Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did Cindy explode that CIA lady's head remotely or did they have to cart her out there to crush her line of sight?
Cin likely needs line of sight. Otherwise she could have popped Lamplighter at any moment. Or remote-bopped Stormfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

The car pulls over to pick her up, as indicated by the fact that he activates his turn signals while he's pulled over. Something that would be decidedly difficult to do without a head.

One funny thing I noticed. The bullet marks on Cindy's backs from getting shot are mysteriously missing when she gets into the car. I like to think she decided to track down a change of clothes before leaving. :v:

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice
Sounds like keeping SA open was a mistake.

Edit: It's me. I am the sea-lion kramer.

EditEdit: Mods are Nazi Enablers I guess.

EditEditEdit: I enjoy The Boys and I hope lube man makes another appearance, he is the hero we need, but is he also a Nazi?

Marux fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 27, 2020

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Marux posted:

It's me. I am the sea-lion kramer.

I'm doxxing you right now:

So, talking about the headpopping lady. Would that work on a super like translucient? I know his skin is super tough, but his guts aren't, so I assume she could mash stuff up inside of them.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

spacetoaster posted:

I'm doxxing you right now:

So, talking about the headpopping lady. Would that work on a super like translucient? I know his skin is super tough, but his guts aren't, so I assume she could mash stuff up inside of them.

I have a feeling we're going to find out!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can't help but wonder how the hell they kept cindy in the cell to begin with.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 27, 2020

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

veni veni veni posted:

I think she may only be able to manipulate metal. We see her pop heads (iron in the blood being the excuse), rip off the other patients' doors which are definitely metal, and crush the metal gas canister, and nothing else. Meanwhile when Lamplighter accidentally burns her door open it doesn't melt like metal, it looks more charred like wood.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

veni veni veni posted:

They said they were keeping them doped up but it's still kinda silly, yeah. I also don't really see how the logistics of using her to pop Raynor's head works - Vought wheel her out conscious and free enough to blow up someone's head and she doesn't just kill them instead? Why would she do dirty work for the people who are using her for a lab rat? Was there some reason I'm not remembering why they couldn't just tell Homelander "hey this CIA agent is snooping around where she shouldn't be, fly over there at the speed of sound and laser her real quick"?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

How they're keeping her in the cell is a secondary question to "how exactly were they testing the skills of the lady who hates them and can pop skulls with her mind when she's conscious?"

Don't think about this one too much.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, that's a good question.

There might be some kind of supe-nullifying material they keep them near, or maybe a drug that nullifies their powers.

If that's the case then that may be why the vought CEO is so calm around homelander.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just drug them up and pop them with mild hallucinogens when you need them so that they can be Super Hypnotized and then put back into drugsleep!

It's very comics.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

veni veni veni posted:

Kraft Dinner, a double helping when she behaved. Did you even watch the episode?!

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

The car pulls over to pick her up, as indicated by the fact that he activates his turn signals while he's pulled over. Something that would be decidedly difficult to do without a head.

This, plus if she blew up the driver do you really think this show would miss an opportunity to show the windows of the car suddenly, explosively covered in blood?

It never even crossed my mind that she exploded the driver for that reason alone

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The trans stripper line in this episode really sucked. It wasn't even particularly offensive on the grand scale of jokes about trans people, you know? There's no slur, no super comical overreaction from MM, but as mild as the joke was, it still pulled me right out of the episode and left my mind focused on what the writer's intent even was there. Were they even trying to make a joke, or was this some misguided attempt at defining Frenchie as the tolerant one? It was just so unnecessary, and now I'm left wondering if the writers think I'm a walking punchline or not.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sio posted:

The trans stripper line in this episode really sucked. It wasn't even particularly offensive on the grand scale of jokes about trans people, you know? There's no slur, no super comical overreaction from MM, but as mild as the joke was, it still pulled me right out of the episode and left my mind focused on what the writer's intent even was there. Were they even trying to make a joke, or was this some misguided attempt at defining Frenchie as the tolerant one? It was just so unnecessary, and now I'm left wondering if the writers think I'm a walking punchline or not.

It was awful yeah. They've done a great job of scrubbing the Garth Ennis from the show but that was a moment where it bled all the way through.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

That was such a good half of a movie. And such a wasted half of a movie.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Kraft Dinner, a double helping when she behaved. Did you even watch the episode?!

Did he actually call it Kraft Dinner?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Someone asked this a few pages ago, (thread moves fast though) and people talked about the drug compound that was mentioned along with compound V, maybe there's some way to mix them or use one alone and drug the supes.

But my first thought (possibly because of the movie Glass not too long ago) is that each of their individual cells could have some mechanism that weakens them, but if the door is busted open then they could slip out and regain use of powers.

But still runs into

Alchenar posted:

How they're keeping her in the cell is a secondary question to "how exactly were they testing the skills of the lady who hates them and can pop skulls with her mind when she's conscious?"

Like, at some point a person who can pop heads with their mind is gonna be able to pop heads and escape unless you just keep them unconscious 24/7. How do you test it without her using it on you?

But also they somehow use her as a weapon to kill Raynor so IDK. Maybe its like with Kimiko and she has a brother that they have locked up somewhere else, some kind of leverage like that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Maybe her room was coated in something that negated her powers, but agreed, it’s nothing to get hung up about.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Not knowing what she'll be like in future episodes, she didn't seem to be in full possession of her faculties when she walked out of the room and she seemed to be pretty suggestible. Maybe she was still doped up and progressively sobered up as she made her way out of the building.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Edit: wrong thread

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was kinda obvious that she's normally on propofol(sp)? He even mentioned it happened before when the doc hosed up a dose. She looks loopy as gently caress when she first gets out of the room.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sio posted:

Regarding the characters themselves, none of them gave off any transphobic vibes.I really like how progressive the show is when it comes to dealing with issues like that. But I can see how the joke is offensive and in bad taste.

I did not expect MM to be comic relief, but he's had some of the best lines of the show. The utter look of disgust when he educated Starlight about dry wiping reminded me of this classic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 28, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bioshuffle posted:

None of the characters give off any transphobic vibes.

Ah, you're the expert on transphobia, rather than the trans* posters in this thread. Makes sense.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Breakfast Burrito posted:

This, plus if she blew up the driver do you really think this show would miss an opportunity to show the windows of the car suddenly, explosively covered in blood?

It never even crossed my mind that she exploded the driver for that reason alone

I was expecting it, honestly. But when it didn't happen I assume someone actually picked her up to give her a ride.

And I know the thread's brought up different levels of bulletproof the supes have, but Cindy kind of shows how they really have two kinds. People like Cindy and Maeve and HL and Starlight are straight up bulletproof, but Noir and Kimiko seem to just heal from it real quick.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I initially thought she might have blown the driver up but the car pulls over and stops and yeah that ain’t gonna happen with an exploded head lol

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Why don’t we just wait until Thursday to find out how if Cindy popped the driver or not.

If she did, they’ll show or tell us. If not then no.

Wondering if Stormfront was a Nazi had more productive value.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ah, you're the expert on transphobia, rather than the trans* posters in this thread. Makes sense.
I never claimed to be an expert, but I'm still allowed to have an opinion on the matter. I just don't think any of the members of the boys are transphobic. Especially considering one of the members is bi or pansexual.

That exchange about the strippers felt more like a joke about how bachelor parties are stereotypically filled with all kinds of debauchery with strippers and partying, and MM would rather just do a golf trip.

But as for their comment with the show runner's inclusion of those types of jokes, I can see how it would be distasteful.

I wonder if they'll address this issue at all. All the actors and show runners (note my exclusion of garth ennis from this) seem really progressive and open to feedback.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 28, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I initially thought she might have blown the driver up but the car pulls over and stops and yeah that ain’t gonna happen with an exploded head lol

Did it? I'll admit I watched the ep stoned out my gourd, I just remember the shot being the car passing her, her looking angry, her getting in the car

But yeah in the grand scheme of things it's a very trivial detail

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

I never claimed to be an expert, but I'm still allowed to have an opinion on the matter. I just don't think any of the members of the boys are transphobic. Especially considering one of the members is bi or pansexual.

That exchange about the strippers felt more like a joke about how bachelor parties are stereotypically filled with all kinds of debauchery with strippers and partying, and MM would rather just do a golf trip.

you're allowed to have an opinion but your opinion is wrong. the joke was transphobic and lovely (note: I'm not saying any of the characters are because I'm not interested in that kind of essentialist speculation, just talking about this specific joke) for reasons I posted earlier in the thread:

Me Like 5 Pages Ago posted:

well i am bi and trans, and i'm telling you that this is terribly handled, and completely took me out of the episode. it is exactly the type of transphobic bullshit that's been on tv and film for years and years and i expect better in the year 2020.

like, i'm stoked that you're happy about bi representation because i am too, it's so rare, but as i said previously, the fact he wants trans strippers is not evidence of him being bi, trans women are women and the men attracted to us in a lot of cases are boring old straight guys (just like cis women), only they feel ashamed of it because of poo poo-house jokes like this. i have dealt with the real life implications of this, and it is awful and dangerous.

if the beginning and end of your transgender representation is as a punchline to a joke about trans women sex workers that carries the implication that attraction to us is ~exotic~ or makes you in any way not straight, it's transphobic as gently caress, and it's not any different to the media representation that's been happening for years and years that we are a) 'really' men pretending or b) exoticised freaks.

side note: the 'with or without nuts' line sucks - tons of trans women including sex workers don't have 'nuts'

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Bioshuffle posted:

it's about the intent of the writers and the lived experience and reactions of the trans audience based on those lived experiences.

If you have a particular frame of reference, you'd be better off critiquing the show from that lens, rather than invalidating trans voices (no matter whether that was intentional).

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Breakfast Burrito posted:

you're allowed to have an opinion but your opinion is wrong. the joke was transphobic and lovely (note: I'm not saying any of the characters are because I'm not interested in that kind of essentialist speculation, just talking about this specific joke) for reasons I posted earlier in the thread:
I was just talking about the characters themselves and how I viewed their interaction. We're basically in agreement when it comes to the characters. I'm just here to talk about the show and the characters in general. Nothing beyond that.

Note my opinion wasn't about transphobic nature of the jokes, just about the characters. I can see why that inclusions of jokes like that would be upsetting to you though.

Edit to say I really appreciate you explaining your side of things without blowing up. We've come a long way since Dane Cook used to drop homophobic slurs to thunderous applause, but it seems we still have a long way to go.

boo_radley posted:

it's about the intent of the writers and the lived experience and reactions of the trans audience based on those lived experiences.

If you have a particular frame of reference, you'd be better off critiquing the show from that lens, rather than invalidating trans voices (no matter whether that was intentional).
I don't intend to invalidate anyone's voice. Just wanted to share my take on the characters, and as you see above, we pretty much agree.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 28, 2020

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It was awful yeah. They've done a great job of scrubbing the Garth Ennis from the show but that was a moment where it bled all the way through.

I'm surprised they have done such a good job at this considering it's still produced by Seth "Sausage Party" Rogen. The trans joke sucked but didn't shock me since Rogen's last several projects were just horribly over the line with that kind of stuff.

Just caught up with the last 20 pages of the thread. Last episode was amazing and I'm looking forward to where this season ends up. Cash is amazing, I'm glad to have her in this since You're the Worst is one of my favorite shows ever.

I figure there's no way we don't have someone from the boys get juiced on a stable or nearly stable stolen compound V. If not this season it'll be in the next one.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

And with Bought being a pharmaceutical company it would even make sense for the new stable compound to be temporary rather than permanent. There's more money in a subscription, or at least more control.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Blendy posted:

I figure there's no way we don't have someone from the boys get juiced on a stable or nearly stable stolen compound V. If not this season it'll be in the next one.
I really thought Hughie was going to get a big emergency dose of Compound V when he got impaled.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/WIcziRx.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/mWVLaLc.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/ZVhOJyk.gifv

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

MarcusSA posted:

Her power is telekinesis, so yeah, she could pop someone's head and then pull the car over and stop it.

The fact that we didn't see any blood makes it likely she didn't kill them, but then again, who wants to drive in a car filled with blood and guts? She could have just crushed their windpipe or something to have less mess.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Tip posted:

Her power is telekinesis, so yeah, she could pop someone's head and then pull the car over and stop it.

The fact that we didn't see any blood makes it likely she didn't kill them, but then again, who wants to drive in a car filled with blood and guts? She could have just crushed their windpipe or something to have less mess.

If she killed him, how do you explain the turn signals being activated? Are you telling me she blew him up and decided to activate the turn signals as she pulled the car over slowly? That would be hilarious if true.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/ARkW6B5.gifv