Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Wild T posted:

Regarding Butcher in the most recent episode: was I the only one half-expecting Butcher to murder Becca? They lingered on his crowbar very deliberately when he was packing his gear. Having his decade-long crusade fall apart in front of him and getting rejected by Becca -- for a SUPE kid -- would be enough to snap him. After all, he's just as obsessive and drat near as volatile as Homelander except without powers and the lack of accountability that came with them.

He's going to beat someone to death with that crowbar.

I think the reason they lingered on the crowbar is cause it's an iconic weapon for Butcher in the comics. So I guess it's a bit of an easter egg since he hasn't really used a crowbar on anyone so far - except maybe Translucent in S1E1?

He is definitely going to kill someone with a crowbar, though, just not Becca.

E: now with more pictures!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

All of a sudden I'm really interested in what's going with Black Noir. He's the most driven and focused of the Seven (in fact, he seems to be the only one who actually does field work at this point) but he's still totally an enigma. They've gone out of their way to suggest a deeper pathology going on with the guy this season, what with playing with the kid's stuffed rabbit, showing respect for Lucy, and crying at finding out he's created with compound V. I could be totally wrong but something in the back of my head says he might not even be tracking Butcher to kill him, but could be looking for information about Compound V/Vought from one of the company's most persistent and effective opponents. Add to the fact that even Butcher fighting and escaping or killing Noir seems like too straightforward and unlikely a conclusion to a confrontation they've been building to since the beginning of episode 4. I think there's more going on here, and I think we're going get some interesting developments about Noir in the next episode.

Or I'm completely wrong and Kimiko/Starlight/The Boys/Butcher's sheer tactical genius will save the day and the plot point doesn't really go anywhere.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress it. Storefront isn't just a nazi. She's a girl from Brazil

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Bust Rodd posted:

While I was completely subsumed with dread during the entire episode, I never thought for a second Butcher would harm a hair on her head, and if I'm being honest, Becca being an extremely intelligent person, handling her emotions realistically, and still siding with her son over her ex-husband, even given the circumstances, makes her, like, the most fully realized strong female character in the show about women with super strength who can fly and shoot laser beams. Becca rules

I feel like she is literally the most powerless push over character in the show, and that includes Hughie. If she was strong, she would not have turned herself into a literal prisoner, acquiescing to their every little demand. If she was really an empowered female, a quick visit to the abortion clinic would have resolved almost all of her issues from the get go. We'll have to wait to see if the show addresses this issue, but seeing as how they've tackled racism, it wouldn't surprise me if this pops up at some point or another.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Riatsala posted:

All of a sudden I'm really interested in what's going with Black Noir. He's the most driven and focused of the Seven (in fact, he seems to be the only one who actually does field work at this point) but he's still totally an enigma. They've gone out of their way to suggest a deeper pathology going on with the guy this season, what with playing with the kid's stuffed rabbit, showing respect for Lucy, and crying at finding out he's created with compound V. I could be totally wrong but something in the back of my head says he might not even be tracking Butcher to kill him, but could be looking for information about Compound V/Vought from one of the company's most persistent and effective opponents. Add to the fact that even Butcher fighting and escaping or killing Noir seems like too straightforward and unlikely a conclusion to a confrontation they've been building to since the beginning of episode 4. I think there's more going on here, and I think we're going get some interesting developments about Noir in the next episode.

Or I'm completely wrong and Kimiko/Starlight/The Boys/Butcher's sheer tactical genius will save the day and the plot point doesn't really go anywhere.
I guess it may just a way to show Black Noir as a simple minded fella (veering onto the "cunning but dumb"). He is one of the biggest mysteries of the show for everyone - since his comics version is most likely not what they are going for with the show. One of my favorite scenes from the comic (minor comic spoiler) is when Vought wants to sell a new toyline, so they introduce the Noirjet. Black Noir is undergoing training with someone from the Air Force, but he keeps crashing planes cause he's too dumb to learn. There's a scene inside the 7 main base where Black Noir is sitting in the cockpit and a Top Gun is teaching him how to turn on the jet, but he keeps getting things wrong, till he gets pissed, disembarks from the plane, grabs it and crumples it against the base walls.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Quote this post if you want BioShuffle to get probed until the season is over

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

If you can legitimately explain which rules I'm breaking, I'll gladly stop posting. So far, the only thing I'm guilty of is making a few wrong guesses.

https://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Wild T posted:

Regarding Butcher in the most recent episode: was I the only one half-expecting Butcher to murder Becca? They lingered on his crowbar very deliberately when he was packing his gear. Having his decade-long crusade fall apart in front of him and getting rejected by Becca -- for a SUPE kid -- would be enough to snap him. After all, he's just as obsessive and drat near as volatile as Homelander except without powers and the lack of accountability that came with them.

I expected it to be the kid, tbh

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Phi230 posted:

I mean all Vought supes are sellouts, but that name is maybe a little bit too on the nose. :v:

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So She's Always a Woman this year or next GO

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

BrotherJayne posted:

I expected it to be the kid, tbh

I'm very interested to see what they'll do with the kid. I'm confused by Becca's plan for the kid. She is raising him FOR Vought, what does she expect? None of this makes any sense at all, and frankly it's the worst written part of the show, by far.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bioshuffle posted:

If you can legitimately explain which rules I'm breaking, I'll gladly stop posting. So far, the only thing I'm guilty of is making a few wrong guesses.

https://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/

You suck and though it's not a rule, it's a thing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm very interested to see what they'll do with the kid. I'm confused by Becca's plan for the kid. She is raising him FOR Vought, what does she expect? None of this makes any sense at all, and frankly it's the worst written part of the show, by far.

Do you just watch the show for the colors on the screen or what, she literally explained it. If she doesn't take care of the kid they'll just make another Homelander, she's trying to raise him as an actual decent person.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Piell posted:

Do you just watch the show for the colors on the screen or what, she literally explained it. If she doesn't take care of the kid they'll just make another Homelander, she's trying to raise him as an actual decent person.

Do you really believe Vought will let her raise her kid as a good kid instead of turning him into another machine? You know they were literally founded by a Nazi, right? You're talking about a company that literally covered for an actual rapist. There's no way that kid will have any chance of growing up into a decent human being. Keep in mind he is literally growing up inside a guarded prison. It's like the Truman show but way worse.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Wild T posted:

Nah. Becca knows Butcher better than he knows himself and if she thought for a second he was capable of that she would've triggered the Vought alarm.

If the showrunners are smart we'll get to see more of her independent of Butcher and Homelander, because she's probably the most interesting character on the show. She has been thrown into a completely hosed up, nigh unwinnable situation and still risen to the occasion when everyone else involved is just spiraling into their own agendas, insecurities, and neuroses. No doubt that she has a plan for her and Kid HL that doesn't result in him being just another superpowered Vought pawn with mental issues and I hope the show lets us see that, as well as giving more insight into her struggle and perspective.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bioshuffle posted:

Do you really believe Vought will let her raise her kid as a good kid instead of turning him into another machine? You know they were literally founded by a Nazi, right? You're talking about a company that literally covered for an actual rapist. There's no way that kid will have any chance of growing up into a decent human being. Keep in mind he is literally growing up inside a guarded prison. It's like the Truman show but way worse.

How are you this loving stupid, they literally had a scene where the kid protectrd his mom and rejected Homelander's ubermensch bullshit, she did raise him as a good kid. This stuff is literally being shown on screen

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol just lol at linking the forums rules and acting like people don't get probed for being obtuse dickheads all the time

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Maybe she's testing stuff on the kid to figure out what his weakness might be so they can use it on Homelander. I bet it's crowbars and no one has ever tried hitting Homelander with a crowbar before.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Piell posted:

How are you this loving stupid, they literally had a scene where the kid protectrd his mom and rejected Homelander's ubermensch bullshit.
You know, if you stopped with the ad hominem attacks and engaged in civilized discourse, that would be nice. You're welcome to disagree with me, but I think that kid is going to grow up with some major issues. Especially after the episode, wherein, his dad pushes him off the roof and attacks his mom. Also, there's no way Homelander is done with the kid.

You might think he'll grow up just fine, but I think he's going to grow up with some major issues. We can just agree to disagree. That's probably why they hired an actual actor for the role, instead of just some random kid.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
plz

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Just use the "Ignore User" superpower, no one will think less of you people.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 14, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Stormfront is still probably obfuscating or fabricating stuff when she talked about her Halloween costume because before the 50s there were just not that many Disney princesses for people to dress up as, and Pippi Longstocking would not have been a laughable or weird costume. I guess there's a lot of wiggle room right now for when her "real childhood" took place, though, so maybe I'm being too literal.

I will say I think the Pippi Longstocking stuff is interesting because I actually also really liked those books as a kid-- I'm a few years younger than Aya Cash IRL but close enough that I totally bought that she might have grown up with the cartoon adaptation (which iirc aired pretty regularly on the... Disney Channel I want to say?) and the books front and center in the kids' section of the library. I'm curious to see how the season plays out because the character does have a bunch of overlap with her hero-- super-strong, a "speak truth to power" persona, and perhaps revealingly Pippi Longstocking also has that Peter Pan "I refuse to ever grow up" thing going on.

Come on, don't be an rear end in a top hat. It's no fun to have everybody telling you you're wrong, I get that, but don't be a dick.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

That Italian Guy posted:

Just use the "Ignore User" superpower, no one will think less of you people.

But people keep quoting his garbage :-(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bioshuffle posted:

You know, if you stopped with the ad hominem attacks and engaged in civilized discourse, that would be nice. You're welcome to disagree with me, but I think that kid is going to grow up with some major issues. Especially after the episode, wherein, his dad pushes him off the roof and attacks his mom. Also, there's no way Homelander is done with the kid.

You might think he'll grow up just fine, but I think he's going to grow up with some major issues. We can just agree to disagree. That's probably why they hired an actual actor for the role, instead of just some random kid.

I think the kid grows up fine and he becomes good super man.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Actually I change my mind, i think becky goes insane after watching the boys version of brightburn and she ends up trying to stab her son with a piece of the ufo from the barn.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The kid might wind up killing his dad by the end of the show, but I think a "good ending" for him is to become a tax accountant who never uses his powers.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The Pippa bit is a fantastic show of cultural literacy and something that gives me confidence writing the character with more depth than just Nordic Rune Barbie. Also I'm consistently impressed with Colby Minifie's ability to play someone barely suppressing the realization that her impostor syndrome is justified.

Also I'm holding out hope that the kid defeats Butcher in the finale in some way, a pretty clearly heroic act that is complicated by the lens and focus of the series.

Bioshuffle posted:

If you can legitimately explain which rules I'm breaking, I'll gladly stop posting.

S&P thread posted:

Really, just use common sense and don't be a dick
Your rejection of the show's explicit text and obvious subtext violates the first clause. The ableism violates both. The limp attempts at edgy trolling through racism, ableism, and now bizarre misogyny fall into the catchall category of godawful posting from the "formal" forums rule.

It's been fun but I trust you'll stick to your word and :fuckoff: forever rather than continuing to grace us with your attempts to police women's responses to their sexual assaults.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 14, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Phi230 posted:

I really liked her scene with Humdinger in the last episode.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

PostNouveau posted:

The kid might wind up killing his dad by the end of the show, but I think a "good ending" for him is to become a tax accountant who never uses his powers.

So a mild mannered tax accountant, I can dig that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I come here from the show, I stay for exploring forum rules meanings.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
waiting for the redemption arc

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mat Cauthon posted:

A regenerating Supe would be very useful for a lot of practical applications, I can't imagine that dude's worklife is pleasant. Plot reasons aside I don't even understand why Vought lets him wander around freely outside of work hours. In real life he'd be in as many literal pieces as they could keep viable in a lab somewhere.

Mallory seems to been on the Supe hater angle for a while, maybe she just had an inkling when Stormfront showed up. It seems like Liberty just disappeared in the 70's, so it might be that she's a cold case that got reopened.

For whatever reason they used to run this movie constantly on HBO, I think I've seen it like 100 times.

Edit: Promo for episode 5 is making the rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVF-cgKP52M

SOoooooo I looked at the comic books for spoilers and one of the last issues is a few of the names of episodes this season. What I'm getting at are they planning to stretch this show out or is the show going to be short and sweet?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Bioshuffle posted:

Seeing as she's Liberty, she is racist. This has already been established. You should read the thread maybe? Missed the stuff where the actress calls the character racist. Where was this?

she was racist before the liberty thing. jesus christ can we get a probe here

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Paracaidas posted:

The Pippa bit is a fantastic show of cultural literacy and something that gives me confidence writing the character with more depth than just Nordic Rune Barbie. Also I'm consistently impressed with Colby Minifie's ability to play someone barely suppressing the realization that her impostor syndrome is justified.

I have a lot of sympathy for Ashley because I used to have the same haircut as her and I know how hard a cross it is to bear.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Pippi Longstocking line initially read to me as a hipster millennial thing. In that its very "[current popular thing] is just an inferior version of [less popular thing from decades ago]".

Bioshuffle posted:

I feel like she is literally the most powerless push over character in the show, and that includes Hughie. If she was strong, she would not have turned herself into a literal prisoner, acquiescing to their every little demand. If she was really an empowered female, a quick visit to the abortion clinic would have resolved almost all of her issues from the get go. We'll have to wait to see if the show addresses this issue, but seeing as how they've tackled racism, it wouldn't surprise me if this pops up at some point or another.

moist turtleneck posted:

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

moist turtleneck posted:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
The Pipppi Longstocking scene is awesome regardless of Stormfront being a Nazi. :colbert:

Also, I had totally forgotten how to ignore someone on SA. Thanks Bio... something for making me figure it out again.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’d probe Bioshuffle for calling a woman a female

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Tenzarin posted:

So a mild mannered tax accountant, I can dig that.
This is also acceptable. Working on the corporate fraud investigation that brings down Vought?

How Wonderful! posted:

I have a lot of sympathy for Ashley because I used to have the same haircut as her and I know how hard a cross it is to bear.
My sympathies. Everything about Ashley and how she's played is spot on. The crime analyst who is apparently the go to for Noir and others is such a perfect foil for her too, a bit like Malcom Barrett (Seth/Lem from Better Off Ted) and Butcher for Hughie.

For all the awesome spectacle, nihilism, and societal/economic critique, I still think it's the the more understated moments exploring normal people in a Supe world that keeps me coming back each week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I always assume Becca had very little choice in giving birth or not, once she went to Vougth and told them she was in their clutches.
Her staying with the child makes perfect sense. She is his only chanche of a somewhat normal childhood and a life without crippling emotional issues. Ofcourse she wants to stay to protect him.

Now with that being said. Growing up with just his mother around has to end up causing him some harm, one way or another. He migth have a kind heart but he is still going to struggle to function normally. Probably a ton of social anxiety just walking down a crowded street. Instead of cruel and creepy like his father he will be merely nice, anxious, weird and lonely.
Maybe they will give him a nicer ending, but relastically that`s a best case scenario from growing up like Homelander`s kid.