Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

I did not expect controllers to go out of stock this fast, are the scalpers buying those too, hardly seems worth it.

That is so weird cause the DualSense controller is still readily available, but maybe its because everyone knows the xbox controllers will also have perfect windows 10 support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

since I failed to get a preorder myself I can confidently say that the first 100k units will have had some critical chip soldered in backwards and not work. Owned preordailures :grin:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its been a few years since thats been true, even a switch controller works perfectly at this point for pc games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stux posted:

its been a few years since thats been true, even a switch controller works perfectly at this point for pc games

I am clearly behind on this stuff! Wasn't aware that controller can be used for PC gaming, that is good to know because I never use my Switch Pro controller.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I said come in! posted:

That is so weird cause the DualSense controller is still readily available, but maybe its because everyone knows the xbox controllers will also have perfect windows 10 support?

Probably just because the amount of stock ms made available is extremely low

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I am clearly behind on this stuff! Wasn't aware that controller can be used for PC gaming, that is good to know because I never use my Switch Pro controller.

yeah most games now will just straight detect directinput pads again, and for those that dont steams controller stuff is so insanely good itll happily let you use even some $5 garbage pad without issue.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
MS website was a slog but I grabbed a Series S. Same as everyone else, took forever to do things then complained about addresses.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I said come in! posted:

They work but not as seamlessly as Xbox controllers, likewise the DS4 controller has native Steam support but for non-Steam games you want a program called DS4Windows that tricks Windows into thinking the DS4 is an Xbox controller.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Wheeee posted:

They work but not as seamlessly as Xbox controllers, likewise the DS4 controller has native Steam support but for non-Steam games you want a program called DS4Windows that tricks Windows into thinking the DS4 is an Xbox controller.

you can just run everything through steams controller layer, its better than ds4windows ever was anyway

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

ok now how much trouble will it be to find a ps5

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

sudo rm -rf posted:

they're like 600 feet tall you can't miss em :imunfunny:

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

sudo rm -rf posted:

ps5, xboxx, 3xxx geforce series == things highly desirable to people who still have money in a pandemic lockdown,. also things whose production was heavily disrupted.... by covid

i think it will be easy to get all these things by feb/march but I am not making any guesses beyond that

FWIW, MS rep I chatted with said to try MS and retailer pages again on 11/10, launch date. But, if PNY really ships me my 3080 via Dell before then as "promised".... will I want an xbox? Probably not.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Wheeee posted:

Heavy DS4 on PC user here:

Many games have native DS4 support as well. The downside though is that you don't get rumble or headphone support over bluetooth in native DS4 support, you have to use wired - or the Sony DS4 wireless adapter, which isn't sold anymore. The DS4 is relatively well supported on PC games overall, there are even several DS4 button prompt mods for older games that don't have them.

You're right though in that it's an additional hassle factor, switching between Steam support, DS4 Windows (there's a few games where Steam emulation doesn't work or works improperly which DS4 fixes), wired/wireless can be a nuisance. I generally like it for the additional commands I can map to the touchpad.

For people who just 'want a gamepad on a PC', overall I say just get the Xbone controller. Very sturdy, works with everything, no hassle. Get the wireless adapter though, bluetooth can be weird with it.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I had one in Best Buy cart for a while, it just wouldn't let me check out. Now it's saying they are out of stock.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

Before November 12? Not happening. But after that, it remains to be seen.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Well, stock seems to have come back into the UK Microsoft Store after being out of stock most of the day. Managed to pre-order the Series X :)

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Did anyone actually manage to get one through all access?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
After a couple tries the Microsoft Store went through with an S preorder. It just took forever for the page elements to load for address and payment info. (Use a real card, paypal restarts the address entry.)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Heavy DS4 on PC user here:

Many games have native DS4 support as well. The downside though is that you don't get rumble or headphone support over bluetooth in native DS4 support, you have to use wired - or the Sony DS4 wireless adapter, which isn't sold anymore. The DS4 is relatively well supported on PC games overall, there are even several DS4 button prompt mods for older games that don't have them.

You're right though in that it's an additional hassle factor, switching between Steam support, DS4 Windows (there's a few games where Steam emulation doesn't work or works improperly which DS4 fixes), wired/wireless can be a nuisance. I generally like it for the additional commands I can map to the touchpad.

For people who just 'want a gamepad on a PC', overall I say just get the Xbone controller. Very sturdy, works with everything, no hassle. Get the wireless adapter though, bluetooth can be weird with it.

xbone pad still has a poor dpad and stick drift issues so i can never recommend it over something that wont break itself

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Microsoft store is still not accepting my payment methods after spamming refresh for about an hour, I’ve tried a debit card, a credit card, and my PayPal account. Looks like everything else is out of stock at this point

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
2020: the year we sacrificed our grandparents to reboot the economy but still couldn't buy xboxes

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Microsoft store is still not accepting my payment methods after spamming refresh for about an hour, I’ve tried a debit card, a credit card, and my PayPal account. Looks like everything else is out of stock at this point

MS is showing out of stock too now, on both the normal order page and all access page

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Stux posted:

xbone pad still has a poor dpad and stick drift issues so i can never recommend it over something that wont break itself
what do you consider a good dpad? the switch pro controller is decent but i remember having some problems with the up direction? the xbox one is good and i don't have any complaints, used it to beat cuphead and bloodstained. the playstation dpad is the absolute worst and i've hated it since the ps1. why is it split up? how is it simultaneously mushy and rigid? casting spells in SoTN was a no go on that, but i can do it just fine on the xbox dpad

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

sudo rm -rf posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1307364082341740544?s=19

Who know how well this will go but keep your eye out I guess.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

2020: the year we sacrificed our grandparents to reboot the economy but still couldn't buy xboxes

MS is showing out of stock too now, on both the normal order page and all access page

Oh well, I secured a PS5 from Sony, MS can gobble my hairy taint

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1307364082341740544?s=19

Who know how well this will go but keep your eye out I guess.

Its a poo poo show as far as I can tell. Still no pre orders since that tweet was made.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

butt dickus posted:

what do you consider a good dpad? the switch pro controller is decent but i remember having some problems with the up direction? the xbox one is good and i don't have any complaints, used it to beat cuphead and bloodstained. the playstation dpad is the absolute worst and i've hated it since the ps1. why is it split up? how is it simultaneously mushy and rigid? casting spells in SoTN was a no go on that, but i can do it just fine on the xbox dpad

the dpad on my switch lite is good, the ds4 dpad is good, both have very clear directional control without any bleed and feel nice to press under thumb. extra points to ds4 dpad being in the correct position so in games like cod or dark souls i can bring my finger over from the shoulder to hit it to killstreak/change items without having to take my thumb off of the stick.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

Did anyone actually manage to get one through all access?

I did. I haven't gotten an email from CitizenOne to set up my account, though everything is showing up on the Walmart page. I assume everything is fine and it is just the servers being on fire.

Somehow I ended up getting both consoles from Walmart, a place I haven't ordered anything from since 2008.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Stux posted:

the dpad on my switch lite is good, the ds4 dpad is good, both have very clear directional control without any bleed and feel nice to press under thumb. extra points to ds4 dpad being in the correct position so in games like cod or dark souls i can bring my finger over from the shoulder to hit it to killstreak/change items without having to take my thumb off of the stick.
lmao "this awful dpad in the worst position is actually good because that means i can use the wrong finger to push it"

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I've have issues with the Dual Shock 4 and build quality, battery life, etc., but I think this generation has been the best across the board for controllers. All three are great.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

butt dickus posted:

lmao "this awful dpad in the worst position is actually good because that means i can use the wrong finger to push it"

the dpad is good op

being able to switch items in dark souls without having to stop and stand still is really good sorry

symmetrical sticks are the best position as well for me, having my thumbs lined up for 90% of games is "molto benne" but i didnt say that as a positive earlier bcos i know other people prefer the other layout :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zerot posted:

I've have issues with the Dual Shock 4 and build quality, battery life, etc., but I think this generation has been the best across the board for controllers. All three are great.

idk the xbone pad and the joycons both destroy their analog sticks, ds4 has bad battery but it doesnt break. switch procon seems good too.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

https://www.game.co.uk/en/m/xbox-series-x-2831406

Game in the U.K. still have the X available apparently.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

https://www.game.co.uk/en/m/xbox-series-x-2831406

Game in the U.K. still have the X available apparently.

holy poo poo I didn't realise game still existed, they all closed in Ireland years ago

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Dehry posted:

After a couple tries the Microsoft Store went through with an S preorder. It just took forever for the page elements to load for address and payment info. (Use a real card, paypal restarts the address entry.)

That's odd, as I used PayPal on my order and it went through fine, well I say fine the basket timed out a few times before it would accept my order.

My confirmation email confirms that the address is correct as well, so no issues! :)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Stux posted:

idk the xbone pad and the joycons both destroy their analog sticks, ds4 has bad battery but it doesnt break. switch procon seems good too.
the joycons are bad and imo the switch is nearly unplayable without the pro controller. i haven't had any issues with the reliability on any of my controllers on the 3 platforms. the ds4's dpad has greatly frustrated me in tetris effect because it's so goddamn mushy

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Controllers seem to be easy to find still. Best Buy and MS's own store have them up.

Interestingly, it looks like BB is offering $10 off on extra controllers if you buy it with a console.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
microsoft might have bought sega
https://twitter.com/hobby_consolas/status/1308387218432708610

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

I think it's more likely going to be a Sega-Game Pass collaboration if anything, not an acquisition but hey, anything can happen I suppose.

Zerot fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 22, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

gently caress making a console just buy every third party and have a monopoly on AAA games

Wasn't there some rumor that xbox was going to rebrand in Japan as a Sega console?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Euphoriaphone posted:

Controllers seem to be easy to find still. Best Buy and MS's own store have them up.

Interestingly, it looks like BB is offering $10 off on extra controllers if you buy it with a console.

They were all sold out an hour ago but they're available again, picked a carbon-black one up.