Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I guess this is a good thing?

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1305678120301637633

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

That's an extremely good thing... unless you like standing there for over a minute resummoning 9 golems after you get disconnected.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Zero VGS posted:

That's an extremely good thing... unless you like standing there for over a minute resummoning 9 golems after you get disconnected.

I don't play minion builds much, and I don't get disconnected much personally. In fact I can't remember at time where I was disconnected while in the middle of playing. And I played over 400 hours this league.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

That's a weird thing to do dedicated marketing for lol.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

My mana....................

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hamelekim posted:

I don't play minion builds much, and I don't get disconnected much personally. In fact I can't remember at time where I was disconnected while in the middle of playing. And I played over 400 hours this league.

Exactly... you don't get disconnected much *because* you don't play minion builds. Minions are really good at crashing poo poo.

Here's a streamer crashing to desktop in a party in Harvest, but you can easily crash solo if you play minions in a Blighted map, or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ners1AzmAk0&t=1109s

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
okay someone lay a league start bane/doom PoB on me, thanks in advance

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just use a chaos pob they all use the same poo poo. I wouldnt be suprised if impending doom was like a act 3 skill or an end of act 4 gem.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Bane does not apply doom.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

It should remove it though, right? Self-cast a curse, then use bane to override it and get the boom. I've no idea how the new curse stuff will work out but I'm excited to try it. I hope hexblast is good.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Reading some theorycrafting on the official forums it seems that you could do a 1-2 combo with self-cast Hex, which builds up Doom, then pop the Hex for Doom damage with Bane+Curses, then re-cast Hex to build up Doom again while Bane DoT continues. If that's how it works that'd be pretty smooth, imo.

Also I suddenly want to install Hexen,

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Or you could just cast Bane and move on to the next pack without needing multiple spells and waiting for Doom to build. Unless a linked Impending Doom curse can clear by itself I really do not see it being useful at all compared to the current options available. Hexblast MAYBE has potential, but I see it running into the same two casts required issue.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

whypick1 posted:

Not as good as EE did, unfortunately.

Man, I remember when EE made videos. It always sucks when a great Youtuber falls out of the community.

Also they seemingly didn't nerf any of the parts that makes Necromancer an adequate league start through to yellow maps so it's fine lol.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carrier posted:

Uhhh.... what?

I really don't want to go over this math again because ironically when Glancing Blows was released I was posting about its case uses and why it was good to mitigate alphas on Hardcore and no one cared lol.

And then it was moved to the tree.

It doesn't change your EHP but it changes the way alpha damage connects. However if you are dealing with fights where an alpha will kill even after 50% damage reduction, then Glancing Blows becomes a survivability loss. Hardcore builds often have enough defensive layers that a guaranteed 50% damage reduction on an alpha might make you survive it more often, while on softcore if you just took GB at first glance what might happen is that you're now extra vulnerable to certain bosses or maps.

At the end of the day the problem with GB is that it works perfectly well if you know exactly where and why, otherwise you're better suited with improving your build so that it doesn't die to damage streaks. You stabilize both unlucky and lucky streaks, at the cost of losing block completely against enemies that are overkilling you. Your EHP remains the same, but you lose an avoidance element completely against a certain tier of damage. If you're actually playing on Hardcore with a tanky build then you gain stability at no cost.

Now the node is a literal EHP loss and, at 65%, the opportunity cost is huge.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Cinara posted:

Or you could just cast Bane and move on to the next pack without needing multiple spells and waiting for Doom to build. Unless a linked Impending Doom curse can clear by itself I really do not see it being useful at all compared to the current options available. Hexblast MAYBE has potential, but I see it running into the same two casts required issue.

Hexblast/Impending Doom might work fairly well in a DoT sense, where on most mobs you just fire both spells but on bosses you can fire the hex and then wait until there's a safe spot to Hexblast/reapply, depending on how it scales.

Pre-patch notes, right now I'm thinking

1) Archmage probably Scion, either Ball Lightning or Crackling Arc
2) Cold DoT Occultist of some flavor
3) Whispering Ice something or other???

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Elentor posted:

I really don't want to go over this math again because ironically when Glancing Blows was released I was posting about its case uses and why it was good to mitigate alphas on Hardcore and no one cared lol.

And then it was moved to the tree.

It doesn't change your EHP but it changes the way alpha damage connects. However if you are dealing with fights where an alpha will kill even after 50% damage reduction, then Glancing Blows becomes a survivability loss. Hardcore builds often have enough defensive layers that a guaranteed 50% damage reduction on an alpha might make you survive it more often, while on softcore if you just took GB at first glance what might happen is that you're now extra vulnerable to certain bosses or maps.

At the end of the day the problem with GB is that it works perfectly well if you know exactly where and why, otherwise you're better suited with improving your build so that it doesn't die to damage streaks. You stabilize both unlucky and lucky streaks, at the cost of losing block completely against enemies that are overkilling you. Your EHP remains the same, but you lose an avoidance element completely against a certain tier of damage. If you're actually playing on Hardcore with a tanky build then you gain stability at no cost.

Now the node is a literal EHP loss and, at 65%, the opportunity cost is huge.

This is all with no HP/ES recovery on block, of course. Where it made you very very tanky because yeah you'd get damaged a lot but basically instantly recover it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I should add the extra caveat that I was thinking of the node as is for people who don't have Bone Offering, although the point of the insta murder thresholds still hold.

It is a really decent node to have while grinding to 100 though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenzarin posted:

He was talking about before it was highly taken in recent seasons.

I know I look like a man with suits on and an angry thug without but come on.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Elentor posted:

Glancing Blows was a newbie trap before.

Strong disagree here. Glancing Blows would smooth out the damage curve making it much easier to deal with. And thats before you add the bonkers on-block stuff.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheRat posted:

Strong disagree here. Glancing Blows would smooth out the damage curve making it much easier to deal with. And thats before you add the bonkers on-block stuff.

You're a hardcore-only player, Rat. Like I said, you play builds that always benefit from it.

When Glancing Blows was released people didn't even consider Bone Offering.

I can't believe the wheels have turned and now people are explaining to me how GB works after I spent so long explaining the benefits of that off-meta keystone, smdh.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 15, 2020

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Elentor posted:

I can't believe the wheels have turned and now people are explaining to me how GB works after I spent so long explaining the benefits of that off-meta keystone, smdh.

I was just responding to your own frickin post!!!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Elentor posted:

a guaranteed 50% damage reduction on an alpha

Erm, did I miss something that removed the 75% block cap?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McFrugal posted:

Erm, did I miss something that removed the 75% block cap?

No, I mean that the reduction is fixed to 50% and not dependent on other factors like Armour is.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Figured out one reason why I sucked so bad this league... I dual-boxed two minion builds, and split the auras between them. I figured having one dedicated aurabot and one dedicated minion character couldn't possibly outdps two identical characters splitting auras between them and having double the total minions.

Nope, even a fairly modest passive aurabot adds 425% More damage to a guardian who can then sink all his points into increased minion damage and forgo all aura nodes. The net result is about 20x more damage than an identical summoner/aura hybrid team.

The manifesto says they're gonna nerf Vengeful Commander though, and 350% of that 425% More is entirely from Hatred. Still, even with only budget uniques and no cluster jewels, it says I'll be doing 30m sDPS with no bullshit, so that's 15m to bosses factoring for their 100% extra life against a party of 2. Much better than anything I've done so far and it looks like it can actually pan out for once.

As an added bonus they're both no-button builds. Thanks to the goon here who mentioned the "trigger when you focus" helmet that lets me instant-cast all my curses and Frost Bomb, as a Focus key (as with all instant skills) will auto-fire if you put a paperweight on it.

Edit:

Yeah I've got insomnia... wondering if there's any new invincible builds. Does anyone know if I forgot any sources of reduced damage?

Frigid Wake 10% Reduced enemy Damage dealt with hits
Malediction 10% Reduced enemy Damage
Corpse Pact 10% Reduced enemy Damage
Fenumus's Shroud : 10% Reduced enemy Damage
They of Tul "Snow Cloak" skill: 15% reduced damage taken

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 15, 2020

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That isn't going to work because how are you multi box dodging

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Don't need to dodge if you can facetank everything

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Miss Broccoli posted:

That isn't going to work because how are you multi box dodging

I was planning to just facetank everything while the minions are blasting. Nearly capped block, 80% evade chance and blind aura, flat phys reduction from the aurabot, huge regen, 90% res, so on. I'm hoping the 15m effective DPS can just kill anything before anything kills me.

If there's anything that will kill me if I don't get out of the way, then my plan is to die lol. I'm gonna try for the determination Watcher's Eye that lowers crit taken by 50% to minimize the one-shot factor.

Like I've made many guardians with Aegis Aurora that could faetank Sirus and this setup is generally tankier except I have to use large amounts of regen instead of the instant Aegis ES heal. I should be stronger against standing in Dot and weaker against huge spike damage like "die" beams.

Also I die instantly if I let one character run out of range of the other, but giving both Stun/Chill/Freeze immunity and Phasing seems to make them pretty easy to keep together. There's some maps where I have to slow down if I'm running into a lot of corners that make the characters want to split up.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 15, 2020

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Glancing Blows was used a lot in Delirium, before it was put on the tree, on Herald stackers, Archmage Hieros and Tricksters.
In Metamorph it wasn't used a lot, but the meta was different then. Death came from one-shots at the end of a map and avoidance is very bad at dealing with one-shots. In Delirium that meta started to shift and the only real one-shots you'd encounter was pre-nerf Omniphobia taking offense to your existence, while you were always in danger of getting swarmed to death. Avoidance is very good at dealing with that. Also with Delirium Archmage builds became a thing and Archmage builds are giant sacks of HP, without any avoidance or mitigation.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just play 1 build jesus

play a spider build and drop some wrigglers

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I played physical skeletons back in Metmorph and it cool and good and also not super reliant on offerings. Still a goer?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Skeletons got a really big nerf since then, but they were so incredibly overtuned that they're still good. The meta just moved on to newer and shinier things.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Wow, 40% damage nerf seems bad, but looking at my character it's justified:

This was equipped. One my character I played all league and farmed enough for a HH with. And could reliably nuke metamorphs.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
It's been a few leagues since I did a bow build. Has anyone played both bleed bow and poison SA/TR and care to offer some opinions on them as starters intended to scale into endgame? I'm undecided on SSF or trade atm.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Elentor posted:

Wtf is 'alpha' damage.

There is no difference between softcore and hardcore mechanically except permadeath, I don't know what you are conjuring up that would make GB somehow bad except some vague notion that being on softcore means you have to sacrifice defences. Like are you saying that glancing blows is bad on softcore because you might not die on a bossfight sometimes without it (but you will die more while mapping as a result because you don't smooth out the vastly more common tiers of damage)?

Even at 65% damage its situationally very strong.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Elerion posted:

It's been a few leagues since I did a bow build. Has anyone played both bleed bow and poison SA/TR and care to offer some opinions on them as starters intended to scale into endgame? I'm undecided on SSF or trade atm.

I played TR Trickster from league start through A8 Sirus as my first character in Harvest. It's easy to scale since it only really needs gem levels and Chaos DoT Multi/DoT Multi from gear to scale damage (Attack Speed, Effect Duration, and Increased AoE are all good too). Some people have a TR 6-link for bossing and a Caustic Arrow 6-link for clearing, but I used TR for both, and it was fine.

Toxic Rain, both in gearing and in gameplay, feels more like you're a DoT caster that's holding a bow rather than an actual bow user. Bleed bow is also good and will feel more like you are actually shooting things directly (because you are).

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Toxic Rain and poison are two different builds. There's no point in trying to use TR for poison.

Bleed bow is generally the easier starter while SA poison will scale harder. Both have the problem of desperately needing an ilvl83 Elder bow for their endgame damage (SA can theoretically get an early Darkscorn, but lol if you think thats gonna happen). Bleed bow also needs a Lioneye's Fall, but thats farmable very early in A6 Mud Flats, while SA wants a Coralitos, which sadly isn't really farmable.
Once you have a bow the world is your oyster. Both builds can use Divine Flesh very well to get quite tanky (even after the nerf) and kill bosses and clear maps very well.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Alpha damage is instant damage applied at the start of a 'round'. If one enemy deals 10k every 5 seconds and another deals 2k every second, they both do the same dps but the second one has 1/5th the alphastrike and is much easier to handle.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

okay someone lay a league start bane/doom PoB on me, thanks in advance

Basic Bane Occultist outline I'll use: https://pastebin.com/2fDtKMXG

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Imho SA needs an extra projectile somewhere and the helm enchant to feel good on single target

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

I played TR Trickster from league start through A8 Sirus as my first character in Harvest. It's easy to scale since it only really needs gem levels and Chaos DoT Multi/DoT Multi from gear to scale damage (Attack Speed, Effect Duration, and Increased AoE are all good too). Some people have a TR 6-link for bossing and a Caustic Arrow 6-link for clearing, but I used TR for both, and it was fine.

Toxic Rain, both in gearing and in gameplay, feels more like you're a DoT caster that's holding a bow rather than an actual bow user. Bleed bow is also good and will feel more like you are actually shooting things directly (because you are).

I've done Trickster CA/TR and it is an amazing starter, but I have concerns about endgame scaling after the duration nerfs 3.11. I think the impact of those changes were papered over by the absurd gear level everyone had in Harvest. I'm hoping Poison will be better.

Wuxi posted:

Toxic Rain and poison are two different builds. There's no point in trying to use TR for poison.

Bleed bow is generally the easier starter while SA poison will scale harder. Both have the problem of desperately needing an ilvl83 Elder bow for their endgame damage (SA can theoretically get an early Darkscorn, but lol if you think thats gonna happen). Bleed bow also needs a Lioneye's Fall, but thats farmable very early in A6 Mud Flats, while SA wants a Coralitos, which sadly isn't really farmable.
Once you have a bow the world is your oyster. Both builds can use Divine Flesh very well to get quite tanky (even after the nerf) and kill bosses and clear maps very well.

The most popular SA build thread on the forums actually has Toxic Rain as a viable SA alternative for poison all the way into endgame. You build it completely different than DOT TR since you want faster explosions rather than overlapping clouds. That also means it isn't affected by the 3.11 duration nerfs.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2851574/page/102#p23429515

That said, forum guides are notoriously hit and miss, some are just awful.