Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's not even a real article, it's a forum post at best.
MS had their price leaked, it was a day ago, sony will do their thing pretty soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nuts and Gum posted:

~honest posting only zone~

I *did* beat Bloodborne in only 12 hours tho, you guys are such haters

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Michael Pachter had a good insight, that Sony wanted to wait out MS to have them reveal pricing first. MS as a corp has a lot more resources (cash), and can afford to take more of a hit on margins than Sony can. Pachter's thinking was if Sony unveiled pricing first, then MS could come in $50 or $100 lower to claw back some market share they bled over this gen.

The XSS leak including pricing seems to have forced MS's hand to unveil first.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There's still nobody talking about Hotshot Racing. I assume nobody went to the arcades in the 90s and sat for as long as their pocket money lasted on polygonal driving games like Ridge Racer, Virtua Racing and Daytona...

It's really good, guys!

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Re: Nioh problems:

You can cheese some bosses by equipping those different amrita stones as quick use items and boost up your demon form with those.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lol I was little only a few minutes from the final credits. Death Stranding done. Good game, premise and game play was ace, plot dumb as hell, characters "a bunch of loonys," as described by my fiancee. Is it a top 10 game? Maybe, itll be close..

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

XboxSEX and XboxSS is what I use with coworkers. The SS having a giant speaker on the side to play horns.aiff when you boot it up.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Pachter has been wrong about almost everything he has ever said, I think it probably benefits Sony to go second again, of course, but that dude's a loose unit and I hate his glasses.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s not even really insight it’s just basic obvious stuff

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Are you ever going to play Nioh, Esco? Is that in the schedule? Have you already?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He still has at least 3 real Fromsoft Soulsy games to get through before having to resort to the off brand knockoffs.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven’t played Nioh. I won’t be playing any Soulslikes while I still have more of the actual thing to go, but if I do play one eventually, it’ll probably be that. Looks way more interesting to me than Mortal Shell or The Surge or something.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Hmmm, time to try and finish Greedfall next I think

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I've been having the hardest time finishing the FF7 remake. Im at Shinra HQ but there is something about this game that just hasn't hooked me. I want to finish to see how the ending is different since I heard so many people complain about it, but I'll eventually get there if I can stop distracting myself with other games.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I haven’t played Nioh. I won’t be playing any Soulslikes while I still have more of the actual thing to go, but if I do play one eventually, it’ll probably be that. Looks way more interesting to me than Mortal Shell or The Surge or something.

That checks out, I think that's probably the correct way to approach it.

blackguy32 posted:

I've been having the hardest time finishing the FF7 remake. Im at Shinra HQ but there is something about this game that just hasn't hooked me. I want to finish to see how the ending is different since I heard so many people complain about it, but I'll eventually get there if I can stop distracting myself with other games.

I was in a similar place and pushing through and getting to the ending was very rewarding, I really enjoyed it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/Xbudz/status/1304660455021883392?s=19

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

my :siren:THREE GIRL:siren: housemates saw me fighting Owl (father) once and have never stopped asking me how ‘owl father’ is

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

:3:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Made it to the first DLC boss and deleted the game, I dunno if light armour is a trap or should only be worn by people who never get hit ever but every move he did one shot me and I had to use sloth scrolls to have him at what I would consider a reasonable speed.

The living weapon can only be used when it's charged up and if someone is struggling there's a good chance they've died without get their souls back so you lose both the souls you drop, your current souls and any charge on the Amrita gauge. When you're doing boss runs you've not very likely to charge it up much either as only acquiring amrita adds to it. Ranged weapons are fine but they're useless against bosses and have limited ammo.

Every thing that breaks the game has to be deliberately specced into because you know it breaks the game or stumble on it by accident out of tons of weapons and items of varying usefulness with limited skill points. God forbid you're bad at parrying and want to use swords too.

I use swords and I suck at parrying. Their main advantage is that despite their short range, they do very respectable damage at a decently high speed, especially once you get the mystic art that improves damage from behind (where you should mostly try to be in the first place), and their low stance also hits fast enough to make elemental buildup easy. In Nioh 1, they're especially good because their Living Weapon combo is infinite, letting you stunlock even powerful enemies until you run out of meter. Speaking of Living Weapon, charging it becomes easier as enemies drop more Amrita on death, and you can force-reload it by using a few small Amrita stones, which become less valuable as the game progresses for levelling purposes once just killing a couple of regular enemies can get you the same returns, but never stop being useful for recharging your gauge because that always requires a flat amount of Amrita.

It's also worth noting that pretty much every useful tool exists in item form, letting you try them all out without investing skill points, and using items will also increase your magic and ninjitsu experience, letting you buy permanent, reusable versions of the stuff you like. Lots of ninja/magic skills are also self-buffs and passives that don't require stat investment, and will help a strength build just fine.

The game wants you to experiment, which is precisely why it throws so many weird and wonderful tools at you. If you get an item, use that item to fight the next enemy you come across and see how good it is, because you'll probably get more soon, and using it puts you one step along the road to being able to buy it for keeps.

I also note that you're using light armour. The advantage of that is that it lets you keep your distance by making your dodges longer, giving you more I-frames, and making them cost less stamina. The disadvantage is that it makes blocking attacks more stamina-expensive. In other words, light armour builds are mainly about pelting enemies from a distance with ninjitsu and magic and self-buffing (which you can do before the fight) until they're weak enough and you're strong enough to let you close in and rip them apart. It's absolutely not a trap, because all those tools are very powerful, but it makes getting up close with the enemy without adequate preparation significantly less viable, so you need to use all those tools.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 12, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

my :siren:THREE GIRL:siren: housemates saw me fighting Owl (father) once and have never stopped asking me how ‘owl father’ is

Well?!!!
Are you going to let us know?!!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I never liked F1 but I played the poo poo out of Virtua Racing. It looked like black magic to me in 1992.

The Virtua name reminds me of Virtua Striker trilogy and I wonder why SEGA doesn't just sell them again since they only had national teams and not a single real name. I miss the days of arcadey football games and I still play almost on a daily basis at least a match of the PS1 Winning Eleven games. I should just get ACA Super Sidekicks 2 on PSN amd scratch that itch.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Well?!!!

He art in heaven, obviously.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Rocket Knight Adventures, 1993

Shovel Knight, 2014

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prince of Persia (2003)

Prince of Persia (2021)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe I’ll replay Nioh some day to experience all this cool magic and ninjutsu stuff, but it’s just such an intimidating and I never got the feeling that my Nioh character could beat any of my Bloodborne characters.

Like, Wolf from Sekiro would be able to fight 2 or 3 of my Hoonters at once and walk away. I feel like Big Willy would get stomped into the ground before he had finished charging his ki.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Well?!!!

Dead in the dirt, right next to the Great Shinobi Owl.

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe I’ll replay Nioh some day to experience all this cool magic and ninjutsu stuff, but it’s just such an intimidating and I never got the feeling that my Nioh character could beat any of my Bloodborne characters.

Like, Wolf from Sekiro would be able to fight 2 or 3 of my Hoonters at once and walk away. I feel like Big Willy would get stomped into the ground before he had finished charging his ki.

Skip Nioh and play Nioh 2, it’s way more fun imo.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 12, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Play Nioh 1, it's good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In the same way I am not one of those “watch this bad show until S4 when it gets good!” kinda people, I really struggle with games that “really open up after the first 20 hours”.

Devil May Cry and other action games can make you feel strong early and curve that power fantasy into Godhood later, Nioh just made me feel clumsy and slow for the 10-15 hours I spent playing it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I did not have that experience with Nioh at all. You're not a super powerful character right out of the gate, but I don't think it forces clumsiness or slowness on you at all.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Well?!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rnJob1XrFk&t=7s

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I played Nioh 1 and beat it.

This the most average game I’ve played.

Not bad but not great

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Prince of Persia (2003)

Yet again I have to schedule a cataracts checkup

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I've had a few brain injuries since that game came out, but that's not what it looked like, right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you played it on a console it was almost certainly on a 480p/i CRT, so it would be blurrier and more washed out than that, but the assets look right

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is there likely to be a price-drop on the ps4 as soon as the ps5 release date is announced?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Nioh is good and as others said gets much easier in the late game. I am waiting for Nioh 2 to go on sale and everything I've read/seen leads me to believe it's much better than the first one.

It doesn't get mentioned much but I recently finished the Surge 2 and it's incredibly rad. I really love the aesthetic and it's such an improvement over the original they aren't even comparable. I ended up buying a copy for my younger brother on steam because I felt like the difficulty curve was just right for someone who has never played a souls like. That being said I went back and powered through the original Surge despite how loving ball busting it is and ended up enjoying it at the end once the story and environment got a little more fleshed out.

Definitely took a lot of willpower to see it through though. Once you get to the second to last level it just gets so unforgiving but my brain keeps telling me I really enjoyed it now that I've beaten it. I think I really just love harvesting body parts?

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmR1ehmmwkc after like 30-35 hours this song gives me ptsd :shepface:

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 12, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1304768250400530432?s=19

Wednesday it is

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

He is the 4th boss, at the absolute minimum, but for the average player he'll likely be the 7th boss, who is also preceded by numerous mini-bosses as well.

The skill curve on approach to him is so finely tuned that (from a development standpoint, QA) it might be one of the most impressive and satisfying skill-checks ever put into an action videogame.

What? No he can definitely be 2nd (not counting the Intro boss fight where you get your arm cut off.) You can fight Gyoubu and then him. It’s also possible to defeat lady butterfly before him as well the false corrupted monk (but that one is very unlikely for a new player)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Watch them avoid the price tag (I hope they just go all in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno, Nioh definitely made me feel like a monster by the lategame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7TICt0UXwg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beb57-tbYWU

I should see about recording and uploading some Nioh 2 fights, because that game eventually turns into 'build your own Soulsborne boss'.