Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

NtotheTC posted:

and in 2nd Racism news, this article from 2012 has resurfaced today. Looks like Mark Hughes has been benefitting for 8 years by having noone know or care about anything he's written

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It was a different time!

How were people supposed to know that racism was bad 8 years ago? The internet had only been around for 2 decades at that point.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
wait, racism is bad?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Solid British journalism from Britons in Britain. #2ndracism

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Uh people are always saying you have to do a lot of racism to be able to compete in F1.

Race sim? What's that? No I'm pretty sure it's racism.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Sad I missed the era of F1 where drivers spoke in rhyme.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Wow, that article. Reopen gulag and send the author and all the editors that had to approve the article there for 40 years of hard labor. Sack everyone who didn't resign voluntarily from whatever piece of poo poo rag that was published in. Nuke England just to be sure.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
It will probably pain you all to know that Crofty also makes bank on the live talk circuit

Yes, people actually pay decent money to listen to him tell stories about life as a star F1 announcer

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

jazzyhattrick posted:

They're trying to find the next Murray Walker, which is impossible.

Murray shouted a lot and sometimes got the names of the drivers wrong because he was genuinely enthusiastic about the events of the race and often got overexcited, this was endearing.

The series of bloated tossbags we've had since shout all the time and don't even bother to learn the names of most of the drivers because "that's what Murray did, right?", this is not endearing.

murray walker might have been good in 1970 or what the gently caress but his last years were awfl, the dude brain was leaking. sad

best f1 broadcaster team was diego mejias, albert fabregas and giselle zarur

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
On two separate occasions in the last couple of races, Croft has watched a car be overtaken, not noticed and then become excited that the car that has just been passed, on screen, is catching the car ahead.

Probably because he was too busy looking at a bullshit stat sheet so he could prattle on.

Murray's brain farts were nowhere near as frustrating.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ROFLBOT posted:

It will probably pain you all to know that Crofty also makes bank on the live talk circuit

Yes, people actually pay decent money to listen to him tell stories about life as a star F1 announcer

I mean Joes Award has an annual meeting where people voluntarily pay money to go and listen to him talk about whatever poo poo he's made up in his head this year, so it's not surprising.

I nearly went a few years but I just didn't think the payoff about liveposting it in the offseason thread was worth it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Wow, that article. Reopen gulag and send the author and all the editors that had to approve the article there for 40 years of hard labor. Sack everyone who didn't resign voluntarily from whatever piece of poo poo rag that was published in. Nuke England just to be sure.
Compelling arguments here

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT43w0EDBPU

best murray walker moment imo

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

NtotheTC posted:

and in 2nd Racism news, this article from 2012 has resurfaced today. Looks like Mark Hughes has been benefitting for 8 years by having noone know or care about anything he's written

My mans going to recede from this take harder than his hairline

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
This is the same Mark Hughes who used to (still does?) provide 'practice pointers' at the beginning of Sky's free practice coverage so more poo poo to throw on the pile of reasons I am irrationally mad about David Croft.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
He's going to claim 'Stevenage street talk' isn't racially coded, have that bullshit believed, and glide away on a breeze of white privilege

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

NtotheTC posted:

the sound you're hearing is worst thread regs rushing to their keyboards to post hot takes about how this "isn't racism it's about fashion"

Indeed it is:

https://twitter.com/HSouthwellFE/status/1300388830869102592?s=20

Hazel used to be really great. I don't know what happened to her as she seems to have gone very Twitter recently.

The Maltese cross has a long tradition in chopper culture.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
is not a cross, its a poorly drawn clover

Sulman posted:

Hazel used to be really great. I don't know what happened to her as she seems to have gone very Twitter recently.

also f1 doesnt seem right for that person, she should be burning harry potter books or something like that

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://twitter.com/SportmphMark/status/1306590721466540032

lmao what a load of horse poo poo

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone posted:

It was a different time!

How were people supposed to know that racism was bad 8 years ago? The internet had only been around for 2 decades at that point.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
2nd this man's career

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Sulman posted:

Maltese cross isn't flat at the ends. The v at the ends is the signature of the Maltese cross.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
The thread in which we discuss the minute differences and histories of symbols to get to the root of which ones are or aren't 2nd racism

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I get -on a mental level -how people root for Ferrari BUT

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Sulman posted:

she still is but since racing has been cut back she's had to diversify into esports and they demand a certain level of memes in their content in that crowd

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

NtotheTC posted:

What the gently caress. That's up there with the Spanish family doing blackface levels of racism

Kimi also is bad and poo poo.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

Sulman posted:

The Maltese cross and iron cross has been coopted by racist groups for decades (at least in the US). It's usage can easily be interpreted as a dog whistle.

It is in partnership with Jesse James of West Coast Choppers fame, who has had more than a few incidents that lean towards being at least sympathetic to neo-nazis and other racists.

He has also expanded into the firearms business and it is pretty drat hard to find people in that business that are not racist sympathizers, if not outright frothing at the mouth racists. There is a whole thread in TFR about the industry.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

lmao, what the gently caress was the thought process for writing that article.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Twitter replies are the worst

Oh you’ve handled this so well!
Well done!

gently caress off, it was written in 2012 not 1972

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

the corona quid posted:

lmao, what the gently caress was the thought process for writing that article.

Idk but if you look at Hamilton's tweets from 2012 he doesn't write anything like Mark Hughes in that article, so the only logical conclusion is that he is racist in effect not racist in intent whatever the juddering gently caress that means.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Oh and this smarmy redditor oval office can go get hosed for all eternity too:

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/status/1306203774239813637

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/status/1306303403736420354

F1 media needs a loving purge.

ETA - it was only a matter of time lol

https://twitter.com/joesaward/status/1306290712153976833

Theophany fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 17, 2020

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
checks F1 thread for the first time in a few days

oh... oh no.... yikes!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

It's Joe's Award, would it have been possible for the average IQ to go LOWER?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

The only thing Kimi says in the official F1 anti racism montage is 'I stand'

It's almost like Kimi is poo poo

When asked for comment, Kimi passed. For the first time in 4 years.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
formula 1 and soccer are the two sports when i think if the loving moron yapping about it on screen would shut the gently caress up it would improve the experience 12313425%

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Theophany posted:

Idk but if you look at Hamilton's tweets from 2012 he doesn't write anything like Mark Hughes in that article, so the only logical conclusion is that he is racist in effect not racist in intent whatever the juddering gently caress that means.

The thing is, it’s for autosport. If it was for the twee aristocratic readership of Motorsport Magazine, that he writes for now, who all go fox hunting on the weekend and have driving gloves for their Land Rover you could see this as him being an out of touch old white man grasping at relevance he doesn’t understand. But it’s for autosport.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Bill Wuxton doing the whole 'no honestly if you knew the guy you'd know he's cool' bit and then immediately being undermined by running into the full Joe's Award dickhead reality will be eternally funny to me

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I went back to see what his original tweet was and oh dear god he’s not even a terf, just a backward rear end prick stuck in the 1970s

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

the corona quid posted:

The thing is, it’s for autosport. If it was for the twee aristocratic readership of Motorsport Magazine, that he writes for now, who all go fox hunting on the weekend and have driving gloves for their Land Rover you could see this as him being an out of touch old white man grasping at relevance he doesn’t understand. But it’s for autosport.

This made me laugh a lot harder than it should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

track day bro! posted:

For some reason F1 always has to have a non race driver as a commentator tho

If they want a non race driver who is actually passionate about F1 they should just get Kravitz out of the pit lane.