Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was like a baby. I played Star Wars when I was in single-digit ages so I don't think there's much time before me being self-aware and having seen Star War: episode Movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I hear 8 year olds love hearing about trade wars.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Episode 2 was coming out and my friends wanted to see it so I watched eps 4-6 and 1 beforehand. The OT was good except for the singing cg things on Jabas palace at which point I almost stopped watching (I've only ever seen the special eds)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

We’d gotten a Nintendo 64 basically the day it came out and one of the launch titles was Shadows of the Empire, which quickly interested me. I think the well known ‘Faces’ VHS set was quickly borrowed from a family member. Shortly after was the 20th anniversary of A New Hope so the OT movies were back in theaters and I saw them all there too.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm sure I saw it as a single-digit-age kid but I didn't really get it until I had VHS copies I could watch over and over and over, probably around 12.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Single-digit age watching VHS copies of the original movies that my parents had taped off the TV. I then saw all the Special Edition versions in the cinema when they were first released when I was about 11. I ate most of that up, but even then I knew Han shooting second was dumb as poo poo.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Young enough that we had to ask my friends older sister to read the opening crawl for us.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My dad had the original VHS releases so around 5-6

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
My best friend's mother worked at the first multiplex cinema in Yonkers NY back in 1977 when I was 12 and I spent the entire Summer, as often as I could taking the Number 7 bus to Central Avenue so I could eat free popcorn, down free sodas and watch Star Wars over and over again in air conditioned, comfortable seated glory.

There were other movies playing, of course- but I couldn't tell you off hand what they were.

I must've seen Star Wars at least 30 times that Summer...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Probably 4, maybe 5

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

My best friend's mother worked at the first multiplex cinema in Yonkers NY back in 1977 when I was 12 and I spent the entire Summer, as often as I could taking the Number 7 bus to Central Avenue so I could eat free popcorn, down free sodas and watch Star Wars over and over again in air conditioned, comfortable seated glory.

There were other movies playing, of course- but I couldn't tell you off hand what they were.

I must've seen Star Wars at least 30 times that Summer...

Musluk... :stare:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
No idea. I became one with the force in 1984, regardless.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I have known star wars as long as I can remember. This is partially due to my incredibly lovely memory, and probably even more due to having brothers who were obsessed with it.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I saw it at the cinemas when I was 5. might've fallen asleep once or twice.

saw the Christmas special soon after, but always thought it was a half-remembered fever-dream until the internet

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
7 years old, original run, in the theater. My aunt took me, she said we were going to see a romance movie, and I wasn't very excited about that.... But, hey, movie.

quote:

saw the Christmas special soon after, but always thought it was a half-remembered fever-dream until the internet

SAME! I had a weird memory through the 80s of a cartoon boba fett on a dinosaur.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 21, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm not sure. Easily when I was a small child, because my dad was really big into the Star Wars movies. We had the CBS/FOX trilogy boxset which if I remember right had some brief "making of" featurettes on them before the actual movie.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

8 years old, video. never cared for wras, only terk

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

star war...star war never changes

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Probably about 5 years old. We had the trilogy on CED (basically a vinyl movie) and I'd watch one of them almost every weekend when my cousin would sleep over. I always like Empire due to the snow battle!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
We always just had the tape so I don't remember seeing the OG star wars the first time, but I DO remember borrowing the other two from my aunt at like three, and watching them some time before the phantom menace, Which we saw on the biggest screen possible. After I saw that one I played with a tiny plastic spaceship I got from a gumball machine.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
ROTJ (the best one) came out when I was only about 1 year old, but I got to grow up with the OT on bootlegged VHS (:hellyeah:). I'm pretty sure I watched that poo poo from being 3-4 years old and on. Luke Skywalker was, is, and always will be a hopeful and earnest hero in my eyes.

I saw the SE and PT in the theaters, and saw TFA in 4D. TFA is when I got off the ride. It was treading a path I had already been down with JJ's reboot of Star Trek into Action! and Special Effects! and Lens Flare!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not sure. Easily when I was a small child, because my dad was really big into the Star Wars movies. We had the CBS/FOX trilogy boxset which if I remember right had some brief "making of" featurettes on them before the actual movie.

HELLO IN TVLAND!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think the first time I saw Star Wars (which is the movie's real title, not "A New Hope" or "Episode 4") I was in second or third grade, and my school set up a reel-to-reel projector and showed it to us in the cafeteria. So 7 or 8.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

docbeard posted:

I think the first time I saw Star Wars (which is the movie's real title, not "A New Hope" or "Episode 4")

:hmmyes:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I think I was 3. We had the last pre-SE VHS release, the “Faces” box set

shasta_
Sep 24, 2020

A real asshole.
I was 12. My parents bought it for me Christmas of '94. Thanks parents...

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I'm not sure if I was too young to see the first movie in theatres or just too young to remember it, but my main memory of the first movie was the copy my folks taped off HBO for us, so I always remembered seeing this right before it started. Empire Strikes Back I was young enough I remember being scared at the Darth Vader fight at the end; little kid plus dark theatre and Vader lunging out at Luke drove me crazy then. But I was a huge fan as long as I can remember, my dad even made a "lightsaber" for me out of PVC pipe that amazingly enough I did not destroy everything in the house with swinging it around as much as I did. Also we used to play pretending my dad was Darth Vader, I was Luke, and my sister was Leia, which got funny as hell in retrospect after ESB/ROTJ. Also got to see midnight release of the Episode IV re-release with my cousin, which was fun as hell, loved the energy and enthusiasm in the theatre then, even the long line getting in was fun.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Probably 7 or 8 when my parents got the Special Edition on VHS.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I think I just turned 7? It was around the same time Phantom Menace came out, so my dad rented the "Faces" VHS copies to prepare.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MadDogMike posted:

I'm not sure if I was too young to see the first movie in theatres or just too young to remember it, but my main memory of the first movie was the copy my folks taped off HBO for us, so I always remembered seeing this right before it started.

Yes! I remember several of our movie tapes starting off with that too!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I have a memory of watching it on CBS on lovely, fuzzy over antenna in black and white in the late 70s, but since it's first network broadcast was in 1984, it must have been a "making of" show. I definitely remember seeing the Holiday Special live.

When I finally watched it on betamax, I had read the marvel comics, listened to the radio adaptation, and even the novelisation. And after seeing both ESB and ROTJ in theaters. It felt like I had actually seen it when I definitely had not.

(It's easy for me to believe those who were convinced that they saw the Tattooine Biggs scene; a shot of it was in the visual storybook and it was in the marvel comic adaptation. I "saw" it to even though it was never in any released version of the movie. Such deja vue to actually, really, truly see that deleted scene when it was released on the Blu rays).

I'm positive the first time I saw ANH in theaters was in 1997.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I grew up in the 90s during a relatively fallow period for Star Wars, where the majority of the stuff was EU-based. I was aware of Star Wars from like, SNES games and cartoon references, but I thought of them as these really old pieces of crap. The Special Editions were relatively new and I remembered thinking "Oh what is this?" and having my mind blown at 10 years old. "WHAT OMG WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE TALK MORE ABOUT THIS?" before finding out that yes, the Prequels were coming. Oh more optimistic days...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think a similar story to most, the prequels were coming out so we rented the special editions on VHS. I think I was 7 or 8?

Funny thing is I never got around to watching The Phantom Menace, I got given the novelisation instead. Probably the better choice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Technically I saw Star Wars in 1977, if only because my mom was pregnant with me when my parents went to see it. I am pretty sure I saw Return of the Jedi in theater, as that would have come out when I was 5.

I did have a lot of movies when I was a kid because, as I only later realized, my uncle was a huge video pirate and would rent movies and copy them, and then give them to me. I probably watched one of the Star Wars, STar Trek or Indiana Jones movies every single day growing up after school. I'd even act out the movies with my star wars action figures while I was watching.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My family had some bootleg copies of the trilogy in the 90s. I vaguely remember my dad and uncle hooking two VCRs together to copy my uncle's tapes at some family Christmas gathering. I'd guess I was 4-6 when I first saw them so early 90s. For some reason I got the impression that they were pretty obscure/underground so I was very smug about knowing about these awesome Star Wars movies that very few people had ever heard of.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I saw the original in '77 when I was twelve. I saw the movie three times in the theater, one of those being a late night showing or a drive-in, I don't remember. The ad in the newspaper kept getting smaller and smaller but it was still going for a good six to eight months. There weren't VCR's at the time but I got an LP called the Story of Star Wars.

Great movie to see at twelve and it's still a great movie, although now I really understand the technical elements of the movie.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 7, 2020

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I watched them all backwards on VHS when I was like 8 or 9: starting with Return of the Jedi ( I remember thinking it was pronounced Jed-ee, not Jed-eye) Empire, then New Hope. Return of the Jedi had the coolest box art, which is why I wanted to watch that one first.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I didn't see my first star war until I was like 11 and it was one of the prequels.

I remember really digging the heck out of it, too, which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It was A New Hope when I was five or six.