Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Which BB does it use? I assume you want to carry that over?

SRAM BB-GXP-A1 68x1.37

It would be great but if it puts huge limitations on the frame I can always factor that in to budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Was this a test kit? That tracking number for DHL doesn’t register either

No it’s the full order, I’m still waiting on it, welcome to aliexpress.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I hit a bit of a snag with my Crust build. I ran the cables for the shifters and the front brake, but when I got to the rear brake, I realized that my initial belief about the top tube's internal cable tube (i.e., that it had cable stops at each end) was wrong. So I need a pretty dang long piece of housing... or do I??? There are two possibilities I'm considering: 1) I run separate pieces of housing (with ends filed as flat as I can get them) that meet within the internal tube, trusting in the tube to prevent any significant squirm when the cable is pulled or 2) I do the same thing, but use Jagwire double-ended ferrules (plastic housing removed at the connection, 5mm OD - same as the plastic housing) to connect the housing inside the tube. I have no idea if those li'l Jagwire ferrules can negotiate the entrance to the internal tube, but I ordered some because they've been useful on other projects, so why not?

Are both of these ideas bad? If you're wondering why I don't just get more housing, it's because I don't think I can get more housing of the same type in the length that I need -- and I've already installed the shifters and front brake so I don't want to have to redo all of that.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Do they make cable stops that fit into the internal routing holes? Seems like that would be the best option.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

rope kid posted:

I hit a bit of a snag with my Crust build. I ran the cables for the shifters and the front brake, but when I got to the rear brake, I realized that my initial belief about the top tube's internal cable tube (i.e., that it had cable stops at each end) was wrong. So I need a pretty dang long piece of housing... or do I??? There are two possibilities I'm considering: 1) I run separate pieces of housing (with ends filed as flat as I can get them) that meet within the internal tube, trusting in the tube to prevent any significant squirm when the cable is pulled or 2) I do the same thing, but use Jagwire double-ended ferrules (plastic housing removed at the connection, 5mm OD - same as the plastic housing) to connect the housing inside the tube. I have no idea if those li'l Jagwire ferrules can negotiate the entrance to the internal tube, but I ordered some because they've been useful on other projects, so why not?

Are both of these ideas bad? If you're wondering why I don't just get more housing, it's because I don't think I can get more housing of the same type in the length that I need -- and I've already installed the shifters and front brake so I don't want to have to redo all of that.

#1 without any reinforcement the cables are going to bend or offset slightly at the split point and you're going to have bad breaking performance

for #2 do you have enough length to keep the connection point outside of the bike? If not, you could get a 3rd piece or regular housing and run that internally with just a little nubbin sticking out each end to avoid having the ferrules in a hard to access place (you won't have to pull the housing out of the bike when you change cables for example). I would at least test ride the ferrules with the housing zip tied to the outside before you commit to using them because again having breaks in housing tends to gum things up unless everything is just right.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

spf3million posted:

Do they make cable stops that fit into the internal routing holes? Seems like that would be the best option.
Ehh... maybe. In looking at other Romanceür builds, it looks like people just use black housing that you can buy in bulk length. I don't see any examples of using specific stops that I could copy with confidence.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

for #2 do you have enough length to keep the connection point outside of the bike? If not, you could get a 3rd piece or regular housing and run that internally with just a little nubbin sticking out each end to avoid having the ferrules in a hard to access place (you won't have to pull the housing out of the bike when you change cables for example). I would at least test ride the ferrules with the housing zip tied to the outside before you commit to using them because again having breaks in housing tends to gum things up unless everything is just right.
I have a piece of non-matching black housing that would work. I mocked it up and... honestly between the blue / black housing and the light matte silver ferrules (thanks, Jagwire) it looks pretty bad. The brake cable kits are cheap enough that I think I'm just going to order another one so I can have a single connection point toward the rear of the bike, where I can more easily hide it. I think it will look and perform better.

Thanks.

Urzza
Sep 8, 2007
Rippen off MTG since 2002

Urzza posted:

I'm looking to get a bike for general fitness and biking to work. I'm looking at the Trek Dual Sport 3. It's in my targeted price range, looks like it does what I want it to do, and their a store nearby that mainly stocks Trek. Do you guys have any other ideas that I should take a look at? I live in California, the bay area.

Update: After doing some research, I embraced my inner biker and said gently caress the budget. I'm going with a Specialized Sirrus X 4.0.

Urzza fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 24, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mAlfunkti0n posted:

SRAM BB-GXP-A1 68x1.37

It would be great but if it puts huge limitations on the frame I can always factor that in to budget.

68mm width MTB frames are out there, but not as common, and will learn toward less than modern geometry.
I can't think of any that are Boost and also 68mm. Will poke around.

rope kid posted:

1) I run separate pieces of housing (with ends filed as flat as I can get them) that meet within the internal tube, trusting in the tube to prevent any significant squirm when the cable is pulled or 2) I do the same thing, but use Jagwire double-ended ferrules (plastic housing removed at the connection, 5mm OD - same as the plastic housing) to connect the housing inside the tube. I have no idea if those li'l Jagwire ferrules can negotiate the entrance to the internal tube, but I ordered some because they've been useful on other projects, so why not?

I did #1 for a while without noticing obviously extra initial flexing as the join compressed. The whole setup might benefit from being inside a tube, too, in terms of responsiveness.
I might have used heatshrink to join the ends? Maybe that'll catch trying to put it inside the tube, like 2.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Found a Giant Contend SL2 Disc from 2018 for sale up in Boulder at what I'd call a decent pre-Covid price, and then sold my older budget model contend to cover most of the cost of this one. Aired the tires back up (tubeless, they've been holding since Tuesday even without adding new sealant), put acceptable pedals on it, and cleaned it up a bit. Oh man do I notice a difference, I know it's still an entry level bike but going from claris and mechanical rim brakes to tiagra and hydraulic disc brakes alone is huge for me, and the combo of tires, fork, and seatpost are really eating up the chatter on a lot of Denver's lovely roads. I've got two issues with it, the seatpost where the clamp assembly meets the D fuse weird shaped posted is angled slightly, and cannot be corrected, so that'll be me ordering a new seatpost, and that the color scheme is just ugly as all get out. Due to the snow and assorted bullshit I've only done 30 or so on it so far but it's definitely going to make road riding a bit more appealing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

No it’s the full order, I’m still waiting on it, welcome to aliexpress.

Yeah I bet they just created a shipping label right off the bat, they love to do that poo poo to beat shipping requirements

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

68mm width MTB frames are out there, but not as common, and will learn toward less than modern geometry.
I can't think of any that are Boost and also 68mm. Will poke around.

I figured it probably put me into weird territory. This frame is just weird. I don’t mind swapping the BB to put me into something new. No need to constrain your search to that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The hardtails I was looking at were:
Nukeproof Scout 27.5
Ragley Marley
NS Eccentric Alu EVO 27.5

All are Boost and 73mm BSA (so you'll need to get a 73mm crank, too).
Meant for 130-150mm travel forks, so the 120mm you have might ride a touch steep, but with 65deg HTA, it'll be ok.

Of these, only the Scout officially supported 2.8" tires, but it's sold out.
One reviewer on the Marley listing these said 2.8 will fit.

Stuff like headset might not carry over. You're already planning on getting a diff seatpost, and these are all 31.6.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

The hardtails I was looking at were:
Nukeproof Scout 27.5
Ragley Marley
NS Eccentric Alu EVO 27.5

All are Boost and 73mm BSA (so you'll need to get a 73mm crank, too).
Meant for 130-150mm travel forks, so the 120mm you have might ride a touch steep, but with 65deg HTA, it'll be ok.

Of these, only the Scout officially supported 2.8" tires, but it's sold out.
One reviewer on the Marley listing these said 2.8 will fit.

Stuff like headset might not carry over. You're already planning on getting a diff seatpost, and these are all 31.6.

Awesome thank you!

Actually looks like this BB had two 2.5mm spacers to make the crank work. I don’t think I’d have to pick up a different crank, it seems the NX eagle works with both 68 and 73, using spacers for the more narrow.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 11, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Yeah I bet they just created a shipping label right off the bat, they love to do that poo poo to beat shipping requirements

Ancient Chinese secrets. :iiam:

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I’ve been riding my Marin hybrid commuter (a secondhand “Urban” model from a few years ago) a lot more over the last few months, started tracking rides in Strava, trying to push my workouts to make number go up. I’ve also been reading all the bike threads on the forums compulsively, watching the YT videos posted here and reading more articles about bikes, etc trying to get my head wrapped around all of the nuances of group sets, tires and so on.

I’m in San Diego, a moderately bike-friendly town with a lot of good road and trail options in short range. So far I ride around to the park and zoo with my wife, and also started working on my cardio on street rides, but we are active outdoors and would like to start getting off-road. It’s medium likely that my wife will get a bike at some point in the future - right now all she has is a commuter.

It seems like inventories are getting a little better and I’m starting to look more seriously at $2k-ish gravel/adventure bikes. Brands that seem to be readily available right now are Marin, Jamis and Masi. Canyon is local to me and looks to have new inventory coming within 30 days. All City bikes are cool but I hear their lead times are crazy.

There are a lot of shops here, and I’m willing to drive to the greater Orange Co/LA Co area to find the Right Bicycle. I’ve talked to the guys at Adrenaline in Costa Mesa but could stand to call around more. My next step is to go to a few LBS and ride some bikes as well.

Questions
Any other brands or retailers I should take a closer look at?

Shimano 105 and GRX group sets seem to be common at the price point - I’ve read a bit about them but I’m not sure that I will appreciate the differences they much. Any thread opinions?

Getting a good bike with a sweet paint job is harder than I expected.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anza Borrego posted:

Shimano 105 and GRX group sets seem to be common at the price point - I’ve read a bit about them but I’m not sure that I will appreciate the differences they much. Any thread opinions?

For equal prices, I'd go for GRX. You can get it lower geared than 105, so you can climb hills more easily. San Diego is near some pretty hilly terrain worth a bike trip, if I'm not mistaken. It also has a different brake handle pivot so you get more leverage from the hoods and a derailleur clutch so you don't drop the chain as easily when it's bumpy. You might still find bikes with 105 cheaper, on discount. If you don't do that much hills, that might be worth it.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Ola posted:

For equal prices, I'd go for GRX. You can get it lower geared than 105, so you can climb hills more easily. San Diego is near some pretty hilly terrain worth a bike trip, if I'm not mistaken. It also has a different brake handle pivot so you get more leverage from the hoods and a derailleur clutch so you don't drop the chain as easily when it's bumpy. You might still find bikes with 105 cheaper, on discount. If you don't do that much hills, that might be worth it.

This exactly what I was hoping to get insight on, thank you! Yes, we have some topography here and I’d like to get out and see some of it. Thanks!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is this the place for gear recommendations?

I'm looking for two things.

1) A seatpost clamp in 34.9. Ideally a Salsa lip-lock in black, but the world has, apparently, been vacuumed for those. Must be non quick-release and ideally without threads directly into aluminum, because I'll wreck those in short order.

2) A set of good platform pedals. Bonus points for low stack height, and wide to fit my size 11 shoes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://allcitycycles.com/blog/fantastic_updates_for_all_citys_space_horse_and_gorilla_monsoon

All-City updated the Space Horse and Gorilla Monsoon to use flat mount, which means all of their disc frames have this super ugly bodge:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

https://allcitycycles.com/blog/fantastic_updates_for_all_citys_space_horse_and_gorilla_monsoon

All-City updated the Space Horse and Gorilla Monsoon to use flat mount, which means all of their disc frames have this super ugly bodge:

That is hideous.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

There's probably not a good way to make structurally sound flat mounts on chainstays that thin without that kind of barreling or incorporating some massive bracing. Here's what steel Rock Lobsters look like.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 11, 2020

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I pulled the trigger on the Ragley Marley frame last night. I'll take my time prepping it, likely I will go for a new headset as the one I have currently is kinda jank.

I forgot how much I hate the headset on this current bike, its a caged and honestly I have never liked that type of bearing. I feel like crap gets lodged in there too easily.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 11, 2020

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

I found out I'll be travelling quite a bit for work for a period in the near future. I have an Orucase Airport Ninja and I want to use a full size road bike, not a folder. My current main bike is a huge PITA the pack up since you have to remove the fork and it has hydraulic disc brakes with an internal brake line through the fork leg. Plus the front/rear dyno wiring is tricky and taking the fenders off and on isn't my idea of a great time.

So I came up with this must-have list:
- threadless stem
- drop bars
- at least 9 speed
- mechanical caliper brakes
- any frame material
- 52-54 cm size
- ~$1,500 budget

Nice to have list:
- 11 speed
- integrated shifters
- room for wide tires
- the lighter the better
- wide range gearing
- 105 or better groupset

That is kind of neat...

What about this?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/san-jose-like-new-jamis-eclipse-54cm/7194076473.html

spf3million fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 11, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Ola posted:

Keep in mind that Shimano obnoxiously named multiple tiers of component all GRX.
I would NOT go for the 10spd GRX over 105.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah. GRX has a 400, 600, and 800 level plus a di2 version.

With a 2x drivetrain, the difference is negligible. The derailleur does have a clutch, but capacity is the same and will only handle an 11-34 cassette. Which is plenty of range with the new 30 or 31t little rings.

The benefit to grx is mostly with 1x as it has that clutch and the 1x specific RD will work on an 11-42 cassette.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Iirc 400 is mix and matchable with Tiagra, 600 with 105, and 800 with Ultegra.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Okay they are only just starting to make them, they sent me a picture of the hat today to make sure the colors were good.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
One thjng to note is that on paper the GRX FD and 2x crank aren't intercompatible with regular 11s road front double components but we just finished a custom build with a 2x GRX crank and an Ultegra FD and it worked fine. YMMV.

If you don't need bigger than 11-34 there's always the clutched Ultegra RX that's so far served me very well. If you're eyeing a gravel bike with a traditional drivetrain but want the clutch swapping whatever you get out for one is a good option.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

my first 10+ mile ride... im so tired.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

my first 10+ mile ride... im so tired.

With that air quality... ya i bet

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Just signed up for a 7 day, 1100km and 15000m of climbing ride for next march (Chile - Argentina - Chile).

It’s gonna be awesome (if it’s not cancelled)

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 12, 2020

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

I like it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

FogHelmut posted:

Iirc 400 is mix and matchable with Tiagra, 600 with 105, and 800 with Ultegra.

All levels of shimano 11sp road shifters and derailleurs are cross compatible. All levels of road hydro brakes are as well.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I think the Tiagra and Grx 400 RDs also work with 11 speed shifters despite being officially 10 speed. Vice versa the 10 speed Tiagra and Grx 400 shifters work with any on paper 11 speed road RDs. Looks to me you'd get a little more range with the 10 speed grx RD with double as compared to the 11 speed one. That's maybe one case this might be useful besides parts-binning

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know that much about groupsets, but the GRX400 and GRX600 seemed to share an awful lot of part numbers. I imagine there is a certain "you don't want to be seen in the base model" thing going on.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
When it comes to road drivetrains offroad I'd kinda want to try the 11s GRX RD mated to a 10s 11-42. With my Ultegra RD and cassette I find the drivetrain a bit more prone to fouling from leaves and grass than when it was a 9s. I wonder if the slight increase in cog pitch would mean less time picking grass and leaves out of my cassette.

I'd hate the gaps in gearing on gravel roads and pavement though.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Been having problems with my SPD pedals + shoes so I put a set of flats on and rode with the shoes to see if it was the cleat position causing the problem. Found out that if I just leave the toe and mid-foot straps completely loose my feet stop hurting. Sure beats buying new shoes.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Cool. The bar and stem combination I bought aren't compatible even thought they're both 31.8mm because the steam has to be put on bars at a narrower position and then slid into place. That won't work with aero bars. I hate every bicycle and bicycle part manufacturer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

moctopus posted:

Cool. The bar and stem combination I bought aren't compatible even thought they're both 31.8mm because the steam has to be put on bars at a narrower position and then slid into place. That won't work with aero bars. I hate every bicycle and bicycle part manufacturer.

Can you post a picture? I’m confused by the stem part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Can you post a picture? I’m confused by the stem part.

It’s a stem where the faceplate is one piece with the rest of the stem, you’d see that design a lot on older quill stem bikes.