Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Comes a time in a man's life when he asks himself "what do I stand for?" Ethanol, well...Ethanol Stands For Savings.

Stux posted:

buying one on release with either method is equally stupid

Launch year consoles: Not Even Once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wheeee posted:

if you don't understand why a two-year interest-free loan with no cost of borrowing is superior to paying an up-front lump sum you should not be lecturing anyone on finances

Console is $300 and the plan makes you pay $600 this isn’t v difficult to understand ultimate is maybe not worth $300 (don’t even get to keep the games)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I mean good on you if you think this is a good and fair deal, but it's not an accident that this deal is a US-only thing that isn't available anywhere else.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1303681370829455361

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wheeee posted:

if you don't understand why a two-year interest-free loan with no cost of borrowing is superior to paying an up-front lump sum you should not be lecturing anyone on finances
are we talking about the same thing here:

quote:

Via Xbox All Access, you can get an Xbox Series X plus 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for £28.99 a month spread over 24 months, or an Xbox Series S plus 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for £20.99 a month spread over 24 months.
so for a series s you're paying £503.76 over 24 months for: a £249 device and £254.76 for 2 years of xbox game pass ultimate, which 'saves' £9 (total) against paying gp ultimate monthly. so for the cost of £9 you're locking yourself into paying £20.99/month instead of £10.99/month (GP Ultimate monthly price) with the optional of postponing or finding a deal for a 3 month pass during those two years?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

They will be doing this, it's part of their 'smart delivery' thingy. The console will only download the assets it needs per the machine. With 10 vs 16 gigs there will likely be games where the texture quality is going to take a hit on the Series S.

Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. This also means that a single Xbox game can have no less than 4 different metrics for how much size it takes up (XB1(S),XB1X,XBSS,XBSX)

A bit like how iTunes movies and TV have at least 8 different rendered files on the backend (480p old devices, 480p less old devices, 720p, 1080p, 4K SDR, 4K HDR10, 4K Dolby Vision) and I think even more to handle different connection speeds and AV configurations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I have been owned. Just like an Xbox obtained on a payment plan isn't.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

pretty low effort but i like the xbox green background

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Not trying to win an art contest here, you get the idea

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

you think im handsome

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its never better to take out a loan than just buy something if you are equally able to do both. it doesnt matter if its 0% or not.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stux posted:

its never better to take out a loan than just buy something if you are equally able to do both. it doesnt matter if its 0% or not.

Wrong.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Stux posted:

uuhhhh

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sorry im not from america this might sound crazy to you guys im sure, anyway brb taking on two years of video game debt during what is going to be an insane post covid recession.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Stux posted:

sorry im not from america this might sound crazy to you guys im sure, anyway brb taking on two years of video game debt during what is going to be an insane post covid recession.

It's important in the States to keep your credit score high so you can qualify for lower interest on big loans that matter like Auto loans and Home Mortgages (and landlords are increasingly using your score to decide whether to rent out to you). The best way to keep your score up is to pay your balance on time and to always have some line of credit open (credit cards, other loans etc). So it is really usually in your interest to go with paying off a loan over time if it's 0% APR, it's helping you in the long run with more important things that you'll need to do. You shouldn't get a loan on something that you could not pay off if an emergency happens you're right there but a 0% APR loan is a no brainer for me.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

gently caress a credit score, it's not even that. It's not hard to find an interest-bearing ~something~ to put the cash you'd have spent all in one shot in over the course of the 0% loan. For what you'd spend on an Xbox, those returns are probably trivial, but for a car or furniture, that can be actual money.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

gently caress a credit score, it's not even that. It's not hard to find an interest-bearing ~something~ to put the cash you'd have spent all in one shot in over the course of the 0% loan. For what you'd spend on an Xbox, those returns are probably trivial, but for a car or furniture, that can be actual money.

This too. If you can get an Auto Loan with interest below 5% then you'll make more money investing that extra money rather than putting down a bigger down payment over the loan term.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if you're trying to build credit buy it on the credit card which you should already have to build credit with. the kind of people who will apply for this with Microsoft's third party lender are actually going to ding their credit for 2 years when they get denied for it.

how much is a 600 dollar 2 year line of credit going to help you anyways

america

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

conceptualizing debt as an inherently bad thing, a millstone around one's neck, is financially illiterate thinking

amortizing costs is a good thing when the cost of doing so is sufficiently low

this has nothing to do with xbox in particular

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the truely American way to buy this is buy the xbox series x all access and make the payments with your credit card

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

Rich guys love low interest loans vs spending their own money that they could invest to beat the low interest they are paying on the loan.

You are right for regular people but people with finance knowledge will balk at the no loan rule cause ghouls gonna ghoul

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Paying a lump sum likely comes with an opportunity cost which debt, especially at 0%APR, probably won't have.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

ethanol posted:

if you're trying to build credit buy it on the credit card which you should already have to build credit with. the kind of people who will apply for this with Microsoft's third party lender are actually going to ding their credit for 2 years when they get denied for it.

america

Your score is heavily weighted towards the duration of a line of credit rather than just the amount of credit it was. I'm not saying doing this helps you a ton - but it doesn't hurt you and it's not scary.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

providign i am n ot able to buy it with credit in dorito bags

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if you can buy a new car upfront without a loan ur in a much rarer position than if the option is a loan or upfront for a video game cosnole.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Your score is heavily weighted towards the duration of a line of credit rather than just the amount of credit it was. I'm not saying doing this helps you a ton - but it doesn't hurt you and it's not scary.

much like the banks you just willingly ignore the insane function of applying for this and getting denied will hurt your credit

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

if you can buy a new car upfront without a loan ur in a much rarer position than if the option is a loan or upfront for a video game cosnole.
Oh sorry. Your quote didn't say anything about video games or cars. It just said 0% loans were always bad compared to paying up front.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

ethanol posted:

america

In this situation you're either paying usurious interest rates, paying it off all at once and doing nothing for your (IMO, overemphasized in personal finance discussions) credit score, or paying 0% on some first year teaser rate which is the same thing as taking a 0% loan.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

ethanol posted:

much like the banks you just willingly ignore the insane function of applying for this and getting denied will hurt your credit

I'd hope people applying for something on credit already know if they have a good credit history? It's not Microsoft's problem if they don't.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Speculation at this point so nothing confirmed, but would be lol if the Series S can't play One X titles with the X enhancements. So no 4k RDR2 on Series S? That would be a huge drawback. The One X was available for $299 often in the states so if you have a One S and 'upgrade' to the S you could potentially not get the same experience as a previous gen console no longer being manufactured.

Again, speculation - MS could do something with memory management and the SSD for back compat or through virtualization force the game to be rendered in 1440p, who knows. But the memory constraints in it more than I was expecting, even with RDNA2 improvements going from 330+ GB to 224, and of that only 8 is at that speed is kinda yikes

https://twitter.com/GigaBoots/status/1303725904389120005?s=20

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Wheeee posted:

conceptualizing debt as an inherently bad thing, a millstone around one's neck, is financially illiterate thinking

amortizing costs is a good thing when the cost of doing so is sufficiently low

this has nothing to do with xbox in particular

debt is an inherently bad thing sorry you live in a poisoned land where you buy like bread on a credit card or whatever

also going into debt to purchase something whose value will trend downward from the second you buy it is stupid unless its your only option due to income, especially when its a luxury good already. if its your only option thats fine. if you can afford to buy it buy it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stux posted:

Believe it or not people who buy cars also buy video game consoles

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

xbox all access market are the military guys who spent their enlistment bonus on a dodge challenger

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
xbox all access: sign up for financial ruin

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Believe it or not people who buy cars also buy video game consoles

what does this even mean in the context of this convo. if you can afford a new car upfront without debt why would you be hemming and hawwing about taking on a 24 month loan for an xbox lmao

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Stux posted:

debt is an inherently bad thing sorry you live in a poisoned land where you buy like bread on a credit card or whatever

also going into debt to purchase something whose value will trend downward from the second you buy it is stupid unless its your only option due to income, especially when its a luxury good already. if its your only option thats fine. if you can afford to buy it buy it.

You remind me of my friend who can only get gas at one station in town because he still pays for everything with checks and that station is the only one around dumb enough to take them.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Stux posted:

You should absolutely buy everything on a credit card btw because it is insured and you can get your money back, you can't do that with a debit card.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stux has a child's understanding of how money works but it's ok because he's from a country where opportunity cost somehow doesn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

awfully rude to make posts like that if u ask me... just in general but also when you're an american defending american credit system