Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
What app is Callie using to learn Japanese? I’m tempted to pick up Japanese and I don’t really want to use Duolingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

WaniKani, which is endorsed by the government iirc but many online learners will say actually sucks and recommend you a weird hodgepodge flashcard system instead. i agree that it does suck but the stuff out there that's actually good usually ends up being those flashcard systems that random people make, and finding a good one can be tricky. that stuff only matters if youre looking to learn the language at a level where you plan on interacting with japanese people daily or moving there or something, otherwise honestly anki or duolingo or something are fine for getting a basic vocabulary and some literacy

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Kanos posted:

It's not really weird? The persona a vtuber wants the world to know about is their vtuber persona. Their identity is not publicly known for a reason; "this other youtube channel is totally [insert vtuber here] and people know it on the down low wink wink nudge nudge" does not qualify as public knowledge. We're not presented with, say, Amelia Watson As Portrayed By [insert name/handle here], we're presented with Amelia Watson.

It's not weird to respect that privacy, especially since the internet cannot leave well enough the gently caress alone and we have a recent example of how bad it can get with Aloe.

This is the weirdest logic. Authors have published multiple works under different pseudonyms and nobody tries to cover it up or speak in shadows about it like weirdos do with Vtubers. Obviously people shouldn't be getting doxxed, but enjoying someone's videos and wanting to see their earlier work is only natural.

If finding out that the person behind a character wasn't born yesterday "ruins the fantasy" or what have you, then those people should see a psychiatrist because they're only a couple steps away from going on an incel crusade when they find out the actress has a boyfriend.

If anything, making people more aware that vtubers existed as other entities beforehand would probably be healthier for the fandom as a whole, but it would also be less profitable for the corporation, which is why it's kept hush hush.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Even if you are looped in on who's who, they're not always doing the same kind of poo poo from one account to another so it's not even useful information. Like even when it's a big name vtuber that reincarnates into a new character, they sometimes end up doing different poo poo and develop differently. If you know it's a nice little bonus and fans of their previous poo poo tend to figure out the new thing they're into, but no one else cares and it's best just to keep it to yourself.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i'm more interested in how much of a gremlin they were. like to what extent. I prefer not to support/watch people who are real pieces of poo poo regardless of their persona.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SpartanIvy posted:

If anything, making people more aware that vtubers existed as other entities beforehand would probably be healthier for the fandom as a whole, but it would also be less profitable for the corporation, which is why it's kept hush hush.

Knowing identities means you can funnel 100% of your money to your favourite vtuber like Calli by supporting them on Bandcamp Fridays instead of giving them only 35% of a superchat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Paper Lion posted:

WaniKani, which is endorsed by the government iirc but many online learners will say actually sucks and recommend you a weird hodgepodge flashcard system instead. i agree that it does suck but the stuff out there that's actually good usually ends up being those flashcard systems that random people make, and finding a good one can be tricky. that stuff only matters if youre looking to learn the language at a level where you plan on interacting with japanese people daily or moving there or something, otherwise honestly anki or duolingo or something are fine for getting a basic vocabulary and some literacy

Duolingo is often cited as being much worse than Wanikani for learning Japanese, I don't know where you got that as a suggestion.

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

Kanos posted:

It's not really weird? The persona a vtuber wants the world to know about is their vtuber persona. Their identity is not publicly known for a reason; "this other youtube channel is totally [insert vtuber here] and people know it on the down low wink wink nudge nudge" does not qualify as public knowledge. We're not presented with, say, Amelia Watson As Portrayed By [insert name/handle here], we're presented with Amelia Watson.

It's not weird to respect that privacy, especially since the internet cannot leave well enough the gently caress alone and we have a recent example of how bad it can get with Aloe.
It is weird to demand that everyone pretend kayfabe is real all the time. Going back to the wrestling question: if Mark Calaway wrenches his back lifting a couch in his home in Austin, it would be weird that everyone pretend that the Undertaker missed a show because his coffin fell over in Death Valley (or whatever). The latter may be the kayfabe explanation, and honestly that's probably all most people probably need to know for stupid non-news like that. But not all real-life information should be wrapped up in kayfabe -- there are reasonable discussions one could have about the businessman Vince McMahon vs. the character (again, stretching this wrestling thing). We don't pretend that the Mr. McMahon character was lobbying to open up wrestling shows in Florida during the early days of the Covid pandemic.

If the kayfabe for Aloe is that the character graduated, great. But even towards your point that folks want privacy, then shouldn't part of the discussion be that Cover did the actress dirty? There are real-world implications (and lots of money) to VTuber things. If you'd prefer to focus entirely on the kayfabe, that's fine. But it's weird to demand that everyone else must only care about that.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Gura coming out with the hard facts that she’s not boing boing due to being hydrodynamic. True scientist here.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i didnt suggest it for learning japanese as your entire approach, i suggested it for quickly pounding out basic literacy and learning enough words to put some basic sentences together.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

jimmydalad posted:

What app is Callie using to learn Japanese? I’m tempted to pick up Japanese and I don’t really want to use Duolingo.

my partner would suggest you get a text book. if you can't do immersion learning.

she would also suggest you study kanji early and not put it off. i'll find out what text book(s) she suggests.

also there are some really good iphone dictionaries you can use. some really good ones for practicing stroke order and writing and stuff too.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 14, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

jimmydalad posted:

Gura coming out with the hard facts that she’s not boing boing due to being hydrodynamic. True scientist here.

Gura has really put in a lot of thought and research into her character and I love her for it.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

I agree.

Either bite the bullet and just go all in when talking about their past career, if you think there is something really important for thread to know and discuss (see, the whole mess with Aloe), or don't talk at all. The whole "Oh, Gura in her past career did "x" and now she is doing "y", I wonder if she keep doing it, or goes back to "x", or even tries to do "z", because she talked about how she wants to try that in her last stream before becoming Gura" is super obnoxious. You are still discussing past careers of Vtubers just with extra wink and nudge to avoid the letter of the rules, while also excluding everyone without whatever insider knowledge you have.

This basically.

It's obnoxious to read people post "Oh, I hope [vtuber] will do ''''''that''''' again like they did (((before))), allegedly, perhaps" and poo poo like that. I'm not worried about the kayfabe being broken, it's just annoying to have to read those sorts of posts. If the people posting those kinds of things thought what they were doing was fine, then they would just post what 'that' was and who they think the tubers were. If you're too scared to post the info even behind spoiler tags, then don't post it in this thread.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SpartanIvy posted:

This is the weirdest logic. Authors have published multiple works under different pseudonyms and nobody tries to cover it up or speak in shadows about it like weirdos do with Vtubers. Obviously people shouldn't be getting doxxed, but enjoying someone's videos and wanting to see their earlier work is only natural.

If finding out that the person behind a character wasn't born yesterday "ruins the fantasy" or what have you, then those people should see a psychiatrist because they're only a couple steps away from going on an incel crusade when they find out the actress has a boyfriend.

Cool, except I didn't talk about the "fantasy" or any of the poo poo you're talking about, I talked about them wanting to be known only by a specific identity and respecting those wishes in an industry which is actively known for being absolutely plagued with career-ruining doxxing and trying to handwave over that fact or compare it to other industries which are not remotely as plagued by career-ruining doxxing is mind-bendingly disingenuous.

Trying to be a popular female streamer is pretty loving hard and the vtuber shield of anonymity lets more of them actually do it.

Menacer posted:

It is weird to demand that everyone pretend kayfabe is real all the time. Going back to the wrestling question: if Mark Calaway wrenches his back lifting a couch in his home in Austin, it would be weird that everyone pretend that the Undertaker missed a show because his coffin fell over in Death Valley (or whatever). The latter may be the kayfabe explanation, and honestly that's probably all most people probably need to know for stupid non-news like that. But not all real-life information should be wrapped up in kayfabe -- there are reasonable discussions one could have about the businessman Vince McMahon vs. the character (again, stretching this wrestling thing). We don't pretend that the Mr. McMahon character was lobbying to open up wrestling shows in Florida during the early days of the Covid pandemic.

If the kayfabe for Aloe is that the character graduated, great. But even towards your point that folks want privacy, then shouldn't part of the discussion be that Cover did the actress dirty? There are real-world implications (and lots of money) to VTuber things. If you'd prefer to focus entirely on the kayfabe, that's fine. But it's weird to demand that everyone else must only care about that.

Cover hosed up horribly with Aloe in their own way, but adding a sustained real life harassment campaign from shitheads on top of the stress of the suspension probably didn't help the situation?

I don't give a gently caress about the "fantasy" or "kayfabe" of Gura being a 9000 year old shark from Atlantis or whatever, I care about their right to privacy being respected, and ghoulishly digging around for information about their past pursuits(which they do not publicly talk about) while wink-wink nudge-nudge talking about it isn't terribly respectful of that privacy.

If Coco came out and said "yeah I used to do videos on this channel before I was Coco", then yeah that's fine, whatever.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 23, 2020

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Red Superchats are gonna start world war 3 in Gura’s chat.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
kiara is gonna be playing FE: three houses apparently. that is quite an undertaking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgU4dGFZ0Tw

bideojames
Aug 29, 2004

>:3

SpartanIvy posted:

...Obviously people shouldn't be getting doxxed...

But they are.

Which is why a mod came in here to remind people of the rules of the thread.

Personally if I disagreed with any of the rules here I would simply shut the gently caress up about it, you can go play internet detective on reddit if you really need to know.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
With the kayfabe thing I think there is a difference between digging up information on random niconico streamers that have become vtubers vs when its a fairly internet famous / popular streamer being reborn in new vtuber form.

Like 3/5 of HololiveEN were professionals in their field before becoming a vtuber, there is a limit to incredulousness as Ina bangs out amazing drawing streams or Calli busts out new raps...and both gave subtle/not-so-subtle clues as their other identities

-mod snip-

I don't think anyone should be going into their chats and spamming poo poo about it, but I don't see why discussing it in spoilers especially for the vtubers who drop hints shouldn't be allowed as the rules were posted about it. Unless ppl want the rules changed to zero discussion in which case I think having a spoiler thread would be appropriate.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 23, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Kanos posted:

Cool, except I didn't talk about the "fantasy" or any of the poo poo you're talking about, I talked about them wanting to be known only by a specific identity and respecting those wishes in an industry which is actively known for being absolutely plagued with career-ruining doxxing and trying to handwave over that fact or compare it to other industries which are not remotely as plagued by career-ruining doxxing is mind-bendingly disingenuous.

Trying to be a popular female streamer is pretty loving hard and the vtuber shield of anonymity lets more of them actually do it.

Cover hosed up horribly with Aloe in their own way, but adding a sustained real life harassment campaign from shitheads on top of the stress of the suspension probably didn't help the situation?

I don't give a gently caress about the "fantasy" or "kayfabe" of Gura being a 9000 year old shark from Atlantis or whatever, I care about their right to privacy being respected, and ghoulishly digging around for information about their past pursuits(which they do not publicly talk about) while wink-wink nudge-nudge talking about it isn't terribly respectful of that privacy.

If Coco came out and said "yeah I used to do videos on this channel before I was Coco", then yeah that's fine, whatever.

Have you considered that the reason they don't talk about their past careers isn't because they don't want to but because they are contractually forbidden to do so by the corporation? You should stop thinking that you're only supposed to talk about what a corporation says you can in regards to it's products.

When a famous designer moves from one corporation to another to work on products, they don't promote their previous designs still with their competitor, and it's not because they don't want to. It's because they are contractually not allowed to because people might buy and support the designers old products, and not the new products the new company is paying the designer for.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Could you make another vtuber thread for doxxing and leave this one for the marks

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Can we not loving do this, please? After a page full of people and a mod directly saying not to?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I vote we have a second thread: Vtubers: Prior Lifues of your Waifus

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Personally, I laughed when the anime girl said a funny thing

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Personally, I laughed when the anime girl said a funny thing

Yeah I miss Miko too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

King Cohort posted:

Can we not loving do this, please? After a page full of people and a mod directly saying not to?

They are active/not shuttered on there, its not against the rule to post it under spoilers.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
*Busts into this thread Kramer style* Whoah hey guys, *walks over and begins playing with anime figurines uninvited to do so* So did everyone here that Mizahiro Kazawazi was actually originally Michelle Obama the former first lady of america? I heard she lives at 1322 W Harbor St in Persipone Maryland, 10997 and her list of personal fears is being set on fire, heights, and having her children who go to Andrew Jackson middle school and arrive at 7:30am as prisoners. Isn't that weird?

*tosses asuka figurine over shoulder*

any way I'm going to go superchat with the name Owldolf Hootler to make a woman say racist things. LOL!!!!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kanos posted:

Yeah, this is how I feel about the subject matter, and I'm probably going to start throwing around probes if people keep on bringing this stuff up unprompted.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Jerkface posted:

They are active/not shuttered on there, its not against the rule to post it under spoilers.

Callie's is shuttered. She hasn't posted new videos in months and her Patreon is shut down. You'd know this if you had actually looked at the alleged identities you claim to know so well. Not to mention that the common-sense privacy and doxxing concerns should matter more to you than the precise wording of a rule.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

King Cohort posted:

Callie's is. She hasn't posted new videos in months and her Patreon is shut down. You'd know this if you had actually looked at the alleged identities you claim to know so well. Not to mention that the common-sense privacy and doxxing concerns should matter more to you than the precise wording of a rule.

All her old music is available for sale. If you wanted to support her why wouldn't you want to do it directly?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SpartanIvy posted:

Have you considered that the reason they don't talk about their past careers isn't because they don't want to but because they are contractually forbidden to do so by the corporation? You should stop thinking that you're only supposed to talk about what a corporation says you can in regards to it's products.

When a famous designer moves from one corporation to another to work on products, they don't promote their previous designs still with their competitor, and it's not because they don't want to. It's because they are contractually not allowed to because people might buy and support the designers old products, and not the new products the new company is paying the designer for.

Cover obviously wants their talent to focus on stuff that makes Cover money, and they're probably under a contractual obligation to not reference non-hololive content due to that. That doesn't change the fact that vtubers are deliberately anonymous and are in an industry where the price of breaking anonymity often has incredibly negative real life consequences. As for "don't believe the corporate propaganda", there are also a ton of independent vtubers who choose to not broadcast their identities.

You keep making really pointless analogies to other industries that are almost completely invalid because those industries 1. are not infamously known for doxxing campaigns ruining the career/lives of people in those industries 2. are not typically maintained under conditions of anonymity. If designers were a frequently harassed and doxxed group and did their work under conditions of anonymity due to the real fear that some neckbeard would try to triangulate their location and phone number based on the specific thread pattern of a dress they made and somehow use that information to try to ruin their career, I would also respect their right to anonymity.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Turns out Amelia's getting killed by her fans accidentally now. The dude just posted it on reddit.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Tabletops posted:

kiara is gonna be playing FE: three houses apparently. that is quite an undertaking!

This will be cool, although three houses has a ton of down time. At least I think this will be the first time I've seen a vtuber play a tactical/strategy game (besides baseball).

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Jerkface posted:

All her old music is available for sale. If you wanted to support her why wouldn't you want to do that?

Because you can just support her risk-free by signing up for her channel membership or sending her a superchat, instead of risking her privacy and potentially her entire career by digging up an alleged prior identity and screaming it to the world unprompted like you just did.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Jerkface posted:

All her old music is available for sale. If you wanted to support her why wouldn't you want to do it directly?

Because she's not asking me to. And if some non-vtuber personality is asking, we dont need to discuss them in this thread.

gently caress off.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

I vote we have a second thread: Vtubers: Prior Lifues of your Waifus
Terrible name thread.

F Very Poor. See us both (Julias and yours truly) after class. We're calling your parents. :colbert:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Captain Cappy posted:

This will be cool, although three houses has a ton of down time. At least I think this will be the first time I've seen a vtuber play a tactical/strategy game (besides baseball).

When are vtubers going to play Advanced Squad Leader??

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

King Cohort posted:

Because you can just support her risk-free by signing up for her channel membership or sending her a superchat, instead of risking her privacy and potentially her entire career by digging up an alleged prior identity and screaming it to the world unprompted like you just did.

motoh posted:

Because she's not asking me to. And if some non-vtuber personality is asking, we dont need to discuss them in this thread.

gently caress off.

She's a content creator and her previous persona is also a fake persona. Its not doxxing and you can consume more of her content AND support her directly instead of through a mechanism that takes a huge cut from her. IDGI man, this is what I;m talking about with the incredulousness of the kayfabe stuff. Surely there must be a limit for ppl who are not amateurs with back catalogs?

Edit: Like surely its you guys who are being weird about this and not me, in this case, right? Shes a musician with previous works. If you like her now, you'd want to know there is more music available from her right?

I'm not into these vtubers to be my waifu, they are entertainers.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 23, 2020

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

SpartanIvy posted:

I think the rule is they are allowed to continue doing other stuff but aren't allowed to outright say who they are. Coco still does IRL streams on her old account, and Noel still does her ASMR videos. They have both hosed in ways that confirmed it was them but they haven't been shitcanned.

I personally don't see the problem with talking about their other content when they were public figures, like Gura having a million subscriber youtube channel. I think it's only problematic when it's their personal twitter accounts or something.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

sinky posted:

When are vtubers going to play Advanced Squad Leader??

It'd be cool to see them play tabletop stuff, although it might be tough with oven mitts on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Edit: Like surely its you guys who are being weird about this and not me, in this case, right?

pretty sure you're the one being weird about this, op