Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Both Blade Runner films are amazing, 2 of my favourites. Looking forward to Dune as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't know if its apocrypha but they say Ford was so vehemently against the bad narration he did it as badly as possible but they still used it

Ford denied that when directly asked but he gets weird talking about Blade Runner sometimes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mean, I do understand in some ways but not others. It's just so incredibly gross and disturbing.

Typing this fast because I have to take tiny rear end breaths of smokey air!

So, one of the ways the cisheteropatriarchal capitalist order enables its 'progress' is through mass exploitation of cheap labor, and one of the ways it does that is by dividing of the populace into various atomized 'roles' of domestication and specialization. Controlling reproductive rights, for example, is one of the primary ways in which 'women's work' continues to go unacknowledged and unpaid within that system, necessitating that women are tied to husbands for financial security, etc. When populations can be forced into precarity due to having something to lose (ie children) they are far less likely to be able to organize for better conditions and challenge authority.

In that scene, Wallace lays out his opinions on progress and free/cheap labor, demonstrates his blatant objectification of and disregard for his laborer's autonomy and livelihood in a way in which contemporary audiences would specifically understand: assualt on a woman's right to reproductive health. He does this as he projects trauma and authority over the born laborer and discusses with his loyal slave why the key to stellar expansion lies in outright control of reproduction within replicants, because they are mere assets of capital, things. This is very much how slavers thought of the black body in the 17th and 18th centuries, and how legal definitions of black bodies as property were constructed to give further incentive and momentum to expand slave labor into new territories.

The themes of brutal labor resource control and its antipode of organized labor revolt are yet relevant to our global capitalist moment, and I guarantee that the oil bankers, financial traders, and tech CEOs in silicon valley are all as vile, annoying, and psychotically pragmatic as Jared Leto's depiction.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

like retconning Rachel from being 'just' an android who is nevertheless capable of love into literally The Robot Virgin Mary feels really hackneyed

I've talked to a lot of fans of the original who really disagree with you here. I had no idea Villanueve was going to go that route and I also thought it was an elegant expansion off the original idea.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I went to wikipedia just now and even Gangs of New York, the kind of sweeping historical epic that I associate with the more indulgent side of Scorsese, is 167 minutes long. Meanwhile loving Avengers Endgame is over 3 hours. lmao comic book movies are trash.

Gangs of New York is really drat good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I've talked to a lot of fans of the original who really disagree with you here. I had no idea Villanueve was going to go that route and I also thought it was an elegant expansion off the original idea.

No, it's a poor expansion of the original "idea" because it ascribes a literal messianic purpose to Deckard and Rachael's meeting instead of reinforcing the original's themes that the very act of being human in the modern world is itself strange, isolating and alien. Many people are saying this!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

If "understanding" is thinking there's artful mastery in spending the bulk of the movie watching ryan gosling go full qanon over his own fake backstory then I'm fuckin' dying to hear your interpretation

I can assure you, as witness to racist cop melodrama on a near daily basis for 3+ months now, it's not every day that cops pine for revolution.

I'm sure, were it to ever happen, it might cause such individuals to freak out for a second.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Wolfsheim posted:

I dont think any fans of the original film are arguing that point on behalf of the awful theatrical cut :laffo:

I do agree all the ties to the original feel weirdly fan fictiony, like retconning Rachel from being 'just' an android who is nevertheless capable of love into literally The Robot Virgin Mary feels really hackneyed, and it's made worse by the fact that you can almost feel how much the director enjoys K's personal problems before sighing and filming the scene of blind Jared Leto rambling about whether Deckard is a replicant or not.

I have to go back and watch the original again but if I recall The original movie directly said that Rachel was unique, and unlike all the Nexus Sixes she had no expiration date. So I don't think that's a retcon at all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
PS5: Gaming nerds ape cinema nerds.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

BitBasher posted:

I have to go back and watch again but if I recall The original movie directly said that Rachel was unique, and unlike all the Nexus Sixes she had no expiration date

That was a narration from the theatrical cut, which was thankfully excised in all future versions of the film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

No, it's a poor expansion of the original "idea" because it ascribes a literal messianic purpose to Deckard and Rachael's meeting instead of reinforcing the original's themes that the very act of being human in the modern world is itself strange, isolating and alien. Many people are saying this!

Disagree!

It suggests that as one possible explanation and literally does not dwell on it. Even the context of the scene in which that is discussed is vague and possibly manipulative, and thus pretty interesting imo. The film spends far more time considering the ramifications of how such a meeting's consequences would ripple outward and affect others, which is of particular interest whenever we discuss historical revolutionary figures, their acquaintances, and those who were influenced by them.

Both films are particularly focused, in their own ways, on how normal life is endured under precarity, and the alienation and atomization inherent in such lives. I think it's pretty dishonest to assert that 2049 doesn't pick up where the original left of wrt isolation under the occupying force of capitalist materialism.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm calling a jihad on Blade Runner chat

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm calling a jihad on Blade Runner chat

as long as the thread title is what it is i don't give a poo poo what you say :blastu:

bring it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"The ramifications of how such a meeting's consequences would ripple outward and affect others, which is of particular interest whenever we discuss historical revolutionary figures" is some prime undergraduate film student writing. I give it a B-, verbose but lacks accuracy.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I posted this earlier in the thread but i added it in an edit before realizing that there had been 8 posts before I edited it and on a new page, so I’ll post it again, but driving home from work the other day (I live in Northern California so it’s Smokey as f) the sun looked like the eclipse from Dark Souls 3

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No it didn't.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
ok well, 'reminded me of the eclipse'*, it was the first thing i thought of when i saw it, not just the sun necessarily, but the color of the sky etc.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Before the jihad goes into effect, I just want to point out the often missed little detail about the directors cut of BR as it directly relates to BR2049. In the directors cut there’s an added scene where Deckard’s partner is in a hospital stasis chamber recovering from his injuries after being shot in the beginning scene by the first replicant (the sweaty one with the mustache). It turns out that after BR, that detective goes on to become Jared Lego’s character in BR 2049, Wallace himself. Yes, that’s right. By accepted canon in several circles that study the film, the detective, after healing from his injuries, shucked the life of law enforcement and with a new zeal for violence and a hatred for replicants used his family ties to work his way up to become the pseudo-deity of Wallace industries that he is. It’s no surprise at all that we see him gutting a replicant, in the exact spot on the belly where he himself was shot several years prior. He looks younger and sounds different because he had to change his appearance to fully dispose of his old persona. He lost his vision in the original shooting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That's the workprint cut not the director's!!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Before the jihad goes into effect, I just want to point out the often missed little detail about the directors cut of BR as it directly relates to BR2049. In the directors cut there’s an added scene where Deckard’s partner is in a hospital stasis chamber recovering from his injuries after being shot in the beginning scene by the first replicant (the sweaty one with the mustache). It turns out that after BR, that detective goes on to become Jared Lego’s character in BR 2049, Wallace himself. Yes, that’s right. By accepted canon in several circles that study the film, the detective, after healing from his injuries, shucked the life of law enforcement and with a new zeal for violence and a hatred for replicants used his family ties to work his way up to become the pseudo-deity of Wallace industries that he is. It’s no surprise at all that we see him gutting a replicant, in the exact spot on the belly where he himself was shot several years prior. He looks younger and sounds different because he had to change his appearance to fully dispose of his old persona. He lost his vision in the original shooting.

lol

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I didn’t see 2049 but I was pissed that they fired Johann Johansson (RIP) who would’ve done a much better job than Hans Zimmer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

CineD brain-worms posting has to stop

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BR2049 is real good but a little overlong and boring at times imo. Not worth 99% of the 110+ new posts I just read being about it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK I think we have exhausted the Blade runner derailing :) Some like it, some do not.

Now how about that Blood borne?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How much with the PlayStation 5 cost?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Blade Runner, in the air
in a flying saucer, I can take you there

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

stev posted:

How much with the PlayStation 5 cost?

$469

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

OK I think we have exhausted the Blade runner derailing :) Some like it, some do not.

Now how about that Blood borne?

Yes, you should play it !

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Imhotep posted:

Yes, you should play it !

I have it installed! I may go back to it! IF I can remember anything I was doing :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Blood Borner 42069 was a disappointment.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

I have it installed! I may go back to it! IF I can remember anything I was doing :)

How much more did you play after beating Father G? If would be dope if both you and Esco became huge From fans within months of each other.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The best Blade Runner was the Westwood voxel-based adventure game

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All I have to do is fight off the craving to play DaS2 for another week and then I’ll be neck-deep in old Mario. Still messing around in THPS, unlocked all the levels from the first game so now I’m working on the second. Probably gonna finally do my DBH rear end in a top hat run too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

We got the blood skies in Southern California too, is it moving or spreading

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Typing this fast because I have to take tiny rear end breaths of smokey air!

So, one of the ways the cisheteropatriarchal capitalist order enables its 'progress' is through mass exploitation of cheap labor, and one of the ways it does that is by dividing of the populace into various atomized 'roles' of domestication and specialization. Controlling reproductive rights, for example, is one of the primary ways in which 'women's work' continues to go unacknowledged and unpaid within that system, necessitating that women are tied to husbands for financial security, etc. When populations can be forced into precarity due to having something to lose (ie children) they are far less likely to be able to organize for better conditions and challenge authority.

In that scene, Wallace lays out his opinions on progress and free/cheap labor, demonstrates his blatant objectification of and disregard for his laborer's autonomy and livelihood in a way in which contemporary audiences would specifically understand: assualt on a woman's right to reproductive health. He does this as he projects trauma and authority over the born laborer and discusses with his loyal slave why the key to stellar expansion lies in outright control of reproduction within replicants, because they are mere assets of capital, things. This is very much how slavers thought of the black body in the 17th and 18th centuries, and how legal definitions of black bodies as property were constructed to give further incentive and momentum to expand slave labor into new territories.

The themes of brutal labor resource control and its antipode of organized labor revolt are yet relevant to our global capitalist moment, and I guarantee that the oil bankers, financial traders, and tech CEOs in silicon valley are all as vile, annoying, and psychotically pragmatic as Jared Leto's depiction.
Intellectually I get all of that. It's just like holy poo poo. Without that scene it feels like something I can recommend to other fans of serious sci-fi, but with that scene it's something I can only recommend to people who want to have a really bad night.

It's not a perfect analogy, but Wings of Honneamise is in almost all regards a lovely movie about humanity trying to do its best and also struggle with corruption in society and stuff. And then the main character tries to rape someone out of the blue in order to demonstrate the corruption in society and I'm like poo poo, I can hardly recommend this movie to anyone anymore.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 11, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
The fires are just everywhere in California I guess. Even tho there’s fires every summer here, I’d never seen ash fall from the sky before, the other day my car was covered in ash. Also similar to the Dreg Heap in the Ringed city...

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

That Black Myth Wukong trailer that dropped out of nowhere and took the world by storm a few weeks ago? IGN China got a review with the devs. It’s a great read. Endearing, even, and honestly my heart goes out to this little group of 30(!) semi-experienced artists and programmers. They went from nobody ever even knowing the name of their studio to releasing a demo of their dream realized to having over 10,000 people asking for an opportunity to join their team. It’s really rad to hear about artists winning.

https://www.ign.com/articles/black-myth-wukong-making-of-behind-the-scenes-exclusive

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Imhotep posted:

The fires are just everywhere in California I guess. Even tho there’s fires every summer here, I’d never seen ash fall from the sky before, the other day my car was covered in ash. Also similar to the Dreg Heap in the Ringed city...

This is what I'm hearing when I look outside, weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9wlHb4M5zw

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Thanks for the help this ones for you today's a good day this ones for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Has anyone played Hotshot Racing yet? It's real cheap and a huge throwback to 90s low poly arcade racers so I'm enjoying it a lot!

https://youtu.be/qA2zdW9vrK0