Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

simmyb posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to show off in the thread my new shoes I finished last week:

I feel like these should have a big yellow MAWIC logo taking up most of each shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TobinHatesYou posted:

I hate this.

Peak performance, etc.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the best part about biking in fall is the crackling of leaves beneath your tires, and also the fact that the water in my bottle magically transforms into delicious apple cider

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Peak performance, etc.

More like beak performance. Ha ha Ha.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Can someone remind me what tape code name I'm searching for that works really well as a tubeless rim tape?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Skarsnik posted:

Can someone remind me what tape code name I'm searching for that works really well as a tubeless rim tape?

5 Roll High Temp Masking Tape Kit for Powder Coating, Painting, Hydrodip, Sublimation - Green Polyester 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" & 1" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UCBIX1A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IApCFb8VPKN3B

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

You're probably thinking of scotch 8896 strapping tape

e: people have been recommending the tape in the post above lately. I haven't tried it because I have what is turning out to be a lifetime supply of 8896.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I have really enjoyed using the bike to get my lungs back post COVID.

I have a Giant Hybrid, which works well I guess, but when should I take the leap and get an actual road bike? How will I know if I've maxed the potential of my hybrid and it is worth it to spend a lot of money on a fancy road bike to go along with the hybrid.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thanks both :tipshat:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Sab0921 posted:

I have really enjoyed using the bike to get my lungs back post COVID.

I have a Giant Hybrid, which works well I guess, but when should I take the leap and get an actual road bike? How will I know if I've maxed the potential of my hybrid and it is worth it to spend a lot of money on a fancy road bike to go along with the hybrid.

buy the bike that makes you want to go for a ride on it! who cares about potential maxing, get out and have fun.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
3M 8992 is the secret sauce (or the generic equivalent linked above)

3M 8896/8898 has meh adhesive.
Tesa 4289/4298 also has meh adhesive and meh conformity/elongation.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Development posted:

buy the bike that makes you want to go for a ride on it! who cares about potential maxing, get out and have fun.

I bought a bike for long rides after trying a fee long distance rides on my hybrid commuter and getting a few too many aches and pains. I'm buying a single speed next after remembering how fun they are on short trips to friends. You'll always find new bikes to help you enjoy new types of riding.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I bought a bike for long rides after trying a fee long distance rides on my hybrid commuter and getting a few too many aches and pains. I'm buying a single speed next after remembering how fun they are on short trips to friends. You'll always find new bikes to help you enjoy new types of riding.

That is the thing - I have done a number of 30ish mile rides on a hybrid commuter and have never had an issue with aches and pains.

I guess this bike works for me, the benefit of a fancy road bike might be minimal unless I want to get into something different.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/rubydrummr/status/1310287396408299521?s=19

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

legend

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Can anyone verify correct rim tape width for Giant P-R2 wheels? Everything appears to be lying to me.

I see 17mm and I also see people claiming that the stated width isn't right

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 28, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Had an absolutely gorgeous ride down the Columbia River Hwy to Multnomah falls today. Weather was just otherworldly perfect. 10/10 will ride again someday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4121856913/

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 28, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

Blew work off today to go ride a century. Wish me luck!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
nailing the MAMIL look (this is a good thing)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Blew work off today to go ride a century. Wish me luck!

buy this stuff

https://www.ebikejerseys.com/bike-jersey/mcdonald-s-bike-jersey.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I already have those bibs; give me something fresher.

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
Did a chill 100km with the wife yesterday on a MUP and holy crap the ebikes were everywhere. I’m generally in favor of them but from what I saw a lot of the riders lack the skills to pilot a 50 lb machine safely on a mixed use trail, especially at 15-20 mph. Feels like it’s only a matter of time until someone gets run over and the knee-jerk reaction is to ban all bikes and then we’re all screwed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
but are they more dangerous on MUPs than tribike riders???

E) for actual content, the covid boom knockon effects are still annoying. Thankfully I can get 7 speed chains again, but SPD pedals have vanished from the earth, apparently. I've got a pair of Deore XT SPDs that I'm guarding like precious jewels at this point.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 28, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

colonel tom posted:

Did a chill 100km with the wife yesterday on a MUP and holy crap the ebikes were everywhere. I’m generally in favor of them but from what I saw a lot of the riders lack the skills to pilot a 50 lb machine safely on a mixed use trail, especially at 15-20 mph. Feels like it’s only a matter of time until someone gets run over and the knee-jerk reaction is to ban all bikes and then we’re all screwed.

Eh, there have already been incidents like that in Washington State and that sort of reaction hasn't happened - just more restriction of different classes of e-bike.

imo the kind of folks who are dangerous and oblivious to their surroundings on e-bikes are similarly dangerous whatever they're doing - strolling down the MUP with their dog on a 50ft retractable leash, or walking smack down the middle of it with headphones in, or running you over as they check their phone while pulling in to a parking lot.
All told I'd rather have em on a bike of any flavor than any of those other things.

Apr 7, 2003

Gonna go lay down and die now

Apr 7, 2003

Hell yeah

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

nice work tori. enjoy that post-ride coma

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

good job dude

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hell yeah, I did the GAP a few weeks ago. It poured rain the entire time. I hope it was better for you.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Got a basically new Giro Syntax MIPS helmet for $50 bux (120 new) from some dude who definitely wasn't a biker off OfferUp.

:shrug:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

How idd you get back tho?

e: i now notice this was an out and back ::banjo:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Got a basically new Giro Syntax MIPS helmet for $50 bux (120 new) from some dude who definitely wasn't a biker off OfferUp.

:shrug:

Mmm sweaty used helmets of questionable providence.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I want a lefty Topstone and I can’t justify it.

Thanks for listening to my story.
#groad

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

gamera009 posted:

I want a lefty Topstone and I can’t justify it.

Thanks for listening to my story.
#groad

have you considered that nothing matters?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Mmm sweaty used helmets of questionable providence.

fits great :c00lbert:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Helmets are up there with bibs on the list of things to never buy second hand

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Skarsnik posted:

Helmets are up there with bibs on the list of things to never buy second hand

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

have you considered that nothing matters?

Agreed, give in to decadence and debauchery because we’ll all be dead in 20 years

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Been thinking about swapping out my hybrid commute bike for a cyclocross next year, do they generally have a more upright posture than a standard road bike? I've had a road bike before and the extremely hunched position you had to be in to grip the brakes properly didn't work for me at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

multijoe posted:

Been thinking about swapping out my hybrid commute bike for a cyclocross next year, do they generally have a more upright posture than a standard road bike? I've had a road bike before and the extremely hunched position you had to be in to grip the brakes properly didn't work for me at all

A cx bike might have a more upright posture but a “standard” road bike could be anything from a race bike to an endurance style bike. You’d need to look at the actual geometry to see. What was the road bike you had?