Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

PostNouveau posted:

Really funny that the woman The Deep liked best in their creepy casting call just made a completely emotionally flat sexual pass at him.
That combined with the look on his face after Homelander makes the comment about the gills has me convinced he hasn't changed at all. It'll be really entertaining to watch his downfall. Or redemption. I'd be fine with either one, but I'm not buying the fact that he's completely changed because he joined a cult and had a drinking problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I thought the memes were supposed to be bad, I took it as Homelander only now discovering them and just getting mad that he was getting mocked at all

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

That combined with the look on his face after Homelander makes the comment about the gills has me convinced he hasn't changed at all. It'll be really entertaining to watch his downfall. Or redemption. I'd be fine with either one, but I'm not buying the fact that he's completely changed because he joined a cult and had a drinking problem.

He's not even able to engage with the parts of their faux-Scientology that are basically therapy. Of course he hasn't changed at all. His talk with Starlight at the whale shows where he's gotten to. He's got a couple of sentences he can recite that sound vaguely remorseful, but it's an inch deep.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Aces High posted:

I thought the memes were supposed to be bad, I took it as Homelander only now discovering them and just getting mad that he was getting mocked at all

i think it's tryna make memes everyone can understand

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

He's not even able to engage with the parts of their faux-Scientology that are basically therapy. Of course he hasn't changed at all. His talk with Starlight at the whale shows where he's gotten to. He's got a couple of sentences he can recite that sound vaguely remorseful, but it's an inch deep.

I kind of really like the idea of an incredibly stupid person wrestling with ‘deep’ philosophical concepts but simply being too stupid to understand what he is reckoning with.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SardonicTyrant posted:

See, to me I don't think Stormfront is Liberty because the characters in-universe are speculating about it. It makes me think there's got to be a twist to it, like how Homelander's son was the big twist in S1.

It's definitely her voice. Like, before the reveal, I said to myself, "That's Aya Cash's voice. That's Stormfront." And then, yup.

Also, what is with this season and Billy Joel? Was he all over season 1 too and I just forgot?

Bioshuffle posted:

Have you looked at Reddit lately? How about GBS? They're absolutely spot on with the memes. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the creators of the memes logged on here afterwards to try and police what can and can't pass as memes.

Oh hey, you saw the episode. So uh...what do ya think of Stormfront/Liberty?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I hope they're planning to eliminate or reintegrate The Deep because just cutting to him every episode for a little comedy relief is getting old.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gobbeldygook posted:

I hope they're planning to eliminate or reintegrate The Deep because just cutting to him every episode for a little comedy relief is getting old.

Yeah, I already felt this way about halfway into season 1. His plot largely feels like it's going nowhere. I assume this cult thing will eventually become important, though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I liked all the interview cuts in this show. E4 is a very delicate balancing act but I feel like they did a really good job of keeping the plates spinning.

The only thing I’m confused on is... like is Hue just a dogshit lay? I thought he and Starfire were really gelling and getting along and she just pumps the breaks after he, like, compromises their important recon mission by bringing her along and they end up hooking up?

I feel stupid because I am NOT missing any of the obvious Nazi imagery and ideology but a normal human woman’s response to a relationship is a total mystery to me, lol

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I already felt this way about halfway into season 1. His plot largely feels like it's going nowhere. I assume this cult thing will eventually become important, though.

It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up playing a pivotal role in bringing down Stormfront. Especially if you consider that electricity and water don't play nicely together.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Gobbeldygook posted:

I liked the abrupt pay off with the interview cuts.

I hope The Deep's B-Plot similarly pays off. Just an abrupt ohhhh.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bust Rodd posted:

I liked all the interview cuts in this show. E4 is a very delicate balancing act but I feel like they did a really good job of keeping the plates spinning.

The only thing I’m confused on is... like is Hue just a dogshit lay? I thought he and Starfire were really gelling and getting along and she just pumps the breaks after he, like, compromises their important recon mission by bringing her along and they end up hooking up?

I feel stupid because I am NOT missing any of the obvious Nazi imagery and ideology but a normal human woman’s response to a relationship is a total mystery to me, lol

I don't think he's a bad lay at all - esp from season 1 where he makes her eyes light up.

She just wanted a final romantic trist before cutting things off before Homelander kill the both of them.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Also, what is with this season and Billy Joel? Was he all over season 1 too and I just forgot?

No, that's new. I think the only prior mention was in the 1st episode, Huey said to his girlfriend "don't you ever disrespect Billy Joel" right before she exploded.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The Deep's current plot reminds me of that Chuck Palahniuk book "Survivor," about a cult member in way over his head who is manufactured into being a televangelist and doesn't understand anything that's happening to him.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh... the "we should not see each other" is about the danger to both of them, the trip was nice and all but that life is just an illusion, they can't keep on doing it, Homelander would eventually just kill her and laser his head off.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bust Rodd posted:

I assume they were both in a real bad place and they were missing each other (they've been barely been able to see each other, and always for non-personal stuff). This caused them to do something that was sweet but also stupid/dangerous (taking a road trip together). Starlight realizes one or both of them are going to get killed if they keep seeing each others and she wants to be the adult in the room?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

That Italian Guy posted:

I assume they were both in a real bad place and they were missing each other (they've been barely been able to see each other, and always for non-personal stuff). This caused them to do something that was sweet but also stupid/dangerous (taking a road trip together). Starlight realizes one or both of them are going to get killed if they keep seeing each others and she wants to be the adult in the room?

She knows that Homelander can tell when she's lying, and she skirted around the real truth without lying to him in the elevator when he threatened to kill her. She's not going to be able to pull that off again, and yeah, she doesn't want to get either of them killed.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Accretionist posted:

I liked the abrupt pay off with the interview cuts.

I hope The Deep's B-Plot similarly pays off. Just an abrupt ohhhh.
It's more likely he continues getting owned. TV shows frequently develop a somewhat unsympathetic punching bag character that the writers just roast every chance they get. So I predict The Deep will rejoin the main cast in the final episode of this season but also get majorly owned, like Stormfront electrocutes him and now he has weird neurological issues.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's more likely he continues getting owned. TV shows frequently develop a somewhat unsympathetic punching bag character that the writers just roast every chance they get. So I predict The Deep will rejoin the main cast in the final episode of this season but also get majorly owned, like Stormfront electrocutes him and now he has weird neurological issues.

Ugh. I hate those types of characters.

But hey, at least his subconscious knew his MO, that was kinda cool. Oswalt/The Gills had a pretty good chat with The Deep

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Watched episode 3 last night and I get the feeling Stormfront is going to be brutally raped and/or murdered by the end of the season.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

latinotwink1997 posted:

Watched episode 3 last night and I get the feeling Stormfront is going to be brutally raped and/or murdered by the end of the season.

... the gently caress?

Murdered, hopefully, why we gotta get all Gitmo with this poo poo bruh

Edit: And dammit, she better get an eye poked out here soon

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BrotherJayne posted:

... the gently caress?

Murdered, hopefully, why we gotta get all Gitmo with this poo poo bruh

Edit: And dammit, she better get an eye poked out here soon

The show’s villain is a rapist, and the Deep also raped Starlight in the first episode, so it’s just... a part of the show.

Avasculous posted:

No, that's new. I think the only prior mention was in the 1st episode, Huey said to his girlfriend "don't you ever disrespect Billy Joel" right before she exploded.

Right and thematically the Billy Joel music is what pushes Hue to tell Starlight how he really feels. It’s a way to tie S2 back to Robin despite her never appearing on screen and Hue having a new love interest. It’s a very classical form of symbolism, like the billboard with the eyes from Great Gatsby

They pretty heavily imply something happened to MM’s mom at Vought or because of Vought, at least that’s my read from the scene about his dad

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 11, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

There are times when I find myself sympathizing with Homelander, especially as we get more and more insight into why he is the way he is. Poor guy never had a chance. Having said that, I love watching him squirm and throwing tantrums as Stormfront puts him in his place. When you get past the big tough exterior, he's basically just a big baby.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

As someone who fell into an eerily similar roadtrip fantasy ex-relationship rerun, it actually made sense to me.

But I think in the show the important breaking point (which I actually just went back and rewatched all the Starlight scenes to get a handle of) is the meeting about Liberty and putting the dots together about Stormfront. I brought everything back to "holy gently caress I live in a tower with a loaded gun and an ageless Nazi nightmare".

Also the Lovers of Valdaro which Deeps future wife mentions turned out to be loving gaybros which I loving love, unrelated

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

But really, tell us again how Stormfront is not coded as a racist.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Black Noir only member or the Seven that treats it like a job

Hope they don’t take him in the comics direction, that plot was pretty dumb

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 11, 2020

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Black noir is the real MVP of the show. And he doesn't even identify as any race!

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

ZZZorcerer posted:

Understanding why Homelander is how he is is one thing, sympathizing lol

Maybe he meant to use the word empathy instead of sympathy, considering he was still humming and hawwing about Stormfront being a Nazi I wouldn't put it past him to mix up the two.

Either way I don't think either word is that appropriate, you can definetly understand why Homelander is how he is.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mr. Nemo posted:

Black noir is the real MVP of the show.

It's that raw physical charisma.

He's either working or charming.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mr. Nemo posted:

And he doesn't even identify as any race!

He seemed to at least partially identify as crispy bacon

Edit:

Bust Rodd posted:

The show’s villain is a rapist, and the Deep also raped Starlight in the first episode, so it’s just... a part of the show.

And The Deep got gill-raped, yeah yeah

But I'd rather not find any sympathy stirred within me for the Supe Nazi.

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 11, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

New thread title

The Boys Season 2: Supe Nazi

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay after recent events, am I the only one who hears "Supe Terrorist" as "Soup Terrorist" ? :haw:

I keep thinking Soup and Crackers

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

Black noir is the real MVP of the show. And he doesn't even identify as any race!

I think this one puts a big dent in my theory that Black Noir acts normally when the camera isn't around. He doesn't talk to the analyst lady and Homelander has clearly never seen him with his costume off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gobbeldygook posted:

They already did with the whole going after the boys boat and whale thing :v:

latinotwink1997 posted:

Watched episode 3 last night and I get the feeling Stormfront is going to be murdered by the end of the season.

lets skip the first thing you implied but yeah, I'm pretty terrified that Homelander will kill her any second.

I will give the show this; having a characters' head explode and not really explaining why is a bit contrived, but between that and Homelander getting ready to kill everybody, the show now has me on a complete knife edge.

I spent half of last episode truly terrified that any character could die at any moment. We've hit Game of Thrones levels of murder and tension. I really like The Boys characters and Annie and Kimiko. I don't want any of them to die but odds are somebody will by the end. This show is gonna be intense.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 11, 2020

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thought for sure Black Noir was gonna come wreck Butcher since they played up tracking him and the facial recognition. It just paid off once he hosed off outta there, haha.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

lets skip the first thing you implied but yeah, I'm pretty terrified that Homelander will kill her any second.

I will give the show this; having a characters' head explode and not really explaining why is a bit contrived, but between that and Homelander getting ready to kill everybody, the show now has me on a complete knife edge.

I spent half of last episode truly terrified that any character could die at any moment. We've hit Game of Thrones levels of murder and tension. I really like The Boys characters and Annie and Kimiko. I don't want any of them to die but odds are somebody will by the end. This show is gonna be intense.

Good news then, it's fairly obvious those two are being positioned as stormfront's foil, what with Annie ability to siphon electricity being demo'd

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, when Annie and Hughie were saying goodbye on the crowded streets, I was just waiting for the camera to pan out and see someone watching them, or for them to get attacked. They were being pretty careless right then, and I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, when Annie and Hughie were saying goodbye on the crowded streets, I was just waiting for the camera to pan out and see someone watching them, or for them to get attacked. They were being pretty careless right then, and I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Yeah, same. They focused before that scene started on a poster of her too. Hughie was so crazy paranoid in the first episode and now they're just hanging out in public.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it’s kind of a trope for old CIA guys like butcher and MM to be like “this isn’t a date don’t get soft!” but then one night of booty and suddenly Hughie is like a total reset to S1 E1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah it’s kind of a trope for old CIA guys like butcher and MM to be like “this isn’t a date don’t get soft!” but then one night of booty and suddenly Hughie is like a total reset to S1 E1

They never talk about the other effects of V, but that's the power of Super Booty