Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The World Inferno posted:

[spoiler]Given Homelander passed his abilities down to his kid, seems fairly obvious Stormfront is not Liberty but instead is her daughter, right?[/spoiiler]

If by “obvious” you mean “the entire plot of this episode was to specifically imply this is not the case” then sure.

VagueRant posted:

Got a nasty feeling that the show is spinning its wheels.

No sense that anyone is moving towards a goal or overcoming any obstacles, shifting power dynamics or making any meaningful change. Billy, Homelander, etc. are still cunts, lots of edgy gore with minor characters, but Stillwell is IIRC the only major character to have died in the entire series and still got to come back (in spirit) and do more of the same old creepy milk stuff. (Guess we could charitably count Jennifer Esposito?) Compund V being exposed felt like it'd be a game changer but they've managed to gloss over that in a big way.

Uh, what?

Homelander just purged the 7 and is obviously snapping like a twig under the pressure, Butcher just basically completed his life’s work while being completely rejected by the woman he loves for being an inhuman and uncaring prick, Stormfront is actively riling up her troops (while a black super hero, A-Train is poised to do something drastic)...

Like E4 was just packed to the gills with so much plot progression some of us felt like it was too much.

“Spinning the wheels” means that the characters are all in the same place when the action is done. None of our characters are in the same place they were at the beginning of this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

If by “obvious” you mean “the entire plot of this episode was to specifically imply this is not the case” then sure.

I mean either way :shrug:, but I don't see why it couldn't be a red herring unless I missed her say "I've been around since the 40s". Racist ma raises racist kid vs. racist grandma discovers fountain of youth.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stormfront’s line about learning to change with the times definitely rang out to me as “I’m old” also Kripke has said in an interview it’s true so

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I mean either way :shrug:, but I don't see why it couldn't be a red herring unless I missed her say "I've been around since the 40s". Racist ma raises racist kid vs. racist grandma discovers fountain of youth.

1) the actress playing Liberty is literally Aya Cash, it’s her voice and she’s the only member of the cast that short besides Kimiko

2) she says in her office “you gotta change with the times, I know I did”

3) The woman whose entire life has been defined by the murder of her brother directly and with no uncertainty pointed her out.

So yes, she could be a daughter, or a clone, or anything else, but that would be 2 in-text red herrings and then a 3rd metatextual red herring, which would make it the worst written part of the show.

Edit: Aya, not Ava

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 12, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

1) the actress playing Liberty is literally Ava Duverny, it’s her voice and she’s the only member of the cast that short besides Kimiko

Aya Cash. Ava Duverney is the director of Selma, 13th, etc

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I think maybe the give a gently caress on the memes is little high, but why there's a gently caress to give is kind if interesting.

I assume that the method of getting these memes was the same sort of way a lamp is conjured. As I understand it, people are at the set checking out what got put together and someone goes, poo poo, this room doesn't have any lights, the script says "sits on couch turns on the light". A producer barks at another producer whose job it becomes to quickly find a lamp before makeup is done. They know a warehouse that had a bunch of lamps, or they run to an ikea--whatever.

But memes don't work like lamps and the subtle language of design that we can mostly ignore is replaced with the direct language of image macros. And so we're extraordinarily perceptive of that.

I'd like to see a behind the scenes on what happened there, but I always find those kind of bits interesting, like background actors saying 'peas and carrots' to each other.

piL fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 12, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Yeah, some magic substance affecting the natural progression of human life and ability would just be way too out of place on this very grounded television program.

Edit: I'm assume that the Deep relocated to a not-scientology celebrity center in New York.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also Stormfront literally said she just hired some people to churn out memes for cheap, they aren't supposed to be great

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah well I would have made better ones for arby's gift cards!!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watch and read absolutely way too much about how memes impact our culture and society, or how Gamergate helped clue Steve Bannon into getting alt-right teens to pivot towards Trump, or how Pepe memes use humor to couch Nazi idealogy in Trojan Horse jpegs of clown frogs to test the waters and see who laughs and then on the sly recruit the laughers...

Stormfront’s speech to Homelander is so perfectly on point and precisely the state of the US at this moment that it would seem prescient if it hadn’t been written in the last 12 months. “You don’t need 50 million people to love you if you have 5 million that are really pissed off. You have fans, I have soldiers.”

Like Jesus that poo poo is terrifying.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
"You have fans, I have soldiers.”

Also something someone who fought in WW2 would say

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Antony Starr is so good - I know Homelander will have to die in this show eventually but I hope it's the series finale episode because I can't imagine this show without him.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I still crack up at stuff like Homelander sitting in full costume at the breakfast table, or Deep buying groceries in full getup. On a comic book page it looks pretty natural, but in motion it's so silly (and I realize that's probably very on purpose).

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Piell posted:

How are people this loving bad at reading obvious clues and blatant statements?

Stormfront is Liberty

Most likely, but then what does that do for the narrative/what are they trying to set up for the finale or Season 3?

Her being Liberty's daughter is much more tidy than her being Liberty or being a clone. I could see it being a bait & switch depending on where they want the story to go, especially with the whole Homelander's Son plotline happening in parallel.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s still half the season to go why are you thinking of it in terms of setting up the next one

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

I still crack up at stuff like Homelander sitting in full costume at the breakfast table, or Deep buying groceries in full getup. On a comic book page it looks pretty natural, but in motion it's so silly (and I realize that's probably very on purpose).

Yeah, I also like that in S1 he says he gave up his secret identity so now he's Homelander 24/7. He probably wears the suit all the time lol.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

unlimited shrimp posted:

Her being Liberty's daughter is much more tidy than her being Liberty or being a clone.

Why?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Like they have an entire 20 minute plot about her being liberty, then she admits it indirectly. Why would they do that if she’s not being the same person?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Because it’s better to sUbVeRt Ur XpEcTaTiOnS than to just tell a story

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Bust Rodd posted:

Because it’s better to sUbVeRt Ur XpEcTaTiOnS than to just tell a story

Yeah. I understand you receive internet prestige if you make off the wall predictions that are accurate, so I know why they'd want to claim the prediction, but I just didn't see that as tidy.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Because if she's Liberty then they have to explain how she's so long-lived and how it is that her powers have changed, and the consequences of that for characters past and present.
If she's a clone then there's all the implications that ago along with that.

If she's Liberty's daughter then it doesn't introduce any new variables into the story, the "twist" would just be that Homelander's son isn't unique.

It's not about subverting expectations, I'm just hoping they don't fall into the trap Heroes fell into where they chase "cool" until the writing becomes hamhanded and stupid trying to put the genie back in the bottle with some plotlines & character powers.

edit.
Those "have"s are in quotations obviously, maybe they just don't deal with the implications either way.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

unlimited shrimp posted:

Because if she's Liberty then they have to explain how she's so long-lived and how it is that her powers have changed, and the consequences of that for characters past and present.

They've already explained the first and there haven't been any details revealed about Liberty's powers other than standard strength kit, which Stormfront has, right?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Why do you think her powers have changed? They made sure rto state that there was a strong storm when she attacked and she just showed flight and superstrength which we know Stormfront has

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Do you think the Liberty twist is like ... Too Cool To Be True or something. Like is that too contrived for you? In this show?

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Getting some real "i acquit" vibes from some people itt.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

It seems like with someone as popular as HL it’d be easy to look into his past and find out its all BS. Where did he grow up? What school did he attend? Everything would come up empty.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I really hope nothing happens to the dollhouse but at the same time I know it's gonna get blowed up because butcher basically gave gps coordinates on where to ruin everything

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Heres a little called shot prediction:

Stormfront is clearly being protrayed as someone who is perhaps 2 steps ahead of everyone else. If she is Liberty (lol) then I expect her to be on that Antediluvian tip where someone who is way older than everyone else can pawn them against each other like Machiavelli.

But i think she was pretty obviously drunk during her hate crime in the past. I suspect her kryptonite might be a serious drinking problem, and i wouldn't be surprised if they end up getting the better of her by maybe getting her drunk before a publicity stunt or a photo op and she drops an N bomb.

Also I haven't spoken about it yet but the Homelander with the confederate cape mural is basically real imagery I drive past every day in South Carolina. I'm loathe to claim these people don't know what they are doing regarding memes and imagery because its all pitch perfect as far as I can see.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Lol, the confederate cape mural...

When that popped up, both me and the wifey physically recoiled and said "oh gently caress!"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

BurritoJustice posted:

Why do you think her powers have changed? They made sure rto state that there was a strong storm when she attacked and she just showed flight and superstrength which we know Stormfront has

I will say that while i don't buy the Stormfront is Liberty's daughter scenario, it is kind of weird that a semi-prominent superhero like Liberty would have had obviously lightning based powers and either no one knew or MM just didn't bother to look it up or check before driving all the way to North Carolina. It's a little bit of a plot hole.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Heres a little called shot prediction:

Stormfront is clearly being protrayed as someone who is perhaps 2 steps ahead of everyone else. If she is Liberty (lol) then I expect her to be on that Antediluvian tip where someone who is way older than everyone else can pawn them against each other like Machiavelli.

But i think she was pretty obviously drunk during her hate crime in the past. I suspect her kryptonite might be a serious drinking problem, and i wouldn't be surprised if they end up getting the better of her by maybe getting her drunk before a publicity stunt or a photo op and she drops an N bomb.

How exactly do you think that would work? If Stormfront flew home to Portland and incinerated an entire BLM protest while screaming racial epithets her popularity would rise among her supporters, and if Vought cut her out those people would go mad. To paraphrase what she said: you don't need everyone to live for your approval if you have someone who'll die for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. internet poster

You could’ve known Stormfront was Liberty

i gave you all the clues

⛄️

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BrotherJayne posted:

Lol, the confederate cape mural...

When that popped up, both me and the wifey physically recoiled and said "oh gently caress!"

What episode is the mural in? I must've blinked and missed it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's the end of the scene that starts with the eerily accurate country anti-abortion billboard

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

sponges posted:

It seems like with someone as popular as HL it’d be easy to look into his past and find out its all BS. Where did he grow up? What school did he attend? Everything would come up empty.

I doubt they'll bother going into it in the show since it's already kinda moved past the point where it's relevant, but in the comic they raised him in a lab with an atomic bomb strapped to him until he was an adult, and then they faked a Superman-style meteorite landing as his origin.

The comics have this kinda silly conceit where Vought runs PR / spins narratives through comic books, which normal people apparently read like they're newspapers to see what the supes are up to. Like they fake an alien invasion to go have a big week-long superhero orgy and apparently people just believe it? It's pretty dumb.

The show makes it pretty clear that everyone assumes superheroes are just a genetic lottery thing that could happen to anyone, which presumably the compound V leak is gonna shake up quite a bit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

How exactly do you think that would work? If Stormfront flew home to Portland and incinerated an entire BLM protest while screaming racial epithets her popularity would rise among her supporters, and if Vought cut her out those people would go mad. To paraphrase what she said: you don't need everyone to live for your approval if you have someone who'll die for it.

Thinking about it now, I think it's more likely that she would drunkenly let something slip in confidence that the boys could use against her.

I am also genuinely afraid for MM this season and hope this stupid Stormfront psycho never lays a hand on my sweet, beautiful man

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Escobarbarian posted:

Too much Billy Joel in this season imo. Otherwise I like it

I thought Pressure was perfect for the first episode. But then them singing "We didn't start the fire" was way too much.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Yeah, it was pretty interesting, to me at least, how quickly Stormfront went from "Yeah, tell it like it is!" snark, and the joy of seeing Homelander get hosed with, into "Oh poo poo, this person is dangerous as gently caress"

The turnaround on that in ep 3 and 4 is well done. The amount of menace the show has is awesome

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

1) the actress playing Liberty is literally Aya Cash, it’s her voice and she’s the only member of the cast that short besides Kimiko

2) she says in her office “you gotta change with the times, I know I did”

3) The woman whose entire life has been defined by the murder of her brother directly and with no uncertainty pointed her out.

So yes, she could be a daughter, or a clone, or anything else, but that would be 2 in-text red herrings and then a 3rd metatextual red herring, which would make it the worst written part of the show.

Edit: Aya, not Ava

Just saying, Bust Rodd, number 1 and 3 wouldn't be a red-herring if the answer is daughter or clone. Those would be straight up clues, not red-herrings. You have that exactly backwards.

2 is the only one which remotely counts as maybe evidence she's actually her and not a daughter or clone. That could mean other things though, about her image or how she uses modern technology or culture.

This isn't nearly what you're making it out to be.

Golden Bee posted:

Like they have an entire 20 minute plot about her being liberty, then she admits it indirectly. Why would they do that if she’s not being the same person?

Some of you aren't even TRYING

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I doubt they'll bother going into it in the show since it's already kinda moved past the point where it's relevant, but in the comic they raised him in a lab with an atomic bomb strapped to him until he was an adult, and then they faked a Superman-style meteorite landing as his origin.

The comics have this kinda silly conceit where Vought runs PR / spins narratives through comic books, which normal people apparently read like they're newspapers to see what the supes are up to. Like they fake an alien invasion to go have a big week-long superhero orgy and apparently people just believe it? It's pretty dumb.

The show makes it pretty clear that everyone assumes superheroes are just a genetic lottery thing that could happen to anyone, which presumably the compound V leak is gonna shake up quite a bit.

I wonder if rich/famous people will start trying to buy Compound V for their kids, legally through Vought or via black market.