Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Alchenar posted:

Everything about Mariner's characterisation tells us she should not want to be in Starfleet.

She doesn't want to be in Starfleet. But she'd rather be in Starfleet than give her mom the satisfaction of being right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think she very much wants to be in Starfleet

She just wants Starfleet to be a little bit different than she (mostly correctly) perceives it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MadJackal posted:

I loving knew it was based off the janky-rear end Cerritos Auto Square.

It's synonymous in my LA-born brain as "Used Car Junkyard."

hahaha I was wondering why that name was so damned familiar but I only lived in LA for a few years so it didn't burn in as deeply

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

The_Doctor posted:

I’m assuming Michael arrives earlier, spends a bunch of offscreen time with new character Book, grows her hair out, then Disco arrives.

Following the ST09 theory of "first one in ends up earlier," like what happened with Nero and Spock?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean, it’s kind of a great way to reboot Burnham’s character if they wanted. She has some mostly offscreen growth as she waits for Discovery to arrive, and she rejoins the crew as a slightly better person.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Late as poo poo to the party, but I just want to express my love for the USS Vancouver. I love that they stealthily pulled in design elements from the Luna-class for it. It's probably the closest we're gonna get to seeing the USS Titan on screen unless Lower Decks pulls out some amazing batshit curveball, which, if Michael McMahan is the kind of guy he seems to be... actually just might :tinfoil: I mean, it's what I would do I could get away with it, and probably even if I couldn't too.

Still, gently caress yeah Canada in Star Trek. What a wonderful unicorn sighting :canada:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The USS Vancouver is my favorite ship from these new series, I like it even more than the USS Shenzhou which is the best of the Discovery-era ships

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

The USS Vancouver is my favorite ship from these new series, I like it even more than the USS Shenzhou which is the best of the Discovery-era ships

I'm quite the fan of Disco's take on the Enterprise. The air holes in the nacelle pylons are kinda weird, but beyond that it's a good update on the 60s design, but I'm a weirdo who never liked the look of the OG 1701 as-is, so just about any take I've seen trying to update it aside from the JJprise has looked spectacular to me. But yeah, the Vancouver just knocked it off its perch as my favourite Modern Trek ship.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

ashpanash posted:

They're Enterprise shuttles! (Did they make good food? The only episode where I can even remember a meal is from Timescape, but that was a runabout, and seemed like a more executive version of it (with a huge dining room!) besides. I seem to remember that DS9 had lovely replicators because, you know, Cardassians, and the Defiant also wasn't making 10-course meals. As I've said, I didn't watch a whole lot of Voyager, but I know they needed Neelix to cook for them, but they also may have just explained that away as an energy issue (even though they had plenty for their holodeck and whatever else most of the time, but whatever.)

So yeah, from what I can recall, it works.

Oh yeah, Neelix cooking was 100% explained away as the replicators use too much power, which they rationed and still used them anyways. And the Holodecks had their own power system that was incompatible with anything else on the ship. No, that doesn't make any sense either. They could have said that the impulse engines have fusion power generators that produce enough power to run everything but warp drive, shields and weapons. And they're going to run out of antimatter in a few years which will leave them stranded without warp drive and so on and had to deal with that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nullsmack posted:

Oh yeah, Neelix cooking was 100% explained away as the replicators use too much power, which they rationed and still used them anyways. And the Holodecks had their own power system that was incompatible with anything else on the ship. No, that doesn't make any sense either. They could have said that the impulse engines have fusion power generators that produce enough power to run everything but warp drive, shields and weapons. And they're going to run out of antimatter in a few years which will leave them stranded without warp drive and so on and had to deal with that.

It is my pet theory that Voyager operated solely on Janeway sneaking into Engineering during third watch and screaming directly at the warp core for an hour. It helped offset Torres trying to climb into it and murder it with her bare hands in a fit of rage every other day.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
For any plothole in voyager just say Q did it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

It is my pet theory that Voyager operated solely on Janeway sneaking into Engineering during third watch and screaming directly at the warp core for an hour. It helped offset Torres trying to climb into it and murder it with her bare hands in a fit of rage every other day.

there's coffee in that internalized rage

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

That "hard left turn" left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

I was always extremely meh about the idea of the collapse of the Federation but I guess I'll give it a chance. Something something leopards keep eating my face, but yeah.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nullsmack posted:

When I was eleven years old watching Voyager my question was "why don't they just use the holodeck to run a generator and hook up some jumper cables?". I enjoyed Voyager at the time, but that's the kind of question you don't want people asking.

ETA: this was made worse by my "why don't they just use bullets on the Borg?" question being answerd in First Contact with "turns out everyone in Starfleet is dumber than you".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drone posted:

Saaame.

Otherwise, the trailer was fine. No surprises there, but it looks like it has potential even if the ~hope~ stuff is going to be a slog. It seems like it may have finally found its fitting, even if what it wants to be isn't really for me.

The Lower Decks trailer on the other hand looks great, but I'm probably swayed by the cameo. My only complaint is that it looks like it continues the show's trend of making all our main characters too important. The premise of the show is paid off the best when our main characters aren't constantly on important missions and hanging out with the captain and saving the day.

And I'm gonna listen to the poo poo out of that PFT/Tawny podcast.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

nine-gear crow posted:

Late as poo poo to the party, but I just want to express my love for the USS Vancouver. I love that they stealthily pulled in design elements from the Luna-class for it. It's probably the closest we're gonna get to seeing the USS Titan on screen unless Lower Decks pulls out some amazing batshit curveball, which, if Michael McMahan is the kind of guy he seems to be... actually just might :tinfoil: I mean, it's what I would do I could get away with it, and probably even if I couldn't too.

Still, gently caress yeah Canada in Star Trek. What a wonderful unicorn sighting :canada:

Yeah I totally have a girlfriend...uh she lives in Canada

Apparently one of the shuttles was named the Kitsilano? LMAO

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really hope that "hard turn left" is just a figure of speech, and not some chuddy turn for the show. Though I can't see how the Federation could be any more fully automatic space communism than it already is.

If i had to guess, this Burn was some kind of disaster that caused the Federation to either turn inward even more than what we saw in Picard or the other way, became more authoritative. I've heard rumors that the Trill are a major part of the future federation and I wonder if its a sinister turn, because some immortal ankylosarus taking over though a long game of power would not surprise me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drone posted:

"People started to see the Federation as reckless, deadly, and acting with impunity. They rose up across the galaxy, attacking Federation officers, burning Federation buildings... They called themselves Awn-Typha, a dangerous group with insidious communalist ideals originating with a figure known only as Markz. As Markzist-culturalism spread throughout the galaxy, the Federation's glory began to fade, and unwanted alien races began to flood their worlds..."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

It reminds me of Reboot and how they slipped references to Vancouver in every other episode.

twistedmentat posted:

I really hope that "hard turn left" is just a figure of speech, and not some chuddy turn for the show. Though I can't see how the Federation could be any more fully automatic space communism than it already is.

The phrase "hard/wild left turn" has been around for a while to sum up things going unexpectedly crazy or off the rails. I don't think there's any real political connection to be found there. Also chasing chud approval is a losing errand every time, Star Wars proved that well enough. If CBS is trying to court folks like Doomcock, Mecharandom, Midnight's Edge, or that dude with the ballsack beard then... well... poo poo really has taken a hard left turn :dadjoke:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 9, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Doesn't it just mean that you turned across traffic and got t-boned by a truck?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Arquinsiel posted:

Doesn't it just mean that you turned across traffic and got t-boned by a truck?

A pretty apt description of modern Star Trek imo.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itEsO1Z0QWg

Who was it who speculated that they'd bring in John de Lancie?

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 9, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Light posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itEsO1Z0QWg

Who was it who speculated that they'd bring in John de Lancie?

...Literally everyone? :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Anyone have a version of that video that's viewable outside the US?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

Anyone have a version of that video that's viewable outside the US?

Can't find a good re-upload. All I get for searching Lower Decks on YouTube is just assholes mad that Trek is funny now or some poo poo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I just used a VPN, that worked.

Looks neat and fun, but that single "voila" from Q didn't sound like John de Lancie :confused: He has a pretty distinct voice and all.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The Bern
:bernget20:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

oh poo poo, that was the Hard Left Turn.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay that is quite unfortunate lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Fully onboard for season 3. :3:

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/1303413130203029504

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So do we have to maintain the megathread, or can we open individual threads again? I honestly don't care about Lower Decks, I'm mostly here for Discovery. I appreciated the slower pace of that thread. Would it be okay if I made a Discovery thread sometimes in October, before the next season airs?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

Looks neat and fun, but that single "voila" from Q didn't sound like John de Lancie :confused: He has a pretty distinct voice and all.

Maybe it's a lower decks Q who wants his own set of starfleet characters to play with.

And everyone's just like 'oh psh you're not the Q' as he gets more and more infuriated.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Torrannor posted:

So do we have to maintain the megathread, or can we open individual threads again? I honestly don't care about Lower Decks, I'm mostly here for Discovery. I appreciated the slower pace of that thread. Would it be okay if I made a Discovery thread sometimes in October, before the next season airs?

Discovery starts the week after Lower Decks ends, so there’s no overlap between the two.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Bilirubin posted:

The shuttles that we see are the Kitsilano, Fairview and Marpole and the mess hall menu includes sushi and poutine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

The phrase "hard/wild left turn" has been around for a while to sum up things going unexpectedly crazy or off the rails. I don't think there's any real political connection to be found there. Also chasing chud approval is a losing errand every time, Star Wars proved that well enough. If CBS is trying to court folks like Doomcock, Mecharandom, Midnight's Edge, or that dude with the ballsack beard then... well... poo poo really has taken a hard left turn :dadjoke:

I just can't believe that in 2020 of all years they would be so naive. The words "right" and "left" are just too charged with meaning at this point and the line is used in context of the Federation's politics—plus it would have worked just as well phrased as "took a hard turn." It has to be intentional.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
If you heard that phrase and thought it was some slight against left wing politics you severely need a vacation from the internet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The guy currently running the franchise is a truther who made a truther Star Trek movie.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
No he isn't, that's Roberto Orci.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not super mad or anything, but I really wish you guys would have spoilered the cameo thing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
By the way, I still absolutely do not care what plot contrivance they use to have Michelle Yeoh star in both Discovery and the Section 31 show. She's great, and if they somehow were to put her into Picrad as well, I would be overjoyed.