Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm one of the two people on the planet that liked driving the mako around.
I didn't mind it at all, just whoever decided to stick poo poo on the top of a fractal mountain can go gently caress themself. Getting the Mako to drive up an essentially vertical surface was always fun.

With a new console gen just a couple months away I don't see them doing a remaster so much as a complete remake. 2 and 3 need less work but 1 is a fuckin' mess. Just take the combat system from 3 and use it in all the games. Also 3 is not a cover shooter if you are playing correctly (vanguard). Because who needs loving cover with charge? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Beefstew posted:

Remember the Shurkien in ME2? That's gotta be in the running with the Halo Reach Assault Rifle for worst gun ever.

Still better than all the Heavy Pistols that didn't have enough ammo to kill like 2 enemies.

God I hated the SMG/Heavy Pistol design because it forced half the classes into only using SMGs. Which meant you were using the Locust for the majority of every run and you bee-lined for Kasumi's heist.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Kobal2 posted:

Whereas I hated what they did to biotics in 2/3. Like, what's the point of being able to lift a guy out of cover ONLY after you've stripped away whatever not_red bar they've got going ? Evidently you've been able to shoot them the whole time, just keep doing that instead of wasting time with your dumb pointless gimmick (which is also the *one* thing you can do if you played Adept in 1 because Adepts were actually fun and powerful back then. I'm not bitter at having been castrated at all, why do you ask ?)

you can use powers to stagger enemies even if they're not vulnerable. as an Adept I used Throw to buy time against a charging foe or to force an animation that lined them up for a headshot

and the damage powers will still do damage even if used against the "wrong" defence, just not as much

ME2/3 had a lot more going for them than just "generic cover shooter". a shame Dragon Age never quite seemed to figure its own gameplay out

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I forget...were combos already a thing in ME2?

In which case the only point of Throw is to activate the Warp bomb. :pcgaming:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

BrianWilly posted:

They were and they ruled.

Combos and the Vanguard class as a whole in ME2/3 were A+

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, but way less so than in 3.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

It's more like weapons that are not pistols are pointless. Shotguns can only fire point blank and many fights take place further than that, so why specialize in that ? SMGs are like that too, but even worse because even at point blank they shoot walls more than anything. Assault rifles are decent at range but suck up close. Pistols kill everybody in one shot at any range, obliterate bosses, and you can even freeze time and erase entire rooms in seconds. Oh, and they can do that non-lethally too if that's your jam.

Why are there other weapons, again ?

Obsidian being what it was the default is to assume the publisher said "make more weapon variety" because the entire game only seems to make sense running as a pistol sharpshooter kung fu hacker expert, a la James Bond secret agent style.

The meat of the game was the various missions and NPC interactions.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I thought assault rifles worked well as well and did my first playthrough AR + shotgun. The shotgun was a bit underwhelming but just like the pistol, it could obliterate anyone if you put in enough perks.

One overlooked weapon is your fists. You can spec yourself to become invisible for something silly like 10 seconds immediately when an enemy sees you and then just sprint up to them and hit them from the front while in stealth to instantly incapacitate them.

I'll admit the SMGs were really underpowered though.

EDIT: to put it into perspective, I have played five full playthroughs of alpha protocol, about three of ME1, and maybe did one and a half of ME2 and never replayed ME3. The shooting is a bit janky but ultimately the fact that ME1 and Alpha Protocol tried something different than being a corridor shooters made them vastly more enjoyable experiences to me, even just as core gameplay loops and by letting the player experiment.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 17, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect 2 on Insanity was the perfect combination of challenge and satisfaction. Bioware was never known for their gameplay but they kind of struck gold with really tight, well-paced missions that provided a good balance of combat, exposition and character. ME3 combat was also fun but a lot more unbalanced, as a Vanguard you could just steamroll everything even on the highest difficulty.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 2 on Insanity was the perfect combination of challenge and satisfaction. Bioware was never known for their gameplay but they kind of struck gold with really tight, well-paced missions that provided a good balance of combat, exposition and character. ME3 combat was also fun but a lot more unbalanced, as a Vanguard you could just steamroll everything even on the highest difficulty.

Playing ME2 on infiltrator was the most fun I've ever had in one of those types of games. Vanguard quickly became my main fave for ME3 when power combos were a thing.

ME1 on anything other then soldier was a chore, and even then you wanted to rush to get the special spectre gear because otherwise you were playing Inventory Management The Game for most of it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, 2 was sublime and 3 had a lot of balance issues, but that had it's benefits in some areas.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I have honestly never seen a game balance itself as well as ME3. You can start the game with a level 30 character and it still feels totally natural. Nothing goes down too easily, no damage sponges, no bullshit in general. Every other RPG that I've ever played that level scaled all enemies to you just gets trivial or obnoxious at some point. ME3 somehow hit the sweet spot.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

pentyne posted:

Playing ME2 on infiltrator was the most fun I've ever had in one of those types of games. Vanguard quickly became my main fave for ME3 when power combos were a thing.

ME1 on anything other then soldier was a chore, and even then you wanted to rush to get the special spectre gear because otherwise you were playing Inventory Management The Game for most of it.

Yeah on my recent ME1 playthrough I just cheated myself a bunch of xp and money and renegade/paragon points so I could fast forward the whole game, highly recommend this playstyle

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I liked Sentinel the most in ME2 because of Tech Armor. Getting its recharge down to its absolute lowest so you can have another armor ready almost immediately after it detonates was really fun. I have yet to play ME3, but I hear they changed it a bit. Sentinel was probably one of the worst classes in 1 though (worst class went to Engineer).

I actually hated the shotguns in ME2, so I always picked an AR instead of one at that one mission, so I could use the Mattock.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Beefstew posted:

I have honestly never seen a game balance itself as well as ME3. You can start the game with a level 30 character and it still feels totally natural. Nothing goes down too easily, no damage sponges, no bullshit in general. Every other RPG that I've ever played that level scaled all enemies to you just gets trivial or obnoxious at some point. ME3 somehow hit the sweet spot.

I had the opposite problem. ME3 difficulty wise was like playing on easy for me, even though I played on insanity like ME2. The only time I slightly felt pressed was the final Earth mission where they just spawn in tons of banshees at one time. Like it was very fun mechanically but I never felt challenged like in ME2.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Colgate posted:

I liked Sentinel the most in ME2 because of Tech Armor. Getting its recharge down to its absolute lowest so you can have another armor ready almost immediately after it detonates was really fun. I have yet to play ME3, but I hear they changed it a bit. Sentinel was probably one of the worst classes in 1 though (worst class went to Engineer).

I actually hated the shotguns in ME2, so I always picked an AR instead of one at that one mission, so I could use the Mattock.

Sentinel with the autoshotgun (scimitar?) was amazing. Like a slow-motion vanguard

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Sentinel was good in ME1. Super flexible power usage meant you could pick whoever you wanted for your party.

Sentinel was FUN in 2 and 3.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Engineer in ME3 is my favorite mage in any Bioware game. You have a trick for every occasion and a tool for every problem. Guns? Who needs em, Shepard has all the power she needs in her omnitool. Well, slap a scope on a paladin so you have a sniper rifle pistol that's also pinpoint accurate at close range if you think centurions shouldn't even be able to get away with smoke grenades.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm the super boring guy who played a soldier in every run of the original trilogy, but thanks to the profile swapping system in Andromeda I actually got to play around with the tech and biotic stuff and it was fun! I think I'll try a biotic character in my first run of the remaster (assuming it actually exists and is not just some cruel psy-op being run by EA).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I like playing Infiltrator because of Starcraft Ghost's and Ghost in the Shell, seeing as ME doesn't have a hard bitten hand cannon wielding detective class.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This is really making me want to play ME2 and 3 again

But instead I started DA2 over as a mage and I'm caught up to where I was as a warrior. Using Fenris/Varric/Merril because what are tanks

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Fenris is actually a passable tank, he just needs a little bit more babying. Unlike Aveline, he also doesn't hit like a feather pillow.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah he's a hybrid of Isabella and Aveline in terms of mitigation/avoidance. He'll require a bit more babying to make sure he lives, but 2h wars can certainly put out damage.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So on this replay of DA:I, I think I’ve come to the opinion that Inquisition has my favorite all time gear crafting system. It’s easy to use, you can dial in exactly what you want, and you can avoid it entirely if it’s not your thing.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
His downside is, he's an angsty anime tryhard crossbred with some sort of hosed up anorexic giraffe. Whereas Avelline is, if not actively cool, at least pleasant enough to be around and doesn't instantly hurt your eye-rolly muscles when she's on screen.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I could never get over the disconnect between Fenris looking like he does and sounding like he does. The voiceacting is great, but hearing that deep of a voice coming out of that skinny a body really makes you double-take.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nephthys posted:

I could never get over the disconnect between Fenris looking like he does and sounding like he does. The voiceacting is great, but hearing that deep of a voice coming out of that skinny a body really makes you double-take.

Fenris is one of two goofy anime characters in Dragon Age. There other is the she wolf from DA:O.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nephthys posted:

Might I present (final fantasy 14 spoilers) Yuyuhase's japanese voice actor

An even deeper voice coming out of someone roughly the size of a child

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

that voice actor looks a lot like a video game character

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Fenris is one of two goofy anime characters in Dragon Age. There other is the she wolf from DA:O.

Wait, who?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Witherfang from the dalish questline. She turns from a wolf into a naked tree lady that mothers the werewolves.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shugojin posted:

Might I present (final fantasy 14 spoilers) Yuyuhase's japanese voice actor

An even deeper voice coming out of someone roughly the size of a child

Harvins in Granblue also do this regularly. Pretty deep voices coming from potatoes.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any good texture replacers for DA:O that aren't JB3? I noticed his stuff tends to crash my game even if I'm conservative with what I install, and it's not for lack of system requirements: I7 3770, GTX 1080, 16Gigs RAM, game installed on a 1TBB SSD.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not as far as I know. There's some good replacers for real specific stuff, like this: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/4957

Uninstall Improved Atmosphere if you have it. Always makes my playthroughs crash and although it says it changes a ton of stuff, 90% of it isn't noticeable.

E: I lied, this is in my download history apparently, looks ok!: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/3869
This also upscales the cinematics so they don't look drastically worse than in-game: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/5255

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 21, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ll check those out, thank you! Speaking of JB3, has anyone had luck with running all of his packs in one game? I know it says on his page not to do that, but I’m hoping because 2010 was a different time hardware wise.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m a good 40 hours into my new DA:I play through, and this really is my fave game in the series. The game is gorgeous, the combat is fun, the characters are awesome, and I actually love the huge maps to
explore full of secrets. And as mentioned in my previous post, the game has my favorite crafting systems.

I think the only reason I never replayed it until now was because The Witcher 3 happened six months later and I’ve played that to completion plus DLC four times.

I’m also pumped to play the DLC again, since last time I played them when they came out which was months after playing the base game. I’m playing a female elf mage Inquisitor and can’t wait to see Trespasser with the Solas romance stuff. I also love the Deep Roads, so I’m greatly enjoying the Descent DLC.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

chaosapiant posted:

I’m a good 40 hours into my new DA:I play through, and this really is my fave game in the series. The game is gorgeous, the combat is fun, the characters are awesome, and I actually love the huge maps to
explore full of secrets. And as mentioned in my previous post, the game has my favorite crafting systems.

I think the only reason I never replayed it until now was because The Witcher 3 happened six months later and I’ve played that to completion plus DLC four times.

I’m also pumped to play the DLC again, since last time I played them when they came out which was months after playing the base game. I’m playing a female elf mage Inquisitor and can’t wait to see Trespasser with the Solas romance stuff. I also love the Deep Roads, so I’m greatly enjoying the Descent DLC.

I'm at about the same spot, doing the same character run (Knight Enchanter has indeed been very satisfying far, now I just need to find some decent mage armor/schematics). Except while I'm about 45 hours in, I've been screwing around so much that I still haven't even gone to deal with the Grey Wardens or the Orlesian court yet.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ShakeZula posted:

I'm at about the same spot, doing the same character run (Knight Enchanter has indeed been very satisfying far, now I just need to find some decent mage armor/schematics). Except while I'm about 45 hours in, I've been screwing around so much that I still haven't even gone to deal with the Grey Wardens or the Orlesian court yet.

Same except Rift Mage! And both of those quests are still waiting for me. I just finished the Crestwood part, but haven’t mapped out the Western Approach to get to the Wardens.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

ShakeZula posted:

There's a mage staff schematic later that is a melee staff using greatsword animations with an elemental lightsaber blade and it owns for KE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

NeurosisHead posted:

There's a mage staff schematic later that is a melee staff using greatsword animations with an elemental lightsaber blade and it owns for KE

Yeah but that's not until Trespasser, right? Little late in the game and by little I mean it's the end of the game.