Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

My point is there are no atoms, they are not simulating atoms.

If it was something like "Every planet procedural" and then worked with birds and other stuff as it does, it'd be so much better. But no, let's pretend we generate ATOMS

Look, they know their audience (gamer dads) and it demands that kinda poo poo. Like, I don't expect my ads to be particularly trustworthy.

But if it really bugs you then Atom can also mean "indivisible" and they indeed procedurally generate and simulate all the indivisible stuff. There! problem fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

former glory posted:

the Croblodyte

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
if there's one thing I know about Chris, it's that he's a self-aggrandizing moron

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

My point is there are no atoms, they are not simulating atoms.

If it was something like "Every planet procedural" and then worked with birds and other stuff as it does, it'd be so much better. But no, let's pretend we generate ATOMS

If there are no atoms then every atom is procedural. :smuggo:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
gently caress it finally bought no mans sky, half price at the mo and does VR, win win
They've earned my money

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

It's the AWS servers. They have reached the limit that these server blades can manage despite all the optimisations. The whole game universe plus 50 players and everything they bring is run on one server blade = 72 threads at 2.5Ghz and 64Gb RAM (average).

Things should improve when they have iCache which allows servers to handle a part of the Stanton system each (one moon or planet per server blade for example) while all connected in real time - this will also allow a big increase in the number of concurrent players and full persistence. This is Static Server Meshing and is expected late this year or early next year.

Eventually all servers will expand or contract in game space dynamically according to player load. This is called Dynamic Server Meshing, it is expected around the end of next year. We also expect the Vulkan API to be implemented late this year or early next year, this will improve performance markedly also.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Mirificus posted:

quote:

It's the AWS servers. They have reached the limit that these server blades can manage despite all the optimisations. The whole game universe plus 50 players and everything they bring is run on one server blade = 72 threads at 2.5Ghz and 64Gb RAM (average).

Heavens! 72 threads you say? That’s some hard chargin’, steel drivin’, badass motherfuckin’ computational necromancy right there son!

The instance of Spotify running on my MacBook right now has 43 threads. My dev environment has 79. 72 threads on a high capacity server is nothing. Unless of course you’re an idiot whose garbage code keeps sabotaging itself. Nah.

The rest of that quote is, of course, also a bunch of made up bullshit.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

JugbandDude posted:

I find it odd the Sandiworm is described with "Diet = Carnivore" in the wiki, since a desert moon (Leir or some loving poo poo?) doesn't have anywhere near the required animal life to sustain such a creature.

Has anyone read the source material (i.e. Dune books)? I read the first book and don't remember him going into those details. Figured it was best to just leave it as a mistery and not ruin the ~~immersion~~

They sift sand to eat sand plankton (which are baby sandworms). iirc this is decribed in the "Children of Dune" book.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

Things should improve when they have iCache which allows servers to handle a part of the Stanton system each (one moon or planet per server blade for example) while all connected in real time - this will also allow a big increase in the number of concurrent players and full persistence. This is Static Server Meshing and is expected late this year or early next year.

Eventually all servers will expand or contract in game space dynamically according to player load. This is called Dynamic Server Meshing, it is expected around the end of next year. We also expect the Vulkan API to be implemented late this year or early next year, this will improve performance markedly also.

Heh

This makes total sense potentially hundreds of servers to handle one system. Yup not totally going to melt.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

monkeytek posted:

Heh

This makes total sense potentially hundreds of servers to handle one system. Yup not totally going to melt.

I am looking forward to the detailed do it yourself implementation guide in the 'Private Servers and Modding' guide that is now available for preorder.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I think you guys are projecting a level of intelligence and self-awareness on Roberts far beyond his actual ability. He doesn't think anything "deep down" because he doesn't have a deep down. He doesn't know Star Citizen is poo poo because he's incapable of recognizing it. He lives in a complete dreamworld bubble created and maintained by his own ego, and bolstered by buildings with murals of a nonexistent game and expensive cars and houses that "prove" he's succeeding. There are no "thoughts" beyond that, certainly no plans to either ride it out nor to bail. Each day is a mental reset where he lives, Groundhog Day style, in the role of a game developer.

Chris is, basically, a dog eating its own poo poo.

When this collapses, he'll spend some time in a stunned state, then blame everyone else, then lose every dime he earned trying to do it all again.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Time_pants posted:

Yeah, I have no idea why people still somehow think Cribbles has any sort of grand delusion that Shart Buttizen is going to be his magnum opus and a global phenomenon that will forever transform media. At one time, he may have bought his own hype, but at this point, I think it's very safe to say that the scales have fallen from his eyes and he has long since fallen out of love and grown bored of the project.

I agree. The guy was ubiquitous from 2014 - 2018. He took to cameras constantly, ever eager to pontificate and bloviate about how incredible his games would be and how wonderfully it’s all coming along.

Those days are over. The guy might as well be in the Federal witness relocation program at this point. There’s hardly an appearance - and even when there is, he diffuses the spotlight by surrounding himself with supplicants and letting them drive much of the conversation. Or he pops up on Spectrum to hector an annoying critic who really got under his skin, you know, for old times sake.

Chris blew it, he knows he blew it, and now he’s scared to have his any new quotes weaponized against him like the old ones so effectively are. Some of that may be legacy anxiety but I assume he also has new Calder headaches to deal with.

Squadron, in some form, has gotta ship sometime. If it’s anything like what we’ve seen so far, his best hope is a metacritic 60 and some polite words about better games from simpler times. But there’s a lot of work to be done to get even there, miserable work, so who knows if they even get there.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I would be very surprised if Chris were not under a strict gag order from the money people, with a ban on video appearances and all external written communications having to be screened, edited, and approved before publication. This would help explain the weird 'voice' of his spectrum posts. It is the roar of a muzzled Crobear.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

monkeytek posted:

Heh

Do they not have an answer beside "magic" for what happens when more than 50 people try to move into the same area?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Bubbacub posted:

Do they not have an answer beside "magic" for what happens when more than 50 people try to move into the same area?

quote:

Think of it more like a Fractal. The more population in a given area, the more server power dedicated to incrementally smaller chunks of space. If there are 1,000 people packed into a single ship, they may wind up with the equivalent of 30 servers working together to process all that data.

Of course, it's also all in the cloud, so the typical idea of a server goes right out the window, as it's eminently possible to "bond" dozens or even hundreds/thousands of physical servers together to achieve a single, unified (and ungodly powerful) machine.

That's essentially what they're aiming for. Right now, they're focused on single server performance, but eventually they'll get that all nailed down and move on to stitching multiples of them together. It'll take a lot of work, but the end result should be pretty drat spectacular by the time it's all done.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Golli posted:

I would be very surprised if Chris were not under a strict gag order from the money people, with a ban on video appearances and all external written communications having to be screened, edited, and approved before publication. This would help explain the weird 'voice' of his spectrum posts. It is the roar of a muzzled Crobear.

everytime he speaks freely they run the risk of more feature creep and engineering debt or whatever the terms are

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I think CR doesn't care about SC as much as people may want/think. It was great for a while, but now he can just show up and wave a flag a bit and that's fine with him.

Making games isn't the part he enjoys anymore, it's more about the videography side for him. I think his engagement only is as strong as he can make sure the video/looks side of things is critical to him. So he'll be right there behind a camera for motion capture, but he won't be digging into the programming. He'll critique the looks of some random non npc, but he won't be giving valuable input or direction on which path developers need to take; outside of making sure they are working on getting his videography and artwork in the game as fast as possible.

Part of the reason for so much feature creep is because when it's time to code stuff and stop doing art, he hates this. To him this isn't progress, so it's back to motion capture to do somebody eating a hotdog or something, then make that be a thing in the game ASAP.

This is like, just my opinion.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 23, 2020

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I think he can just walk away, start a kickstarter for Space Inhabitant and a whole bunch of these drooling buffoons would toss money at it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

I think you guys are projecting a level of intelligence and self-awareness on Roberts far beyond his actual ability. He doesn't think anything "deep down" because he doesn't have a deep down. He doesn't know Star Citizen is poo poo because he's incapable of recognizing it. He lives in a complete dreamworld bubble created and maintained by his own ego, and bolstered by buildings with murals of a nonexistent game and expensive cars and houses that "prove" he's succeeding. There are no "thoughts" beyond that, certainly no plans to either ride it out nor to bail. Each day is a mental reset where he lives, Groundhog Day style, in the role of a game developer.

Chris is, basically, a dog eating its own poo poo.

When this collapses, he'll spend some time in a stunned state, then blame everyone else, then lose every dime he earned trying to do it all again.

I think it's less ominous than that.

It's junk because he doesn't play other games and know what people like and what users expect in a good experience.

He also doesn't play his own game so has no idea how it compares against all the other things he doesn't play. :shrug:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well hot drat, Roberts is attempting to do a Beowulf cluster of AWS servers.

Should have said, a Beowulf of clouds.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bubbacub posted:

This is where "server meshing" comes in.

Assuming they can figure it out, the potential costs CIG will see in their current AWS billing will probably go up by several magnitudes.

I imagine "Tier 0" of this is place A is one server, place B is another server, etc, and as you drive around you switch servers. So you'll see people pop in and out. They may have multiple Place A server so you could be following somebody like a buddy and suddenly you both vanish from each other because you got sent to different servers.

The whole servers within servers with view into other servers stuff is going to be tremendously beyond their capability to do correctly, and probably even at a rudimentary level.

If they can get "saving your game" right, you should be able to be moved from one server to another server relatively logically.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

thank you for paying star citizen!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Golli posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite is true, either.

He's done with this poo poo and believes his work is finished outside of pointing and making changes for people.

He doesn't want to be associated with a video game anymore because he's grown beyond them and is a true connoisseur off the arts now (movies and video and art).

He took a long break because he wanted CIG to stand on its own feet. CIG couldn't muster up the ability, so he's being pestered to help bring confidence back. He doesn't want to really do that so, assuming those posts are his, the annoyance in his replies and the arrogance of not being responsible to answer stuff he doesn't want to, is notable.

Since he certainly don't want to do this crap, one of his first decision was to dust off Ben so he can start doing it again and bodily CR can slowly melt into the beaches of Hawaii without being noticed.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 23, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JugbandDude posted:

Has anyone read the source material (i.e. Dune books)?

This is a joke right

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Snazzy Frocks posted:

everytime he speaks freely they run the risk of more feature creep and engineering debt or whatever the terms are

At this point of the game, I don't think anybody gives a drat about feature creep and has no intentions of upholding the promises people may have bought in for in the past. You're going to get "some game" and that may not be what it was sold as.

Their big issue is regaining backer confidence so the money tree blooms again. If that means promising more stuff is "almost here" or inventing some new technology noun, that's a small cost to pay to keep the money rolling in.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

phosdex posted:

I think he can just walk away, start a kickstarter for Space Inhabitant and a whole bunch of these drooling buffoons would toss money at it.

Yus. :)

I believe once CR can adequately distance himself from SC and if he can navigate a "successful" exit, he will be immediately back with another crowd funding project.

Bonus points if he claims to have "learned many lessons from SC" while SC is still shambling in a pre-alpha state. :)

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JugbandDude posted:

I find it odd the Sandiworm is described with "Diet = Carnivore" in the wiki, since a desert moon (Leir or some loving poo poo?) doesn't have anywhere near the required animal life to sustain such a creature.

Has anyone read the source material (i.e. Dune books)? I read the first book and don't remember him going into those details. Figured it was best to just leave it as a mistery and not ruin the ~~immersion~~

i too read the book and also cant remember but in dune the worms were making GBS threads out the spice iirc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

peter gabriel posted:

gently caress it finally bought no mans sky, half price at the mo and does VR, win win
They've earned my money

You should know going in that its pretty bad as a game still. Even with all the updates, NMS is boring and crazy repetitive.

Its fun to blast around and see planets for a few minutes but that's about it. The only way to really have fun is multiplayer.

VR controls and UI are kinda janky too, but definitely playable. But I found having to do a ton of crafting was a massive headache and I'd rather play in 2D at that point.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
The irony of infinite procedural terrain is that it is infinitely boring.

If people played these other games they would see that. Nobody cares if you found a procedural lake and the sunrise was pretty. There's a billion procedural lakes out there with that same look and it's meaningless.

It's like the old Spore game, where even with user content you would immediately see "oh this planet has these three plants/rocks/creatures". Seeing the new thing wasn't cool, it was just realizing what the algorithm called to replace these things with the planet you were just on with whatever this new one had to load in with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Titanic posted:

100%

Warren Spector was right, what people want is a single square block that's super detailed, not giant planet-sized-planets that are totally barren and repetitive.

If you want a big open world you still have to make it interesting, Rockstar can kinda pull it off but it costs a fortune.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

You should know going in that its pretty bad as a game still. Even with all the updates, NMS is boring and crazy repetitive.

Its fun to blast around and see planets for a few minutes but that's about it. The only way to really have fun is multiplayer.

VR controls and UI are kinda janky too, but definitely playable. But I found having to do a ton of crafting was a massive headache and I'd rather play in 2D at that point.

Yeah it’s fun to screw around in a bit. But the core experience is still “trudge around ugly procedural planets shooting at rocks to keep 10 different meters filled and maybe build a 3% upgrade to your shields.” They’ve added a lot extraneous stuff that is sort of cool, but the core of the game is still extremely boring.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i would have two questions before i go to bed

1) what is erin up to these days?
2) what do you think about dual universe?

yes i am talking to you right there!

edit: two posts below, that cute thoatse clip...it looks very much like a cat being remote controlled by a laser pointer thoatse!

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 23, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zaphod42 posted:

If you want a big open world you still have to make it interesting, Rockstar can kinda pull it off but it costs a fortune.

That's why only Rockstar can keep up with CIG. Maybe.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/BZCobGg.mp4

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

If people played these other games they would see that. Nobody cares if you found a procedural lake and the sunrise was pretty. There's a billion procedural lakes out there with that same look and it's meaningless.

It's like the old Spore game, where even with user content you would immediately see "oh this planet has these three plants/rocks/creatures". Seeing the new thing wasn't cool, it was just realizing what the algorithm called to replace these things with the planet you were just on with whatever this new one had to load in with.

Ultimately procedural generation can’t create comping content or even environments. It’s just mixing up hand made assets in different configurations. Like on Hurston, you’ll see the same 3 or 4 plants repeated to infinity. There’s no joy in seeing how an algorithm randomized a few ground textures. I could walk down my suburban block and see an almost endless variety of flora, fauna and human made objects/structures in comparison.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

So have they announced what they’re doing as a CitCon replacement yet? If Chris doesn’t show up on camera, the salt is going to overflow.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I disagree.

I have had plenty of fun exploring the procedural landscapes in minecraft.

That does not mean that Chris Roberts can make a fun procedural land though.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
A lot of people itt seem to forget that Chris is refactoring the physics systems himself.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

I disagree.

I have had plenty of fun exploring the procedural landscapes in minecraft.

That does not mean that Chris Roberts can make a fun procedural land though.

i think there is a difference between “procedural landscape“ and “procedural landscape that you can edit“.
because humans love to leave their fingerprints everywhere and enjoy crafting and digging holes

but real salvation can only be found in star citizor

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Bumble He posted:

i would have two questions before i go to bed

1) what is erin up to these days?
2) what do you think about dual universe?

yes i am talking to you right there!

Erin has been away from public appearances even longer than his brother. He did not show up even in the last citcon iirc.

Dual Universe, no loving idea.