Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the big problem with btw is that the setting sucks, the fights consist of a lamer version of kidou, and we haven't been given a reason to care about anything that is happening. oh no, the worst fuckin' dude that no other character likes is a danger to the public and will be put down. what a tragedy.

but on the other hand, cquntnire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chumbler posted:

Also cool guys who punch things, and a good soundtrack, and the shinigami's cup shorts are generally pretty funny.

Ding
Shinigami zukaan~

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Balgo is at least tolerable since he's not crowing about underwear every two panels, but tolerable does not mean good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's kon as the male lead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just another series held back by its need to have a dumb boy.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

See, I actually think the basic setting’s pretty fun. If anything Kubo’s devoting too many words to trying to explain it when “London with dragons and witches and poo poo” stands just fine on its own and explanations about how Wing Bind actually works can wait till he’s got a longer arc to let it breathe. For a 4 episode story you should just introduce the core characters and their gimmicks and leave world-building as subtext. But personally I think detailed world building is overrated.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the artificial cosmology of bleach is super hosed up, never really worked very well, and is used as an excuse for fascist repression of every single person who dies. this is never really examined because the most ardent supporters of this fundamentally rotten system are cool guys with cool swords.

It seems that Bleach: You Can't Fear Your Own World is specifically about how hosed the cosmology is and I presume over the three novels something will be done about it. Considering Prolouge 1 is "oh God, the Soul King is hosed," Prolouge 2 is "Aizen explaining why he was right for trying to change the cosmology" and Chapter 1 is "the husband of Tosen's friend admitting the world is hosed up because he will never be punished for killing his wife because he is a noble but he's a monster so he won't stop and actually gets off on it." There are definitely building to something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So CFYOW seems to just be saying all the villains were right and poses 69-Tattoo, who is a journalist, as someone totally unimportant and not special but will somehow fix things.

Honestly kind of digging it. They chose a guy with severe insecurity and no super powers for the MC and seem to be addressing the original comics hosed up world.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They also have Hisagi talk to Ginjo as a reminder of hey, that thing with the deputy soul reaper and his fullbringer friends and his earlier fullbringer friends he had Tsukishima wipe his memory of that the soul reapers killed was kind of hosed up.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

One of the dumbest things in Bleach was that they spent like 100 chapters showing that Soul Society is disgustingly corrupt and evil but then just made them the good guys without really acknowledging all the previously establishing hosed up stuff. So hearing that someone seems to have remembered it is nice.

Seriously gently caress Mayuri.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Nephthys posted:

One of the dumbest things in Bleach was that they spent like 100 chapters showing that Soul Society is disgustingly corrupt and evil but then just made them the good guys without really acknowledging all the previously establishing hosed up stuff. So hearing that someone seems to have remembered it is nice.

Another weird side effect is that the protagonists could never really be the underdog ever again, because the good guy faction WAS The System.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Something about investigative journalist Hisagi as a concept that I really like, that and more Tousen backstory? I actually kinda wanna buy it too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

He takes the job seriously to an almost comical degree and it's kind of great.

Also I'm pretty sure Ichigo and crew never show up, though of course they get mentioned a lot due to being kind of big deals.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
A Bleach story without Ichigo? That sounds even better!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbf Ichigo not showing up is pretty accurate to the comic as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ichigo can't appear in the novels because he's still repeatedly climbing that tower.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ichigo can't appear in the novels because he's still repeatedly climbing that tower.

Haven't heard that nickname for Orihime before.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nephthys posted:

but they placed so well in the character polls

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Chapter 4 and final of Burn the Witch is live.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007623

Guess the fascist organization oppressing the dragons are the good guys after all :shrug:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

kind of sucks rear end imho

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wait so Balgo got a sword out of nowhere and then... did nothing with it? And then the joke character boss just oneshots the dragon from across town? Which kinda made the whole last two chapters pointless?

Well I can't say Kubo's lost his stride.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't understand anyone's actions or motivations in this chapter.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what the gently caress is going on is kubo alright

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also I have no idea why Balgo got a big 'ol hug to end the chapter, he didn't do anything, and the girls don't really seem to give a poo poo about him outside of feeling obligated to protect him for some reason. This poo poo is all over the place even for Kubo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like the dead dove scene from Arrested Development.

I don't know what I expected.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Sydin posted:

Also I have no idea why Balgo got a big 'ol hug to end the chapter, he didn't do anything, and the girls don't really seem to give a poo poo about him outside of feeling obligated to protect him for some reason. This poo poo is all over the place even for Kubo.

This part I at least think is supposed to be her being tsundere and glad he gets to live? But they treat him like absolute dogshit and they’re right to do so, Balgo loving sucks. He’s got no redeeming qualties and isn’t even funny. The anime’s one hope if they don’t follow this story at all.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like the dead dove scene from Arrested Development.

I don't know what I expected.

we thought it was gonna be a return to the first arc type of hijinks from bleach

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If this had ended with someone saying "The Aristocrats!", I think it would've made just as much sense.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofvaakyqiF4

Here are all the openings put together in a video long enough to be an episode.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sydin posted:

It was established in the one-shot that she likes him. in fact the only time she shows any emotion / breaks her stoicism is around him.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
What happened to the big faceless dragon at the end of the first chapter.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Kild posted:

It was established in the one-shot that she likes him. in fact the only time she shows any emotion / breaks her stoicism is around him.

I mean, it would be nice if they actually had something in common, or did things together, or had any real interaction outside of acting like assholes to each other but anime gonna anime.

Edit: Balgo has powers which everyone treats like a big deal despite the fact they basically don't do anything in the plot, no matter what they might theoretically be capable of? Balgo is totally Orihime. Does that mean Macy is gonna be this manga's Chad?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She loves the way he won't shut up about her loving underwear.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For the curious, in CFYOW, it's made clear that among the Fullbringers, Yukio, Riruka, and Jackie survived.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm really curious how burn the witch did. It didn't do it for me at least.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Reasonably well in Japan apparently. It was trending on twitter in Japan a couple days ago and Jump did a fan poll asking if readers wanted to see more Burn the Witch or Kishimoto's latest work Samurai 8, with BtW won by a frankly embarrassing margin. The couple PV's that have come out also look pretty well animated so presumably there's some actual budget behind it, and now we've gotten a teaser for a second season of the manga. So presumably SJ thinks there's enough interest to keep it going.

I'm kinda hoping the action will make a lot more sense in animation than it does in the manga, but that won't do anything to help the absolute clusterfuck of a plot unless there are some big rewrites.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Didn't Samurai 8 already get canned? Makes sense for something dead and probably forgotten until the poll came out to lose in the polls.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Wait why does that one sumerian priestess with the huge knockers have a panty window in her pants

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Fanservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
People are also way into Bangnyfe, even though he's another generic Kubo pretty boy.

Sydin posted:

Reasonably well in Japan apparently. It was trending on twitter in Japan a couple days ago and Jump did a fan poll asking if readers wanted to see more Burn the Witch or Kishimoto's latest work Samurai 8, with BtW won by a frankly embarrassing margin.

Goddamn how bad is Samurai 8?