Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
To be sure, Benadryl has its use as a treatment for acute allergic reactions. Our daughter has a handful of food allergies, so we have it in the diaper bag and at home in case she accidentally eats something that has an ingredient she's allergic to. Obviously anything serious gets the epi pen, but mild reactions are pretty easily treated with benadryl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah for us Benadryl has only been recommended for allergic reactions. Anything cold/nasal related and she recos Zyrtec instead.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Benadryl also is decent at suppressing nausea, so if it's a reaction to food it can help both with the allergic reaction and with keeping food down if they've been throwing up.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Zyrtec doesn't dry you out like Benadryl does, so it's not useful for preventing coughing and post-nasal drip the way Benadryl is. I find zyrtec is generally useless in young kids because they probably don't have allergies, they have a cold that causes congestion/sniffles.

Edit: In my experience Benadryl is the strongest antihistamine on the market, and the only reason I don't take it daily is that the side effects suck. But when my allergies get so bad that Allegra+Xyzal+Flonase aren't enough to function, I take Benadryl (and then a nap).

The one not-bullshit part of the article is that it is a bad sleep aid, akin to passing out drunk.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 26, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hadlock posted:

Not trying to be snarky, honestly curious, do they recommend it as a kid-safe off the shelf sedative, or is there another reason, maybe as a general anti inflammatory or something, with the side effect of knocking out your kid

Huh. So I've now gone through the whole book and read everything he says about benadryl (the book has an index).

He mainly does recommend it as front-line treatment of mild allergy symptoms, especially rashes and eczema. He does not mention using it for treating colds. He once mentions people asking about using it as a sedative for flying, and says that neither the AAP nor he recommend that.

Reading around a little, I think the main reason it is recommended for allergies is that it is more efficacious than second-generation treatments, but with the downside of drowsiness. e.g. St Louis Childrens' hospital says "Use loratadine mainly if drowsiness from Benadryl interferes with function." And while young (pre-K) kids are doing a lot of hard work developing their brains, it's not like they need to operate dangerous machinery or meet performance goals to avoid being fired.

https://www.stlouischildrens.org/health-resources/dosage-tables/loratadine-claritin-dosage-table

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Reading around a little, I think the main reason [benadryl] is recommended for allergies

Pure speculation, but I suspect another reason why benadryl is still sold at all is that it's a household name, it's what your mom gave you, what your mom (their grandma) is going to recommend for them because it's what they always have had access to and generic benadryl has been around for over 50 years, it's what people reach for when they think "allergy medicine". It's hard to dislodge that kind of market leader

Generic claratin only came on the market in 2002, generic zyrtec in.... 2008 I think. Grandma only knows those as prescription drugs, and the average lay person thinks most prescription drugs have dangerous side effects. Grandma's not going to suggest you get little billy or Laura prescription drugs when "safe" benadryl is available at every gas station in the country

TL;DR I loving love loratadine, it has no side effects for me, and benadryl puts me to loving sleep almost immediately, gently caress benadryl

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It was awesome when my first kid was old enough to finally take a cough suppressant. I hate all the websites are like oh but it doesn't actually do anything to stop the sickness. No poo poo but at least he can sleep more and not wake up coughing.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I guess I've never thought about it, but does claritin or similar drugs help with skin reactions to things, either like food allergies or poison ivy?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

marchantia posted:

I guess I've never thought about it, but does claritin or similar drugs help with skin reactions to things, either like food allergies or poison ivy?

I'm not a doctor but I think most allergic reactions are caused by the release of chemical signal histamine.

I know if I scratch my cat a lot and then rub my face I get itchy, and if I mow my parents lawn I'll get a rash, and loratadine basically neutralizes the allergic reaction within 25-30 minutes

Pretty sure food allergies release histamine as well, but I could be wrong, I don't have much experience with food allergies, but almost certainly, yes, to your question

Poison ivy is actually a toxin designed to disrupt biological processes, an antihistamine would reduce redness etc nearby, but it's not an antidote to the toxin found on the plant

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

marchantia posted:

The answer is "it depends". There's a lot of different systems and mechanisms that fall under "food allergy". You should talk to your doctor/allergist about your specific case.

I am mildly allergic to a lot of foods, but some are worse than others. The doctor gave me a chart of foods and common pollens that share similar structures to those foods. When just the pollen or just the food is in my system it can be fine, but the combination of the two pushes me above my tolerance level for it and I get a reaction.

For example: I can eat strawberries fine in the winter, but in the summer where I live it makes my throat swell up and get scratchy because stuff blooms that's really similar to the proteins found in strawberries. So depending on the season I avoid some foods, or I can take some allergy medicines that will help with the issues I have. But you need to talk to your doctor about your specific allergies to know for sure, it's not a blanket catch-all to say that antihistamines will solve your food allergy problem.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Our pediatrician recommended Benadryl to help with our kid's eczema/dermatitis whenever he starts really scratching at his scalp. She said it inhibits how good it feels to scratch, and so while it may not fix the underlying issue, it keeps him from irritating it further. It does seem to help him sleep when he can't stop scratching at his head, even though it doesn't seem to make him drowsy otherwise.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

:canada: Canada

:britain: UK

:vuvu: South Africa

:negative:

My kid's Dad was born in South Africa but he has Australian citizenship and has lived here for the last two decades. Last year he deliberately let his SA citizenship expire because the paperwork to renew his passport and documentation was just too much of a hassle.

Anyway, kid talk. Any feedback on lotions that work well for eczema/dermatitis in the elbow and knee ditches? Dermaveen doesn't seem to work anymore. We've got a prescription cortisone cream that is great for flare-ups but if there's something I can use as a preventative in between, that'd be great.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

bee posted:

Anyway, kid talk. Any feedback on lotions that work well for eczema/dermatitis in the elbow and knee ditches? Dermaveen doesn't seem to work anymore. We've got a prescription cortisone cream that is great for flare-ups but if there's something I can use as a preventative in between, that'd be great.

Try aquaphor? Its basically just petroleum jelly with some moisturizers added in. They have a baby specific version, but I think the normal formulation is safe for children too.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
We use Eucerin Baby Eczema Relief. It’s somewhat pricy but seems to keep flare ups to a minimum.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
We use the Aveeno baby eczema emollient balm. Comes in a big tub and lasts a good while. I use the non-baby version for my winter zombie hands and my derm likes it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

in_cahoots posted:

We use Eucerin Baby Eczema Relief. It’s somewhat pricy but seems to keep flare ups to a minimum.

Both of our kids had mild eczema flareups when they were young and this is what we always used as well.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've read two pages of the thread before getting tired and just asking. If, since the start of Covid-19 (oh gently caress it, I mean our strength of will broke down), our 2.5yr old kid sucessfully completed their bed invasion protocols and comes into our room, unopposed, every night between 11-midnight (goes to bed 7-8pm)... how do we fix?

Also, put plainly, what are we trying to fix? TBH 2 adults and a toddler do fit into a king size bed.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Does it bother you to have them come in at night or do you just feel like you should fix it for other vague reasons? This is a stressful time for parents and kids so if it's making things easier and no one is really bothered, I'd say just roll with it.

If it is bothering you, there are a few different things you can try to keep them in their beds, but it definitely involves waking up and effort in the nighttime hours.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

^^right. If everyone is getting the sleep they need and it doesn't bother you, you can just keep on with it for now.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I hate kids waking me up so I just quietly put them back in bed every time until they get it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

We have been having a tough bedtime for months. Usual routine, but our kiddo at nearly 2.5 now has insisted we stay in with him while he falls asleep. So we started trying to train him again, as he used to be able to fall asleep on his own. The first night, after like no fewer than thirty times between the two of us putting him back in bed quietly and without interaction, we decided to leave the door open and walk out. Magically he stayed in bed this time and fell asleep. Other than getting out of bed once or twice after we walked out every night since, he’s much easier to keep in bed and fall asleep sometimes a lot quicker than he used to with us in there distracting him. I believe it’s just good for him to know we are right outside and he can hear us, rather than to feel isolated in his room with the door closed. We eventually close the door once he’s asleep enough for us to do so without waking him up, so the next thing to tackle is him waking in the night so frequently and getting pissed when the door is closed. But if we don’t close the door he will certainly come into our room and try to crawl into bed with us. The night wake ups are really loving with us, especially me, and it’s been happening for awhile. We feel like once we get him to sleep more independently and he gets used to it, the hope is that he will either wake up in the night less frequently or be more willing and able to fall asleep without our presence in the room.

My counselor (who is a PhD in child developmental psych) made a comment when I was relating to her my problems with depression and sleep, that it would be good for him to learn to sleep with a little noise going on outside his room, after I asked her how he’s supposed to fall asleep with us doing things in the kitchen or living room or whatever.

Sarah posted:

Is it possible to remove the toys from the room for night time? Lock away in a closet or put into another room? That way the stimulation is gone.

We unplug the lamp now, he still has a cool nightlight, and we removed the toys he stands on to turn on the overheads. The lights are the catalyst for this, I’m fairly sure—knowing he can turn them on and then doing so, seeing he can play with his toys and easily staying awake with the lights on.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

life is killing me posted:

My counselor (who is a PhD in child developmental psych) made a comment when I was relating to her my problems with depression and sleep, that it would be good for him to learn to sleep with a little noise going on outside his room, after I asked her how he’s supposed to fall asleep with us doing things in the kitchen or living room or whatever.

I don't have much concrete advice to offer but I agree with that in general. I like to think the kid can see it as a comfort to hear that mommy and daddy are alive and doing whatever they are usually up to in the evening. The clicking of a keyboard, the hum of appliances being used, someone doing dishes or whatever. What I don't think is as conducive to good toddler sleep includes most sounds coming out of a TV. It's generally pretty "exciting" and energetic.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Hey I know I’ve read a few people talking about a clock or something that tells kids when it’s time to get up. We’re going to transition our toddler to a bed soon and I’d love something like this to start before she moves from the cot. Any suggestions?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

life is killing me posted:

We unplug the lamp now, he still has a cool nightlight, and we removed the toys he stands on to turn on the overheads. The lights are the catalyst for this, I’m fairly sure—knowing he can turn them on and then doing so, seeing he can play with his toys and easily staying awake with the lights on.

I replaced the lamp bulb with a red bulb because my daughter always wanted more light on in her room. I eventually had to get her an amber reading light as well.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

femcastra posted:

Hey I know I’ve read a few people talking about a clock or something that tells kids when it’s time to get up. We’re going to transition our toddler to a bed soon and I’d love something like this to start before she moves from the cot. Any suggestions?

We got a gro clock when my daughter was about two. You can set it so it changes colour at certain times so it signals to your kid that it's still sleep time or it's ok to get up. She's almost seven now and she still uses it :)

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So if anyone's looking for something to get a ~3-year old, we just hit a massive home run with Magna-tiles. I don't know what's so different from the blocks/duplos she had before, but our daughter has been playing with them non-stop for the last week. Even got an expansion set yesterday that she was massively excited to open.

Also they're really fun to play with.

femcastra posted:

We use the Hatch Rest. It's a programmable light/sound machine, and the new version (Hatch Rest Plus) has a clock on it and a battery back-up. Uses a smart app so who knows what the future holds, but so far we've been really happy with it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Magma-tiles are awesome, even our six year old likes to used them in conjunction with legos to build stuff.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah magna-tiles and magformers are absolutely worth it. Even when they can get pricey. It's one of the few consistent toys in our house this past three years (from age 3-6). Now the 15 month old has discovered them and loves them too.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I mean she spotted the new box yesterday from a mile away. Like she was in the bathroom with Mom and the door was barely cracked an inch. I walked by thinking it was safe to stash them somewhere for later and suddenly I hear, "Did Daddy get more mag-ah-nuh tiles? Let's open the new mag-ah-nuh tiles and play with them!" :3:

edit: for god's sake, she even declined Sesame Street in favor of playing with them. They're more powerful than Elmo. We'll see how long this lasts, but this is the strongest reaction to a toy she's had so far.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 28, 2020

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

DaveSauce posted:

We use the Hatch Rest. It's a programmable light/sound machine, and the new version (Hatch Rest Plus) has a clock on it and a battery back-up. Uses a smart app so who knows what the future holds, but so far we've been really happy with it.

Also have the Hatch Rest! I love it. We do not use the wake up feature yet. But I noticed over the last two weekends she stays laying down at nap time until the program I run for nap turns off (2 hours). So it may be time soon to start using the wake up desire.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
That Hatch Rest looks great! I was just going to go with a Gro clock but I’ve since read quite a few negative reviews where they stop keeping time and stop working in general.

The only issue is I already have white noise for the toddler and I’m reluctant to fork out so much money. I suppose we can take her white noise machine in our room. I have slept so soundly with white noise since our newborn has been room sharing with us.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

We got the $25 dollar Ok to Wake clock from amazon as we already had a dohm sound machine. Not the most stylish but it serves its function well for us.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I know it's mostly venting but holy poo poo, my 4 yr old is going to be the death of me. He refuses to try doing potty training at home despite going weeks at daycare without a single accident. He lies to us constantly about it and other stuff. I hate to get stern with him about this junk but it feels like he'll never progress past this stage. :sigh: I'm sure it's all normal 4 year old stuff but I hate it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

oh man that hatch rest looks great but so expensive even at 80. I think I'll need to learn how to use my alexa dot for her while I try to figure out how to get my little one to take normal sleep breaks. He napped for 6 hours last night, woke up at around 11 and then stayed up for a bit before sleeping for 5 hours and then waking up again. With a kid going to online school, this is so difficult.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My 4yo is still spotty at potty training, but she has improved a lot lately. At the beginning of the year she was very resistant.

What I settled on was making her go before eating, watching TV or getting in the car. Otherwise, I don't ask (she hated being asked to go potty). If she has an accident, she changes and cleans it up (we have spares and rags handy in the bathroom).

Edit: I drilled my 2yo on how to read a clock because I'm too cheap for a Hatch.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Our 4 year old has peeing absolutely down. The kid can hold it when he needs to and uses the toilet like a champ, whether it be his own potty at home or peeing at a rest stop or on the shoulder of a busy highway.

But gently caress me it's a struggle getting him to poop. He'll go stretches where he's totally fine and gets good bms but then a day later will start withholding poops and saying he's worried it will hurt.

It's driving us absolutely bonkers with the inconsistency. I'm sure he'll get it eventually but can we just fast forward to the part where it's already done and we don't have to worry about it anymore?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
With our oldest we had a bunch of false starts at potty training, where she would have a good first day or two but then lose all interest and run out of the bathroom to pee on the floor or she would ask us to put a diaper on her because she had to poop. When she became potty trained it was not really anything profound that we did, it just mentally clicked for her. On Saturday she was not potty trained, then on Sunday she was.

Also, all of the guides say not to bribe kids for things, but we have found it worked extremely well when nothing else was. When she was refusing to potty train bribery worked. When she was not staying in her own bed at night bribery worked. She would come into our bed every single night and the various alarm clocks would do nothing. When she would get a little treat in the morning she immediately started staying in bed 95% of the time. Then as she got more comfortable we stopped offering rewards and she did not even ask for them. I think we started off with 2 M&Ms or a small marshmallow and a sticker for her chart for potty training for a point of reference. She was definitely trying to game the system by going to the bathroom every 30 minutes for more candy, but she did it on the toilet at least.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 29, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a "how to deal with being the husband during delivery" write up

I imagine most of it involves providing moral support + approving whatever weird stuff comes up during the delivery

That said, 99.995% of all pregnancy/childbirth literature is written for the benefit of the mother. I guess technically I don't even need to be in the room but some sort of male oriented primer would be nice to browse through. I can't even imagine what to begin searching for

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
There's nothing to be male oriented. Just be comforting and empathize with your partner who is going through tremendous pain. Be encouraging when she feels like she can't go any further and know when to step back if needed because that trope-y "I love you but get the gently caress out of my face" moment you see in movies and on TV absolutely happens ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Hadlock posted:

Is there a "how to deal with being the husband during delivery" write up

I imagine most of it involves providing moral support + approving whatever weird stuff comes up during the delivery

That said, 99.995% of all pregnancy/childbirth literature is written for the benefit of the mother. I guess technically I don't even need to be in the room but some sort of male oriented primer would be nice to browse through. I can't even imagine what to begin searching for

Be a normal person and support your wife in whatever she asks of you? It's the easiest part, you don't need a manual for it jfc