Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

They could also sell off Holo CN and focus on Holo international considering Holo EN is taking off harder than any other division they have

But you know, Chinabux I guess?

You have to consider how your actions are going to affect all your employees. If China wants you to apologize then you will apologize or they'll just keep ratcheting the pressure until you bend.

MonsterEnvy posted:

You replied to what they could do. They could tell China to gently caress off. It would not hurt them too much.

The biggest loss would be the Hololive CN girls, who admittedly could get screwed over pretty hard, and it could get bad for them. Edit:Which I would not approve of as they did not do anything wrong.

Once a CCP officer is paying attention you can not do that because they are vindictive as poo poo and they will hurt you, and badly. You would need the help from the Japanese government to help you out (just like right now they are helping JP factories to relocate outside of China) but, unlike the Chinese gvmt, the Japanese one doesn't usually get involved in such trivial poo poo, 'cuz it can grow into a full diplomatic issue. So it's best to offer some insincere apologies, do some public show of remorse, and comply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ah, yeah. I forgot about that, duh. But yeah my point is more just that holoCN existing doesnt actually protect them if the Chinese govt decided to flex their muscles some more.

HoloCN existing does not protect them of course. But if Cover did not give into what China wanted, then there is a good chance China's anger would be taken out on HoloCN who at the least would all lose their jobs.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Also Civia and Artia being outside China still leaves 4 inside China.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cover sucks but this thread is basically devolving into the pr version of guys who talk about how theyd stop bank robberies with their white guy kung fu and walmart handgun

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Selling off HoloCN in this example would be spinning them off into their own company or selling the rights to the characters and contracts to another company not firing the virtualtubers and kicking them to the virtualcurb.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
It's really lovely but if they can make this go away with the 3 weeks off that's probably the best course. Of course if they demand something stupid extreme like Coco and Haato getting fired, or abandoning Youtube and only streaming on niconico/bilibili they can get hosed.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
anyway who's looking forward to genshin impact amirite

wonder how long it'll be before theres a hololiveJP promo for it?

i didn't know it was going to be FTP though, for some reason I thought it was buy in.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 27, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tabletops posted:

Kiara ain't 🙃

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is the holo live EN collab vids online?

These, right? They're kept as vods on the channel of whoever hosted it that week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkbXdXbs8vk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQI4yf7ZgHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObtSn2EONGQ

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 27, 2020

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
also hopefully this doesn't get lost in the suspension talk but tsukino mito and 2 other niji girls went through a giant haunted house thing in minecraft.

it was really elaborate and very cool. Deserves views. It's not translated but it's still super entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBdDlEMX5oA

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Also, I haven't seen anyone talk about it, but I think the reason Coco is the focus is because she's from the US, I don't think the people going after her care that she is living in Japan and has lived there for many years, the is from the US and that is a giant mark against her, especially with how ridiculously anti-China the US government has been under Trump.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Its not the only reason but its a def. factor. I mean her bilibili subs are also way lower than people shes 4x as popular as on youtube.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also, I haven't seen anyone talk about it, but I think the reason Coco is the focus is because she's from the US, I don't think the people going after her care that she is living in Japan and has lived there for many years, the is from the US and that is a giant mark against her, especially with how ridiculously anti-China the US government has been under Trump.

I think the bigger thing is that (everyone thinks) she did it intentionally after Haachama did it unintentionally to take heat off of her. Also, based on the bilibili numbers I saw she was already unpopular over there compared to elsewhere.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tabletops posted:

wonder how long it'll be before theres a hololiveJP promo for it?

i didn't know it was going to be FTP though, for some reason I thought it was buy in.

I would be kind of surprised if you saw Genshin on hololive for a bit considering Kiara was super excited to stream it and announced this morning that she was told she wasn't allowed to for "adult reasons".

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SpartanIvy posted:

It's not a foreign private corporations job to protect Chinese citizens from their own government

It kind of is the company's responsibility when they're working with those citizens. Maybe they shouldn't have brached out to China in the first place, but given that's the situation that's already in place, you cannot say that it is moral to just to throw all of these workers under the bus and to the mercy of the Chinese Government.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjUgEN9kM_U

ZA CARROTTO

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Kanos posted:

I would be kind of surprised if you saw Genshin on hololive for a bit considering Kiara was super excited to stream it and announced this morning that she was told she wasn't allowed to for "adult reasons".

i assume relations will normalize at some point and they can resume cross promotion stuff.

i'm pretty sure the bulk of their revenue is promotional and stuff, not super chats. I have no idea how like 30% of 3 million in super chat revenue would keep a company of 200+ afloat for more than a few weeks.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Julias posted:

It kind of is the company's responsibility when they're working with those citizens. Maybe they shouldn't have brached out to China in the first place, but given that's the situation that's already in place, you cannot say that it is moral to just to throw all of these workers under the bus and to the mercy of the Chinese Government.

I mean I don't think they should abandon China or the HoloCN branch but there is no solution here where they don't throw their workers under the bus.

Obviously in this case, a few weeks suspension and an apology isn't a lot to pay if it mollifies the CCP or whatever though. But I also feel like people are being very overdramatic in general about how much the CCP gives a poo poo, both about the Coco situation and in this theoretical scenario against the HoloCN girls.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Close, but not quite. Chinese education teaches that Japanese are a brutal and barbaric people. Japan, notably Japan through the lens of WW2 atrocities that are clearly still relevant to the state of modern Japan because China says so, is a convenient boogyman for the CCP to deflect and blame if bad things happen in the country. Race riots against Japanese are a thing that happens from time to time in China. For anyone drinking the cool aid, Japan is not any better than the US.

This is an attack. Coco is simply the bigger target. It's not about ideological consistency, it's about inflicting maximum damage. The people complaining the loudest are not fans. Anyone who was a fan and is discontent would simply unsub and stop supporting Coco as they have. These are people with an axe to grind and are simply going after the juiciest target.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Tabletops posted:

I have no idea how like 30% of 3 million in super chat revenue would keep a company of 200+ afloat for more than a few weeks.

Wait Cover Corp has 200+ employees? What the gently caress do they do?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think japanese ww2 warcrimes are still relevant to modern japan in the sense that their politicians still regularly visit a shrine to a bunch of guys who got a warcrime top score and refuse to acknowledge a lot of the things they did. Like obviously the chinese government uses those facts for deflection but that doesnt make the complaints invalid.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Cappy posted:

Haha, no. They have like a couple dozens.

https://www.topionetworks.com/companies/cover-corporation-5ed5fc1f105eb511567d67cc

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

I can't find any informations about this as well.
My guess would be about 50 people tops, Vtubers not counted.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Endorph posted:

I think japanese ww2 warcrimes are still relevant to modern japan in the sense that their politicians still regularly visit a shrine to a bunch of guys who got a warcrime top score and refuse to acknowledge a lot of the things they did. Like obviously the chinese government uses those facts for deflection but that doesnt make the complaints invalid.

honestly looking at japanese government, civics and party rule Japan is I think one or two major incidents away from totalitarian government. this is slightly hyperbolic but the views of the top political groups in japan for the last 60 years (basically since after ww2) seem only a few rungs down from a pretty ugly conservative government.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Tabletops posted:

also hopefully this doesn't get lost in the suspension talk but tsukino mito and 2 other niji girls went through a giant haunted house thing in minecraft.

it was really elaborate and very cool. Deserves views. It's not translated but it's still super entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBdDlEMX5oA

Yeah they've been doing the Minecraft stuff for a couple of days now and they've been very good even as someone who doesn't care much for Minecraft, the amount of effort that's gone to making that stuff is nuts. Rin is fearless while Kaede has enough fear for both of them.

That one is apparently an older version of the challenge from 2014, they did the 2020 one too a couple of days back and talked with the creator about how some of the stuff worked afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp8iIHp13bE

They also did a mystery hunt for the 7 wonders of the Maekawago world yesterday which is also a cool concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-5YfzGKwQY

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
afaik they've expanded dramatically in the last 5 months.

edit: I can't remember where i found the 200 figure, it was either in this thread or one of the streams.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

here's their jobs listing, they're hiring, right now!! Unity programmers, ios programmers, broadcast engineers, managers. There is actually a lot of poo poo that happens behind the scenes, believe it or not
https://us.wantedly.com/companies/cover-corp/projects

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

homeless snail posted:

here's their jobs listing, they're hiring, right now!! Unity programmers, ios programmers, broadcast engineers, managers. There is actually a lot of poo poo that happens behind the scenes, believe it or not
https://us.wantedly.com/companies/cover-corp/projects

Someone take this ios programmer job and add Pekora to the got dang AR app already.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's also the people who produce these each week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpTAqjljvzg

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Endorph posted:

Completely fair, but that doesn't justify fear mongering to the point of racial motivated hate crimes. I mean that holds true in all countries, not just China. The point was just that, in a general sense, Japan does not receive anymore love from China than the US does.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

But I also feel like people are being very overdramatic in general about how much the CCP gives a poo poo, both about the Coco situation and in this theoretical scenario against the HoloCN girls.

On one hand the NBA still is/was not aired in China after the restart (the league didn't do poo poo when the Free Hong Kong thing blew up though) and on the other a young girl behind an anime avatar read youtube statistics and was already thrown under the bus. So who knows where this falls, but honestly seems too small fish for the gov't to deal with. I think what Cover was not expecting is the size of the backlash they're getting from the Western audience right now. What's funny is they're about to go back into the office in a few hours and walk right into a shitstorm (again).

I think the best thing for them right now is to basically take Coco out of China and have her broadcast exclusively on youtube, she doesn't make them money over there and it's not worth the headaches. At the same time this whole thing probably has endeared her even more to the Western audience, so she'll come back with even more popularity over here. Would not be surprised if the EN girls stayed low-key this week.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 27, 2020

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
On the side of good news, Miko has uploaded a new music video! It's currently tagged for Membership folks only, but it's great to see her slowly but surely getting back in the saddle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkYmeEkQ4lU

In the description, she mentions that she and the management are just about done deciding on her return date, though it'll be a bit before they announce it.

Furthermore, she mentions that she was blown away by all the people that joined her Membership during her downtime.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

CubeTheory posted:

Someone take this ios programmer job and add Pekora to the got dang AR app already.

Not even all models in the app are working correctly.

They just repacked some MMD models they released before.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hololive has at least 27 employees. Tanigo and A-chan though Z-chan.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LOL, kinda related to VTubers, I just got a new $20 webcam from Amazon and spun up Facerig which I got through some bundle a while back. Bought the $4 Live2D DLC and became an anime.

Pretty cool and the tracking is comparable to real VTubers. I was impressed by the pupil tracking, which can dart all around as you look at different parts of the screen.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tabletops posted:

afaik they've expanded dramatically in the last 5 months.

edit: I can't remember where i found the 200 figure, it was either in this thread or one of the streams.

I've worked at companies that did explosive hiring like this. It was never a good idea.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

LOL, kinda related to VTubers, I just got a new $20 webcam from Amazon and spun up Facerig which I got through some bundle a while back. Bought the $4 Live2D DLC and became an anime.

Pretty cool and the tracking is comparable to real VTubers. I was impressed by the pupil tracking, which can dart all around as you look at different parts of the screen.

We're starting Something Virtual once the deal is done.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lurking Haro posted:

We're starting Something Virtual once the deal is done.

God, don't even joke about it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'd have become a vtuber months ago if my internet was good enough, I can be your yagoo though, I'm pretty incompetent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Who is the Haachama of SA