Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

redpleb posted:

I posted the other day about upgrading my pc, I saw that the suggestion was wait for the amd announcement in early october but I saw that the R5 3600 is down to like 199 on amazon. is it really going to get that much cheaper after the announcement?

It's actually gone up, it used to be $160 iirc. That said for your use case it would be an absolutely fine processor.

There's a dedicated monitor megathread for your other questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sextro posted:

Grabbed all of the following at microcenter and am having some issues getting any signal to my display:

Msi Mag b550 tomahawk
Ryzen 3700x with that stock cooler
2x16gb 3200mhz crucial ballistix ram
EVGA rtx 2070 super xc

Thing is, for now the only display I have is an LG oled C7.

So I assembled everything, and it's pretty much problem free. I plug everything in, hit power, get immediate lights, no beeps and the debug LEDs go through what seemed like a sequence then all remained off (good). Only problem is at no point did my display pick up a signal to display even the POST. I went through all the usual troubleshooting, double checked every connection and tried with each stick individually, even flashed the latest bios with the bios flash button. Same outcome. So is there something about a TV that's just not working, or is there something broken and what is it?

Did you hook it up to the ports on the Mobo or the GPU?

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

Sextro posted:

No other monitors to test with. I haven't settled on a model yet and was going to just make do with the tv while I shopped around.

The gpu fans and lights turn on, but the fans spin down pretty quickly.

I’d try removing the sticks of RAM one at a time if you haven’t already - recently had a similar problem with a build and it turns out one of the two sticks of (open box) RAM I had gotten from micro center was fried.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Is there a speaker/PC audio thread? I just realized my Klipsch 2.1 speakers have a bad output on the subwoofer and only one speaker is working, so I'm wondering if another 2.1 set for $100 from Costco is still the best bang for the buck.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Samadhi posted:

Is there a speaker/PC audio thread? I just realized my Klipsch 2.1 speakers have a bad output on the subwoofer and only one speaker is working, so I'm wondering if another 2.1 set for $100 from Costco is still the best bang for the buck.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444077

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Thanks!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Thanks for all the help everyone. I slept on it and decided to try a different HDMI cable, and after trying 4 found one that works. A few more tests show I had 4 bad HDMI cables and there was never anything wrong other than the cables.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

gently caress. Like what is there even to say.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Lamo that has to be someone loving with fake accounts to gently caress the seller.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There are a lot of listings with dozens of bids for thousands of dollars :shrug:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sab669 posted:

There's a sucker born every minute?

In more useful news, pcper has a review up where they tested PCIe 3 vs PCIe 4 on the 3080 and found near-zero difference in any current game. So that continues to hold up. You don't need a new mobo / system with PCIe 4 to get full potential from the cards.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Need some advice for my very specific case!

I'm doing 3d rendering as a hobby and so I'll be getting the RTX 3080. I have an existing system that's 4 years old+ so I figured I'd build something new. I'd like to keep the RAM (2x16gb Corsair Vengeance) and SSD because I got them last year.
What mobo and CPU (and I guess PSU) should I pair it with to avoid any serious bottlenecks?
I live in Greece and other uses for the system would be Photoshop and gaming (secondary). I only have a 60hz monitor right now but plan to upgrade.

If someone can recommend the bare minimum (budget is tight) that'd be cool.

OlMaster
May 12, 2008
So I managed to snag a 3080 (MSI Ventus), should be arriving tomorrow. I'm using a Corsair CX650 650W 80+ Bronze PSU, realistically what are the chances of something going seriously wrong? If it just crashes I can pick up another PSU, but I don't want to risk frying the rest of my components over it. Should I just get a 750w to avoid the risk?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

OlMaster posted:

So I managed to snag a 3080 (MSI Ventus), should be arriving tomorrow. I'm using a Corsair CX650 650W 80+ Bronze PSU, realistically what are the chances of something going seriously wrong? If it just crashes I can pick up another PSU, but I don't want to risk frying the rest of my components over it. Should I just get a 750w to avoid the risk?

If the PSU doesn't have any kind of warranty left I would personally get one that does.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ravenkult posted:

Need some advice for my very specific case!

I'm doing 3d rendering as a hobby and so I'll be getting the RTX 3080. I have an existing system that's 4 years old+ so I figured I'd build something new. I'd like to keep the RAM (2x16gb Corsair Vengeance) and SSD because I got them last year.
What mobo and CPU (and I guess PSU) should I pair it with to avoid any serious bottlenecks?
I live in Greece and other uses for the system would be Photoshop and gaming (secondary). I only have a 60hz monitor right now but plan to upgrade.

If someone can recommend the bare minimum (budget is tight) that'd be cool.

Blender can offload rendering entirely to the GPU, with the only limitation being that your scene has to fit in GPU memory rather than system memory. Which, at the hobby level, sound like something you're not likely to exceed. So in that event your 4 year old system may be perfectly fine for that part.

If you do need CPU-based rendering I think a 3700X is probably the sweet spot, but fitting it on a tight budget may be tough. MSI's MATX B550 motherboards are our general recommendation for AMD mobos now.

As for PSU, there's no greece section for PCpartpicker so I used Italy... is Germany more likely where you'd get prices from? Anyways all of these are good if you have them available:

OlMaster posted:

The CX line has enough protections that the most wrong thing that's likely to happen is the PSU shutting itself down, so I wouldn't worry about frying your system right away.

If the PSU is a bottom mount that pulls air from outside the case, clean your dust filters. If it's getting air from inside the case, make sure you have enough ventilation that it's not eating hot air. Your long-term worry is that the 3080 will work that PSU hard enough to heat it up, so if it's having to deal with bad cooling (dust choked input / 40°C case temp) that will reduce life.

And if it's ~5 years old think about replacing it.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 17, 2020

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Klyith posted:

Blender can offload rendering entirely to the GPU, with the only limitation being that your scene has to fit in GPU memory rather than system memory. Which, at the hobby level, sound like something you're not likely to exceed. So in that event your 4 year old system may be perfectly fine for that part.

If you do need CPU-based rendering I think a 3700X is probably the sweet spot, but fitting it on a tight budget may be tough. MSI's MATX B550 motherboards are our general recommendation for AMD mobos now.

As for PSU, there's no greece section for PCpartpicker so I used Italy... is Germany more likely where you'd get prices from? Anyways all of these are good if you have them available:

Nope, no need for CPU rendering, I just figured I'd get something that wouldn't bottleneck the GPU too bad when I decide to play some games.

I thought the 3080 needs a 750w PSU or is that not true?

I put this together but it's kinda outside my budget but from what I read it seems to be the bare minimum. Unless I go for AMD I guess?

OlMaster
May 12, 2008

Klyith posted:

The CX line has enough protections that the most wrong thing that's likely to happen is the PSU shutting itself down, so I wouldn't worry about frying your system right away.

If the PSU is a bottom mount that pulls air from outside the case, clean your dust filters. If it's getting air from inside the case, make sure you have enough ventilation that it's not eating hot air. Your long-term worry is that the 3080 will work that PSU hard enough to heat it up, so if it's having to deal with bad cooling (dust choked input / 40°C case temp) that will reduce life.

And if it's ~5 years old think about replacing it.

It's less than a year old so hopefully should be fine. Will certainly give it a cleaning though, then maybe look at replacing it in the longer term. Thanks for the advice!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ravenkult posted:

Nope, no need for CPU rendering, I just figured I'd get something that wouldn't bottleneck the GPU too bad when I decide to play some games.

I thought the 3080 needs a 750w PSU or is that not true?

I put this together but it's kinda outside my budget but from what I read it seems to be the bare minimum. Unless I go for AMD I guess?

Go AMD, they are spanking Intel on price/performance now. A 3600 system is ideal if you don't need CPU for renders.

The 3080 says 750W because they have to account for lovely white-box PSUs. A high-quality gold rated 650W that can output the full 650W on 12V is fine -- the 3080 only draws 300-350 watts and the rest of the system is another 150W or less.

120/140mm water coolers are totally worthless, get an air cooler instead. Water coolers are not better than air until you have the 2-fan-size radiators.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

OlMaster posted:

How old is it?

PSU is one of the higher PC failure rate components so if its ready 4-5 years old you can at least figure it doesn't have much left on its life anyway. Its also nice to have the old one lying around because its not always convenient to run to the store.

Typically what I would expect is that if the PSU cant handle it when you fire up a game it will shut off they system abruptly at some point.

If you are running a lower tier CPU like a i5 or R5 then you might not need to upgrade the PSU vs someone with a much bigger cpu like a 32 core monstrosity. The 750watt psu budget NVIDIA is giving us has to cover all CPUs.

If you like overlcocking your CPU then I would def upgrade the PSU.

OlMaster posted:

It's less than a year old so hopefully should be fine. Will certainly give it a cleaning though, then maybe look at replacing it in the longer term. Thanks for the advice!

I would try to keep it then yeah.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 17, 2020

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Klyith posted:

Go AMD, they are spanking Intel on price/performance now. A 3600 system is ideal if you don't need CPU for renders.

The 3080 says 750W because they have to account for lovely white-box PSUs. A high-quality gold rated 650W that can output the full 650W on 12V is fine -- the 3080 only draws 300-350 watts and the rest of the system is another 150W or less.

120/140mm water coolers are totally worthless, get an air cooler instead. Water coolers are not better than air until you have the 2-fan-size radiators.

Okay which water cooler should I get from the m22 line?

Will any Gold rated 650W do from Corsair or Coolermaster?

I've been kinda burned on AMDs from two systems back when I was having compatibility issues with a bunch of games and apps, do I need to worry about that?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Will I have any issue fitting a 3080, and a NH-D15 CPU Cooler in a Phantek p500a together?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ravenkult posted:

I've been kinda burned on AMDs from two systems back when I was having compatibility issues with a bunch of games and apps, do I need to worry about that?

Everything is fine these days.

You should also go air-cooling (not sure why you want water exactly) since it is much cheaper and functionally just as effective unless you are going for hard core OCing, which you shouldn't anyway on AMD since the benefits are limited. The 212 is 35 bucks in the US so I'm guessing similar range in Europe.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

Will I have any issue fitting a 3080, and a NH-D15 CPU Cooler in a Phantek p500a together?

Should fit.

That case can mount GPUs vertically which is what I look for to see if a case is extra wide for a tall CPU cooler.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Everything is fine these days.

You should also go air-cooling (not sure why you want water exactly) since it is much cheaper and functionally just as effective unless you are going for hard core OCing, which you shouldn't anyway on AMD since the benefits are limited. The 212 is 35 bucks in the US so I'm guessing similar range in Europe.

Seconding this.

Water cooling only makes sense if you have a radiator that is larger then a typical good air cooler. Which means you will be paying over +100 which is crazy when you could just buy a better cpu.

The best part about air cooling is you can carry them forward for a long time while pumps kill AIOs.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Cool, you've convinced me.
And for the AMD we're talking about the Ryzen 7 3700x correct? It's 315 euros.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
No for your use case the 3600 will do absolutely fine.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

spunkshui posted:

Seconding this.

Water cooling only makes sense if you have a radiator that is larger then a typical good air cooler. Which means you will be paying over +100 which is crazy when you could just buy a better cpu.

The best part about air cooling is you can carry them forward for a long time while pumps kill AIOs.

Water cooling looks cooler.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ravenkult posted:

Will any Gold rated 650W do from Corsair or Coolermaster?

All of Corsair's gold PSUs (RM, RMX, TXM) are great. Different options, but afaik the 3 models are the same platform inside and the guts are excellent.

Cooler master's MWE Gold is fine, though a step down (5 year warranty while corsair's are 7 or 10, 45C operating spec instead of 50C). If they have other models than the MWE Gold I'm not sure about those.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Water cooling looks cooler.

If you're going nuts with custom tubing and a nice reservoir and stuff, absolutely yes.

Generic AIOs don't look any better than the selection of air coolers that pay more attention to aesthetics.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm considering getting the RTX 3080 (preferably after I get my tax return next spring). What would be the best brand to buy it from? My current GTX 1070 card is a Gigabyte brand, but what real differences would I see in quality support if I were to buy a Zotac/Asus/MSI version instead?

Also woof, canadian prices are steep.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm considering getting the RTX 3080 (preferably after I get my tax return next spring). What would be the best brand to buy it from? My current GTX 1070 card is a Gigabyte brand, but what real differences would I see in quality support if I were to buy a Zotac/Asus/MSI version instead?

Also woof, canadian prices are steep.

I spend the money on EVGA, their customer service has been the best I've ever dealt with in the PC world. Worth the price.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Hey I was just curious if people here had recommendations for a battery-backup power supply that would be suitable for the PC you folks helped me build. I want something that will give me enough time to save my work and shut down during a power outage or whatever.

Also, yeah looks like I'll be aiming for a 3080 for my Blender animation work. :dance:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 17, 2020

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Klyith posted:

All of Corsair's gold PSUs (RM, RMX, TXM) are great. Different options, but afaik the 3 models are the same platform inside and the guts are excellent.

Cooler master's MWE Gold is fine, though a step down (5 year warranty while corsair's are 7 or 10, 45C operating spec instead of 50C). If they have other models than the MWE Gold I'm not sure about those.

If you're going nuts with custom tubing and a nice reservoir and stuff, absolutely yes.

Generic AIOs don't look any better than the selection of air coolers that pay more attention to aesthetics.

Disagree with this mostly just because generic AIO’s allow you to shift the bulky heat sink out of the way and leave the rest of the center of your build more visible.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Important caveat about CX / Bronze 650W PSUs and the 3080, this goes for other people with this level of 650W PSU

OlMaster posted:

So I managed to snag a 3080 (MSI Ventus), should be arriving tomorrow. I'm using a Corsair CX650 650W 80+ Bronze PSU

I've been saying these are ok for a 3080, and that remains true. But leave it stock. I'm seeing reviews of partner boards (ie asus, msi, etc) which have a higher power limit than the founder's edition, those are pulling 400 watts when they push the power slider all the way to the max. Techpowerup got their MSI card up to 425.

This is still under the rated ability of a good 650W, but it's pushing it. Leave the OC alone until you get a better PSU.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 18, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've got a Corsair CX-750M 750W 80 Plus Bronze PSU. Should that be fine for a 3080?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
finally bited the bullet and purchased the xeon from alieexpress. the stock i54430 cooler should work on it right?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've got a Corsair CX-750M 750W 80 Plus Bronze PSU. Should that be fine for a 3080?

Yes, if you can ever get one.

OlMaster
May 12, 2008

Klyith posted:

Important caveat about 650W PSUs and the 3080, this goes for other people with this level of 650W PSU

I've been saying these are ok for a 3080, and that remains true. But leave it stock. I'm seeing reviews of partner boards (ie asus, msi, etc) which have a higher power limit than the founder's edition, those are pulling 400 watts when they push the power slider all the way to the max. Techpowerup got their MSI card up to 425.

This is still under the rated ability of a good 650W, but it's pushing it. Leave the OC alone until you get a better PSU.

Funny you should say this, early reports are saying power limiting a 3080 to 85% only results in 4% performance hit. I may do that at least initially to be on the safe side. I'm upgrading from a 970 so it's a big jump for me whatever.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Klyith posted:

Is this a widely held opinion? I've been Intel-or-bust since the Pentium days but if I'm gonna build an all-new computer, no reason for brand loyalty if AMD is flat better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The past few years yes. The Playstation 5 and new Xbox are both using AMD as well.

Intel's next gen Tiger Lake looks good but it's designed for thin and light laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Is this a widely held opinion? I've been Intel-or-bust since the Pentium days but if I'm gonna build an all-new computer, no reason for brand loyalty if AMD is flat better.

Basically across the entire internet, yes. Intel has the gaming performance crown but its largely a technicality, AMD will max out a 144hz monitor in most cases and hit 120fps when it doesn't, while being markedly cheaper than Intel's offerings.