Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

Oh hey, like 400 new posts, maybe we got some Discovery news...

Well I definitely think we discovered something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MichiganCubbie posted:

Season 3 has a kitty in it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The_Doctor posted:

put him on ignore

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MichiganCubbie posted:

I am currently experiencing bij ITT

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bilirubin posted:

That's how you know it's working

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Bilirubin posted:

My avatar like ten years ago was the VHS game's knock-off Gowron saying "You, the poster who is typing now: Experience BIJ!"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

the VHS game's knock-off Gowron

I'm sorry the hwat now

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm sorry the hwat now

Holy poo poo I had no idea that Robert O'Reilly was not actually playing Gowron in this VHS game and is in fact another Klingon character called Kavok?! Thanks for sharing MichiganCubbie - that is some seriously obscure trek trivia!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MichiganCubbie posted:

My avatar like ten years ago was the VHS game's knock-off Gowron saying "You, the poster who is typing now: Experience BIJ!"
I have not played this game in literal decades but I totally want to try again now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gelf posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea that Robert O'Reilly was not actually playing Gowron in this VHS game and is in fact another Klingon character called Kavok?! Thanks for sharing MichiganCubbie - that is some seriously obscure trek trivia!

I learned that myself a couple of months ago too, but it's funner to just think that it literally is Gowron, the Chancellor of the Klingon Empire and sworn ally of the United Federation of Planets, and he's hijacked the Enterprise-D for basically no reason because he's Gowron, he's an insane weirdo. Just go with it.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Hahaha I have no idea why I thought that was common knowledge. Glad to teach weird Trek trivia!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I learned about the VHS thing when Tested.com did a playthrough on their podcast. It sounded so bizarre.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lord Krangdar posted:

But since neither the setup nor the ultimate outcome are actually depicted in the panel, but are just implied, that means it actually does not contain either a setup or punchline. You can put it into words to restructure the gag that way, but they're not there in the comic.
That's pretty much what I said though?

Tiggum posted:

Yeah it is? Or at least, it can always be analysed or explained in that way.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Tiggum posted:

I'm trying to imagine a stand up act without any premises, setups, or punchlines. Even stool fuckers know the mechanics of a joke, even if they don't employ them sometimes because LOUD NOISE or something similar replaces a step.

EDIT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMT7MAnJna8

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 14, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Caught up on the most recent couple of episodes and the show is definitely getting better. The pilot is really, really manic in its comedy and they thankfully tone it down after that somewhat.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

I like it...

FIGHT ME!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Here's how a smart show would have done a holodeck callback joke: the characters go into the holodeck and someone makes a reference to how in TNG the safeties would go off and the holodeck characters would go all Westworld and try to murder everyone. The holodeck glitches a few times hinting that that's what's going to happen.

Instead what happens is when the ship gets damaged and the holodeck controls/safeties go off it turns out that *guest crewman of the week* is homicidal and wants to use the opportunity to kill our heroes, while the holodeck characters are still harmless and try ineffectively to help them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MichiganCubbie posted:

I remember one of the old Trek threads wanted to get a gang tag that said Experience Bij but the mods said gangtags were a pain in the rear end so no.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Aren't gangtags now just another HTML field that you put at the bottom of your custom avatar text?

Like, I'm pretty sure people can do them themselves now... that's how latecomers to the Animal Crossing one had to do theirs after the IK was done handing them out, anyway.

Though this shouldn't be done right now because the money still goes to Lowtax.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Drone posted:

Aren't gangtags now just another HTML field that you put at the bottom of your custom avatar text?

Like, I'm pretty sure people can do them themselves now... that's how latecomers to the Animal Crossing one had to do theirs after the IK was done handing them out, anyway.

Though this shouldn't be done right now because the money still goes to Lowtax.

You can add one or more images to your custom title as long as those images are on the SA server. "Real" gang tags are uploaded as gang tags but can then be used by anyone. There are also "fake" gang tags that are just images that someone bought as an avatar, which can then be added to custom titles in the same way.

"Real" gang tag: https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/racgoons.png

"Fake" gang tag: https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/7a/8c/00177214.0001.gif

You can see that the URL is different because that second one is actually biznatchio 2.0's avatar.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I remember one of the old Trek threads wanted to get a gang tag that said Experience Bij but the mods said gangtags were a pain in the rear end so no.

I think we designed them and everything, too.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Tiggum posted:

The other poster asserted that "Not all humor is setup/punchline". That comic was an example of humor that does not depict/contain a setup or a punchline.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Lord Krangdar posted:

The other poster asserted that "Not all humor is setup/punchline". That comic was an example of humor that does not depict/contain a setup or a punchline.

It does, though. He explained what the setup and punchline are. Just because you're not explicitly told something is the setup doesn't mean it's not.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Somebody just making a funny face can be humor

If it has a setup it's just "all of your life experiences up to that point" and if it had a punchline it's "and now this unexpected facial contortion"

But if you really want to claim that is a setup and a punchline, all you've done is make the terms you're defending so broad as to be utterly meaningless

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

"Setup" and "punchline" are just ways to explain parts of a joke, not actual things that exist. No joke contains a setup and punchline any more than a character contains motivation or a movie contains acts. They're just tools of writing and analysis.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Computer, disable safety protocols and beam everyone in this thread into the center of the nearest star

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Gelf posted:

:thunk: huh what the hell

I guess they didn't want to pay out the writer of gowron's episode?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

piratepilates posted:

:thunk: huh what the hell

I guess they didn't want to pay out the writer of gowron's episode?

Or they didn't want to characterize Gowron as a full-out villain. At that point he was still nominally a good guy.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Or they didn't want to characterize Gowron as a full-out villain. At that point he was still nominally a good guy.

It's funny because they actually went to the effort of getting him different makeup and a different forehead piece, so they can definitely make the argument that it's not Gowron.

It's a shame they cancelled the sequel:

Apparently the footage was all filmed and it was basically ready to ship when it was cancelled.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MichiganCubbie posted:

It's funny because they actually went to the effort of getting him different makeup and a different forehead piece, so they can definitely make the argument that it's not Gowron.

It's a shame they cancelled the sequel:

Apparently the footage was all filmed and it was basically ready to ship when it was cancelled.

:aaa:

I never knew this existed. I take it there are no footage leaks anywhere?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I think the only still I've seen of it was from the customizable card game; Q dressed as a referee.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is that John de Lancie as a Borg drone?

Please tell me that footage just ended up becoming the video game Star Trek: Borg.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

Please tell me that footage just ended up becoming the video game Star Trek: Borg.

Doubtful, since Borg was shot on Voyager's sets.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_739DxrMOs&t=3431s

:lol: 57:11 in

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Snorb posted:

I think the only still I've seen of it was from the customizable card game; Q dressed as a referee.
I think that is from Star Trek: Borg

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Drone posted:

It was completely different. I really hope some of the tapes survived and are out there. If the footage can be recovered, the game might be able to be reverse-engineered together, assuming it's similar to the first game.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nope.

That's clearly on the bridge of the Enterprise-D. As I said earlier, Borg was shot on Voyager's sets.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Q shows up in a Hawaiian shirt with Raoul Duke hat and a full on daiquiri in ST: Borg, for what it's worth though.

twistedmentat posted:

I could probably recreate old Experience Bij logo from The Spoony Experiment for the thread. The mods are MUCH more amenable to doing gang tags these days.

Any takers?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Timby posted:

Nope.

That's clearly on the bridge of the Enterprise-D. As I said earlier, Borg was shot on Voyager's sets.

Voyager was the same sound stage as TNG. dum facts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013