Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I never liked Babish but I'll start watching now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I know it's Sohla saying it and not Andrew Rea (and it's just marketing fluff anyway), but the quote about "even try to beat the Babish" is :rolleyes: as gently caress.

He's a good home cook, but Sohla can easily cook circles around Rea.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

enki42 posted:

I know it's Sohla saying it and not Andrew Rea (and it's just marketing fluff anyway), but the quote about "even try to beat the Babish" is :rolleyes: as gently caress.

My thoughts exactly. No ill will towards him, as he has always called himself a cook, and been super respectful and deferential when working with real chefs. But yeah, when he started he was a good designer, and passable home cook with a good idea that he executed well. He’s worked hard and learned a lot, but Sohla was the the best chef in a test kitchen of professionals, so yeah...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Deadline's first descriptor of Rea is "chef" lol. That said, making Sohla cook dishes with goofy limitations seems like a fun way to showcase her ability to flip expectations on their heads.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

My thoughts exactly. No ill will towards him, as he has always called himself a cook, and been super respectful and deferential when working with real chefs. But yeah, when he started he was a good designer, and passable home cook with a good idea that he executed well. He’s worked hard and learned a lot, but Sohla was the the best chef in a test kitchen of professionals, so yeah...

also she, you know, owned and ran a restaurant as a chef lol

unlike, as far as i know, literally everyone else in the (now former) BA kitchen

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

enki42 posted:

He's a professional chef, he has chef tattoos.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
That seems very tongue-in-cheek to me, of course she's going to beat him every time. Not sure what there is to even roll your eyes about, unless of course you already have some animus towards Rea. Seems like a fun idea!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Yeah, I'll watch it, and I'm excited, and I know it's marketing fluff. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive to this kind of stuff after that's sort of been a consistent problem with Sohla's employers in the past (relegated to sidekick / helper / "ethnic food maker" when she's pretty regularly the best chef in everything she appears in). I like BwB, Andrew Rea is a cool guy, and he's consistently not had an ego and stresses he's not a professional chef.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 23, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Sohla seems to be a genuinely fun and happy person, or a really good actor. Every interaction I've seen with her and Babish seems like they both enjoy working together. She's also brave and smart enough to blow the lid on the BA thing and play her cards in what seems like a correct fashion.

I would imagine she's considered her options in light of the BA bullshit and made a smart move that allows her to keep her dignity / respect / pay equity

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm interpreting the concept of the show as "beat the weird-rear end challenge set by the spinning wheel" rather than the two of them competing. Because, as noted above, he stands zero chance to do anything but look a fool and everyone involved knows it. Rea is probably just the "gameshow" host at the beginning and maybe end.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Trabant posted:

I'm interpreting the concept of the show as "beat the weird-rear end challenge set by the spinning wheel" rather than the two of them competing. Because, as noted above, he stands zero chance to do anything but look a fool and everyone involved knows it. Rea is probably just the "gameshow" host at the beginning and maybe end.

It sounds like probably one episode will be a head to head thing from the quote, but yeah in general it sounds like what you describe.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Babish should grab more of that crew.

Bring on Bab Apetit.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

If you read the wheel, one of the possible challenges is "Beat Babish". The format isn't that they always go head to head, that's just one of the potential results of the spin.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

eke out posted:

also she, you know, owned and ran a restaurant as a chef lol

unlike, as far as i know, literally everyone else in the (now former) BA kitchen

Molly worked at a michelin star restaurant. Not too bad.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

you ate my cat posted:

If you read the wheel, one of the possible challenges is "Beat Babish". The format isn't that they always go head to head, that's just one of the potential results of the spin.

That one actually refers to hand-to-hand combat

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Molly worked at a michelin star restaurant. Not too bad.

yeah my point is there's a pretty big difference between briefly working in restaurants after (non-culinary) college and jumping to food media, compared to people like sohla that were basically on track to be lifers -- CIA, then a bunch of elite NYC restaurants for most of a decade, then her (and her husband's) own place, until it failed

though tbf it seems like brad was also a career line cook that kinda accidentally lucked into that job

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 24, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Is there some point to resume waving for youtube cooking shows? I feel like I'm missing something...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Stringent posted:

Is there some point to resume waving for youtube cooking shows? I feel like I'm missing something...

I think that we’re all very happy that Sohla’s got a gig, and with someone we all generally like. We’re just a little miffed at the possibility that it might get played as “Babish is the big shot, Sohla is the underdog”.

We have no idea how that will play it, and Andrew Rea has gone out of his way before to point out that he’s just a home cook who got lucky. We’re just protective of Sohla (she’s awesome, and a treasure!) and going in with the world’s history of famous white guy vs. less famous woman of color, has us a little dubious.

I for one hope that all of our fears are proved wrong on episode one, Andrew let’s her shine, and uses his incredible fortune and platform to lift Sohla (and hopefully others) up. Until then, we’re all just food nerds on the internet with nothing to do but speculate.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I hope she keeps her job at the BA magazine and comes to work every Monday with her middle finger in the air soaking up Conde's money.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

anyways getting the babish thing is really exciting and i hope it does well enough that she'll do more non-gameshow cooking videos with them too

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It sounds like a really good excuse to make wild experimental food like that insane carbonara she did for BA

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

kidcoelacanth posted:

It sounds like a really good excuse to make wild experimental food like that insane carbonara she did for BA

Basically this. Anytime she's allowed to go wild its a good time.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Budgie posted:

Babish should grab more of that crew.

Bring on Bab Apetit.

I definitely think this is the direction he's heading, he's probably just (wisely) starting slow so he doesn't overcomit. That being said, he didn't build a full studio kitchen in his basement to make two fifteen minute videos a week, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's running out of ideas for Basics without reaching for stuff that's not too basic and is looking for something to fill that timeslot if you will.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0fsCXflDCE

it's begins

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
People just ate all the cheese they wanted to eat and then they died.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Budgie posted:

People just ate all the cheese they wanted to eat and then they died.

Is this not how it’s supposed to go? :ohdear:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This was very sweet. It seems to lean a little harder into 'this is what will get us clicks' than 'this is useful/interesting to a home cook' but I guess that's Babish's brand. I'll definitely keep watching because of Sohla's charm though.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Me: I can't wait to see what Sohla can do with her vast culinary knowledge!

Also me: Haha she can't open the jar

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

This was very sweet. It seems to lean a little harder into 'this is what will get us clicks' than 'this is useful/interesting to a home cook' but I guess that's Babish's brand. I'll definitely keep watching because of Sohla's charm though.

Yeah, much of the choices on the wheel are click bait and not something I’m into. “Make it scary,” “make it sad,” or “food illusions” are solid, but stuff like this 18th Century challenge or “one handed” are dumb. Creative limitations > physical limitations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

hey that was a lot of fun! Looking forward to the next Basics With Babish: Firepit Repair

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Kosher salt is literally impossible to find here in the UK, I end up bringing it back from the US.

Kosher salt is just regular salt here because unlike America we dont add iodine by default.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Kosher salt is way more coarse than table salt - I'd say people look for kosher salt more for that than lack of iodine. It's not quite coarse / pretzel salt, but it's closer to that than table salt.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, I’ve had coarse salt, and kosher salt is the saltiest salt I’ve tried.

salt salt salt

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

And yet it's still not as salty as some nerds when Babish says saucepin

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Robviously posted:

And yet it's still not as salty as some nerds when Babish says saucepin

I find it endearing for some reason, like when John Hodgman and Jesse Throrn call robots "row-bits."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's like when Canadians say bagel in that super Canadian way

bag-ul

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Give it the oooooole tappa tappa

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

AnonSpore posted:

Give it the oooooole tappa tappa

And as always, enjooooyyyyyy

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Mu Zeta posted:

It's like when Canadians say bagel in that super Canadian way

bag-ul

I seriously just said bagel to myself 5 or 6 times to figure out if it sounded weird. Americans don't say bag-ul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

enki42 posted:

I seriously just said bagel to myself 5 or 6 times to figure out if it sounded weird. Americans don't say bag-ul?

Bay-guhl