Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ralph Crammed In posted:

A few years ago for my birthday my mom sent me the wedding ring from her marriage to my dad, which ended nearly two decades ago in a mentally scaring way for me and my sister. Plus her ring size is much smaller than mine so now I have this cursed too small diamond ring on my hands I can't get rid of. She usually gives me pretty good presents too so I don't know what got into her, it was a one off.

jewelers can easily resize a ring. you can even have the stone(s) removed and reused in a new ring, probably the metal too

and yeah there's a decades-long marketing campaign trying to convince people that your family's engagement rings are one-and-done can never be used again and if you really love your soon-to-be fiancé you'll buy a new one instead, don't fall for that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Depends. Is the hot dog they're eating as a sandwich circumcised?

this may be the worst creation by humanity ever recorded

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My dad died two years ago and I have his wedding ring; I gave it to Mom, but she developed dementia and kept losing it and being distressed. Now her dementia is so severe she thinks he's still alive :toot:. Some day she's gonna die, and I'm gonna have Dad's wedding ring, hers, and my grandmother's, which she wore as a stack ring after my grandmother died.

I have no idea what the hell you do with three family wedding rings. I mean, melting them down would feel wrong, but I'm certainly not going to wear any of them, and both my children would consider them haunted. They'll probably clutter around jewelry drawers and be handed down through generations as "No, I have no idea what to do with this, I never knew any of the people who wore them" until somebody bites the bullet and melts them.

No, we couldn't bury Dad with his because he was cremated, as will Mom be.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
WIBTA if I reported my boyfriend to the police?

quote:

So my boyfriend goes out with his friends a lot and I know for a fact they smoke weed and do other stuff which in the UK is illegal. I get so worried sick about the effects it could have and although I'm still young I can see myself having a future with him but he doesn't seem to care about it or my concerns and worries. WIBTA if I sent an anonymous tip to his local police station about what they're doing? It's the only thing I can think of that would knock some sense into him and make him see how little he cares about himself or anything around him.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Invisible Clergy posted:

JESUS

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My bf’s(25M) mother wants me(25F) to visit her without makeup on.

quote:

Basically, my boyfriend’s mom said that she’ll never feel comfortable with me until I go over her house with zero makeup on. She told him, “If she’s hiding her face, she’s probably hiding other things.”

My bf has seen my face multiple times without makeup and he still likes me for me. I have PCOS and have old dark spots from acne scars and my foundation covers it perfectly. I think this request is ridiculous and I enjoy wearing makeup. I don’t even wear it heavy and I pretty much look the same without it. He even told her about my PCOS and she didn’t care if it would make me uncomfortable. She wants to meet the ‘real’ me.

Whenever I do see his mother, she avoids eye contact with me and sometimes doesn’t even respond when I’m speaking directly to her. I’m pretty sure she’s just looking for a reasons to justify not liking me. My boyfriend tried to tell me what she was saying made sense, but I thought it was ridiculous. Is it all in my head?

tl;dr: She wants me to not wear any makeup at all when going to her house and I don’t think it’s a reasonable request.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hey now, maybe when she says

quote:

they smoke weed and do other stuff which in the UK is illegal

she means they are smoking weed and also raping and murdering and pillaging

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Invisible Clergy posted:

That famous thing that strengthens a relationship and makes your partner love you more, calling the cops because he and his boys smoke weed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

she means they are smoking weed and also raping and murdering and pillaging

Smoke a little Weed Plus and sharpen yourself up for a bit of the old ultraviolence

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have seen refer madness

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My dad died two years ago and I have his wedding ring; I gave it to Mom, but she developed dementia and kept losing it and being distressed. Now her dementia is so severe she thinks he's still alive :toot:. Some day she's gonna die, and I'm gonna have Dad's wedding ring, hers, and my grandmother's, which she wore as a stack ring after my grandmother died.

I have no idea what the hell you do with three family wedding rings. I mean, melting them down would feel wrong, but I'm certainly not going to wear any of them, and both my children would consider them haunted. They'll probably clutter around jewelry drawers and be handed down through generations as "No, I have no idea what to do with this, I never knew any of the people who wore them" until somebody bites the bullet and melts them.

No, we couldn't bury Dad with his because he was cremated, as will Mom be.
Maybe put them in the urns? It's a real hard situation, I'm sorry for your losses.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Help me Reddit, my extended family is constantly coughing up hairballs. Is this normal?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AITA for telling my sister she needs to be more realistic about her dating standards because she is damaged goods?

quote:

I wasn't trying to be mean, and I only told her this because she asked for a guy's opinion after spending the last year not having much luck with dating. She had a hard time understanding why since in the past she's never had that issue.

I'm not in the habit of beating around the bush when people ask me for my honest opinion, so I told her that she has to come to terms with the fact that her dating pool has changed. She is twice divorced with kids from each ex, so a lot of guys will view her as damaged goods. It's not because there is anything wrong with her per se, but it's a lot of baggage to bring into a new relationship. They have to deal with two ex husbands and three step kids, and that complicates things and limits their relationship with her. A lot of people just don't want to juggle all of that. I would not.

It may have been hard for her to hear, but I stand by that opinion because it's true in my experience. She didn't agree and took offence to what I said, particularly the part about her being damaged goods. She now is refusing to speak to me unless I apologize.

I've asked a few people close to me if I was too harsh, and they all agreed that I could have been nicer in how I expressed my opinion. They don't think I am the rear end in a top hat for what I said but how I said it. I'm just not sure if I agree with that since I don't know of a better way to tell someone that they need to be more realistic because they have too much baggage which makes them unattractive to most people. Saying that is essentially the same thing as saying they are damaged goods.

AITA for what I said or how I said it?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for bringing out expensive wine at my friend's wedding reception?

quote:

I own a lakehouse with a large outdoor space that would allow for a distanced small gathering. Due to this, I let my friends host their wedding reception outdoors at my place to keep it as safe as possible (about 30 people). This place is also pretty secluded, maybe an hour away from the nearest town/store

They had a relatively tight budget, but they did make it quite nice, everyone was enjoying themselves. The amount of alcohol was definitely not enough, and it turned out they had left a significant amount of it back home. Within two hours or so, everything was nearly gone, and they didn't realize they hadn't brought enough and were

I did have some decent wine in the house, as well as some extremely expensive bottles. I figured hey, they're my friends, it's their special day. So i brought out both the regular wine, as well as a few higher end bottles from my collection.

I thought it would be a nice gesture but after the reception, the groom was pissed. He said i had embarrassed them by bringing out my fancy wine after everyone had the cheaper stuff they had brought when I could have just brought out the bottles that were equivalent to what they had brought.

I didn't intend to try to make them look bad, but I guess i can understand why he was upset. AITA for bringing out the expensive bottles?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for telling my sister she needs to be more realistic about her dating standards because she is damaged goods?

I'm just not sure if I agree with that since I don't know of a better way to tell someone that they need to be more realistic because they have too much baggage which makes them unattractive to most people. Saying that is essentially the same thing as saying they are damaged goods.
LOL."I don't know how to say *says the thing he supposedly doesn't know how to say* how is that different from *term that reduces a person to a broken object for sale at a discount*" These ones where people come so close to understanding and still completely miss the point are always good.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

So many creative ways people can use to avoid calling themselves "assholes"

"I don't beat around the bush" is to treating people like poo poo what "I don't coddle or baby my kids" is to child abuse.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

For what it's worth, its highly unlikely the UK police are going to give a single poo poo about her anonymous tip, assuming he's not a dealer or something.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (33 M) wife (31 F) kissed her gay friend. Is this cheating?

quote:

My wife and I have been married for 2 years, together 10.

She has a large group of friends that she’s close to and affectionate with. She hugs her friends a lot, cheek kisses etc. but these have always been women.

She’s never cheated before and has never given me reason to doubt her before.

A few days ago she went out drinking with said friends and told me she pecked her friend Josh on the lips. Josh is gay - like super gay - so I know there was nothing sexual behind it on both sides. Still, she kissed someone else. She said it was a quick peck and that was it, and that it was at the bar in front of loads of their friends so it wasn’t secretive or anything.

I told her I don’t know how to feel about this and I need some space before we talk.

Did she cheat? What do I do? How angry should I be about this?

Tl;dr - think my wife may have cheated by kissing her gay friend. What do I do?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lmao at being upset that a friend of yours gave you a bunch of expensive wine to celebrate your wedding day with.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

teen witch posted:

AITA for not eating anything my mother in law cooks from now on?

I have long black hair and I don't understand how anyone can get long hair in everything. Is she shaking her hair over everything?

Even if it weren't deliberate surely she should be able to see the hair and feel the long strands of hair :barf:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SirSamVimes posted:

Lmao at being upset that a friend of yours gave you a bunch of expensive wine to celebrate your wedding day with.

seriously either the groom is the most fragile bitch ever (possible) or he's leaving out that he made a big point about how EXPENSIVE AND NICE the wine was to try to big dog him or something.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Sodium Chloride posted:

I have long black hair and I don't understand how anyone can get long hair in everything. Is she shaking her hair over everything?

Even if it weren't deliberate surely she should be able to see the hair and feel the long strands of hair :barf:

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh posted:

Edit: Now that I think about it, she has a hairbrush in the kitchen
:gonk:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Sodium Chloride posted:

I have long hair as well, and like to cook, and no one has ever pulled a hair out of any of my food. The fact that she has a hairbrush in the kitchen means she a) is doing this deliberately, or b) knows her hair is shedding at an excessive rate, and is doing gently caress-all to prevent it getting in the food.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my roommate that the name she chose for her baby is ‘ridiculously stupid’?

quote:

My roommate (24f) is a big Game of Thrones fan. She’s pregnant with her first child right now. She decided to name her baby, ‘Arya’. When she asked my opinion of this name, I said I it was a good name with a good meaning (Arya means noble in Sanskrit), but a lot of people have named their kids Arya/Khaleesi/Sansa because of the popularity of GoT and it might be a little too common, not that it is a bad thing.

The next day, which was yesterday, she said she’s found a way to name her baby ‘Arya’ and not have it be associated with other Aryas running around or the show. How? She said she wanted to spell it as Aughreighyah. I did a double take reading that word too, but apparently people are supposed to read it as Augh-reigh-ya or Arya.

She asked me how I felt about it and I told her that, frankly, Aughreighyah looks ridiculously stupid and she should just go with Arya. She got kinda upset and said that she and her partner came up with this only because I told them that the name is very common. I said that having a common name is better than having a confusing name.

AITA?

AITA for not wanting my friend to force his religion on us?

quote:

Yesterday, me and a group of friends were hanging out at my Muslim friend house. There were 7 of us and he’s the only one who doesn’t eat pork. Because of this every time we order pizza, he gets only cheese. I’m sick of him forcing Muslim on us so when he tried that poo poo again, I told him to make one of those pizzas pepperoni. He got mad saying that nobody asked for pepperoni but me. I said it didn’t matter because I want it. Everyone else was telling me to drop it but I said no . He called me a bitch boy he then ordered the pizza with no pepperoni. I dropped it but was fuming throughout the day that he forced his religion on us.

AITA for refusing to take in my biological child and sending him to foster care?

quote:

When I was in college, I got pregnant with my now husband's child. We weren't ready for a child, so we gave him up for adoption at birth to a lovely older couple that seemed like an older version of us. We kept it as an open adoption, and are not embarrassed about it.

Fast forward 3 years, and we had graduated college and were about to get married. The adoptive parents informed us that he had just been diagnosed with autism. We had them at the wedding and everything seemed fine, maybe he was delayed, but nothing serious. The adoptive parents started to pull away from us after we got married. Visits and letters were decreased by their choice. 3 years after that, my husband and I had had a child of our own, and my husband got in an accident that gave him severe brain damage.

My husband went from being an engineer to having a mental age of 8-9 years old. He isn't able to remember things well and cannot work. While he can use the bathroom on his own and physically do his own hygiene, he needs to be reminded. In many ways, he's my second child. He can't be on disability unless we divorced, which would be cause more problems than it would solve (insurance, power of attorney, etc.). So I am the sole support of the household.

The adoptive mother reached out this year, and is begging for help. The adoptive father died of a heart attack, and she's scared than she will die, and her son will be all alone. Nobody in the adoptive extended family will take him because of his extensive needs. His autism is apparently very severe. He can't speak or use the bathroom, and mostly communicates by screaming. He has very expensive medications and therapies. He really, really, needs a stay at home parent because he is often sent home from school early.

I in no way can take this kid in. I'm already essentially a single parent to two kids. I have no time or money to pile this kid's needs on top. I have to work long hours, and can't risk my job with constant absences. I declined, and now she's constantly sobbing to me about how everyone rejects her son and when she dies he'll just be thrown out like garbage because even his birth mother doesn't want him. I really can't do it. AITA?

Edit: it's been 8 years since the accident. This kid is now 14.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for refusing to take in my biological child and sending him to foster care?

This one's awful and sad all around

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (33 M) wife (31 F) kissed her gay friend. Is this cheating?

The only way to right this is for the OP to kiss the gay friend too.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AITA for putting my roommates stuff in their beds when they don’t clean?

quote:

I am the only one that cleans my house of the 4 guys that live here and they’re all very messy and leave their stuff out all the time. Whenever I clean the house (which is almost daily) I leave their stuff that they left out on the couch such as dirty dishes, weed, food, video games, etc in their beds. Sometimes it makes a mess in their bed because the plate has crumbs or ketchup on it and they get mad at me however I have been doing this for months and I tell them I will stop putting stuff in their beds once they start cleaning up after themselves.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for putting my roommates stuff in their beds when they don’t clean?

They will not change, they do not value you or care about you, you need to get out. Also nta.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (27F) boyfriend (28M) forcing his pregnancy ideas on me when I’m pregnant.

quote:

So I’m almost 7 months pregnant and my bf has been great up until July. He used to help me with household chores and make me feel comfortable. In July, I slipped and fell down the stairs and I broke my ankle. My bf was concerned and first but then he was mad at me for jeopardizing the pregnancy. I used crutches for 6 weeks. I told him I didn’t fall on purpose which he still thinks I did. He’s been telling his family that I’m jeopardizing the baby’s health. I then yelled at him and then left.

I went to my friend’s house for a couple of weeks to cool off. I then returned after my phone kept blowing up. Since July, he hasn’t apologized. He’s a completely changed person. He now hangs out with 10 of his friends every week during covid. I told him to stop going, but he never listened.

A couple days ago, he told me he wanted to have a natural home birth. I said no way (there’s nothing wrong with a home birth, but it isn’t for me). He told me it was fair that he got to choose because he wanted to be involved during the birth. He told me he didn’t want me to have an epidural for the birth to make it more “real”. I also have a low pain tolerance level. I told him no way was I having a natural birth. The last thing I told him was “no partner acts like that.” He told me I never listen to him and we haven’t talked since. Do I just listen to him to make him happy? Or do I do things my way and possibly upset him? At this point I really don’t have the energy to keep arguing with him.

TL;DR my bf is forcing me to do things his way and then getting mad at me when I say no.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Cowslips Warren posted:

His friends are correct. He is a bitch boy.

If he doesn't like plain cheese, suggest vegetables or chicken.

Oh, who am I kidding, he doesn't eat those either.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (27F) boyfriend (28M) forcing his pregnancy ideas on me when I’m pregnant.

Wow, your ex boyfriend sure was an rear end in a top hat

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I actually like raw potato. They have to be fresh from the garden, though.

Have you considered becoming our next Prime Minister?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my roommate that the name she chose for her baby is ‘ridiculously stupid’?

there are actual adults at this point who have had to go through life named sephiroth or pnurtis, a tragedy that could have been avoided had someone just said "that's a stupid loving name and your kid is going to spend the entirety of their schooling being mocked and beat up" to the turbo-nerd parents

Cowslips Warren posted:

there were 7 people and they only got one pizza? get one with no pork that muslim guy can eat and whatever on the other. done

Cowslips Warren posted:

this poor girl has some kind of curse on her to be dealt that many lovely hands :(

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cowslips Warren posted:

Speaking as someone who IS Muslim, while pork (heck, all meat from improperly-slaughtered animals) is haram, there's no actual prohibition on buying the stuff for one's friends, especially if there's no risk of touching it with bare skin; it's not like OP wanted alcohol, after all. However, a Muslim does have to be a good host- dude should have totally ordered a fish, extra cheese or vegetarian option for himself.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for giving my kids unequal wedding gifts and honestly one gift sucked?

quote:

I have three children. When my oldest son got married my husband and I paid for the down payment on his house. When my daughter got married we were going to do the same but they chose to live in one of her FILs rental properties so my husband and I paid for all of the furniture. I always assumed that when my youngest son got married we would do something similar.

My youngest married a woman I have issues with. I was actually fine with her for a while, but once she asked me if I wanted grandchildren. I said I didn’t have particularly strong feelings. She began to cry and told me that her mom puts a lot of pressure on her to have kids and she doesn’t think she wants them, but she comes from a traditional family and her mom has called her broken and said she needs mental help.

This stuck a chord with me because I wish someone told me that I didn’t have to have children. I told her that she absolutely is not broken and she shouldn’t have kids if she doesn’t want them. I confessed that I regretted having kids, I resent that no one made it clear to me that I shouldn’t have them if I want enthusiastic, and that bring a mother had been very draining and unfulfilling and my husband and I struggled emotionally with how much we didn’t want to be parents.

That bitch went home and told my son everything I said, and he told his siblings. She said he had the right to know that I didn’t love him, which isn’t what I said at all. Then she implied I was stupid for having kids I didn’t want, but she was considering doing the same, so she can’t be that smart either.

This caused a lot of family drama and I told her that I’ll never forgive her and I’ll never view her as family. They got married last year and I bought them a $50 gift off of the registry. My son still brings it up on occasion, but I feel like I don’t owe them a house when she betrayed me like that.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Piell posted:

lmao

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Piell posted:

The spite against the daughter in law is justified

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Guess the ages!

My [33] boyfriend [54]'s friend [48] was extremely rude to me and I blocked him on Facebook. Was I immature for this?

quote:

So, my boyfriend and I had an argument, and it got heated to the point where he decided to have his friend over, who had been his friend for 10 years, to be the mediator. Problem is, he did the opposite of that. Both of them were constantly picking apart everything about me. The fact that I am more reserved (which his friend thought was me being disrespectful), and even decided to compare me to my boyfriend's ex, specifically saying that I "seem like I don't show enough affection to him". He doesn't even KNOW me, and it shows because I'm actually a very affectionate person. The whole thing was just absolutely unfair, but I sat there and tried to respect him and listen to him with an open mind as much as I could. I really felt like getting up and just walking away, but his friend's views of me to be confirmed. But eventually, I couldn't take it any longer and said to him "I'm sitting here and listening to you, but not one thing you said has been respectful or constructive, it's all primarily just insults." To this, he became infuriated. He straight up said "you're one rude son of a bitch, you know that right? gently caress you." And then gave one of those laughs to make it seem not so bad. Not only did my boyfriend sit there and not to anything when he said these things to me but he also claims to have "not heard him say that". I talked to my boyfriend after his friend had left and I said "Your friend was absolutely disrespectful. Why didn't you do or say anything when it got to that point?", to which he said "This is between you and him not me." So I decided to delete and block his friend on Facebook, as it seemed like the one way to send a message to him without turning it into a heated issue. Eventually, he found out and told my boyfriend that I was "Immature" for doing that, and my boyfriend agreed? I don't think it was immature at all, I felt like I was doing everyone a favor by deleting and blocking his friend instead of firing back at him through Messenger.

Should I have taken another approach? Am I immature for doing this? If this wasn't the best approach what could I have actually done that would've been a better solution?

TL;DR: My boyfriend's friend was rude to me and I deleted and blocked him on Facebook. My boyfriend said it was immature. Am I immature for doing this?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Piell posted:

drat, she flipped it around me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

henkman posted:

drat, she flipped it around me

yea twist of the century right there. I was expecting some 'I comforted her...but I do want grandkids so no house for her' thing but goddamn.