Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://mobile.twitter.com/WardDPatrick/status/1310359703537569795

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/marie_chellie/status/1309923209521836033?s=20

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Trump is gonna be sooooo pissed. I'm here for it.

To be a fly in the wall in the WH right now

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 28, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Well hot drat I was not expecting Biden spox to be discussing urine.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the loving feds didn't go after past presidents for crimes against humanity and civil rights violations, but yea I'm sure the IRS is gonna frog march trump into jail

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Jet Jaguar posted:

When my tax bill for 2016 came due, I got hosed so hard by it. I somehow KNEW that I was paying more than Trump at that point. Nice to know that I was right.

Schoolteachers have to pay for their own supplies and this orange turd can write off millions in business losses for years? That's going to burn really bright for some voters.

Also, if he'd just taken his inheritance and put it into a money market account, he would be so much better off than he is right now. He's a lovely businessman. He's failed at everything he's ever done. The next step in his routine is to declare bankruptcy and walk way, which is what he'll do after he loses the election.

The IRS is a bit softer now then they were in the past (my grandfather committed suicide because of the IRS in the 80s), but it's my understanding they will get theirs, bankruptcy or not.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

the loving feds didn't go after past presidents for crimes against humanity and civil rights violations, but yea I'm sure the IRS is gonna frog march trump into jail

It would be a massive boost to their popularity as a federal organization, which I assume helps them do their jobs more effectively.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

We all know Trump has a piss fetish.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Medullah posted:

I decided I didn't hate myself enough so I popped into /r/AskTrumpSupporters and as expected there's responses ranging from "NYT has more made up anonymous sources" to "Good, he understands taxes are too high, that's who I want working for me" to "he's a real estate magnate, they all have tax returns that look like this"

There are three Trumps.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Young Freud posted:

People knew he wasn't paying a million dollars, but people didn't know that he was paying less than what a minimum wage worker pays (which is about $1809 for a single job minwage worker)/

This is bound to make Republicans reconsider.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Those are normal american president things though, this is decidedly less so

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Judakel posted:

This is bound to make Republicans reconsider.
The exact numbers weren't known before now, but the fact that Trump probably hadn't paid income tax (or at least any significant amount) was so strongly assumed as to be considered common knowledge. Even before the 2106 election, Trump supporters were happy to say "It just means he's smart, why wouldn't a genius businessman use every available advantage?"

I can't imagine this changing any minds. None of this is a revelation, it's just a confirmation of something absolutely everyone on both sides already believed to be true. One side is going to say "See, we told you, this is why we hate him," while the other will say "See, we told you, this is why we love him."

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 28, 2020

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

Most of those things are either not really even crimes at all by a president, or are things with trivially easy defenses. The only thing you can do about clear tax fraud is beg for mercy.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PerniciousKnid posted:

Half a bil in speaking fees from people he has blackmail on.

At this point isn't it safe to say that there are probably more people who can blackmail Trump than people Trump could blackmail?*

*I'm talking about blackmail in the sense of having dirt on them. Considering Trump could always just sell state secrets or whatever, he obviously can blackmail an entire nation in that sense, but you know what I mean.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

sorry this became a loving book

The first thing you have to talk about with Hillary Clinton is Jane Fonda. Half a goddamn century ago, Jane Fonda went to Hanoi on a "peace finding mission." She was a 34 year old activist, actress, and vietnam war critic who took a picture wearing a helmet in an AA gun.

This picture turned her into the poster girl of the anti war left in not a good way, and was used as a battering ram for the rest of the war whenever an activist tried to say something negative. Right wing press and Nixon himself said Jane hated the troops, loved the troop murderers, every single leftist was just like her, etc. Every protest against the Vietnam war became about "hanoi jane."

To this day, if you mention Jane Fonda to a boomer, they will start to salivate. At 82 she's still an activist, and any time her name breaks through to the news of the day, boomers will reflexively think "hanoi jane." They despise her. Most probably couldn't even tell you why anymore. It's just something that has festered and grown over the decades. My mother, who is just the ur loving'est boomer, a person who's not political at all, knows two things; gently caress Jane Fonda for betraying the soldiers, and gently caress hillary clinton.

Hillary started getting negative press when Bill was the governor of arkansas. She was a target for the NRA in the loving eighties. She might have been the worst person to have be first lady during the rise of the 24 hour news cycle and rush limbaugh'ification of political discourse. An entire generation of empty, hollow men sitting in morning traffic on the way to work got to take out their frustrations listening to angertainmnet and drive by media making GBS threads all over a woman who'd done more in her life than any of them would ever dream of. And then these men would come home to their wives and repeat what they'd heard about Clinton's comments on "not staying home and baking cookies" or whatever and the radicalization would begin.

It would eventually get to all the drive time morning shows. If you weren't a nineties kid I can't stress this enough. Every single lower middle class and up white kid in their parents car listened to drive time radio in the morning. And all of them, even the most milquetoast Bob and Sherry Light rock from the 70s, 80s, and 90s would poo poo on the clintons, hillary specifically.

And they were bitter to her. I grew up hearing Hillary getting called ugly, fat, an alcoholic, a lesbian, a failure, someone with an ugly daughter, so ugly that of course bill cheated on her etc. Nothing we hear about anyone today in national politics was so base, vile, and cruel as what was levied at Hillary Clinton in the 90s.

This is to say nothing about what she actually tried to accomplish. Off the bat this was a very moderate healthcare reform. She was actually pretty well suited for this sort of thing. Like the boring vertically integrated corporate style poo poo is very in her wheel house. But one of the reasons the reform fell apart was her association with it. None of the blue dogs of the day wanted to see themselves as allied with her, so things fell apart. She never really recovered from it. Her career as first lady was spent lurching between one political failure to one personal embarrassment and back. A lot of it was the right wing whos conspiracy she correctly derided. A lot of it was just her learning about national politics on the national stage with a husband who did her no favors.

She came in as a paragon of 70s corporate feminism, and ended up covering for her sexual predator of a husband and writing a book about the white house cat.

that poo poo would gently caress anyone up. And it sort of became a defining feature of her personality. I don't think Hillary Clinton is a naturally talented politician. I think there are a lot of things she's good at, but it's difficult for her to relate to people on a personal level. It sucks that in america that's something you need but what are ya going to do. She always tried to present herself as this professional, successful, smart corporate woman with no reason to hate her. And every time she did this the right wing would do it anyway. So from an image perspective, her struggle kind of became her, if that makes any sense. Her struggle never stopped with breaking the glass ceiling of the corporate boardroom. It had to continue. Her entire political career had to be about struggle and being unfairly treated.

Hillary Clinton moreso in 2016 but still a little in 2008 wasn't about offering you specific policies. Her career had taught her that the worst thing you could do was offer something big. She was naturally inclined to confusing, incremental things because that's how the world worked in corporate. Her political instinct became to preemptively undercut the incoming republican attacks because those were the fires she'd been forged in. She became overly reliant on selling an image of herself to voters instead of what she could do for them. That image was one of overcoming personal struggle. Struggle against misogyny, struggle against the GOP, struggle against her cheating husband, struggle against her Iraq War Vote.

When you cast yourself as someone constantly fighting the tides that are against her, you give your opponents an easy rallying point; be the tide. And tides are inevitable.

From a personal standpoint, imagine how infuriating her loss to Obama would have been. She was a politician who had overcome sexism and the GOP. She had learned how to craft specific policy proposals with as few weak points as possible so the republicans couldn't attack her. She had a meticulously crafted public image built around this corporate behemoth who had overcome more than most people could even imagine. She had completely taken over the democratic party behind the scenes and built an entire industry of pollsters and strategists that were constantly seeing What The American People Wanted so she could craft an answer to every question that was guaranteed to get 57% positive response in the key demos.

And then some black guy was like "yeah hope, change, sure whatever" and she got bodied by him. Not only that, but he could knife her on her worst public moment, the Iraq War vote, and Obama did every chance he got. He was younger, his policies had no meat to them at all, and he had overcome just as much socially, if not more, than she had. And he hadn't even had to go through the nineties with the GOP ripping his life apart. He just walked right up and took what was hers. And then she had to go to work for him.

Tracing her politics and how they were formed is a pretty fun exercise. She came out of the post 68 haze where a lot of the professors were shifting from direct activism into political activism. Professors were starting to teach that the way forward was not in the streets. The riots at the 68 presidential nomination in Chicago probably did more to get Nixon elected than anything or anyone besides Sirhan Sirhan. Professors believed that the huge growing suburban middle class would always reflexively vote against the politics of the left. So if the left wanted to push their agenda, they needed to stop pushing politicians left from the streets and start doing it in the halls of congress. If they wanted corporate change, they needed to be in the board rooms.

If you were going to say she had a political philosophy going in to the white house, it was one built around the board meeting and executive vote. She had never been on the streets pushing change so much as she'd been in the boardroom crafting it. It was never about aiming big and making the compromise; it was about starting with something she could get a vote on. And to succeed in that world, especially in the 70s, she had to moderate herself right off the bat.

You can see how triangulation would have become a strategy in the White House in the nineties. Instead of pushing for something people wanted, the Dems started offering things they didn't think the Republicans could say no to. Every policy proposal had to have something in it not just to attract the Evan Bayh's of the world, but the radio listeners of the world. You couldn't just bribe a southern senator anymore, you had to phrase it in a way Rush Limbaugh couldn't go running with. That's to say nothing of the recent fox news which was founded in 1996 and just ran anti bill/hillary stuff 24/7.

From that perspective, the rest of her legislative career makes a lot of sense. Now extrapolate to the DNC as a whole. 8 years of Clintons at the executive level created a lot of people that owed their careers to them. She did more for the corporatization of the democratic party than anyone. From her senate election in 2001 to her runs in 2008 and 2016 and even today, there is no one that has shaped the democratic party more than her. Even when Obama won the primary in 2008, all the staff and money that he inherited were Clinton people. There was no one in the Dem establishment that didn't come up in an environment dominated by their personality and politics.

And in 2008 you have a politician like Obama, who's probably personally inclined to these clintonian policies anyway, and is someone who desires to please his opponents more than his base, and there you go. It's sort of easy to see what happened to hope and change.

I'm not going to go into 2016 and 2020.

To touch on her Libya debacle, you have to keep a few things in mind.

The first is the obvious political connection. Hillary knew she was running in 2016 and would need a strong foreign policy moment. Her husband made a ton of political hay beating up on Saddam in the 90s, so she decided she could do it too. Gaddafi wasn't a good dude, but he was mostly harmless and by that point not totally with it anymore. Hillary saw where the tides were shifting and decided to support the coup and take credit for it. It also didn't help that Gaddafi was sodomized in a ditch and murdered on youtube.

Like I said, she's not a natural politician, and she gave a horrible answer when asked about it. It was one that didn't piss off the right at all but infuriated the left. But Hillary has never cared about the left (and actively thinks its something holding her back.) She's always about preemptively stopping attacks from the right. And in that sense her gaffe might have done that.

In a darkly funny way it led to the Benghazi attacks which were the biggest noose around her neck for the following 4 years. RIP Vilerat; gone but not forgotten.

The other main thing informing her foreign policy worldview was what Samantha Power refers to as "The Ghosts of Rwanda." Humanitarian Intervention was the big thing during the Clinton administration, and it led to a lot of complicated situations. The pushback from the right very likely led to them sitting on their hands at the start of the Rwandan genocide. According to Shake Hands with the Devil, Delaire called a nearby US military base in the early days of the slaughter and asked for immediate assistance. The person on the other end was never identified, but per him that guy was like "holy loving poo poo we're sending in the marines" but they never came.

Rwanda became an incident so horrific you can refer to it by just the country's name and people know what you're talking about. Samantha Power states that has never left her, and I can believe that. Everyone who was in the Clinton administration at the time has referenced how much it hosed them up that they didn't act earlier in Rwanda.

So when we talk about her hawkishness, I generally think Hillary thinks she's doing the right thing. It makes perfect sense from a lot of angles.

1. military action actively preempts republican criticisms, especially in post 911 (remember this was all before trump)
2. it keeps people from thinking she looks week
3. it can stop a genocide from unfolding

I don't know what the proper response would have been to syria. In hindsight, it was clear that Obama was probably too interested in courting Putin and keeping him happy than it was stopping Assad. Hillary was working against that current, but she pretty clearly wanted to intervene directly. She even came straight out and said "bomb the airfields." Again, classic hillary. Triangulate so that your opponents (obama in this case) couldn't really argue against it.

wow this got long.

tl;dr

- Hillary is a politician who has been through more than probably any other woman since Theodora or Marie Antoinette as far as her opponents making GBS threads on her
- She is a very competent legislator behind the scenes and an incompetent politician on a personal level
- She has learned all the worst lessons from her various successes and failures, and these crafted her political worldview and the cynical, right of center policies she still advocates
- 80% of democratic functionaries are disciples of this worldview and it will take literally decades to get them out

This is a fantastic post and a far more realistic portrayal than the constant attacks on her in this thread and the cultural zeitgeist in general. I saw Clinton in 2008 speak, and was impressed at the time. Of course there are issues with her. But calling her a psychopath is ridiculous.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Brad Parscale is not having a good day.
https://www.local10.com/news/local/...dium%3Dsharebar

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

uhhh.... Parscale (Trump's former campaign manager) may have been talked out of suicide tonight.

https://twitter.com/RossPalombo/status/1310374639168819200

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Rigel posted:

uhhh.... Parscale (Trump's former campaign manager) may have been talked out of suicide tonight.

https://twitter.com/RossPalombo/status/1310374639168819200

Ooof. Never a good thing.

Gonna own when Trump calls him out on being a weak loser. (Not really, but he will).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

do we think he leaked as revenge for his demotion and then had a moment of weakness when he realized the story was gonna come out?

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
Tweet on Parscale

http://twitter.com/a/status/1310380117055729664

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1310332845668421632

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Turns out the Death Star was actually his house.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Can this day get any better?

And weird how the police showed up for a wellness check and no one died :thunk:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm honestly wondering if there's going to be a point where they have to say "listen its not fraud because im just a dogshit businessman" or if he would rather just go to prison.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Death Star huh?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

DC Murderverse posted:

do we think he leaked as revenge for his demotion and then had a moment of weakness when he realized the story was gonna come out?

He wouldn't have had access to Trump's personal tax returns, if that's what you're thinking of

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Xand_Man posted:

Trump cheats at golf even if everyone is watching and there's nothing on the line. He NEEDS to be a winner.

Pretty much this. Trump is the living embodiment of Ricky Bobby's dad's phrase "If you ain't first, you're last". You can probably heap the majority of blame on old Fred pounding it into Donald all his life that if you're not a winner you're a loser

FizFashizzle posted:

"he's deducted more for hair care than the average american makes in a year" is a great line if Biden can remember it.

It's not gonna sway anyone. Everyone that already hates him this is just more for the pile. for his supporters "Yeah, he's rich, he should be able to do that"

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Hoo boy, I got a bad feeling that we’re gonna see some really awful poo poo come out of Parscale’s situation and what drove him to desperation. :smith:

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

Hoo boy, I got a bad feeling that we’re gonna see some really awful poo poo come out of Parscale’s situation and what drove him to desperation. :smith:

It's probably just the realization that he's gonna die in prison.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

curious if this is related to the tax fraud poo poo or just stress/"hard living" catching up with bradly and his mind snapping like a twig.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

curious if this is related to the tax fraud poo poo or just stress/"hard living" catching up with bradly and his mind snapping like a twig.

Maybe Trump’s coming down hard on everyone with the tax release, bad polls, and Brad siphoning off millions when the campaign is broke now in the home stretch.

Trump’s going to be even more apoplectic with losing and facing prosecution.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm gonna guess Parscale believes that the house of cards is close to coming tumbling down, and that he'll be in *some* trouble when it does. Seems like the most obvious thing.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Perhaps Brad knows who has actually been keeping Trump's finances afloat for years, and how they don't tend to leave corpses attached to their hands and heads.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Trump's gonna announce he never knew Parscale.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
He has the piss tape.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

bobjr posted:

Trump's gonna announce he never knew Parscale.

There's probably a picture or two of him and Parscale together.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

sexpig by night posted:

Dunno, even the Joker won't mess with the IRS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G56VgsLfKY4

Glumwheels posted:

Can this day get any better?

And weird how the police showed up for a wellness check and no one died :thunk:

Cops probably have a tactical paper bag to perform the test

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
brad has literally been stealing from the most powerful man in the world for years and before that he was just a nobody rich boy computer toucher, it's probably just stress and poo poo from, ya know, the crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I read the entire NYT article as quoted and one thing I don’t understand. The article talks about how you could declare say a $100M loss one year and use that to avoid paying $100M in taxes the upcoming years. The article also talks about how literally every single business Trump owns/ed including his casinos were reporting tens upon tens of millions in losses. And the article talks about how this was his entire MO: make a big payday and then declare losses and pay nothing in taxes and repeat.

Like, are all those businesses just terribly run and managed or did he keep buying and propping up lovely businesses to grift? Like I just don’t see how you could run a casino at a loving loss so it seems deliberate but that would mean he planned it and I don’t know which is more unbelievable: that he ran a casino at a loss or that he planned it all.