Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I could watch that video a hundred times.

E: Posting a link for the top of the neww page:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VmOqjV_7Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

rage-saq posted:

They haven’t done any VR footage. I asked the EA CM for the game and he was like “It’s hard to capture good VR content” and I’m like @_@

That's not exactly encouraging... I might spring for non-VR on my PC for now, I have doubts about the grfx with PSVR

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

"Alright, we gotta keep this related to the video game, so you have to show us, like, at LEAST two special skill cards from two different types of fighters. Oh, and show the pilot adjusting the weapons/engines/shields sliders, nerds are gonna eat that poo poo UP."

That thing owned goddamn

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hopper posted:

That's not exactly encouraging... I might spring for non-VR on my PC for now, I have doubts about the grfx with PSVR

To be fair, no flat screen trailer can do justice to the 360 vr environment, and just looks gimmicky as hell

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

poo poo that went from Battlestar Galactica to Independence Day really fast. I like it. The Tie Bomber lady didn't stand a chance. Maybe a reference to the bomber pilot from Otaking's short film?

For obvious reasons, I hope not.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Drone posted:

"Alright, we gotta keep this related to the video game, so you have to show us, like, at LEAST two special skill cards from two different types of fighters. Oh, and show the pilot adjusting the weapons/engines/shields sliders, nerds are gonna eat that poo poo UP."

That thing owned goddamn

Yeah, the fact that the video was careful to highlight stuff you'll be able to do in-game makes me hope that the atmospheric stuff will actually be a map type eventually. The stuff with the clouds reminded me a lot of Ace Combat 7.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

To be fair, no flat screen trailer can do justice to the 360 vr environment, and just looks gimmicky as hell

True, but I want to see sharpness and texture quality, which is a legit concern with PSVR. That could be done with still images.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hopper posted:

True, but I want to see sharpness and texture quality, which is a legit concern with PSVR. That could be done with still images.

Didn't psvr top out on capabilities a while back? Like, I wouldn't expect my old rift cv1 to have readable displays

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's my concern, I wonder whether PSVR support is more of a gimmick than a viable play option .

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hopper posted:

Yeah that's my concern, I wonder whether PSVR support is more of a gimmick than a viable play option .

It kinda is, its there because its there on PC, but that means its basically free and the psvr market is bigger than pcvr(i wanna say like 3 times the size or something out there)

Also maybe psvr2 on ps5, if that turns out to be a thing

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Shine posted:

The biggest issue with those titles (all versions) is joystick jitter. Apparently there's a bug in that game engine where moving a joystick on only the (I think) pitch axis makes the ship lose its poo poo and flip around instantly, and the devs worked around that by adding some intentional jitter to prevent you from moving only in that direction. I don't recall noticing that when I was a kid (probably because my joystick was cheap poo poo anyway), but it's super noticeable playing with my modern stick to the point of making TIE Fighter feel drat near unplayable with it. Trying to line up a shot on something flying directly away from you is very frustrating.

It would take a lot worse for me to give up the iMuse soundtrack. I always rationalized the jitter as the spaceships being hard to fly, whatever.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

rage-saq posted:

That CG short was so good. I want an entire TV series or a movie set to that, I would watch the poo poo out of it.

except yeah

from the perspective of the not fascists

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
That video owned and they’re sitting on a potential goldmine if they turn that into actual tv series that follows Rogue Squadron and the 181st.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hhhat posted:

except yeah

from the perspective of the not fascists

Would you prefer a story about the fascist becoming a good guy at the drop of a hat? Because that story worked so well for Battlefront 2 and the ST films.

You can make a story about a fascist protagonist and make it compelling without condoning their actions. You just need to put the effort in. See: Tie Fighter.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The 90's were a different time, and that kind of thing has become less palatable in modern media for a lot of people because of, well, the world being what it is these days. Fascism wasn't really a credible enemy for most in the 90s and so it became easier and more fun to tell stories like Maarek Stele's, but it's become a very real concern twenty-some years later.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Arcsquad12 posted:

OG

I like the 98 version. The texture work lines up with the Jedi Knight games and looks better to me.
The X-wing to XvT Engine were pretty much gradual upgrades bolting on new shading and textures with small mission fixes and reworked cutscenes.
I kind of have a sweet spot for the Collector Editions (not to be confused with the later collector series re-releases that came alongside with XWA).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The 95 CD-ROM version is great because you still have the iMUSE audio, plus they doubled the resolution, so while the graphics are very basic, they look nice and clean.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
https://twitter.com/EpicGames/status/1305524198501224449?s=20

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

BogDew posted:

The X-wing to XvT Engine were pretty much gradual upgrades bolting on new shading and textures with small mission fixes and reworked cutscenes.
I kind of have a sweet spot for the Collector Editions (not to be confused with the later collector series re-releases that came alongside with XWA).

Good memories of needing to use a boot disk to load X-Wing Collector's CD Rom because otherwise the family 486 wouldn't be able to handle it.

On a completely different note, I wonder if I can find a copy of the X-Wing Official Strategy Guide anywhere. Mine is literally falling apart.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Are the Steam versions of X-Wing/TIE/XvT the ones to play, or should I do GOG? I know Steam versions of a lot of these old games seem to have issues.

And I guess my Thrustmaster 16000 will work with them? Obviously not as a HOTAS (or... will it?) but the stick at least?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Hell loving yeah.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PunkBoy posted:

Good memories of needing to use a boot disk to load X-Wing Collector's CD Rom because otherwise the family 486 wouldn't be able to handle it.

On a completely different note, I wonder if I can find a copy of the X-Wing Official Strategy Guide anywhere. Mine is literally falling apart.

I still have my copy (and the TIE Fighter and XWA ones).

As for XvT, I’ve written strategy guides for some of the missions in that game.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I haven't been keeping up with the news on this. Is there going to be a matchmaking system for multiplayer? I'm really bad at flying games. Hoping that it will just match me with other bad people

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the news on this. Is there going to be a matchmaking system for multiplayer? I'm really bad at flying games. Hoping that it will just match me with other bad people

The safe money is on there being matchmaking queues for various game modes like in Battlefront 2 (the new one, not the old one).

Or do you mean some kind of hidden Elo that is always on even when not playing ranked? Not sure. Did BF2 do that?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
That short was sick, agree that I think it'd be sweet to get a disney plus xwing vs tie fighter series.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Dogfight is the ranked mode, so that will match you up against players at your skill level.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Symetrique posted:

Dogfight is the ranked mode, so that will match you up against players at your skill level.

Ah okay cool.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just cant see how this game doesn't do well in sales. It is hitting all the buttons my dumb star wars brain needs

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I want to be good in this game so I can make sick esports highlight videos.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to do toe fighter drive-bys whole space drifting.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I want an all-Uglies game mode.

Like, imagine being able to rip parts off of various ships, make your own uglies, and then battle them. That'd be rad (and ugly) as hell.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Drone posted:

The 90's were a different time, and that kind of thing has become less palatable in modern media for a lot of people because of, well, the world being what it is these days. Fascism wasn't really a credible enemy for most in the 90s and so it became easier and more fun to tell stories like Maarek Stele's, but it's become a very real concern twenty-some years later.

agreed. https://www.starwars.com/databank/varko-grey i like that he is a married ex space pig who sticks with the imps because sunk cost. i think you can explore why people would join the empire and stick with it to that point with good writers and new canon has been doing a good job with it so far.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 14, 2020

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Would you prefer a story about the fascist becoming a good guy at the drop of a hat? Because that story worked so well for Battlefront 2 and the ST films.

You can make a story about a fascist protagonist and make it compelling without condoning their actions. You just need to put the effort in. See: Tie Fighter.

No, I'd just prefer they focus in on the heroes. Sure, I'm going to fly tie fighters and poo poo in game, but the one thing the spirit of the OT got right was 'gently caress the empire.' Even the Tie Fighter games were a bit tongue in cheek about the fact that you were flying for the evil side. This video is making me empathize with a fascist. Ew I say.

Drone posted:

Yep! This guy gets it

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
It's not hard to make a singleplayer story about a pilot that is sympathetic for the Imperials. What you have to do is make the viewpoint character a victim of propaganda.

Picture this - you're from a world that was neglected under the Old Republic. You were on the bottom social class and the rich non-human natives of the planet exploit you for their profit. Humans aren't OVERTLY second-class citizens, you have rights and stuff. But all the police were nonhuman and all the politicians were nonhuman and all the rich and powerful people were nonhuman. And their biology isn't compatible with humans so you can't even eat in the same dining establishments because their amino acids will give you allergic reactions. You live in a slum where the cops don't care what happens to you as long as the nonhuman interests are looked after, so the place is just absolutely rife with crime and nonhuman criminals don't get prosecuted. The Empire takes over and all that changes. Stormtroopers cut down nonhuman criminals in a riot of blaster fire. Nonhuman politicians and businessmen are jailed for corruption. Then a rebel cell blows up the Moff's residence. A star destroyer is destroyed in orbit and the debris rains down on a populated area, killing or injuring thousands and leaving more homeless. You enlist and get flagged for pilot school. Suddenly you're powerful, popular, respected. The propaganda department tells you that the Empire is bringing order and RIGHTEOUSNESS to the galaxy, and those alien-led rebels are trying to destroy everything you've worked for.

Basically imagine the propaganda telling you that the Empire is America, the Rebellion is Al Quaeda, Mon Mothma is Bin Laden, Alderaan is Afghanistan, and the Death Star was the Twin Towers. In a police state with a government-controlled news apparatus, you can't tell the utter bullshit lie propaganda from the truth, and ways of telling the truth that the state doesn't want you to know get killed with ruthless efficiency. If you're one of the "approved citizenry" and follow the rules they give you without complaint, life is good for you and the people who resist seem like the bad guys. You have to see the horrors and abuses for yourself to know better.

Edit: I'm not saying that America is a police state with a government controlled news apparatus. Not making a political statement about the US here. I'm pointing out how if you lie about what is happening, it can look a lot more like something that even decent folks can fall behind if they don't know the truth.

Cobbsprite fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 14, 2020

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The problem, the huge crippling problem, with that is just how many people are going to absolutely miss the point you're trying to make. For a substantial portion of your audience, this is just going to be a sincere display of why the Empire isn't actually all bad after all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hhhat posted:

No, I'd just prefer they focus in on the heroes. Sure, I'm going to fly tie fighters and poo poo in game, but the one thing the spirit of the OT got right was 'gently caress the empire.' Even the Tie Fighter games were a bit tongue in cheek about the fact that you were flying for the evil side. This video is making me empathize with a fascist. Ew I say.

Again I dont think its impossible to make a compelling story about a fascist. You may empathize with him based on the trailer but he can still be in the wrong. We know how the war ended and how badly it went to the Empire. A man driven by vengeance and so blinded by loyalty to a fascist state that he can't see how much pain he's caused is a good hook, if not a particularly optimistic tale.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
orrrrr

you could just constantly remind the people playing the game that the empire is horrible and fascist and bad by just throwing out over the top evil poo poo like CRUSH THE REPUBLIC and DESTROY THEIR FARMS and EAT THEIR CHILDREN

you can still fly tie fighters just its 2020 don't write any bullshit about aww poor fascist its not his widdul fawt

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hhhat posted:

orrrrr

you could just constantly remind the people playing the game that the empire is horrible and fascist and bad by just throwing out over the top evil poo poo like CRUSH THE REPUBLIC and DESTROY THEIR FARMS and EAT THEIR CHILDREN

you can still fly tie fighters just its 2020 don't write any bullshit about aww poor fascist its not his widdul fawt

You sure are getting angry about a 6 minute video that tells us nothing about the character or his motivations. Honestly, it seems hypocritical of you to get this worked up over that video, but then tell us you're still going to play the game.

This thread got real lovely, real fast.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
rarrrrr i'm so angry and worked up over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is a problem that Gundam also deals with where there are plenty of people who sympathize with Zeon when their leadership was specifically compared to Hitler and the Nazis in the text itself. You give fascists cool looking toys and people who identify with surface level imagery think that since they look cool their ideas must be cool.

Also why so many people still think that Starship Troopers the movie is pro fascist.