Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I dunno if there are multiple versions of Audition or if there's some lovely dub that completely drops the ball, but in the one I watched, Asami paralyzes Aoyama and starts driving needles into him, he "wakes up" and imagines an alternate sequence of events that end in her death, and then the very last thing you hear before the movie ends is one last "KIRI KIRI KIRI KIRI," implying rather heavily that the escape sequence was the dream and he's really dying at her hands.

This was how I read the ending too. I've seen the original DVD release and the version on Shudder and they both end the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

If I recall correctly the original Ring doesn't really have any jump scares, though the remake has an all-timer with the "I saw her face" moment. The TV moment is scary becuase of how methodical it is, she doesn't come leaping out of the TV suddenly, she just kind of walks to the edge of the screen and then crawls out. So if you've only seen the remake then the original is less jump-scare oritented (though someone do correct me in this regard please if I'm misremebering), though I get it if the memories of the remake could make watching the original still a bit too much.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 22, 2021

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Tarnop posted:

This was how I read the ending too. I've seen the original DVD release and the version on Shudder and they both end the same way

As always, I think the bootleg choppily-edited version is the one that exists between my ears.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Karloff posted:

If I recall correctly the original Ringu doesn't really have any jump scares, though the remake has an all-timer with the "I saw her face" moment. The TV moment is scary becuase of how methodical it is, she doesn't come leaping out of the TV suddenly, she just kind of walks to the edge of the screen and then crawls out. So if you've only seen the remake then the original is less jump-scare oritented (though someone do correct me in this regard please if I'm misremebering), though I get it if the memories of the remake could make watching the original still a bit too much.

The embarrassing thing is I've never actually even watched any of the films, not even the original American remake, this trauma all happened cause another kid described the movie in such depth and enthusiasm that between my overactive imagination, my autism making me focus on it really intensely(and probably the beginning symptoms of my depression, anxiety, and paranoia problems starting to emerge), and the fact that as a kid I was extremely prone to really intense nightmares was enough to basically destroy me mentally for the better part of a year(this would end up becoming a trend throughout my adolescence where exposure to something disturbing would send me spiraling into depression and existential dread for months at a time)

And yes I'm fully willing to admit that probably makes me the biggest wuss in the history of these forums

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Karloff posted:

If I recall correctly the original Ringu doesn't really have any jump scares, though the remake has an all-timer with the "I saw her face" moment. The TV moment is scary becuase of how methodical it is, she doesn't come leaping out of the TV suddenly, she just kind of walks to the edge of the screen and then crawls out. So if you've only seen the remake then the original is less jump-scare oritented (though someone do correct me in this regard please if I'm misremebering), though I get it if the memories of the remake could make watching the original still a bit too much.

You're absolutely right, the original is almost entirely predicated on building an overwhelming and oppressive atmosphere that gets paid off in the TV scene. Jump scares prior to that would be a release valve that the film is not interested in providing. Everything that happens up to that point feels like it's designed to prime your brain to be incredible vulnerable to that one moment, and it worked on me because I had to move my TV out of my bedroom and sleep with a light on for two weeks.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

The embarrassing thing is I've never actually even watched any of the films, not even the original American remake, this trauma all happened cause another kid described the movie in such depth and enthusiasm that between my overactive imagination, my autism making me focus on it really intensely(and probably the beginning symptoms of my depression, anxiety, and paranoia problems starting to emerge), and the fact that as a kid I was extremely prone to really intense nightmares was enough to basically destroy me mentally for the better part of a year(this would end up becoming a trend throughout my adolescence where exposure to something disturbing would send me spiraling into depression and existential dread for months at a time)

And yes I'm fully willing to admit that probably makes me the biggest wuss in the history of these forums

Not at all. Everyone's got their thing. I've had anxiety trouble myself over things which others would probably scoff at, but it felt very intense to me. Everyone's different, and there's no shame in just going "nope, not for me".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The autism + extremely bad nightmares as a kid thing was my exact trajectory too, except that when I was about 10 years old something just snapped in my brain and I both stopped having nightmares and now find it very difficult to actually have a fear response to a film.

Every once in a while it still happens, and it's not a question of me being some hardass who isn't afraid of anything; sometimes really silly poo poo is what does the trick, like that tacky 1999 remake of The Haunting. But for the most part, I have an extremely distant and abstract reaction to horror (and still really enjoy it, just... not the way I think most people do)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

From my experience, many of the big J-horror films are more dreadful than outright frightening, and rarely have jump scares.

Ringu, Pulse, Audition, Cure; they're not really built on jumps. Ringu is mostly daytime scenes with characters wondering if the curse they have is real or not. Pulse is haunting, but nothing jumps at you. Audition is a build to a surprising climax, but it's just violent and plays on sense memories (of pain). Cure is a police procedural/thriller where the main suspect has supernatural abilities that distorts the reality of the people he comes in contact with, hypnotically manipulating them; no jump scares, and most of the violence is straight out of a regular police procedural. Ringu is closest to having a "happy" ending.

What you want is Kuroneko and Onibaba, although I wouldn't describe their endings as "happy" or "sad/bad". The anthology film Kwaidan is also excellent. Also, you probably would like Hausu. It's wild and fun. No jump scares, beautiful cinematography, less dreadful, more thoughtful films.

edit: I think the jump scare tradition you're thinking of is actually just from the American remakes of things, and were way more popular in horror from the early 00's to about 2013. The trend started to become less popular after The Woman In Black. You still have things like Lights Out and Oculus, with plenty of jump scares, but the A24 Horror trend has started to show that audiences want more story, and that jump scares are punctuation, not the main attraction.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 9, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drrockso20 posted:

So are there any non Kaiju horror films from Japan that A) don't rely on Jump Scares for most of the horror*, or B) have an actual happy ending(cause as far as I can tell J Horror seems to be near universally bad endings, and I hate those, especially in a horror context^)

*not only are Jump Scares the cheapest and laziest way to get scares, they're also something that I do not handle well at all as I have anxiety and paranoia issues that they most definitely set off

^what can I say, I find the real world a depressing enough place without happy endings as it is, I don't need that kind of thing in my fiction as well

X-Cross! Watch X-Cross! It's about two friends trying to survive basically two different horror movies at the same time, each one based on their unhealthy past relationships with men. It's really fun and more people need to watch it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yo, I just want to say thank you so much for recommending What Keeps You Alive. The acting and cinematography are both great, I'm going to tell as many people as I can to watch it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yo, I just want to say thank you so much for recommending What Keeps You Alive. The acting and cinematography are both great, I'm going to tell as many people as I can to watch it.

I watched it over the weekend, and I will second (third?) this

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched it over the weekend, and I will second (third?) this

Watched it last night. It’s really good!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There's so much good poo poo in What Keeps You Alive. Especially the canoe chase and the ending sequence with the drugs.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hell yeah glad to help :)

flashy_mcflash posted:

There's so much good poo poo in What Keeps You Alive. Especially the canoe chase and the ending sequence with the drugs.

There are certainly plot holes you could steer a canoe through, but the surprise turn when Jackie pushes Jules off the cliff is one of my top HOLY poo poo PISS moments in film. It caught me so off guard.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's amazing that What Keeps You Alive manages to be so pretty and so scary at the same time.

The woods of Canada are gorgeous.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's been ages, does Hausu have jumpscares or a sad ending? I highly doubt it.

Also I can't believe nobody has suggested thread favourite One Cut of the Dead.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

Also I can't believe nobody has suggested thread favourite One Cut of the Dead.

I forgot that it was Japanese. That is a great choice, though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just noticed that Colin Minihan (director of What Keeps) is writing/directing the Urban Legend remake.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

It's been ages, does Hausu have jumpscares or a sad ending? I highly doubt it.

if it has jump scares, they're like Scooby-Doo level

looking forward to What Keeps You Alive, gonna save it for the October thread though

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The weirdest thing about What Keeps is that the Jackie character was never supposed to be a woman, and that kind of came about by accident. The movie would be pretty unremarkable if it had just been a hetero couple, I think.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

*yeah those movies are the epitome of trash but at least for the first three entries they were pretty funny

The entire franchise has one good joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfj2aiWh0ek
I tried the movies because I'm fan of the Wayans bros but it's just so frustrating to watch joke after joke that doesn't land.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm gonna jump in again and tell the thread to temper your expectations of What Keeps You Alive. The whole plot is incredibly contrived, not just in the sense where if X didn't happen there wouldn't be a movie. It's just a string of hare brained decisions and implausibilities from the point the action kicks off all the way to the end. I don't normally mind this but this was really a huuuuge stretch for me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yeah i didnt think it was great. Good, worth a watch sure, but entirely forgetable.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuwDfbJF-MY

October 9th. Perfect.

Now release the Green Knight you cowards!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm gonna jump in again and tell the thread to temper your expectations of What Keeps You Alive. The whole plot is incredibly contrived, not just in the sense where if X didn't happen there wouldn't be a movie. It's just a string of hare brained decisions and implausibilities from the point the action kicks off all the way to the end. I don't normally mind this but this was really a huuuuge stretch for me.

I find it hard to believe that there's a guy living in the bottom of a lake that wakes up and kills a bunch of horny teens regularly, but I enjoy his movies.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that's a bizarre false equivalency, nobody expects realism and smart decisions from an 80s slasher movie, but I certainly do from a modern "serious" thriller movie. I mean people make mistakes in real life and bad decisions but if it happens so much in a movie it becomes a complaint that's valid.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuwDfbJF-MY

October 9th. Perfect.

Now release the Green Knight you cowards!

God drat it I'm not gonna go to a theater, release this stuff on digital you nincompoops

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alhazred posted:

The entire franchise has one good joke:

Wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOL5UF5WSX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkJSq_m2rqc

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

God drat it I'm not gonna go to a theater, release this stuff on digital you nincompoops

This. Releasing movies in cinemas during a pandemic is stupid

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It is. But also movie theaters are gonna die.

I’m ok with it. But yeah.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

but if we watch them at home David Lynch will eat us while we sleep

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tarnop posted:

This. Releasing movies in cinemas during a pandemic is stupid

Haven't you heard the only way to end COVID is to open 'er up, and die for number?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

but if we watch them at home David Lynch will eat us while we sleep

Wasn't it just watching movies on phones that got him all riled up?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Get real

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Just loving LOL if you can't stomach a lethal disease to see a fresh horror movie.

Yall grin like jackals when there's blood in the water but the second the horror becomes even a little bit real, cold feet all around.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Wasn't it just watching movies on phones that got him all riled up?

what is a phone but a tiny tv

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Cinema screen = big phone?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

I haven't seen the Universal Monster movies either. I think the thing about them, why people who have seen a ton of horror movies haven't seen them, is because of how historically important they are. Like, even in this discussion, the fact that they're good is brought up second to the fact that they're essential viewing if you want to speak authoritatively about horror movies. So that creates a context where someone watching them for the first time is doing so primarily out of historical curiosity or genre obligation. And I think those are lesser motivators than, like, this movie is the new hotness, or this is by a director you really like, or this one is from a genre or country you aren't very familiar with, etc.

A major issue with fandom is that watching a lot of poo poo in bulk is used as a sort of substitute for reading well. Watching a good variety of films is an important part of film literacy, but the real goal is being able to interpret films. The achievement of watching all the Universal Horrors, or all the Friday The 13th films, or whatever, just tells me you have a lot of free time.

It's also pretty well-known that these aren't always the most interesting movies. They're franchises - and are largely famous for being famous, as a result.

I wouldn't trust anyone who doesn't appreciate a single B&W horror film, but I'm also not impressed when someone slogs through all the Black Lagoon movies without an interesting observation. A good reading might involve letting the film percolate in your brain a little bit before jumping to the next one.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If I wanted to read I wouldn't be watching films

:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tarnop posted:

If I wanted to read I wouldn't be watching films

:boom:

same but i love foreign horror so i oftentimes end up reading MORE watching subtitles. Worth it tho i love reading