Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just started season 2 and I forgot why the Deep was kicked out. Can someone remind me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

veni veni veni posted:

Just started season 2 and I forgot why the Deep was kicked out. Can someone remind me?

He forced Starlight to give him a blowjob or he'd kick her out of the 7. When she Me-Too'd him, they sent him away as PR damage control

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Starlight was being an sjw and cancelled the deep over a small misunderstanding

Also accidentally got a friend/lover killed in a car accident

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok thanks. I remember him doing that, but I couldn't remember if that's why he was removed.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He forced Starlight to give him a blowjob or he'd kick her out of the 7. When she Me-Too'd him, they sent him away as PR damage control

I forget if the dolphin rescue was before or after Starlight made the abuse public, but I'm sure it didn't help.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Romes128 posted:

I forget if the dolphin rescue was before or after Starlight made the abuse public, but I'm sure it didn't help.

it was after.

E: I think...As you can see I am not good at remembering things anymore.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Edit post

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat lol you wussed out on that one immediately.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think Aya Cash is really good and has a ton of screen presence so I'm ok watching her get a bunch of screentime as somebody odious. If you haven't seen it and want to see her not be a nazi, check out You're the Worst which is like a once in a lifetime incredible performance.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I kinda hope they kill Stormfront off relatively quickly because while she's putting in a great performance and it's a very hateable villain I don't particularly want to watch an entire season of some alt-right shitstain's murder spree.

At the very least we better get Vas out of this.

I got some bad news about Homelander

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Romes128 posted:

It was after, but I think Sitwell waved that off and said the real reason he was being reassigned is because the blowjob story was not going away and it was only a matter of time until Starlight (or "one of the other women") actually named him.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Golden Bee posted:

I got some bad news about Homelander

You're not wrong but I think there's an important distinction there - Homelander and Vought as a whole represent the latent fascism and cruelty of America - it's systemic, but in a way that gets presented as being dispassionate (which is why those kinds of people always want to twist data around or appeal to "reason" and legal authority, etc.). You get the sense that Homelander just thinks human beings are toys for his amusement, and that he doesn't care enough about them on a fundamental level to hate them for reasons of ideology or identity - of course this perspective still ends up reinforcing systemic oppression, but he probably wouldn't see it that way. You can see this when he deafens the Daredevil stand-in. He obviously thinks of him as a lesser person, but even when he's committing an act of shocking, but private, brutality, his justification is couched in terms of efficacy - "this guy wouldn't be able to do the job." Never mind that you could create any number of hypothetical situations where that would be true of every other superhero too.

Stormfront is basically Homelander without the veneer, essentially showing you what's underneath the flag he's wrapped in (which is part of why she pisses Homelander off so much), but the difference is that she's actually both cognizant of those inequalities and actively perpetuating them. It's much more personal and visceral seeing the violence she commits linked directly to a hateful ideology - I would say show Homelander obviously has no problem turning civilians into paste when they get in his way or become a minor inconvenience but he probably wouldn't go out of his way to kill someone just for being black like Stormfront does.

They are obviously both two sides of the same coin and the trailer makes it seem like they are not gonna be subtle about it at all, but there's definitely something more uncomfortable about Stormfront's scenes, which I think is very much deliberate.

It's even less subtle in the comics, where Homelander is explicitly cloned from Stormfront's DNA and freely tosses racial slurs around.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

FilthyImp posted:

If you're not plugged into the comics books or terminally online then it's a pretty good reveal.

She's got lightning powers. Stormfront works as a weather related name scheme. It also works on that wonderful plausible deniability thing alt-reichers love to gently caress with. Up until then she just seemed like either really not into the whole "omg the 7" managed-PR thing, or really GenX FuckTheMan poo poo.

as soon as i saw the haircut, the costume and the name, i was waiting for the reveal. it seemed blatantly foreshadowed to me.

Stormfront is basically Homelander without the veneer, essentially showing you what's underneath the flag he's wrapped in (which is part of why she pisses Homelander off so much), but the difference is that she's actually both cognizant of those inequalities and actively perpetuating them. It's much more personal and visceral seeing the violence she commits linked directly to a hateful ideology - I would say show Homelander obviously has no problem turning civilians into paste when they get in his way or become a minor inconvenience but he probably wouldn't go out of his way to kill someone just for being black like Stormfront does.

They are obviously both two sides of the same coin and the trailer makes it seem like they are not gonna be subtle about it at all, but there's definitely something more uncomfortable about Stormfront's scenes, which I think is very much deliberate.

homelander is biden as stormfront is to trump.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda winced when Homelander threw around the mud people reference this and last season, but thankfully it wasn't racist, he literally sees himself as a god and the rest of us as barely monkeys out of the trees.

I'm waiting for SF to go full on white power nazi before getting the poo poo kicked out of her.

Honestly, at this point I have no idea what sort of aquatic violence The Deep is going to end up doing in season 3. Neutering a kraken?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Homelander is an American Supremacist and he absolutely has an ideology. See: the opening scene of the season

Edit: or his reaction to his son learning Spanish lol

Starks fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 10, 2020

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Can we talk about how great homelander shoving his kid off the roof was? It really hosed with me in the leadup how we never really knew whose kid it was.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

wereboat posted:

Can we talk about how great homelander shoving his kid off the roof was? It really hosed with me in the leadup how we never really knew whose kid it was.

The kid had glowing eyes when we first met him at the end of the first season, his heritage wasn't that mysterious

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Azhais posted:

The kid had glowing eyes when we first met him at the end of the first season, his heritage wasn't that mysterious

I forgot about the glowing eyes and thought the reminder of compound V was all about kindling doubt about him having powers at all. I thought they were going to go with Homelander paralyzing his kid and was surprised at the outcome.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Honestly, at this point I have no idea what sort of aquatic violence The Deep is going to end up doing in season 3. Neutering a kraken?

Getting the Great Barrier Reef destroyed when he tries to pilot it like a coral-mecha.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Homelander saying “in perfect American” instead of “in perfect English” felt a little too on the nose for me but I guess they really don’t need to pull any punches with a crowd like this

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stormfront is basically Homelander without the veneer, essentially showing you what's underneath the flag he's wrapped in (which is part of why she pisses Homelander off so much), but the difference is that she's actually both cognizant of those inequalities and actively perpetuating them.

Kind of like how she has monochrome American flag armbands a la blue lives matter where Homelander has a bright colorful flag on his uniform?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Homelander saying “in perfect American” instead of “in perfect English” felt a little too on the nose for me but I guess they really don’t need to pull any punches with a crowd like this

"Oi, that's that homelander oval office, guv"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

wereboat posted:

???

Did you just zone out during all the Homelander family scenes?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm waiting for SF to go full on white power nazi before getting the poo poo kicked out of her.

She does have those armbands that seem really well placed to have her rip the velcro off and reveal swastikas.

Though I wonder if they'll go full nazi/alt right with her. Her character so far seems pretty in line with a 'white feminist', like a Lena Dunham with super powers.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think it was a twist because they’re clearly leading to a Homelander kills stormfront angle, because she completely disregards everything that keeps his illusion running.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

She does have those armbands that seem really well placed to have her rip the velcro off and reveal swastikas.

Though I wonder if they'll go full nazi/alt right with her. Her character so far seems pretty in line with a 'white feminist', like a Lena Dunham with super powers.

Watch the 3rd episode.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I forgot about the glowing red eyes at the end of s1, although in hindsight the idea that vought would squirrel off Becca without doing a paternity test or something is pretty ridiculous.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Watch the 3rd episode.

I did, thats what I'm referencing. If she'll go out nazi or keep it more subdued. I specifically used 'white feminism' as opposed to intersectional feminism. "White feminism is just white supremacy with pictures of salad."

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If she'll go out nazi or keep it more subdued.

I mean she killed a bunch of black people for no reason and used a slur. Do you mean like full nazi like saluting randomly and shouting heil?

I dunno how much more obvious you can get with her being a racist rear end in a top hat.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

wereboat posted:

I forgot about the glowing red eyes at the end of s1, although in hindsight the idea that vought would squirrel off Becca without doing a paternity test or something is pretty ridiculous.

There was also the flashback that showed her belly being lasered from the inside. I suppose we could say that was some misdirection by Vought, but as soon as Homie starting asking about her, people had to know the game was up.

I wonder if the other supers are all impotent? This seems unprecedented, but I'm not sure if that's because they're terrified of homelander kids, or if they're just realizing that supers can have kids at all.

e: or maybe they fix the other supes at birth and just forgot to give John the old supersnip? Look for a small green tattoo just above his belly if they ever show his torso. That'll confirm it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

boo_radley posted:

There was also the flashback that showed her belly being lasered from the inside. I suppose we could say that was some misdirection by Vought, but as soon as Homie starting asking about her, people had to know the game was up.

I wonder if the other supers are all impotent? This seems unprecedented, but I'm not sure if that's because they're terrified of homelander kids, or if they're just realizing that supers can have kids at all.

e: or maybe they fix the other supes at birth and just forgot to give John the old supersnip? Look for a small green tattoo just above his belly if they ever show his torso. That'll confirm it.

Supes gently caress. Remember the whole club scene at the beginning of season 1. A-Train was in a relationship.

Mesmer has a daughter.

Translucent said he had kids (I think) - Actually Translucents kids were at his funeral.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

the character has done blatantly racist poo poo (murdering a building full of black people) and said racial epithets at a japanese charachter while breaking his poo poo. why the gently caress would you think "lena dunham" about a supe named "stormfront"? :psyduck:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

On the second viewing it was weird to me that the guy, whose trademark power is telekenisis, would tackle Stormfront when he could have done just about anything else.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

the character has done blatantly racist poo poo (murdering a building full of black people) and said racial epithets at a japanese charachter while breaking his poo poo. why the gently caress would you think "lena dunham"

Lol wait what part of Japan is Kimiko from that they have AK wielding terrorists

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Starks posted:

Lol wait what part of Japan is Kimiko from that they have AK wielding terrorists

the part with the extralegal paramilitaries

also, a lot of people telling on themselves by tying sf more to feminism than fash. makes you wonder if they've got a grudge

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Starks posted:

Yeah I was legit confused on this.

I honestly thought she was from another SE Asian country or something.

The Boys version of japan sounds wild.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Starks posted:

She's Japanese in the comics, but her origins are much more mundane there. The actress is Japanese-American and the character's name is definitely Japanese too, but from the flashbacks and the terrorist group being called the Shining Light Liberation Army it looked more like it's meant to be somewhere like Myanmar or Vietnam.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The brother did mention returning to Japan.

I'm guessing some disaster while the family was overseas left them in a camp. As children with no ID and not speaking the language, they fell through the cracks.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Other than Homelander's kid, do any other supe kids have powers? Or is Homelander the only one who'd been able to pass down his Compound V altered genes in a way that they manifest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My NoPrize is they're Ainu and the Liberation Front is a SE Asian group that reaches through Asia and recruits/abducts kids and teens to be radicalized child soldiers who then get sent back to home nations to build Liberation cells.

Sammus posted:

Other than Homelander's kid, do any other supe kids have powers?
Mesmer was apparently a child star?
They haven't really gone over this poo poo so maaaaaaybe there's something that inhibits Compound V from being passed down through children?