Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bioshuffle posted:

Part of me thinks it would be just as interesting if they were the one and the same.

Well, it's been a long search, but we finally got him.

It's you. You are the reason we got Season 8 of GoT.

twistedmentat posted:

Maeve and Starlight we've seen can put on normal clothing and be normal [...] A Dude just changes his clothes but thats about it.

Yeah the showrunners have definitely made some nice points with the whole thing and not only with the "women have to be perfect otherwise they are unremarkable" thing you've already said. There's only another supe we have seen in plain clothes so far: A-Train. And when he's not wearing his supe's persona, he's immediately singled out by a security guard...for being a young black man looking at expensive stuff in a store. A-Train-branded expensive stuff, on top of that.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

What if stormfront is a clone of liberty? Or if stormfront and homelander are clones of liberty? Or if homelander is really liberty/stormfront's child?

Stormfront is a really drunk Butcher in a wig. He’s not really zapping minorities- he is gently pushing them out of the way... with lightning. He’s new at this technique and currently making some mistakes but working tirelessly to improve. Also he thought that guy was wearing a yellow shirt and meant to insult him for his poor fashion choice. See guys? Not racist... he just hates jerks in tacky shirts.

Also Stormfront is both Homelanders mother AND second cousin. Possibly the family cat too

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 13, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also, Liberty is definitely Stormfront, but just for the sake of fun, these are the only two actual images of Liberty in the show so far I believe:

What interests me about those two images is that Liberty has been around since what looks like the 1950s from the Bud advert, but also remains a contemporary brand. It raises speculation that there is an actual Liberty out there and it isn't Stormfront. However, that doesn't mean that Stormfront never was Liberty. It's more than feasible that she was committing racist murders in the South for decades while nobody really cared, but got taken out of circulation when people started noticing.

I will raise one thought that occurred to me, though. What if Stormfront was a replacement for the original Liberty, made by Vought with the intention of her being a charter member of the Seven but then withdrawn because it turned out she was a racist murderer? It would create some interesting character dynamics, especially if it turns out that Liberty was originally intended to be the leader of the team.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the 'problem' with a lot of the other supes is that the nature of Homelander's character is that he makes everyone in a scene with him shrivel up in fear, and Antony Starr is absolutely killing the role. This season also feels far more Homelander centric this time, so the proportion of time we're seeing characters in his presence is far greater.

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like Starlight being sort of a void of personality is thematically appropriate/works.

Yeah, Starlight is a child prodigy who has only ever been allowed by her parents to be one thing, and then she gets her dream job and it turns out to be a continuation of complete control of her life and how she presents to the world. Part of her rebellion is the realisation that she will never be allowed to have her own personality if she stays on that path.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jedit posted:

What interests me about those two images is that Liberty has been around since what looks like the 1950s from the Bud advert, but also remains a contemporary brand. It raises speculation that there is an actual Liberty out there and it isn't Stormfront. However, that doesn't mean that Stormfront never was Liberty. It's more than feasible that she was committing racist murders in the South for decades while nobody really cared, but got taken out of circulation when people started noticing.

I will raise one thought that occurred to me, though. What if Stormfront was a replacement for the original Liberty, made by Vought with the intention of her being a charter member of the Seven but then withdrawn because it turned out she was a racist murderer? It would create some interesting character dynamics, especially if it turns out that Liberty was originally intended to be the leader of the team.

Regardless of fan theory stuff that Budweiser ad looks 1970s not 1950s

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

As Nero Danced posted:

Makes that "now laser my tits" thing from the trailer something else, doesn't it.

Is this an implication of warming her milk? Because that's what you've done.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Golden Bee posted:

Maybe Hughie will take stormfront, who is liberty, on the Downeaster Alexa.

Nah, Hughie only sees shades of gray

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

veni veni veni posted:

Regardless of fan theory stuff that Budweiser ad looks 1970s not 1950s

1960 Bud advert:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Is this an implication of warming her milk? Because that's what you've done.

I hadn't thought that far into it, I don't know what I was implying but it's loving weird no matter what.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The season 1 deleted scenes give Maeve a bit more to do, and cover the reason she and Homelander split up, as well as adding a bit more meat on the bone to her relationship with Elena.

There's something about Maeve that I can't quite put my finger on, she feels like a peripheral part of the show this season and I don't know if that's because her character isn't really developing past what we already know, or whether it's simply because she hasn't actually had to use her powers, or be used at all for anything really. Starlight is an audience surrogate, and Stormfront is basically the focal point of this season, and the other supes have been heavily involved and/or used their powers, which leaves Maeve sortof out in the cold.

I strongly disagree about A-Train being a weak character too. His comment to Starlight about people who have come from wealth being the ones that talk as if it's not important was a poignant moment out of left field, and I feel like his role is going to expand over the coming episodes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think this show just realized that the #1 way to make smart Super Hero stories in 2020 is to give your villains realistic pathos instead of making them 2D caricatures of bad guys from Capt. Planet.

Like can you think of another show where two of the central cast are serial rapists? And beyond that, serial rapists who are given ample enough screen time to their insecurities and emotional trauma? I mean there are still people hate-watching this show and tweeting about “I can’t watch a show that makes me sympathize with a rapist!!!!!” every episode and it’s like... ok so go watch Law & Order SVU then, or literally every other show with rape in it, ever.

They are very carefully laying out why The Deep and Homelander are these disgusting animals and giving them real concrete reasons that sound real and make sense. Of COURSE the deep would be a predator if he is completely insecure to the point that he suffers from body dysmorphia, and so on.

Honestly it’s dumb but even with the superhero tights these plot lines seem like way more realistic depictions of serial predators than a lot of people want to accept, because the world is easier to digest if all rapists are violent lurking predators instead of sad, pathetic men who just don’t have any emotional guidance.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Durzel posted:

The season 1 deleted scenes give Maeve a bit more to do, and cover the reason she and Homelander split up, as well as adding a bit more meat on the bone to her relationship with Elena.

drat I wish they had kept a lot of those scenes

But I wish that about most shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzH4CDmZ3h8

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
So despite there being billions of asians in the world, 92% of supes are white and 1% are asian. People really had to buy into the "god chose them" narrative to not figure out they were made by an American company sooner.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the goons in this thread start claiming Homelander and Doppleganger are the same character because they're portrayed by the same actor. Why even bother watching the show if they already have all the puzzle pieces figured out? It's baffling. To say the least.

There is absolutely no evidence in the show that they are the same, outside one sentence which could be interpreted a million different ways, and an accusation from someone who had one encounter, in the dark literally decades before the present. Don't forget that during the incident where Liberty kills the brother, she is wearing a hoodie, in the dark, and the girl is inside the car. That's outside the fact that witness testimony is notoriously unreliable. I'm going to bookmark this page so I can see how they backpedal when it turns out the whole thing was a red herring.

Lol that a goon named bioshuffle is somehow reincarnating arguments and the misconceptions behind them that lets black ppl get killed every day.

Just lol.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rando posted:

Liberty stabbed Shannon.

This is my earliest memory of goons being really poo poo at watching TV

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think the US was the only country with heroes that were actually from there. Helps sell that religious argument well with the people because obviously GOD HIMSELF HAD CHOSEN THE GREATEST COUNTRY JESUS EVER FOUNDED TO HAVE HEROES SHOW UP etc etc.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Durzel posted:

There's something about Maeve that I can't quite put my finger on, she feels like a peripheral part of the show this season and I don't know if that's because her character isn't really developing past what we already know, or whether it's simply because she hasn't actually had to use her powers, or be used at all for anything really. Starlight is an audience surrogate, and Stormfront is basically the focal point of this season, and the other supes have been heavily involved and/or used their powers, which leaves Maeve sortof out in the cold.

In the first season her character got to be a counterpoint to Starlight ("Don't end up like me.") and a foil to Homelander; insofar as Homelander ever let his guard down around anyone and let us see who he actually was, it was Maeve he did it around. Also, she had a subplot as a closeted gay woman, to underline how badly being in the Seven fucks everyone up.

In the second season she's barely interacted with Starlight, and Homelander has a new foil in Stormfront. They swept her legs out from under her. It looks like they're starting to go somewhere with her -- the scene where she got outed on live television was the single most uncomfortable thing I've watched this year that wasn't the national news -- but they've just taken baby steps so far.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TraderStav posted:

This is my earliest memory of goons being really poo poo at watching TV

I just dont understand. Its ppl with no creative outlet just being dumbass as poo poo.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Blaise330 posted:

So despite there being billions of asians in the world, 92% of supes are white and 1% are asian. People really had to buy into the "god chose them" narrative to not figure out they were made by an American company sooner.

Many genetic traits have correlation between incidence and race, which would be a third potential hypothes prior to the reveal.

Because there are correlations between race and geography, unidentified environmental causes would have also been plausible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Homelander’s performance on the talk show where he throws Maeve under the bus while highlighting that her GF is Latino is one of the more legitimately funny moments in the show, because of Starr’s delivery, while also being completely disgusting and hosed up in a strictly social way. He doesn’t murder anyone or say anything... wrong but it just makes your skin crawl when you realize what he is doing.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
frenchie + kimiko are boring the gently caress out of me. actually, a lot of the character drama feels off, might be an issue with the slower plot/disconnected characters. with butcher taking a bit of a back seat, homelander continues to be the main reason to watch this show

https://i.imgur.com/OYGOSAI.mp4
antony starr can drink the hell out of some milk

also lol at the braingenius willfully denying that stormfront representing alt-right white-supremacist psychos, just incredible

crepeface fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 13, 2020

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

PostNouveau posted:

Homelander said A-Train's probably not in the Top 20! Apparently the world is lousy with Flashes

Speedsters could be common in the supe world.

Alternatively, Homelander could be really condescending when he said it. Maybe A Train is still the second fastest but regardless he's no longer useful to Homelander.

The popclaw drama also started some raising some questions which comes back to A Train. And if it weren't for his incompetence then Hughie wouldn't have been involved, which means Starlight might not have been willing to turn either. So overall A Train seems like a big liability for Homelander and I think it's only his heart condition that is preventing Homelander from needing to take matters into his own hands.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Bust Rodd posted:

Homelander’s performance on the talk show where he throws Maeve under the bus while highlighting that her GF is Latino is one of the more legitimately funny moments in the show, because of Starr’s delivery, while also being completely disgusting and hosed up in a strictly social way. He doesn’t murder anyone or say anything... wrong but it just makes your skin crawl when you realize what he is doing.

That scene was excruciating, my wife was making horrified sounds that I only ever heard from her before during the DIY dentistry episode of The Americans. And that "Well, actually, Black Noir doesn't identify as any race" line. This show is so good at swinging from funny to gruesome.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

“I think mostly they do believe the woman. I can spoil the amount that Starlight will be tracking Stormfront in the next episode and will get confirmation that it is, in fact, true,” “The Boys” showrunner Eric Kripke told TheWrap. “Stormfront is just much older than they thought. And with Compound V, anything is possible and she just doesn’t age like other people age. And it all kind of falls into this thesis with her, which is, she comes off as so modern and media-savvy and up-to-the-minute. But what she’s really selling is a very, very old evil and hate that’s been around for thousands of years. And so the idea that she is older than we think and has been pitching the same s–t for decades now, made sense to us.”

I can’t believe this loving debate is still happening

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s not happening, just mute them.

It’s nice to see Maria Menounos getting work, she’s been a capable host for decades now.

I also would like to see more of Maeve and what she wants and how she gets it.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I loved this episode because at the end of it all it was a bunch of little character stories but watching it I was expecting HL or Black Noir to show up at any second and ruin everything and it added a ton of tension.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Dracula Factory posted:

I loved this episode because at the end of it all it was a bunch of little character stories but watching it I was expecting HL or Black Noir to show up at any second and ruin everything and it added a ton of tension.

it's like a horror movie with superheroes for slashers

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dracula Factory posted:

This episode was very well constructed/directed, focusing on each character's romantic relationships (episode appropriately titled "Nothing Like It in the World"), even interspersing those mysterious dating site testimonials, and ending with how Homelander has decided to burn all personal connections.

I really enjoyed that someone with a vision was behind the camera.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Escobarbarian posted:

I can’t believe this loving debate is still happening

Some people are monumentally bad at watching TV to the point of rewriting it in their heads, are trolling for an argument, or don't want to admit they like the nazi.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 13, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s not a debate it’s just one person being willfully obtuse and blatantly ignoring an actual show runner confirming something laid out clear as day in the text.

If Bioshuffle isn’t an obvious troll than they are bending over backwards to white knight his Nazi waifu.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

This episode was very well constructed/directed, focusing on each character's romantic relationships (episode appropriately titled "Nothing Like It in the World"), even interspersing those mysterious dating site testimonials, and ending with how Homelander has decided to burn all personal connections.

I really enjoyed that someone with a vision was behind the camera.

yeah certainly everything feels intentional. A great break from so much TV, from GOT to your typical CW show, where scenes only occur to have actors have something to do.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I think The Flash has around 10 speedsters in one city so yeah I can see over 20 in vought's america

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Bust Rodd posted:

Maria Menounos had just the right "Holy poo poo, I am watching a train-wreck right now, keepthemtalkingkeepthemtalking!" expression on her face the whole time too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

crepeface posted:

https://i.imgur.com/OYGOSAI.mp4
antony starr can drink the hell out of some milk

Homelander’s milk thing is just the nastiest thing ever. It gives me the heebie-jeebies more than anything else on the show.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Homelander’s milk thing is just the nastiest thing ever. It gives me the heebie-jeebies more than anything else on the show.

Well, it's not clear cut if it's actually a fetish, he could just have a very bad calcium deficiency.
:goonsay:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

That Italian Guy posted:

Well, it's not clear cut if it's actually a fetish, he could just have a very bad calcium deficiency.
:goonsay:

Frankly, how can we be sure that's milk in the bottle?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's oat milk, he's just really pleased with himself about his vegan choices and the vegan choices in other peoples' refrigerators.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Karen's last baked ziti.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

Frankly, how can we be sure that's milk in the bottle?

It’s milk from a cloned cow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One thing I noticed is how uncomfortable this show wants me to feel about violence. Maybe it's getting into my 30s, but I'm actually finding my stomach churning at how much violence is glorified in modern media. The first John Wick was kind of fun, but I actually couldn't make it through the third movie because it felt like I was watching a mass shooter's rehearsal. When it's not detached slaughter like John Wick, it's stuff like "Taken" or "Jim Ashley: Cartel Hunter" or some poo poo about a man in our modern world who gets to go on a justified rampage. The early seasons of GoT usually made killing mean something, but that show eventually dove into the deep end of stylized choreographed murder. The modern Jurassic Parks are basically just comedy kill montages written by vore fetishists. American Horror is even built largely on the idea that you're rooting for people to get killed in gruesome or funny ways.

And how many streaming-specific shows/movies have you watched where there's a scene where an interesting conversation is suddenly interrupted by someone getting brutally murdered from something off-screen, usually a bullet, and how often are you expecting it?* It's becoming the new version of that fad in the '00s where someone is suddenly hit by a car from off-screen where you knew it was coming based on how the scene was being shot.

The Boys, though, feels like it's sitting next to me, also uncomfortable with the violence and murder on display, in that most of it is being done by people who have no respect for life, and they are shown to be the deplorable psychos they are. It's just nice to have glorification of murder broken up for once. I like that there are few fight scenes.

*The Boys does this too, I know.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 13, 2020