Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Romulux posted:

Best buy is still releasing some stock, like a half hour ago I almost got to checkout with an MSI Ventus, but it got snatched before i could complete the transaction.

That's been happening to me all day and as far as I'm convinced it's just a cruel joke. Whenever I actually got to the checkout page they told me there were no cards within 250 miles of my location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Romulux posted:

Best buy is still releasing some stock, like a half hour ago I almost got to checkout with an MSI Ventus, but it got snatched before i could complete the transaction.

Is the step-up thing really worth trying? I have a feeling the stock on these is so low you guys are going to be waiting a long time.

I'd be doing it, but the FTW3 is too long for my case. If it was an XC, I'd be all in at this point because gently caress it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Romulux posted:

Best buy is still releasing some stock, like a half hour ago I almost got to checkout with an MSI Ventus, but it got snatched before I could complete the transaction.

Is the step-up thing really worth trying? I have a feeling the stock on these is so low you guys are going to be waiting a long time.

Once you initiate from what I can tell you're okay, you don't have to send the card until they're actually ready for you:

EVGA Forums posted:

1. Once you have submitted your request on the Step-Up page, EVGA will assign you a queue number and also email you confirming that they have received your request.

2. When you reach the front of the queue, (number 0), EVGA will email you about your Step-Up is ready for processing, and will request for you to upload your invoice/receipt of your original product. You can either upload here, or contact EVGA by phone or email if you need help.

3. When EVGA verifies your invoice, they will email you again with your unique RMAID# and ask you to make your payment, via the link inside. You will have 7 days to make the payment before your Step-Up window expires.

4. Once EVGA confirms your payment, you'll receive an email confirming your RMA has been approved, and that you can now ship your original card to them, along with all the accessories originally included in the packaging. You have 14 days to ship your step-up product back to EVGA before the Step-Up expires.

5. When EVGA receives your product, it will take about 1-3 business days for them to process your Step-Up, and prepare to ship out your upgraded model. EVGA must receive your card first before any new product is shipped out.

The waiting in the queue is step 2 and you don't send the card till step 4.

Warmachine posted:

I'd be doing it, but the FTW3 is too long for my case. If it was an XC, I'd be all in at this point because gently caress it.

Newegg says the FTW is 300mm and the XC3 is 285mm. Is it that tight in there?

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

exquisite tea posted:

That's been happening to me all day and as far as I'm convinced it's just a cruel joke. Whenever I actually got to the checkout page they told me there were no cards within 250 miles of my location.

drat, that's cold.

axeil posted:

Once you initiate from what I can tell you're okay, you don't have to send the card until they're actually ready for you:

That's not too bad, and yeah I guess it guarantees you an upgrade, so it's worth it for a lot of people.

I'm just going to keep holding onto the hope that my Adorama backordered card doesn't get cancelled/take months to ship.

Romulux fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 18, 2020

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Romulux posted:

drat, that's cold.

Same thing happened to me about five times this morning.

This morning basically felt like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isqYaFRQaLs

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

axeil posted:

Newegg says the FTW is 300mm and the XC3 is 285mm. Is it that tight in there?

It's an Ncase M1, so yeah.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Warmachine posted:

It's an Ncase M1, so yeah.

Oof. drat. :smith:

Maybe they'll add the XC3 in the coming days? I find it odd they have the most OC'd and :pcgaming: RGB crazy version available for step-up and not the most basic model.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
3080s had a "Buy Now" button again in the nVidia store for a few minutes, but clicking it just brought up that pop-up that does nothing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

3080s had a "Buy Now" button again for a few minutes, but clicking it just brought up that pop-up that does nothing.

I've been getting that on and off for the past two hours. I'm thinking someone missed a load balancer somewhere.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
also re: step-up so long as you register right away you should be fine even if they don't get any 3080s till 2021.

EVGA's site posted:

We have a queue for our Step-Up process so you can keep your current EVGA product until we have your new product ready and waiting for you in our warehouse. Sometimes, very high demand will necessitate a longer than usual queue, but once you have made your request and you are in queue the 90 day limit no longer applies - you are considered in the Step-Up process.

If you are still within the 90 days from your original purchase, you can cancel your Step-Up and start a new process yourself. If you are out of the 90 days from your original purchase and you leave the queue, you will not be allowed to start a new Step-Up.

This seems like the way to go if you don't want to f5 sites constantly trying to snipe a 3080 from now till the end of the year.

2070 is still a big upgrade for me so I'm happy to use it while I wait for the 3080.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Vir posted:

You just have to register for the step-up program within 14 days of your original purchase. More details here: https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Not quite. You need to register with EVGA for the card's 3 year warranty within 14 days.

Then you need to register for the step up program within the 90s days of purchase.

In other words, you have the full 90 days to sign up for the step up program as long as you remember to first register for EVGA's warranty within the first 14 days.

mA fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 18, 2020

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The Rat posted:

Same thing happened to me about five times this morning.

This morning basically felt like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isqYaFRQaLs

The video description is creepy AF

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Rabid Snake posted:

The video description is creepy AF

lmao poo poo I didn't even notice that

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

axeil posted:

also re: step-up so long as you register right away you should be fine even if they don't get any 3080s till 2021.

This seems like the way to go if you don't want to f5 sites constantly trying to snipe a 3080 from now till the end of the year.

2070 is still a big upgrade for me so I'm happy to use it while I wait for the 3080.

I think I'd be more interested if I didn't have to send them the card and wait for the new one to arrive. I don't know how long that typically takes, but going without my PC for that long would be annoying.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Hardware Jesus is overclocking some 3080s. He starts with the TUF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72sqldnvmpk

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think I'd be more interested if I didn't have to send them the card and wait for the new one to arrive. I don't know how long that typically takes, but going without my PC for that long would be annoying.

As detailed above, you can keep your card until they have your card ready to send to you, so you'll only be without a GPU during cross-shipping, if we understand correctly. You won't have to be GPU-less until November.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yeah, okay.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The only other thing I can think of for the 300-ish "phantom cards" showing up in ~the system~ is that they're an allocation set aside for OEM/Boutique Builders/Streamers/sponsored E-Sports teams/etc.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
They should have delayed the launch, I cannot believe nVidia did not know the kind of situation that was building up. I also hope they can ramp up production in a significant way or else we're going to sit here like this for half a loving year lmao.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Apparently Nvidia uses Digital River to power their storefront which has a checkout API, so once the item code was leaked, bots were able to submit their orders directly into the API even before the actual store page was ever updated. Anyone pressing F5 on the website had no hope of getting an order in.

:lol: that Nvidia makes the most advanced deep learning and artificial intelligence machinery on the planet but can't stop a bunch of bots from buying up all their inventory on their website.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

NoDamage posted:

Apparently Nvidia uses Digital River to power their storefront which has a checkout API, so once the item code was leaked, bots were able to submit their orders directly into the API even before the actual store page was ever updated. Anyone pressing F5 on the website had no hope of getting an order in.

:lol: that Nvidia makes the most advanced deep learning and artificial intelligence machinery on the planet but can't stop a bunch of bots from buying up all their inventory on their website.

Cite your sources because this is amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NoDamage posted:

loving lol

That is amazing.

They do use DR so I can 100% believe this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheCoach posted:

They should have delayed the launch, I cannot believe nVidia did not know the kind of situation that was building up. I also hope they can ramp up production in a significant way or else we're going to sit here like this for half a loving year lmao.

Of course they knew. It wouldn't shock me in the slightest if there aren't more than maybe 200 3090s for the entire loving world. The 3070 launch will likely be even worse because this time around the 3080 is the better 'value' even though it costs more, so there'll be more of an incentive to prioritize binning/making 3080 cores over 3070 cores.

And there's also the fact that it's a not-very-well-kept-secret that Ampere's been ready for a *while* and likely could've supplanted Turing entirely with another 6-8 months of lead time, but it was easier (and probably wildly more lucrative) to put out the 2xxx series so we could 'beta test' DLSS and RTX for them on glorified prototype hardware.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Vir posted:

As detailed above, you can keep your card until they have your card ready to send to you, so you'll only be without a GPU during cross-shipping, if we understand correctly. You won't have to be GPU-less until November.

the only thing is it isn't cross-shipping so it might be a week or so.

this is why i keep a spare crappy gpu as a backup. i'll finally sell my rx 480 during all this and place the rx 580 in backup territory.

NoDamage posted:

this is hilarious, although i doubt nvidia really cares that much about all this. it just means people really want their card and if you get pissed and you want 3080-tier performance what are you gonna do, buy AMD? :laffo:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol wonder what people are going to do if they can't get a card by the CP2077 release

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yeah, okay.

Holy poo poo I'm seeing a way to save $15 there, jump on it!

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

shrike82 posted:

lol wonder what people are going to do if they can't get a card by the CP2077 release

get that poo poo on sale instead

edit: and play it on their sweet new radeon card gently caress you jensen gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

3DMark on sale for $5 if you don't have it yet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

shrike82 posted:

For some reason I'm envisioning someone taking hostages in a Best Buy and screaming for a 3080 instead of the cliched "ten million dollars and a helicopter!"

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Will EVGA have 3090s next week? Looking if there is a general idea what sites besides nvidia and general retail stores to check next week

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

some of the anecdotes are nuts - a podunk Australian retailer supposedly took 5000 3080 preorders on launch day and they're domestic only

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

doomisland posted:

Will EVGA have 3090s next week? Looking if there is a general idea what sites besides nvidia and general retail stores to check next week

I'm sure they'll have at least one of each SKU, at the very least.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

According to gamers nexus live stream right now, he says there was “a good amount of inventory”.

If true and they were just picked clean by scalpers that’s absolutely an enormous fuckup

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Hey Scan.co.uk, what, uh, does the order status "AWAITING PICKING" mean? loving Brexit now the graphics cards are going to die on the vine.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kingnothing posted:

According to gamers nexus live stream right now, he says there was “a good amount of inventory”.

If true and they were just picked clean by scalpers that’s absolutely an enormous fuckup

And certainly something they could remedy by looking for large quantity orders and voiding them, but they've got a $40 billion credit card bill coming up so I doubt they really give the least amount of a gently caress.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 18, 2020

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Kingnothing posted:

that would make so much more sense than them thinking launching with inventory this low was a good idea

still, completely loving bonkers that there was absolutely no countermeasures

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For some reason I'm envisioning someone taking hostages in a Best Buy and screaming for a 3080 instead of the cliched "ten million dollars and a helicopter!"

I mean...

Zero VGS posted:

lol my local store had a fistfight break out, also one dude sat in the middle of the aisle and said he wasn't leaving until he got a 3080 so the cops came and dragged him away

gamers rise up

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm skeptical that there was inventory - there aren't that many scalped units available online

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shogunner posted:

that would make so much more sense than them thinking launching with inventory this low was a good idea

still, completely loving bonkers that there was absolutely no countermeasures

too busy adding the authentic jensen jacket scent to the boxes to think about bots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

shrike82 posted:

i'm skeptical that there was inventory - there aren't that many scalped units available online

Why immediately put them up when 1) there's organized anti-scalper activity at the moment, and 2) you can let the impatient assholes do your market research for you.