid-level version over the cheaper G14 model since the mid-level beefs up the specs vs the $1000 version (has 16 GB of RAM / 1 TB SSD and a 2060).

I'd also basics like the keyboard, glass trackpad, Intel WiFi card and quad speakers high marks in additional to the under the performance.

Highly recommended if things like the lack of integrated webcam aren't a deal breaker.

etalian fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 10, 2020

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, relative humidity of the air going in at room temp may have been 20 percent but that’s a function of temperature so it’ll be significantly lower when it’s doubled in temp.
Also the difference in conductivity looks big in that graph but only because the y axis is super zoomed in, the actual difference is small. (It's a significant percentage, but a big percentage of a small number is still a small number. The thermal conductivity of copper, for comparison, is about 400, compared to that graph's max 0.032.)

Also, CPUs aren't cooled by air conductivity for the most part, just the conductivity from heatsink to air, then they move the hot air away with a fan, they don't wait for the air itself to conduct the heat. Maybe humidity also has some impact on the conductivity from heatsink to air, but that graph isn't relevant.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 10, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i'm not trying to be pedantic but it seems like most of the conditions you folks are describing aren't usually found indoors probably close to 99.9% of the time

and even if they were they'd be worse on you than your laptop probably :shrug:

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
Speaking of cooling, is it worth the $ to upgrade the thermal paste in a (gaming) laptop from stock to one of the more expensive ones? Putting together a custom machine, and there's options to switch to IC diamond or thermal grizzly for upcharges. Laptop will generally be used on a table or desk, mostly with a cooler, and I don't expect it to see much actual "lap" time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ExplodingChef posted:

Speaking of cooling, is it worth the $ to upgrade the thermal paste in a (gaming) laptop from stock to one of the more expensive ones? Putting together a custom machine, and there's options to switch to IC diamond or thermal grizzly for upcharges. Laptop will generally be used on a table or desk, mostly with a cooler, and I don't expect it to see much actual "lap" time.

Yes I think spending a bit more helps especially because the better thermal pastes are fairly effective at pushing down CPU temps during worst case use scenarios.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ExplodingChef posted:

Depends on the humidity

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Hadlock posted:

Depends on the humidity
How humid are the extra dollars you were thinking of spending?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I got a L530 and I just tried installing a memory module in the empty slot underneath but it's not recognizing it. anyone know why this would be?

edit: nevermind I just wasn't pushing it in far enough. surprised it wasn't idiot proof

NotNut fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 11, 2020

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
My boyfriend gets to buy a new laptop with academic research funds from the school book store. He does a lot of machine learning on social media data sets using r and python. Any recomendations between these? He's already a primary Macbook user but wants to take the best option not just another Mac necessarily.

2019 Silver MacBook Pro 16" 2.6GHz 6-core 9th gen Core i7, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD MVVL2LL/A

MacBook Pro 2020 13" w/ TouchBar: 2.0GHz quad-core 10th-gen Intel Core i5 Processor, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD - Space

2019 - Dell XPS 15 (7590) 15.6" Notebook 4K OLED (Non-touch), Core i7-9750H 6-core, 16GB RAM (exp. to 32GB), 512GB

.2020 Dell XPS 13 (9300) 13.4 1920x1200 Non-touch, Core i5-1035G1, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

My boyfriend gets to buy a new laptop with academic research funds from the school book store. He does a lot of machine learning on social media data sets using r and python. Any recomendations between these? He's already a primary Macbook user but wants to take the best option not just another Mac necessarily.

2019 Silver MacBook Pro 16" 2.6GHz 6-core 9th gen Core i7, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD MVVL2LL/A

MacBook Pro 2020 13" w/ TouchBar: 2.0GHz quad-core 10th-gen Intel Core i5 Processor, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD - Space

2019 - Dell XPS 15 (7590) 15.6" Notebook 4K OLED (Non-touch), Core i7-9750H 6-core, 16GB RAM (exp. to 32GB), 512GB

.2020 Dell XPS 13 (9300) 13.4 1920x1200 Non-touch, Core i5-1035G1, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD

Smallest and lightest laptop to use for SSHing into a beefier box to do all the real ML heavy-lifting, IMO.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

How humid are the extra dollars you were thinking of spending?

At least 80%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Spikes32 posted:

Personally I'd go with either the 2019 Silver MacBook Pro 16" or the 2020 MacBook Pro 13".