Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
No, Calli's at 0 too. Ina won both weeks 1 and 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Tonight's Collab recapped:

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Callie won a Golden Yagoo for the warmup game in Week 2, but I don't know if she counts it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Gura pulling up the bridge was inspired tactics

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Yeah, she commented earlier in the stream she had one from the warm up game, but I’m not sure if it officially counts.

Even with the technical difficulties, I really enjoyed the stream. Kiara running and getting bullied to joining Callie in death was really funny and enjoyable. The holomyth group in general are really comfortable with each other and have great rapport. Cover knocked it out of the park with the talent they scouted.

I’ve joined Callie and Watson because they really have fantastic streams that have been accessible in my timezone. I only have so much money so I’m undecided if I want to join Gura and Ina even though I love them. Kiara is such a dumb bundle of join that I can’t resist joining her though.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

https://youtu.be/xzh7fi6M7bA

Goddammit, I love this wholesome duck. I need the bird duo to do a collab stream once the hololive en month restriction is lifted. The two of them would be so fun to watch together.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Where can I find a V-Tuber 101 so I can get acquainted with the blossoming industry?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Grouchio posted:

Where can I find a V-Tuber 101 so I can get acquainted with the blossoming industry?

What exactly do you want to know? Who is popular? The business side of it?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CJ posted:

What exactly do you want to know? Who is popular? The business side of it?
How it all started, and the two things you mentioned.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
https://youtu.be/E9ce4WsDCQE

The origins to Haato x Watame make me :unsmith:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Pekora subs stuff is all really good.

Their movie stream translations are top quality though

https://youtu.be/WgKbNDYch9w

This one with mio korone and subaru is really good.

Matsuri/luna watching ghost shark was super excellent as well.

They're all good tbh, I haven't watched fubukis yet though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Jerkface posted:

Pikamee got a 1500 NT red sups that was basically like "ur the only reason I'm not killing myself", that must suck to get heavy stuff like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H02Xl9tZzpY

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Grouchio posted:

I don't know of any concise summaries of that stuff, but here's a video with clips of what Hololive JP are known for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkwQ76DgPE8

It's a bit out of date and doesn't have gen 5, and it tries to say something positive about all of them which makes it a bit difficult to tell who is actually good.

Here's a list of their subcounts so you can compare relative popularity.

https://holo.poi.cat/youtube-channel

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

they're all good, hth

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
no time spent watching a vtuber is wasted

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That video does also have the n-bomb in it, as a warning I guess.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I still remember when Hololive was the the Tokino Sora show starring Tokino Sora (featuring Friend A)

it was real real boring

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

CJ posted:

Here's a list of their subcounts so you can compare relative popularity.

https://holo.poi.cat/youtube-channel

Why’s Kagura Nana on this list?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

she is ayame's and spade echo's artist, but they don't have Shigure Ui so uh, no idea. I guess she does have the hololive style "CH." in her youtube account

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TheFlyingLlama posted:

she is ayame's and spade echo's artist, but they don't have Shigure Ui so uh, no idea. I guess she does have the hololive style "CH." in her youtube account

They do have Shigure Ui on that list, you might just not have her enabled

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Grouchio posted:

Who the best is depends on what you're looking for. Vtubers are just like any other streamers but lean more towards "pure entertainment" over things like video game gameplay.

Good "entry" vtubers are:

Pikamee - she is almost 50/50 english/japanese and has an overall funny personality and plays games. She also streams a lot.
Pekora - Japanese vtuber with a funny voice, she has very good comedy chops but no english. Plays variety.
Korone - Meme'd vtuber that plays variety and tends to make lots of cute sounds
Coco Kiryu - Variety streamer that speaks english, very good in collabs. She has english karaoke streams (not in archive) - and does meme reviews which are like 40/60 english/japanese.

if you like FPS
Matsuri
Fubuki
Towa
Botan

The first 3 play alot of Apex, Botan plays COD

If you like "interesting" variety streamers
Miko
Luna
Subaru
Haachama (akai haato)

Singing vtubers
Towa
Watame
Polka
Kanata

All but Pikamee above are hololivers, which is a company that reps the vtubers. They just debut'd 5 english speaking vtubers and they're all pretty good.

Mori - rapper
Kiara - Niche is going towards half Japanese/half English variety
Ina - Draw streams and chill
Amelia - FPS and whatever weird indie games they get permission for
Gura - Rhythm games and some other stuff

If you're just jumping in you should probably just look up some subtitled videos from hololive and see who catches your fancy.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 27, 2020

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

the above post is bad cuz there's no aqua or marine in it.

watch any of them until the vtuber toxoplasmosis sets in and its all you watch, all you think about, and all you are.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IMO, watch Nijisanji

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
just use this

https://twitter.com/akaihaato/status/1305508825932288006

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Magna Kaser posted:

the above post is bad cuz there's no aqua or marine in it.

watch any of them until the vtuber toxoplasmosis sets in and its all you watch, all you think about, and all you are.

He did say entry level and Marine's power level is extremely high

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

haato's full hachaamachaamaification is 2020 personified.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

homeless snail posted:

IMO, watch Nijisanji

watch both

drink deep the cup

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Shipon posted:

He did say entry level and Marine's power level is extremely high

Yea you have to be THIS tall to watch Marine.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

as a fellow boomer i identify with marine, the 17 year old second season pirate captain vtuber.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/theSirToasty/status/1310104468759998464

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Grouchio posted:

from the perspective of someone who has been aware of this stuff since the beginning the timeline is something like
2016: kizuna ai debuts in december, coining the term "virtual youtuber."
2017: more virtual youtubers start to appear, some inspired by kizuna ai. siro, mirai akari, nojaloli, and tokino sora debut, among others. kaguya luna debuts in december, her eccentricness catches people's attention
2018: luna directly or indirectly leads to japan finally "realizing" the appeal of virtual youtubers and their popularity explodes across the board. kizuna ai reaches 1 mil and then 2 mil subscribers. an order of magnitude more vtubers debut. vtuber groups start to appear. vtuber companies like nijisanji, hololive, and .live debut their first waves of vtubers. there is a shift towards streaming compared to the popular contemporaries, who were mostly making videos.
2019: vtubers start seeping into japanese mainstream, starting in the latter half of 2018. things like vtubers making appearances in well-known events, holding concerts, collaborations with cooporations for ad campaigns, etc. a really mediocre tv series starring popular vtubers is made. streaming is solidified as the most popular format. the majority of popular debuts are coming from nijisanji and hololive. less vtubers debut than the year before.
2020: (i stopped paying attention at this point) quarantine influences popularity boom in the west. more english vtubers debut. vtubers become popular enough in the west to make a thread on somethingawful.

i could write more about some of the eccentric parts (like indie vtubers) and i skipped over drama but that's the gist of it.

a 2018 video about why people connect with virtual youtubers, interviews with the founder of kizuna ai's company and kizuna ai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zZwjRmMWcY

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_9pGc_qP9s

Kiara is live and her new mic sounds great!! She also has memberships available. So excited for our Kusotori!

EDIT: Only has 1 tier of membership at $5 and has a developing image depending on how long you're part of the membership.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 27, 2020

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

So far only the other EN hololivers have membership tiers, right? IIRC all the Japanese crew is basically 1 tier of perks but you can opt to throw more money at them if you want.

Interesting cultural divide, since most of the HololiveEN crew (+ Artia) are influenced by twitch culture.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Nine Nijimen are starting a singing stream relay, starting from Akina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF5UwBmIN9c

Pretty sure he's already well past 100k yen in superchats five minutes in, heh.

E: Hit 200k subs too.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 27, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

So far only the other EN hololivers have membership tiers, right? IIRC all the Japanese crew is basically 1 tier of perks but you can opt to throw more money at them if you want.

Interesting cultural divide, since most of the HololiveEN crew (+ Artia) are influenced by twitch culture.
Nah a handful of them do have multiple tiers, off the top of my head Suisei, Matsuri, and Haachama

Not Hololive but Debi Debi Debiru has a second tier of membership where the perk is just "Debiru will be able to eat an ice cream"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Kiara is singing now and Pekora is getting major loving comeuppance in fall guys this is the perfect game for her to stream, its just endless choking and anguish.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Magna Kaser posted:

haato has the base tier with the emotes, a $7 tier for archived member vids, and a $10 tier she made just to see how many zealots she had

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kiara singing bluebird on the runback let's gooo

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Space Flower posted:

haato has the base tier with the emotes, a $7 tier for archived member vids, and a $10 tier she made just to see how many zealots she had

I knew a lot had higher tiers but no real perks associated with them (like the debidebi one), but I noticed hololive EN doing it more.

just my ignorance on the actual monetization!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Magna Kaser posted:

I knew a lot had higher tiers but no real perks associated with them (like the debidebi one), but I noticed hololive EN doing it more.

just my ignorance on the actual monetization!

Only Mori had higher tiers with perks from EN, but she had the misfortune of revealing her membership first and isn't as experienced with streaming. Given that the rest of ENgen is gonna undercut her membership by running straight JP model I think she will likely swap back after she gives the people who signed up for 1 pay cycle their moneys worth.