Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bony tony posted:

Similarly, Butcher Pete is about fuckin

In that case, he hosed a ship apart. Who needs that kind of knob ruckus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Phy posted:

When I lived farther north than I do now, we'd put tinfoil on our windows in the summer to completely block out the sun. Gotta sleep somehow.

When I was in high school, my family took a vacation to Alaska one summer. All the hotels and whatnot we stayed at had blackout curtains in the rooms. Draw them at night, and BOOM pitch black while you sleep. It was really bizarre walking around Anchorage, suddenly realizing "Gee I'm really tired, I wonder what time it is. Holy poo poo it's 10pm!" It was still broad daylight.

Strange place.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In Among Us the vents aren't a single hiding spot, you can move through areas by clicking the arrows that pop up.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Phy posted:

When I lived farther north than I do now, we'd put tinfoil on our windows in the summer to completely block out the sun. Gotta sleep somehow.

It’s not just a northern thing, but a pretty common old option for room darkening anywhere. I live in Florida and my dad did that for a while when I was a kid and he was working overnights.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’ve never understood people who enjoy daylight savings time sun. I do not need it to be still just “dusk” at 10pm

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't understand people who like the sun, I am a goon however

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Night people are just better

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the only time ive had an opinion on DST is one time in idk 2005 where i was trying to take money out of an atm during the phantom hour and it was offline

might have just been offline for regular reasons

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’ve never understood people who enjoy daylight savings time sun. I do not need it to be still just “dusk” at 10pm

Where is it still dusk or any kind of light at 10pm aside from like Alaska or places similarly far north/south?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

No advanced technology works during the phantom hour, it is the price we have accepted as a society for shunning the sequence of time mandated by the old gods

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fartknocker posted:

Where is it still dusk or any kind of light at 10pm aside from like Alaska or places similarly far north/south?

Anywhere towards the western edge of their time zone.

I pity the spanish.

E: iirc studies have shown that spaniards (CET)and icelanders (GMT) actually suffer deleterious health effects from their absurd time zones because of the disconnect between the day-night cycle our body responds to and the hours on the clock that dictate modern life.

E2: like it’s super obvious going from back home in far west Texas to Pensacola where my ex lived. My hometown is close enough to mountain time that you could measure the distance in school buses whereas Pensacola is on the far eastern edge of central time. The sun rises and sets earlier enough that it feels like the DST switch.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Sep 22, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The obvious solution is to go back to solar time which is now feasible with the amount of time measurement digital systems that could handle the as you move around slightly. Just schedule your teleconferences in like Swatch Internet Time and you'll be good.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

fartknocker posted:

Well, where I live isn't so far north as to require tinfoil curtains any more, but it does stay bright out until 10ish (11ish with DST) for a few weeks in June. (Not coincidentally my favorite time of the year.) And London's at about the same latitude, so there, too? Weather notwithstanding of course.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Captain Hygiene posted:

No advanced technology works during the phantom hour, it is the price we have accepted as a society for shunning the sequence of time mandated by the old gods
all crime is legal during the phantom hour

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

bony tony posted:

Similarly, Butcher Pete is about fuckin
I honestly go back and forth on whether he is loving, serial killing, or both.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I honestly go back and forth on whether he is loving, serial killing, or both.

It's a song about a serial killer, about loving.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

OK hit me. I am ready for my new thing I can't believe I just figured out: what's the phantom hour? Is it like the witching hour?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Carthag Tuek posted:

the only time ive had an opinion on DST is one time in idk 2005 where i was trying to take money out of an atm during the phantom hour and it was offline

might have just been offline for regular reasons

I was working a midnight shift through it once. I got to watch time tick backwards and extend my shift an hour and it was dreadful. I've been angry about DST ever since

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

OK hit me. I am ready for my new thing I can't believe I just figured out: what's the phantom hour? Is it like the witching hour?

From context I assume it's the hour we have twice because of Daylight Savings.

Or the hour we skip.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

I was working a midnight shift through it once. I got to watch time tick backwards and extend my shift an hour and it was dreadful. I've been angry about DST ever since

I was on a call with a commercial ambulance service where the dispatch system would automatically fill out the current time on our electronic paperwork and it wouldn’t let me actually save it with the times out of order, but I wasn’t able to manually edit the times. It was obnoxious, billing was sending me emails about it for weeks even though I couldn’t do anything about it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

zedprime posted:

The obvious solution is to go back to solar time which is now feasible with the amount of time measurement digital systems that could handle the as you move around slightly. Just schedule your teleconferences in like Swatch Internet Time and you'll be good.

GPS satellites are going to start falling out of the sky in horror at this suggestion

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

South Australia uses a .30 timezone instead of a full hour because Adelaide is on the eastern edge of their timezone. Also Broken Hill which is in NSW but is close to the SA border uses SA time.
The area around Eucla in Western Australia has it's own .45 timezone too as it's in the far east of the state.

Helith has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Sep 23, 2020

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Silver Falcon posted:

It's the time where most of humanity is locked into coffins, but we're unaware of that, so it's okay.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

zedprime posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time

quote:

Instead of hours and minutes, the mean solar day is divided into 1000 parts
Yeah, ok, a bit weird but might work...

quote:

called ".beats".

quote:

Swatch Internet Time became the official time system for Nation1, an online country (supposedly) created and run by children.

quote:

Nation.1 was a project to create what was described as an "online country" – that is, a conceptual country based on the Internet. It was to be owned, populated and governed by the children of the world. Its borders were defined by the age of its citizens, as opposed to geography or ethnicity. The central goal of Nation.1 was to empower young people with a voice and representation in world affairs.

:stare: ...the gently caress is this nonsense? Did anyone actually ever go for all this terrible marketing crap?

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Sep 23, 2020

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
That's from 1998. The internet was still a place of myth and magic.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
The .beats concept was always neat but someone here on SA recently pointed out a very obvious flaw which had somehow never even occurred to me which is that even with a common time-keeping standard you'd still need to know what time of day '.0375' was in other peoples' locations if you wanted to not schedule things for four in the morning their time. All you'd solve is the confusion over stupid cutesy time zone names like the US uses which you could already do by just referring to them relative to GMT.

Snackula has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Sep 23, 2020

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snackula posted:

The .beats concept was always neat but someone here on SA recently pointed out a very obvious flawwhich had somehow never even occurred to me which is that even with a common time-keeping standard you'd still need to know what time of day '.0375' was in other peoples' locations if you wanted to not schedule things for four in the morning their time. All you'd solve is the confusion over stupid cutesy time zone names like the US uses which you could already do by just referring to them relative to GMT.

Yeah. So really, if anything, we need more time zones, so that noon is when the sun's overhead wherever you are.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah. So really, if anything, we need more time zones, so that noon is when the sun's overhead wherever you are.

Which is what used to happen until it became a nightmare trying to organise anything in different towns. The spur for standardised time in the UK was due to the expansion of railways and the need to have timetables for them which were consistent in the place the journey started and ended.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Helith posted:

Which is what used to happen until it became a nightmare trying to organise anything in different towns. The spur for standardised time in the UK was due to the expansion of railways and the need to have timetables for them which were consistent in the place the journey started and ended.

Huh. That's really interesting! Makes sense.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

rydiafan posted:

From context I assume it's the hour we have twice because of Daylight Savings.

Or the hour we skip.

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks. I grew up in the one state in my country that doesn't do Daylight Savings (Arizona), so I don't often think of the broader implications, even though I'm fairly used to changing the clock by now.

I still think DST is loving stupid and should be abolished.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Silver Falcon posted:

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks. I grew up in the one state in my country that doesn't do Daylight Savings (Arizona), so I don't often think of the broader implications, even though I'm fairly used to changing the clock by now.

I still think DST is loving stupid and should be abolished.

Yeah, with my question before I hadn’t even thought about people on the edges of a time zone where the day light hours might be even more odd, I was purely thinking north/south stuff.

I’m the opposite and hate standard time. I’m right in the middle of the Eastern time zone in Florida, so during DST in the summer it’ll stay light out till 7:30ish, compared to like 5:30 during standard time. My preference is I’d rather it be lighter later in the evening than earlier in the morning, as much due to weather stuff as for the actual light out.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I must have listened to the George Carlin album "Class Clown' about 20 times in my life. I never understood the line "you have to be a bit maso for that anyway" when Carlin's talking about class clowns making noise by knocking on their head. I always thought it was 'mazzo' and was some antiquated slang for 'crazy'. I listened to it today for the first time in like 10 years and it hits me that it's short for 'masochist'.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

That reminds me, I heard Nirvana's Lithium in the car the other day and remembered a lyric I massively misunderstood as a British teenager when I first heard it.

So the lyric is: "I'm so horny, that's ok, my will is good"

What I heard is: "I'm so horny, that's ok, my willy's good" because willy is British slang for penis, and I just thought that was what Kurt meant, that he was great at sex and had a great willy.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, with my question before I hadn’t even thought about people on the edges of a time zone where the day light hours might be even more odd, I was purely thinking north/south stuff.

I’m the opposite and hate standard time. I’m right in the middle of the Eastern time zone in Florida, so during DST in the summer it’ll stay light out till 7:30ish, compared to like 5:30 during standard time. My preference is I’d rather it be lighter later in the evening than earlier in the morning, as much due to weather stuff as for the actual light out.

Compromise: just make DST the new standard time and stop changing the clocks twice a year. BOOM.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Silver Falcon posted:

Compromise: just make DST the new standard time and stop changing the clocks twice a year. BOOM.

Please for the love of god no

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Newfoundland time is best

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Newfoundland time is best

Much like Newfoundland climate

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hyperlynx posted:

There are no time zones, only the time continuum

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Captain Hygiene posted:

There are no time zones, only the time continuum

There is only TIMECUBE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Keep the one that makes it so it's not dark when I finish work at 4 in the winters.