Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

azflyboy posted:

Do they not have to pay some kind of minimum guarantee if it's their fault you went unqualified?

Eskimo just furloughed a bunch of flight attendants for a whopping four days, since that lets them ignore pesky union contracts, although there are quite a few actual furloughs too.

Almost all of those BS furloughs were from LAX and SFO (the junior bases), since someone in the legal department realized that furloughing people and immediately bringing them back means the airline doesn't have to comply with the normal rules about base transfers or pay anything for relocation, so it's nice to see that even in the middle of a pandemic, airline management are still raging assholes.

LAX and SFO? How many of these are ex-Redwood getting the shaft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
From the people I've talked to, the furloughs only seem to go back around two years, so people with Redwood before the merger are probably okay, since they don't seem to be shutting down bases yet.

That entire merger has been a clusterfuck. When they bought Redwood, Eskimo was insisting this meant they were going to be a big national airline, which fell apart when they realized no one outside of the PNW knew who the gently caress they were, so they shut down the JFK base.

The business model then became "Okay, we're gonna take over California now!", which fell apart when they realized that United and Southwest exist, were already well established there, and had way more resources to sustain a fare war in the state.

Before the pandemic, the business model had shifted to "Make everyone connect through SEA to go anywhere", so Eskimo basically spent $2.6 billion for a few gates in SFO and an Airbus fleet they don't really want.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is there an actual reason commercial pilots never use the real names of companies despite everyone knowing exactly who is meant with the nicknames?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Don't gently caress with my glamorous mystique, man

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

hobbesmaster posted:

Is there an actual reason commercial pilots never use the real names of companies despite everyone knowing exactly who is meant with the nicknames?

dude same

the amount of effort it takes me to read these as a non-airline pilot is exhausting

but apparently the paranoia is real and people think they can hide behind their thinly veiled nicknames that provide as much protection as crotchless underwear.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CMH is my semi local airport and, as excited as I am to have Alaska in town, Seattle sucks as a connecting hub unless I'm going to Canada or Alaska. Plus, I looked at booking a trip to Seattle and was given the choice of the non-stop option or flying into Paine double connecting through, ironically enough, Seattle and some other West Coast City. :wtc:

Captain Apollo posted:

dude same

the amount of effort it takes me to read these as a non-airline pilot is exhausting

but apparently the paranoia is real and people think they can hide behind their thinly veiled nicknames that provide as much protection as crotchless underwear.

I just thought it was a running gag in the thread, to be honest.

Eskimo- Alaska (tail logo), Redwood- Virgin America (Redwood was their radio callsign, a nod to the trees with the same name in the Bay Area).

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 23, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you get the same poo poo on motorcycle forums where people always write SWIM ("someone who isn't me") instead of "I" whenever they talk about illegally removing their emissions equipment or whatever because it's like a magic spell that protects you from prosecution, man

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

you get the same poo poo on motorcycle forums where people always write SWIM ("someone who isn't me") instead of "I" whenever they talk about illegally removing their emissions equipment or whatever because it's like a magic spell that protects you from prosecution, man

I mean you could be talking about a friend or hypothetically.

Meanwhile there is exactly one airline with a native Alaskan painted on their plane.

I kind of get callsigns. Some are cooler* and you probably hear the call sign more than the airline name.

*speed bird is the best

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Oh no nerds on a nerd website are talking like nerds. I hope the cool guys will still respect us in the morning

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

CMH is my semi local airport and, as excited as I am to have Alaska in town, Seattle sucks as a connecting hub unless I'm going to Canada or Alaska. Plus, I looked at booking a trip to Seattle and was given the choice of the non-stop option or flying into Paine double connecting through, ironically enough, Seattle and some other West Coast City. :wtc:

I just thought it was a running gag in the thread, to be honest.

Eskimo- Alaska (tail logo), Redwood- Virgin America (Redwood was their radio callsign, a nod to the trees with the same name in the Bay Area).

I still maintain that they hosed up by not calling the merged airline Frozen Virgin.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

Oh no nerds on a nerd website are talking like nerds. I hope the cool guys will still respect us in the morning

Its far worse, they talk like this in real life

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

*speed bird is the best

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

and the accent when they say it :swoon:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“Speedbird one” should not be allowed to be used by a subsonic aircraft though. :colbert:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Two Kings posted:

Is that crap TA from United have any chance of passing?

I don't think it's crap at all, honestly, in this environment. It costs the company more money than straight furloughing and in exchange they get some flexibility and we stave off furloughs for awhile yet and get 5%, first class deadheading which we've been trying to get back for 20 years, top 20% of reserves can build any legal schedule they want guaranteed, and the vast majority of the displacements cancelled along with scope choke. Senior guys give up a day trip a month, middle gives up a 2 day a month, but rates are the same, it's just less work and more time off.
The ewwww part is for us bottom guys to get 37 hrs, but hey, 37 hrs at UA rates and a part time job is still better than 0 hours, particularly in this jobs environment.
It'll be an amazing display of unionism and brotherhood if it passes, but I'm not holding my breath. Too much distrust of management and pain from previous furloughs/stolen pensions etc.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

“Screamer sixty-nine” remains the best civilian callsign I’ve ever personally witnessed.

A solid stream of B-2s “DEATH1 through DEATH17” is probably the all time best.

(I can’t remember how many, but it was more than half of the entire inventory.)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Virgin America (Redwood was their radio callsign, a nod to the trees with the same name in the Bay Area).

Virgin, a company started by a guy who wrote a book titled "Screw It, Let's Do It," did not use the callsign red wood because of the trees in the bay area.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Virgin, a company started by a guy who wrote a book titled "Screw It, Let's Do It," did not use the callsign red wood because of the trees in the bay area.

Oh, word?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Passed CPL(H) written exam today...one step closer...

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
All our reservist pilots at our squadron are airline pilots for the most part. Some of them working, some not. Gave one some annual checks today. Got to hear all about how great Trump is and how all rioters deserve to be shot. Feel like I got the airline FO experience and I was the the PIC!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
a lot of people who obey rules for a living have a fascist bent, whodathunkit

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Bob A Feet posted:

All our reservist pilots at our squadron are airline pilots for the most part. Some of them working, some not. Gave one some annual checks today. Got to hear all about how great Trump is and how all rioters deserve to be shot. Feel like I got the airline FO experience and I was the the PIC!

The real FO experience is flying with guys like that for 4 days in a row. Then resisting the urge to open a flight deck window at FL380 when they start bitching about how they're going to be displaced into the job you're about to be furloughed from.

P.S. If anyone sees an expressjet guy/gal this week remember to buy them a beer/coffee.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Captain: Did you put your bid in?

Me: For what? The paint department at Home Depot?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

When you're trapped in a confined area with a shithead boomer the best strategy is to just pretend they said something else you'd prefer to talk about and engage with that imaginary partner instead. They will get confused and annoyed and assume you have some sort of disability, and then they will leave you alone.

For example:

Boomer: "Can you believe these goddamn protestors? I hope they all get shot!"
Response: "Yeah I don't really see how Monty's plan could have ever worked, the fact of the matter was there were just too many Panzer Grenadiers in the region and it was just too many miles behind enemy lines. The limited capabilities of paratroopers were not honestly acknowledged and the plan was just too optimistic to capture all the bridges."

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yesterday a boomer pilot told me our taxes are all going towards defunding the police.

Dude you have lives relying on that brain.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

What does the yellow background around my heading on the hsi and ai indicate?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Captain Apollo posted:

From the manual:

If the G5 senses that the magnetic heading measurement is valid but possibly outside of the internal accuracy limits, the numeric heading is displayed in yellow.

gently caress knows what that means in practice.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

Yesterday a boomer pilot told me our taxes are all going towards defunding the police.

Christ if only

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Captain Apollo posted:

The G5 knows something’s a bit wrong but it’s pretty sure it’s not *seriously* wrong.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqy_cWcwI48

More auto-rotation practice, this time all the way to the ground. (As we're at our home airfield, with a known ground surface).
Really struggled with actually hitting the spot this time, but my flares/touch downs were decent.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqy_cWcwI48

More auto-rotation practice, this time all the way to the ground. (As we're at our home airfield, with a known ground surface).
Really struggled with actually hitting the spot this time, but my flares/touch downs were decent.

Um, that reg is awesome. fuk gu.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pryor on Fire posted:

When you're trapped in a confined area with a shithead boomer the best strategy is to just pretend they said something else you'd prefer to talk about and engage with that imaginary partner instead. They will get confused and annoyed and assume you have some sort of disability, and then they will leave you alone.

For example:

Boomer: "Can you believe these goddamn protestors? I hope they all get shot!"
Response: "Yeah I don't really see how Monty's plan could have ever worked, the fact of the matter was there were just too many Panzer Grenadiers in the region and it was just too many miles behind enemy lines. The limited capabilities of paratroopers were not honestly acknowledged and the plan was just too optimistic to capture all the bridges."

Now I really want to use this exact line.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

KodiakRS posted:

P.S. If anyone sees an expressjet guy/gal this week remember to buy them a beer/coffee.

Already did last month, and would continue to do so if I worked this week. The senior XJT captain I bought coffee for and I both commiserated how lovely their management must have been to go from being one of the best regionals in the business, to being the red-headed non-Mormon stepchild of a mega-regional, to now being relegated to the airline graveyard.

Anyway, if AWSEFT is still reading this thread I passed the sim ride Friday and now hold a E-170/E-190 PIC type rating :toot:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Butt Reactor posted:

Already did last month, and would continue to do so if I worked this week. The senior XJT captain I bought coffee for and I both commiserated how lovely their management must have been to go from being one of the best regionals in the business, to being the red-headed non-Mormon stepchild of a mega-regional, to now being relegated to the airline graveyard.

Anyway, if AWSEFT is still reading this thread I passed the sim ride Friday and now hold a E-170/E-190 PIC type rating :toot:

I still can’t believe how dirty Skywest did Xjet

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
The good regionals always seem to be the ones to die. Pilots that actually want to stay at a regional is bad for the business model.

Congrats to all the United pilots keeping their jobs for at least 9 more months.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Man screw IAH winds today. Had my scariest landing in years, on an annual line check. Strong gust right on the flare as I cut the power. Nose came back up after touchdown and the speedbrakes automatically stowed, and autobrakes turned off. I thought it was all kinds of messed up and I was gonna get failed but the LCA said we actually reacted really well and saved the day, but I’m still shaking a little.

Animal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 28, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

Man screw IAH winds today. Hard my scariest landing in years, on an annual line check. Strong gust right on the flare as I cut the power. Nose came back up after touchdown and the speedbrakes automatically stowed, and autobrakes turned off. I thought it was all kinds of messed up and I was gonna get failed but the LCA said we actually reacted really well and saved the day, but I’m still shaking a little.

:ohdear:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's crazy. I was just sitting outside a few hours ago thinking about how nuts the wind gusts were.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Garmin G5 Chat

I have consulted with another couple of A&Ps.

My Magnetometer (GMU 11) was installed within 1 foot of the battery box, and within 6 inches of the Trim Servo. This is all located in the back just aft of the baggage compartment (none of this is good as magnets and electrical fields are lol).

I am paying another set of eyes to move it to the left wing. Yes, I know I should demand that the original shop fix it, but logistics (a whole lot of airplane travel) and my curiosity on getting things "right" allow me to just pay the cash and move on. Please pray that nothing else dumb happens.

I was told that on running the interference test that the Rotating Beacon was killing it the most. Seems like the wires for the magnetometer were with the wires for the lights.

Anyway - just if anybody is curious about this.

In other new my landing light just went out so I'm buying some AeroLEDs SUNBEAMS and maybe also a new rotating beacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

One of todays landing spots.