Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Squiggly posted:

Please don't make fun of me this is actually one of my favorite songs

s*a*m*e

This won't open on mobile. From the url I'm hoping it's a mash up of anaconda and phantom of the opera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
These are both bad. How do you ignore the few posts I've made with them

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm also going to stop holding back the other thing I want to do but also don't want to do and ##vote Squiggly, call it OMGUS but there's nothing reading as straight-up bullshit to me right now as him reading my Tobbs vote as attempting a turbo while completely ignoring the Steak votes at the start of the day

Squiggly posted:

Unless he scum claims I will not vote steak D1 because it's likely he will do something insane at some point and that is what I want from my mafia games

Ignored so hard I commented on it. If you're asking why I'm not holding it against these people for voting steak, it's because it's the same sentiment that happens every game and opens up almost every joke phase in recent history?

b-minus1 posted:

This post isn’t pinging me hard
“That doesn’t make me scum” aka you are correct but for the wrong reasons

##vote squiggly

In order to make this vote you literally have to ignore tone, context, and a direct quote

Retro Futurist posted:

People not agreeing with you doesn't make you scum. People agree with scum all the time, otherwise they'd never win

Squiggly posted:

It's clear you don't agree with me, but that doesn't make me scum

Checkmate :cool:

drat binus back to the garbage can with ye

Squiggly fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 14, 2020

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ok I'll chill out with the music chat but people posting mashups and toalpaz posting pendulum means I need to include this

pendulum foxes bob etc claritycraft

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

spacing in vienna posted:

Ok I'll chill out with the music chat but people posting mashups and toalpaz posting pendulum means I need to include this

pendulum foxes bob etc claritycraft

holy poo poo this owns

pendulum is such a hit and miss band, I'm a fan of Witchcraft, the island (obv already posted), Watercolour (already part of that compilation), and Hold Your Colour

But I cannot get into like ANY of their songs that aren't melodic

I am a fan of Squiggly's pushback

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I already hinted at my role with the questions about OOT comms. Rather than get killed N1 I decided to try something funny and continue as unsalted town!

At this post I literally checked to see if you were a new player. Because wow.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Power of Pecota posted:

Squiggly - please tell me why you believe town would claim a role as usable once per day when asked if it's repeatable, then 17 minutes later say "Never mind, I lied"

Wow, amazing Squiggly ignored the direct question again, what a shocker.

Squiggly posted:

Ignored so hard I commented on it. If you're asking why I'm not holding it against these people for voting steak, it's because it's the same sentiment that happens every game and opens up almost every joke phase in recent history?

That's you talking about whether you'd vote Steak, not about an attempted turbo, which is what I'm talking about. I agree it's silly to vote someone in jokephase for putting a third vote on someone, but that's way closer to an actual turbo than my one vote reacting to Tobbs's claim.

I also knew you wouldn't say anything about this later post where Jen clarified her vote isn't a joke:

Jen X posted:

Instead, turbo steak and make the game easier for everyone instead of having to execute him on D3 as is inevitable
Because you're faking this read hardcore and why you're ignoring my questions about what you believe about Tobbs, you don't want to have a good faith discussion about it. It's how me unvoting Tobbs and reevaluating becomes both me "squirming out of it" and "dying on this hill" when literally no one else was voting with you.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

At this post I literally checked to see if you were a new player. Because wow.

I'm v new imo

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Cuz nobody who is scum will answer it. Look at Sanswolf response lol

Okay. I think your situation is best left tabled until tomorrow, for various reasons, but at the very least if you're town this is so crappy.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Power of Pecota posted:

I also knew you wouldn't say anything about this later post where Jen clarified her vote isn't a joke:

Because you're faking this read hardcore and why you're ignoring my questions about what you believe about Tobbs, you don't want to have a good faith discussion about it. It's how me unvoting Tobbs and reevaluating becomes both me "squirming out of it" and "dying on this hill" when literally no one else was voting with you.

that is a joke tho

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Okay. I think your situation is best left tabled until tomorrow, for various reasons, but at the very least if you're town this is so crappy.

I am and agree :)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jen X posted:

that is a joke tho

Wait, really? I thought you legit wanted to policy vote him.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Toalpaz posted:

##vote chedda

cheese scum claimed last game and this game is not different,s ee you day two.

Throwing out there for the record that iirc I have yet to read toalpaz as town in a game, ever, so if anyone else has good toalpaz-dar I'm relying on you here

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ok I have this weird vibe from pop like --

Like he's making all of these arguments and then following it out logically and look there's an opportunity to step in and call this out except it all seems ... Forced? Artificial.

Like I don't get the vibe that pop is actually going "hey, that feels scummy" or whatever, it's coming off more like "person X has done 3 things which count as scummy, so I will make that case." Like it's more of an academic exercise than it is something he actually believes?

Am I the only one getting that feeling?

Yes, I realize this is a weird thing to accuse him of, since he can't exactly counterargue it effectively, but I'm not going to not point it out just because of that.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Throwing out there for the record that iirc I have yet to read toalpaz as town in a game, ever, so if anyone else has good toalpaz-dar I'm relying on you here

lol best way I’ve figured out to read Toalpaz is wait until there’s more of a spotlight on them and see how they react

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Power of Pecota posted:

That's a good point - ##unvote

I still don't buy Tobbs' explanation of his thought process whatsoever but it is a pretty pointless power for scum.

It's possible that powers aren't tied to alignment, that we get powers from songs and then alignments were determined. So I don't think "it's a pointless power for scum to have" is a good reason to unvote. That just means scum would have more incentive to oops waste it so they can't use it on a bro (or conversely, save it for bussing cred)

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Oh btw steak is scum or the turbo would have gone through thanks and god bless

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Like he's making all of these arguments and then following it out logically and look there's an opportunity to step in and call this out except it all seems ... Forced? Artificial.

Like I don't get the vibe that pop is actually going "hey, that feels scummy" or whatever, it's coming off more like "person X has done 3 things which count as scummy, so I will make that case." Like it's more of an academic exercise than it is something he actually believes?

Yes, I realize this is a weird thing to accuse him of, since he can't exactly counterargue it effectively, but I'm not going to not point it out just because of that.

Squiggly posted:

He's Rick Astley. It was perfect.

This is quite a hill to die on, seeing as you unvoted but can't seem to let it go. Doesn't really seem like you want to vote elsewhere and I don't think this whole convo feels very real to me

Y'all can just start calling me Cassandra

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Power of Pecota posted:

Wait, really? I thought you legit wanted to policy vote him.

Policy voting him because he's simply impossible to handle is cruel

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I legit just got to that. Plus the let's focus on mechanics chat here:

Power of Pecota posted:

Would that even work against a lie detector if Amni was a ninja?

If that's the role I'm thinking of he would still have visited the target even if he wouldn't have been seen visiting the target by a tracker/watcher/whatever

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Oh btw steak is scum or the turbo would have gone through thanks and god bless

Counterpoint, steak is a national treasure and I've adopted him as my nephew so I can be the Bad Influence Aunt who tries to corrupt him

... In life, not in mafia. Steak does not need any corrupting in mafia

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

It's possible that powers aren't tied to alignment, that we get powers from songs and then alignments were determined. So I don't think "it's a pointless power for scum to have" is a good reason to unvote. That just means scum would have more incentive to oops waste it so they can't use it on a bro (or conversely, save it for bussing cred)

I suspect this is true as well. It's how I would have done things if I were running the game at least.

I'm actually pretty happy with ##vote Tobbs. I think the ploy was to come out with a townie power but not use it to clear or incriminate anyone.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Is it different than the vibe you got from me in the fire and ice game? If I see something that looks scummy, I go for that over gut anytime.

You know the aphorism "If you hear hooves, think horses"? Unless that's explicitly stated, I wouldn't expect roles to be assigned before alignments. Scum probably aren't going to have a doctor.

I still don't like how Tobbs has played like, anything this game but I don't think it makes sense to vote him today.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Squiggly posted:

Y'all can just start calling me Cassandra

I'm going to call you a dipshit here and postgame instead.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Squiggly posted:

It's clear you don't agree with me, but that doesn't make me scum

Checkmate :cool:

The only thing I'm agreeing on pop with is that this is a way scummy post to make, but I'm more on squiggly's side than pop's atm

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Amnistar posted:

I suspect this is true as well. It's how I would have done things if I were running the game at least.

I'm actually pretty happy with ##vote Tobbs. I think the ploy was to come out with a townie power but not use it to clear or incriminate anyone.

I agree with PoP, if Tobbs is scum (which I don't think he is) it will become apparent quickly, I think.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Amnistar posted:

Lol if I get lynched and all anyone can talk about tomorrow is how incomprehensibly dumb I am.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Amnistar posted:

Can we get confirmation from Pig on this?

I feel like if that's the case it should be known like nonstandard "if there's one scum left, they can use their power and perform the NK" things.

There was a game where the latter was the case that burned me with Diqnol and TNL years ago and I'm still kinda sour about it.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Sandwolf posted:

I agree with PoP, if Tobbs is scum (which I don't think he is) it will become apparent quickly, I think.

How so? Tommorrow rolls around and they continue to claim "It was only a 1 shot I have no powers". How does that make them more clearly scum?

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Power of Pecota posted:

Is it different than the vibe you got from me in the fire and ice game? If I see something that looks scummy, I go for that over gut anytime.

You know the aphorism "If you hear hooves, think horses"? Unless that's explicitly stated, I wouldn't expect roles to be assigned before alignments. Scum probably aren't going to have a doctor.

I still don't like how Tobbs has played like, anything this game but I don't think it makes sense to vote him today.

It is, somehow, and I don't know how or why. I know you're generally someone who goes after things he sees, so it's not the fact that you're playing aggressively early. That's generally pro town, to get things started.

So I'm not sure what it is. I was hoping if I called it out, other people might be able to tell me if they saw it, too, or if I was seeing things.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Amnistar posted:

How so? Tommorrow rolls around and they continue to claim "It was only a 1 shot I have no powers". How does that make them more clearly scum?

I think it was a 1-shot as town - if that's a lie, we will figure out when they use another power/that power again

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Amnistar posted:

If they claim it as one shot tomorrow, we know for sure that it is, and that means they're either the only vanilla in the game or scum, which means I have zero problems voting them out.

If they claim it's ongoing tomorrow, we use the power.

If they die overnight, moot point.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

It is, somehow, and I don't know how or why. I know you're generally someone who goes after things he sees, so it's not the fact that you're playing aggressively early. That's generally pro town, to get things started.

So I'm not sure what it is. I was hoping if I called it out, other people might be able to tell me if they saw it, too, or if I was seeing things.

If that's your reading hey, that's fair - in that game, I was kinda struggling to find anything that registered one way or another to me D1 and didn't feel like I was really into things until D2, but otherwise it's me and I can't really say anything else.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Amnistar is scum too. Ever so careful with his posts, trying to convince himself that I'm a safe person for scum to vote.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Power of Pecota posted:

Can we get confirmation from Pig on this?

I feel like if that's the case it should be known like nonstandard "if there's one scum left, they can use their power and perform the NK" things.

There was a game where the latter was the case that burned me with Diqnol and TNL years ago and I'm still kinda sour about it.

I got burned on something similar in a game, along the lines of what counts as a night action, and it hosed town, so I feel you on that one.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Amnistar is scum too. Ever so careful with his posts, trying to convince himself that I'm a safe person for scum to vote.

This post feels more about self preservation than it does detecting scum.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

I got burned on something similar in a game, along the lines of what counts as a night action, and it hosed town, so I feel you on that one.

:laugh:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

this feels weirdly nervous

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

If they claim it as one shot tomorrow, we know for sure that it is, and that means they're either the only vanilla in the game or scum, which means I have zero problems voting them out.

I would actually go in the other direction with this (if we can get confirmation that powers weren't generated independently of alignment) and consider Tobbs confirmed town because he had a power that was functionally useless for scum and scum's problem to deal with. (With it being a role madness game, I can see a lot of those building up really quick)

If he's still around in a few days, then he's a really good investigation target.

This is assuming Tobbs is playing normally and not doing whatever he's doing here. I haven't played with him before, but I read along with the Vampire the Masquerade game and he seemed like a pretty straight shooter there

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I was so pissed at you! :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Sandwolf posted:

this feels weirdly nervous

Keeping his vote on steak while making it is the bad part