Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for warning my brother’s girlfriend that she’s making everyone uncomfortable with her over the top reactions to touching?

quote:

My brothers been dating this girl Julie for 6ish months. They live quite far so we have never met Julie. I’m living with my parents at the moment.

Brother and Julie arrived last weekend for a 2 week visit. Brother gave us the heads up before they came that Julie didn’t like to be touched.

When they arrived we hugged brother but respected her space and gave her a friendly wave. I honestly didn’t have any sort of issue and I don’t think my parents did either. Throughout this week though it’s become clear that this isn’t just a normal boundary.

Julie is extreme in her reactions. No one has intentionally touched her, mind you. There was an incident a day in where my dad brushed up against her in the kitchen and she had a complete fit. She was hyperventilating and freaking out. Brother managed it since he was right there, but it was pretty concerning.

Since then, the entire house has been walking on eggshells around her. If you so much as walk in her direction she will take this deep, audible breath, and just stare wide eyed. Making eye contact with her is 50/50 on whether she will start to get all freaked out.

Now the house is pretty small. It’s quite difficult for 5 adults to operate when one of them is a step away from a conniption. We have all tried our best over the week to accommodate her but it’s definitely gotten on everyone’s nerves.

Last night my parents were confiding to me how uncomfortable they were in their own home. I feel the same obviously. It’s not that Julie doesn’t want to be touched, it’s that she always assumes we are trying to touch her whenever we look at her or walk in her direction. It’s incredibly tense to be in the same space as her because she looks at you like you’re some monster trying to hurt her.

I decided to talk to my brother today and ask if Julie was ok. He INSISTED that Julie is totally fine and apparently having a good time. He straight up refused to acknowledge that she was making us uncomfortable and basically told me to gently caress off.

I waited ‘til the evening and talked to Julie. I managed to catch her alone and talked to her from a distance. I basically just said that the family have all been really uncomfortable with her reactions. Again, not that she doesn’t like touching, but that she is so extreme in her fear towards us. I tried to be sympathetic and kind in my words but she did NOT react well.

She started crying and just said that she didn’t know we hated her (??) and she was doing her best. I ended up just apologizing for mentioning it and escaped to my room. My brother came to yell at me shortly after that. He gave me a thorough telling off and basically called me a huge rear end in a top hat.

I haven’t spoken to my parents but I’m pretty confident they would be on my side here.

From a third party perspective am I the rear end in a top hat?

TLDR: Told brother girlfriend to cool it with her reactions and it didn’t go well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

I went to a school where the uniform was suit jacket, button down and tie and all that uniform taught me was rich kids have too much loving money.

The top one is giving me intense female author trying to write from a man's perspective and failing.

Were your parents trying to make you hate uniforms and the corporate lifestyle so you'd be more inclined to become a gay space communist?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for wanting my family to leave me alone in the morning?

quote:

By family, I am talking about my 3 kids and husband. I know this makes me sound like an rear end in a top hat because obviously, as a mom, I dont get the luxury of alone time and I cant just push them away because I signed up for this.

However, I purposely get up an hour before anyone else so I can wake up without the million questions. I have been setting my alarm for 530am so I can just drink my coffee on my front deck in silence. This has always been my "coping mechanism" when it comes to my mental health and anxiety, which I have had a history of since childhood.

I have gone out of my way to make sure I tell both my kids and husband this, just so they dont feel like I am isolating myself because this is truly a 'me' problem and I dont want them blaming themselves or thinking I dont love them or want to hang out with them. But it appears that no matter how many times I tell them that I just need that hour in the morning, they continue to harp on me. In fact, my husband now insists on joining me; which is 100% fine! I love it, dont get me wrong. But he blares his phone volume or doesnt stop talking and I dont have a moment to think clearly. By the time he goes indoors, my kids are outside harping on me about breakfast (they are up by 7am at the latest).

So, this morning I attempted to set my alarm earlier (445am). I had a lot of things to go over in my head and a lot of things that I needed to schedule out and plan for and I simply need silence to work through this mess internally. When my alarm went off my husband instantly hopped up and I calmly asked him to just give me at least a half hour. He took it as an instant attack on him and assumed I didnt want to be around him; despite my numerous conversations with him.

Just so happens that this morning my kids were up at 515am and were instantly down my throats about cooking them breakfast or watching tv or playing video games. All things they know the rules about (no tv until chores are done. No video games until noon. Breakfast is at 8am). I will admit that I snapped. I had hit a breaking point because I feel like my one basic request is outright ignored by everyone in the house. I'm bawling my eyes out at this point begging everyone to just leave me alone.

My husband took this moment to hit me with a low blow and said "I cant believe how selfish you have been over one loving hour that you supposedly need. But cool, keep pushing us away." Am I really the rear end in a top hat for just wanting an hour of alone time a day?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Funktastic posted:

:murder:

Not this kids, they just need a step parent who will actually parent them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Were your parents trying to make you hate uniforms and the corporate lifestyle so you'd be more inclined to become a gay space communist?

They got me into a school through connections which if I provide any details would help really narrow down who I am because class sizes were about 10-15 kids a grade and I was by far the least financially well off one at the school. Instead of slacks I had sweatpants that looked like slacks.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
As a reward for good behavior and a very good IK, I am removing slow mode. Don't make me regret it lol.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

As a reward for good behavior and a very good IK, I am removing slow mode. Don't make me regret it lol.

:toot:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for warning my brother’s girlfriend that she’s making everyone uncomfortable with her over the top reactions to touching?

Girl needs therapy

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Batterypowered7 posted:

i loled at this bc it's exactly what happened to me. dsa 4ever.

they used to measure our skirts with a ruler as we entered the lunchroom, and if it was too short you got lunch duty cleaning up after the other kids. or other stupid poo poo, once i had to do it because i forgot my belt for the day. My pants were staying up fine, but it was listed as part of our mandatory dress, so: dress code violation it was.

there was extreme glee from the administration in catching dress code violations and punishing people into conforming. after all, it's part of the rules! giving that sort of power over children to people with authoritarian leanings - it was like handing drugs to an addict. they couldn't get enough. they'd find it in every nook and cranny - they'd manufacture it if they needed a hit.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 12, 2020

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tomfoolery posted:

This is a terribly uninformed post. You release a guillotine with the declic, which is the handle that the executioner pulls down to release the mouton.

Pull the declic to remove detète

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Funktastic posted:

Single parent to 4 kids must be tough.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Girl needs therapy

Yeah she's probably dealing with some ptsd that OP isn't aware of and she needs help. Getting brought over to spend two weeks in tight quarters with her boyfriend's family isn't it.

ArbitraryC posted:

:drat:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ArbitraryC posted:

Comments get disturbing as apparently the husband HATES waking up early but apparently does so anyway when she does. Sounds like a clinger.

How old are these kids? At least one of them should be perfectly capable of getting their own breakfast.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

We like to talk up therapists but honest to gently caress everyone I've ever known who became a therapist started out an incompetent incomplete person.

Anyway good luck finding one less wrong and stupid all the time.

Most people are incompetent and incomplete. A big aspect of getting trained as a therapist is learning to keep your own poo poo separate from the relationship. If we only accepted people who had all their poo poo together as therapists, we would have basically zero therapists.

Right wing conspiracy therapist needs to go because they're letting their issues and opinions into the relationship.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA For refusing my (28f) bfs(30m) 'help' after he made me feel like I ruined his gaming plans by being hospitalised?

quote:

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not looking for relationship advice, I need to know if I'm being a petty rear end in a top hat for refusing help or if he is because of his attitude.

We've been together for 4 years, having problems due to...oh so many things. Currently it's that he can't be bothered to get a job after being unemployed for 8 months after getting sacked for poor work performance. Consequently I've been working 90hr weeks alongside studying to support us. He has spent this time playing video games and sleeping.

I have a severe asthma, work an active job in healthcare and I basically ran myself down and ended up having a severe asthma attack yesterday morning. I called the GP who said call an ambulance. GP had me wake my bf and ask him to stay with me incase I lost consciousness. After, I asked bf to call an ambulance. I couldn't string 2 words together and thought I was going to die. He said "no you do it, I don't know what to say" I got enough air to tell him to say his gf is having an asthma attack.

Waiting for ambulance he said that his day was ruined- he wanted me to go to work so he could do his 12hr gaming stream and now I was sick everything was ruined. I told him to just do it anyway and he said he would have stop if they let me out on the same day to get me so it would ruin his flow. I said don't bother.

Cut to, I'm at the hospital and he's letting me know he's streaming now so don't bother him unless it's important. Hours pass and I message to say when I get out of hospital I wanted to order from my fave Chinese restaurant as a treat because hospital food sucks. He said I'd have to eat it alone he's gaming. I said forget it, I'll go to my mum's. Later he said that he guesses he could stop gaming early if I needed him to as I'm more important. The way he worded it and the grammar used was all stretched out like he was saying it reluctantly. I said no.

Next he asks does he need to bring me things as I have to stay in hospital. I ask if it will interrupt his stream. His says that it will & he wants to get dinner and his friends are waiting on him to play games and basically talked himself out of it. Then said uhh why are you sick today and moaned a bit more. I said "sorry my serious health condition is such an inconvenience for you". Then he back pedalled & said no I didn't mean it I'll bring you stuff you're more important. Not really a spoiler I did not feel important. So I told him no. Don't bother. I'll message you when I'm being discharged and ignored further messages.

I have ALWAYS dropped everything when he's needed me, I have ALWAYS supported him and I NEVER complained about it. I feel like an inconvenience & that he was just saying what he thinks I want to hear.

I will speak to him when I see him but I know he's just gonna say that I can't be mad because he offered to bring me stuff I needed & I said no.

EDIT: I said no need for relationship advice because If Reddit decides I'm justified in my response and I'm not a petty bitch then I'm going to end it. If I am an rear end in a top hat then fine, I accept my judgement and will work on not being so 'sensitive'.

Edit 2 Thank you all very much. I've read what I can but there's just too many and it's honestly becoming a bit stressful. Never expected this many people to bother commenting, it seemed like such a small thing initially. I genuinely thought maybe I am being an rear end in a top hat. BUT I got the message loud and clear. I'm an rear end in a top hat for staying and putting up with his poo poo. He's an rear end in a top hat because...well we all know why. He drove me home and we talked/ argued.

Apparently I'm the rear end in a top hat because he said " you know how important my stream is to me and it's not like I could do anything for you anyways. If I were in hospital and just needed clothes and headphones and you were busy with something then I wouldn't expect you to come and bring me stuff. That's just selfish. You have no empathy for me what-so-ever."

WHATEVER. Do not care. Maybe I am a bitch. So what? I am done. I told him it's over and he needs to move out. He told me no. I told him it's not up to him who I date and that is no longer him. He needs to figure his poo poo out and go. I won't change my mind this time. He says that I've been planning this all along and looking for an excuse. I'm heartless and have no empathy and I'm selfish. Ooookay then.

I think that's all folks. I'm off to see my friend and eat something other than hospital food. WAHOO!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What a loving doormat. Boyf is criminally negligent

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Funktastic posted:

By family, I am talking about my 3 kids and husband. I know this makes me sound like an rear end in a top hat because obviously, as a mom, I dont get the luxury of alone time and I cant just push them away because I signed up for this.
this is the most depressing loving sentiment. You're a parent, now you can never do anything for yourself ever, your life is only your children, also why are you so overbearing quit being such a helicopter mom.

I'd be seriously tempted to get the gently caress out of the house and have a nice coffee somewhere else (even in the car) if I was her. An hour of alone time is not too much to ask, especially considering she's timing it to minimise any inconvenience for the rest of her family.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Solenna posted:

this is the most depressing loving sentiment. You're a parent, now you can never do anything for yourself ever, your life is only your children, also why are you so overbearing quit being such a helicopter mom.

I'd be seriously tempted to get the gently caress out of the house and have a nice coffee somewhere else (even in the car) if I was her. An hour of alone time is not too much to ask, especially considering she's timing it to minimise any inconvenience for the rest of her family.

Yeah there was that dad a couple bajillion pages back who wanted 1 hour of "him" time but it turned out that was immediately after he got home from work and wasn't "helping" with the kids. He literally just did not want to be around his family.

This woman is clearly on the verge of a nervous breakdown and needs her hour of silence.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I loved one of the comments to that one.

quote:

I actually taught my kids with a physical representation of this and encourage other parents to do the same. It worked so well having them be able to see it with their own eyes. I did it for each person too, not just me/mom. Each person got a full glass of water and I set up empty containers. I poured a little of my water in the work container, chores, their containers etc. I poured theirs in school, homework, chores etc. I told them as I was I doing this. By the end each of our cups were empty. I then said Ok now give alittle more. They said they couldn't because their cups were empty. I said exactly. You can't give any more because you have nothing left to give. I then told them side effects to an empty cup. You get cranky, your tired, maybe you will feel overwhelmed, sad, mad, it might even make you feel physically unwell (body aches, headaches etc). Then I taught them how to fill their cup up. Hydration, sleep, food if their hungry, time alone, hobbies, rest, excerise etc. And then each kid got another full glass of water. Now they verbally state Mom my cup is empty. And we go through the process of finding them ways to fill their cup. Occasionally they have called me out and said mom it looks like your cup is empty. Sometimes I need to point it out to them as well and they will say oh yea I guess so. It has really helped us.

If I still had young kids (thank God I don't) I would definitely try that one.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Thank you.

*post*

I promise

*post^

You won’t

*post*

Regret this

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My friend uses this with her fourth grade class except she calls it "filling your bucket" ☺️ it's very cute and really helps kids visualize and understand empathy.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

don longjohns posted:

My friend uses this with her fourth grade class except she calls it "filling your bucket" ☺️ it's very cute and really helps kids visualize and understand empathy.

Problem: Her husband hates getting up early and does it just so he can badger her during her alone time. How do you teach THAT child?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Divorce papers

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Shovel.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Hooray! Thanks, HugeGrossBurrito!

AITA for wanting my mom (63) to wear pants?

quote:

My mom lives two states away and usually only visits me and my family a few times each year. However, these visits have become increasingly uncomfortable as my two young children continue to grow. My wife and I are really starting to struggle with her morning attire.

My entire life, every morning, my mom has walked around the house in a night shirt and no underwear like Winnie the Pooh! When I was younger I remember just averting my eyes anytime she bent over or sat down and thought nothing of it, but as my family grows I’ve become increasingly aware that my children are almost at eye level with my mom’s...”waist.”

I don’t want my parent’s few visits a year with their grandchildren to get weird, but I also think I should attempt to address the Winnie the Pooh in the room. AITA for wanting my mom to change her sleep wear while at my house?

Midnight Voyager posted:

Problem: Her husband hates getting up early and does it just so he can badger her during her alone time. How do you teach THAT child?
Boil the water first and throw it on him next time he pulls that poo poo. Repeat until he stops.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, a variation on spoons metaphor for chronic illness or that chain email from your grandma about the college professor with the jar and golf balls, sand, coffee, etc. That's honestly delightful. What a great idea.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 12, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

The son doesn't complain because uniforms for guys are generally more comfortable than the ones for girls. I'd have killed to be allowed to wear the male uniforms in school. They weren't fuckin starched plaid skirts.

I remember how sweaty that region was as a teen, I would've loved to have the breeze of a skirt. I feel like we might only be less than a decade away from skirts finally being a common and accepted option for even fragile homophobic republican white man who were alive to vote for reagan, on purpose, and still, somehow, think it was a good choice. Imagine establishing a patriarchy and then using it to make it so you yourself couldn't wear sensible and logical garments like a dress or skirt.

Mind-wipe all people, erasing their weirdo ideas about everything, and present them with two garments to choose. One garment is like a couple of weird tubes that meet at the top into one larger tube and there's some strange mechanism to sort of tear these tubes apart a little because apparently they couldn't figure out how to make the tubes work the first time. The other garment is a single tube that looks comfortable and seems really obvious how you could wear it. I think the choice people make indicates something about what kind of person they might be, but I don't think that choice would have anything to do with sex chromosomes. If anything, just trying to roleplay as a pro-pant person, I guess it comes down to +/- 1 AC for most people. I'll take comfort over the AC

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My kids are a little young for that kind of lesson, but it's getting filed away for later, that's a very clear way to describe it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

. If anything, just trying to roleplay as a pro-pant person, I guess it comes down to +/- 1 AC for most people. I'll take comfort over the AC

Pants4lyfe, I like having something where I don’t need to worry about kneeling down and having my knees make contact with weird goop/having concrete dust end up places I don’t want concrete dust.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I don't think we'll get there in any of our lifetimes, but it sure would be nice. Imagine not having to wring half a cup of ballsweat out of your shorts 11 months out of the year.

AITA For getting mad at my wife because she didn’t thank me for washing the dishes?

quote:

These last few months has been the worst for my wife. First she is extremely stressed with work, her best friend passed away a month ago, and her mother is really sick and she has to visit her almost every day. You can probably imagine how exhausted she is.

Things are getting slightly better after I agreed that she should go to therapy (although I was initially against it because of the cost) and hopefully I get to see her well again soon.

Yesterday while my wife was at her therapist, I decided to do her a small surprise and wash the dishes to give her some time to relax. To be honest, her reaction to what I did really upset me. When I told her that I washed the dishes all she said was ‘ok’ and went to the room. That’s it. I confronted her about it and she ended up yelling at me saying that I was supposed to do this anyways and we had an argument which ended up badly.

Today my wife apologized for her behavior. However, when I told my friends about it they said that I was the rear end in a top hat in this situation and not her which is why I am now posting here. What do you guys think?
"WHERE'S MY COOKIE?! REEEEEEEE"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hellooooo, I did the bare minimum, for once, and you don't even acknowledge it! Now you see why I never try doing even the bare minimum!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AITA for being happy my brother lost his job?

quote:

We used to make roughly the same wage, but since this corvid pandemic started, my brother has been making not only the same, but significantly more than I was because of the 400 (now) and 600 previously extra on top of unemployment. For over 6 months hes been doing nothing while I have been working through this pandemic, and risking my health, making less money than him, while he was being frivolous with all the payments and just laying around.

Come to find out his company shut down, his field was kind of specialized and there's nothing like that hiring for who knows how long. He'd had this job for 10 years and was quite comfortable in it, he thought he' d just return this whole time. He told me and I laughed.

I feel bad, but I dont feel bad. Am I an rear end in a top hat?

Corvid pandemic.

Khanstant posted:

Hellooooo, I did the bare minimum, for once, and you don't even acknowledge it! Now you see why I never try doing even the bare minimum!
my wife is so unreasonable

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Khanstant posted:

I remember how sweaty that region was as a teen, I would've loved to have the breeze of a skirt. I feel like we might only be less than a decade away from skirts finally being a common and accepted option for even fragile homophobic republican white man who were alive to vote for reagan, on purpose, and still, somehow, think it was a good choice. Imagine establishing a patriarchy and then using it to make it so you yourself couldn't wear sensible and logical garments like a dress or skirt.

Mind-wipe all people, erasing their weirdo ideas about everything, and present them with two garments to choose. One garment is like a couple of weird tubes that meet at the top into one larger tube and there's some strange mechanism to sort of tear these tubes apart a little because apparently they couldn't figure out how to make the tubes work the first time. The other garment is a single tube that looks comfortable and seems really obvious how you could wear it. I think the choice people make indicates something about what kind of person they might be, but I don't think that choice would have anything to do with sex chromosomes. If anything, just trying to roleplay as a pro-pant person, I guess it comes down to +/- 1 AC for most people. I'll take comfort over the AC

Unfortunately given the way things are I imagine this would just become that wearing a skirt would be how you proved that you’re straight, since it shows you’re not afraid, unlike those nervous guys over there...

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AITA: leaving a patio with my beer.

quote:

My boyfriend live in the city and I haven't had any time away for obvious covid reasons, including a work schedule that has ramped up since lock down.

We were able to rent a car and drive 3 hours north to a beach town, there are still many tourists.

We find a bar with a patio and order margs and food. Our server is amazing and chill. 20 mins later he is done his shift and gives our table to a new server. Everytime the new server comes to check on us we order more drinks. She seems annoyed each time we do. Like its palatable, you know when a server is pissed at you. There's a line up for tables, but we don't feel bad because we keep ordering. We figure she's having a bad day, we'll keep ordering, tip her well.

After 2 hours we ask for the tab (it's over $120.) Communication must suck because 5 minutes later another server comes to us, asking if we would share our table so they can cut the waiting line. We tell her we just asked for the bill and are leaving but offer to chug our beers so we can leave earlier. I say I don't feel comfortably with an attitude runs down the street to yell at us because we can't take the beers. She's grabbing at us while we're just trying to quietly leave.

Life sucks enough when you're a server during covid, I get it. I feel bad but are we the assholes?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Invisible Clergy posted:

After 2 hours we ask for the tab (it's over $120.)
FFFFUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK YYYYOOOOOOUUUUU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Invisible Clergy posted:

There's rules in many states that say beer has to be served in a segregated (not by race, but like.... a short fence) area because of open container laws.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CannonFodder posted:

FFFFUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK YYYYOOOOOOUUUUU

I've never worked in a restaurant, so what is the faux pas here?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Beachcomber posted:

I've never worked in a restaurant, so what is the faux pas here?
Taking up a table for an extra long time on a busy night when tables are at a premium.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

i feel like there's a missing step here. did they actually pay, or did OP tell the server she didn't like their attitude and walk off.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Can you imagine being such a white trash drunk that you can get your tab that high at the type of place that sells margaritas and has a patio in 2 hours? That sounds exhausting; it's like exercise.

AITA for refusing to get close with my partner's kids?

quote:

I started dating my boyfriend a few months (4-5) ago. He has 2 kids, a daughter and son, aged 7 and 3, respectively. I'll usually come over once a week but not stay the night. However, there was this one night when I got wrapped up in working on work stuff at his place and it was 1 AM when I finished, so I had to stay the night. I've always been cordial to his kids but haven't tried to get to know them or talk to them beyond hi and bye.

His 6-year old daughter went into our bedroom to talk to her dad because she had a nightmare, and he wouldn't wake up. However, I was awake, so she went to me. I consoled her and tucked her back into bed, and the next day and really the next few times I tried to visit, she tried to hug me, talk to me and get to know me. Her mom is unfortunately in and out of her life and has personal issues that make her unfit to be a mom. I regret consoling her, to an extent, but what else would I have done? Avoid her? Let her cry?

My partner has encouraged me getting to spend time with his daughter, but I don't want to reciprocate as we're not in a serious relationship and I don't have any parental responsibility, so AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Unfortunately given the way things are I imagine this would just become that wearing a skirt would be how you proved that you’re straight, since it shows you’re not afraid, unlike those nervous guys over there...

I can really see that happening, which isn't ideal, but drat there are parts of my body what aint ever felt the wind but for when I stand over a honeywell after a shower so it would still be welcome over uncle status quo and his anti-airflow agenda.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Palpable != palatable was my first reaction, but it seems maybe they were drunk when writing this or just don't know how to use words good. I'm having trouble following the story at a certain point.

They got to bar, order food and drinks. Their server is getting off work, they don't say whether they pay out with him or if the whole ticket is transferred to next server. They can tell their server is annoyed with them but they keep ordering and squatting. Possible this is a table in someone else's section, certainly these people suck to serve or have around, and visibly there's a pressure from folks in line who ain't et while some idiots get drunk on cheap beer. They rationalize it with whatever they perceive to be "tipping well, eventually."

They ask for tab, some server asks them to share a table to cut the line? They offer to chug beers and leave faster, which may or may not mean also skipping out on the tab? "I say I don't feel comfortably with an attitude runs down the street to yell at us because we can't take the beers." I don't know this sentence. Does he say "I don't feel comfortably" with an attitude, like an angry slurring drunk? Ultimately the server has to chase them down because they apparently sauntered off with open containers and maybe didn't pay. The person who wrote that post is an rear end in a top hat no matter what for having written their post this way.