Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

I suck at bikes. I fitted a Garbaruk long derailleur cage to my sram rival 1 RD on my Raleigh Stuntman as outlined here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFzCwjlH4E

Parts seems to fit well. I just can't seem to get shifting adjusted right. I gave up last night but will try again today. I watched the park tools video and the sickbicker video too. Might try the sickbicker method today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly4wDlMWR9o

By some sort of miracle I got everything shifting correctly. Not the fault of the equipment, its just being worked on by a dummy. I need to get a picture of the bike in its current state but all I can say now is... ULTIMATE. CLIMBING. POWAAARRR. It's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i lost my rear end saver :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
better than losing your rear end

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My butt hurts

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

getting a lot of conflicting information here

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

iospace posted:

My butt hurts

69.84mi 4:26:36 3,855ft
Do you even climb bro?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you want to play that game i can post my july and august stats.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

:cripes:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Always
Be
Climbing

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mikemelbrooks posted:

Do you even climb bro?

Hell, I did today

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mikemelbrooks posted:

Do you even climb bro?

:jerkbag:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

jamal posted:

If you want to play that game i can post my july and august stats.
Make sure you tag that nsfw

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

spf3million posted:

Make sure you tag that nsfw

This is how i spent my labor day weekend

made for a 465mi, 50k foot week. I was close to that like 9 weeks in a row but I doubt I could do it for a whole year.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 24, 2020

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Friendly reminder that there is a pretty active goon bike discord.
https://discord.gg/7P3gzXR

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

That's a silly amount of climbing. Most I've managed is like 5k over 70mi and it wrecked me. I must do it more

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Next summer the wife and some of her sons are planning on doing a 50/20 hike on the Banks-Vernona trail here in Oregon, I love hiking but I hate hiking for that long.

So im doing my first century ride on that trail. Any place I can read about doing centuries and poo poo?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

Always
Be
Climbing

All
Climbs
Are
Bastards

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

bicievino posted:

All
Climbs
Are
Bastards
says the guy with the national track jersey

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

bicievino posted:

All
Climbs
Are
Bastards

Come live round here, I've had to go out of my way to give today's 85k as much as 600m of climbing.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

100 meters per 10 km is how the roads are here. You can always find all the hills too if you zig zag.

I wreckin I like climbin on account u gotta go down too. I figure you find yourself on the up, and you catch yourself on the down. Ain't no more truth in this world than keeping the rubber side down.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 24, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Chinatown posted:

I took a video on my bike ride today. :kiddo:

https://i.imgur.com/cjDnU38.mp4
permission to buzz the tower :madmax:
:thumbsup:
this is rad, the naval base and shipyard i live by definitely doesn't have a decommissioned nuclear aircraft carrier right there

i did get to see the Zumwalt while it was in Victoria though, from a distance that is

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 24, 2020

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

It was a 3 hour drive to get to a part of the state where I could climb 4616 ft over 122 miles.

Staying local I got 2907 ft over 150 miles.

I could always head to Boyne City and follow one of these routes, http://www.michiganmountainmayhem.com/mmmspringclassic/course-info/

Nothing too fun local though. Jealous.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Unfortunately decommissioned nuclear aircraft carriers aren’t likely to become museum ships. The Enterprise is actually the first nuclear carrier and the first to be decommissioned. It had its reactors removed, and that meant cutting a huge hole in the hull.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

TobinHatesYou posted:

Unfortunately decommissioned nuclear aircraft carriers aren’t likely to become museum ships. The Enterprise is actually the first nuclear carrier and the first to be decommissioned. It had its reactors removed, and that meant cutting a huge hole in the hull.
as far as i know canada has banned nuclear powered vessels from our harbours entirely

any ways.... this is the bike thread and i actually love to visit america and i cant wait to go over to hurricane ridge in the olympic peninsula again

also i want to ride from victoria to seattle and back pretty much as soon as its allowed

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 24, 2020

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble

numberoneposter posted:

as far as i know canada has banned nuclear powered vessels from our harbours entirely

any ways.... this is the bike thread and i actually love to visit america and i cant wait to go over to hurricane ridge in the olympic peninsula again

also i want to ride from victoria to seattle and back pretty much as soon as its allowed

The RSVP ride is pretty nice, very chill vibes. Lots of extra CBD treats to grab in bellingham.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

jamal posted:

made for a 465mi, 50k foot week. I was close to that like 9 weeks in a row but I doubt I could do it for a whole year.

Nice!

I got this climb that starts just 7 miles away from where I live

After that you can keep going for another 13km for an additional 600m of climbing (https://epiccols.com/climb/vallenevado)

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 24, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

El Laucha posted:

Nice!

I got this climb that starts just 7 miles away from where I live

After that you can keep going for another 13km for an additional 600m of climbing (https://epiccols.com/climb/vallenevado)

That looks like great fun. If you did the bulk of the climbing already you might as well keep going.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Chinatown posted:

I took a video on my bike ride today. :kiddo:

https://i.imgur.com/cjDnU38.mp4

San Diego. The Midway.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
There’s no way super cheap Rapha gear on Wish is legit, right?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

oh hell no

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I know this is from a while back but I'm from Blairsville and hiked that section of the ghost town trail a lot back when it was still a railroad. Your video left me as nostalgic as a person who successfully escaped western PA can be.

Although - it was strange to see an entire half hour video of a person riding a bike through that part of the state without having one beer can whipped at their head by a passing truck. The place has changed a lot in the past 20 years!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I'm in the same boat here. The Conemaugh Dam section has so many cool details and is such a satisfying ride in the fall. Definitely miss those trails.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Clark Nova posted:

oh hell no

Ok, I figured as much. I don’t own any cycling clothing yet and would love to hear about decent brands you guys like.

From a graphics/visual design perspective, I like Capo and Biehler stuff. Rapha and 7Mesh both seem cool but expensive. I don’t want to play roulette on Amazon.

What’s a solid A-/B+ brand to start with?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Racmmer is good on aliexpress.

Of the dozens of china kits I’ve bought I’ve really only ever been let down by one kit. Size up until you get a feel for asian sizing.

Speaking of china kits:
Trash Kits were delivered yesterday, I get back from work on the 9th, they will start shipping out shortly after that.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Weembles posted:

I know this is from a while back but I'm from Blairsville and hiked that section of the ghost town trail a lot back when it was still a railroad. Your video left me as nostalgic as a person who successfully escaped western PA can be.

Although - it was strange to see an entire half hour video of a person riding a bike through that part of the state without having one beer can whipped at their head by a passing truck. The place has changed a lot in the past 20 years!

My wife is from Johnstown, as far as I can tell he spends as much time as possible staying far away from US 22, which is a good idea whether you're on a bike or not.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Of the dozens of china kits I’ve bought I’ve really only ever been let down by one kit. Size up until you get a feel for asian sizing.

Speaking of china kits:
Trash Kits were delivered yesterday, I get back from work on the 9th, they will start shipping out shortly after that.

Where is your domestique to ship the packages for you? No sporting director? Smh

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Where is your domestique to ship the packages for you? No sporting director? Smh

I love you guys but I’m not going to subject my wife to printing, labeling, and packaging 40 kits lol

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

e.pilot posted:

I ordered a jersey and bib from them and read about their sizing for a bit. Thanks!

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Anza Borrego posted:

Ok, I figured as much. I don’t own any cycling clothing yet and would love to hear about decent brands you guys like.

From a graphics/visual design perspective, I like Capo and Biehler stuff. Rapha and 7Mesh both seem cool but expensive. I don’t want to play roulette on Amazon.

What’s a solid A-/B+ brand to start with?

I'm very happy with my bibs from ww.theblackbibs.com . My brother bought a couple of their jerseys and vest as well and likes them. The 'race' jersey is kind of "club cut" (i.e. a little baggy around the sleeves) while the Pro and Pro Aero jerseys have that nice tight, pro-looking fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I almost never order non-china kits anymore unless there’s a good schtick to be had.

One piece skinsuits are kind of hit or miss but I’m only just starting to get into china skinsuits, I’ll probably figure out the trick to those eventually.