Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Al-Saqr posted:

I like how we're barely a day into a conflict nobody knows anything about in a part of the world no one cares about but already the same pre-packaged positions of people who already hate so and so and love so and so are already being transferred over.

Honestly after looking at everything I dont support either side in this, I cant cheer for armenia because they're backed by russia, crazed christian nationalists and arab fascism, and I cant support azerbaijan because they're allies with Israel and it seems like they're the ones who started this. so whatever.

I loving hate conflicts in the social media age because for all intents and purposes you might as well know nothing.

This is disheartening to hear, as a barely posting muslim stripping the politics away and ignoring the assholes on twitter on both sides Armenia would still have just cause. Also gonna sound like a butt by bringing up religion but there is a profound hadith on stopping other muslims from doing oppression, so it doesn't sit well with me when these folks have been devastated barely within living memory to see them get shat on once again. I would hope the general muslim attitude on the internet stop getting played by the media but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

interesting that idlib has been in the news the last couple years because of turkey; was that not a heavily diverse/armenian area before WWI?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Fizzil posted:

This is disheartening to hear, as a barely posting muslim stripping the politics away and ignoring the assholes on twitter on both sides Armenia would still have just cause. Also gonna sound like a butt by bringing up religion but there is a profound hadith on stopping other muslims from doing oppression, so it doesn't sit well with me when these folks have been devastated barely within living memory to see them get shat on once again. I would hope the general muslim attitude on the internet stop getting played by the media but :shrug:

Only people I've really seen trying to make this about religion are serbs, who desperately want the Armenians to do a Srbencia (which they won't)

Azeris are mostly agnostic or culturally shia, even Iran hate them, this isnt about religion

THS
Sep 15, 2017

its not actually cargo cult but similar energy of constantly posting in the one forum that makes them angry, plus negative attention seeking

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I have been completely fascinated by the Turkish shitposters
https://twitter.com/alikeskin_tr/status/1310541882431283200?s=20
https://twitter.com/alikeskin_tr/status/1310504207041077248?s=20
https://twitter.com/maanlichtt/status/1310316534271823872?s=20

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

Only people I've really seen trying to make this about religion are serbs, who desperately want the Armenians to do a Srbencia (which they won't)

Azeris are mostly agnostic or culturally shia, even Iran hate them, this isnt about religion

speaking of

https://twitter.com/Breaking9Il/status/1310630123100463105

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

They are becoming powerful

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Please spoiler the zoomed in pictures of dead people. Maybe I’m a wuss but sheesh

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/Breaking9Il/status/1310639142590537729

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the only thing i know about azerbaijan is that its capital is baku. i know this because when i was in middle school, my hippie social studies teacher did a big drawn out yawn like aaaaaazzzerbaijaaaaannnnn and then a fake sneeze with the sound BAKU! and she said "there, now you will never forget that baku is the capital of azerbaijan". and she was right, i never have

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
where my baku bakas at

in a burning BMP, rip

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Fizzil posted:

Well yeah I guess if we strip out everything in the end Armenia wasn’t the one who started this so they’re in the right. I honestly hate the Azerbaijan government and I don’t care at all that they’re Muslims theyre a lovely dictatorship that’s allied with Israel so they can just gently caress right off lol.

The amount of trolling online though is really insane I truly don’t understand what’s the point of what Azerbaijan and their backers are trying to accomplish, do they even have military objectives?!

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Sep 28, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

I like how we're barely a day into a conflict nobody knows anything about in a part of the world no one cares about but already the same pre-packaged positions of people who already hate so and so and love so and so are already being transferred over.

Honestly after looking at everything I dont support either side in this, I cant cheer for armenia because they're backed by russia, crazed christian nationalists and arab fascism, and I cant support azerbaijan because they're allies with Israel and it seems like they're the ones who started this. so whatever.

I loving hate conflicts in the social media age because for all intents and purposes you might as well know nothing.

one of those gosh darn proxy wars we keep hearing about

I wonder what kind of extracurricular help Azerbaijan is going to pull to their aid, speaking of that and their alliance with Israel,

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Tejlor Svift

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The only thing I know about Baku is that something's going on over there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku_bid_for_the_2016_Summer_Olympics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku_bid_for_the_2020_Summer_Olympics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_the_2024_and_2028_Summer_Olympics#Proposed_bids_which_did_not_go_to_application

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

This is the solution imo:

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Al-Saqr posted:

Well yeah I guess if we strip out everything in the end Armenia wasn’t the one who started this so they’re in the right. I honestly hate the Azerbaijan government and I don’t care at all that they’re Muslims theyre a lovely dictatorship that’s allied with Israel so they can just gently caress right off lol.

The amount of trolling online though is really insane I truly don’t understand what’s the point of what Azerbaijan and their backers are trying to accomplish, do they even have military objectives?!

Presumably reclaim the non N-K parts of Artsakh, in part or full.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Whorelord posted:

This is the solution imo:

The fist yaasss queen

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Actually the USSR in 1945 was Georgia at its full might

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok so I decided to do my basic research, I though the disputed territory would be tiny but it looks like a fairly hefty chunk of land about a third the size of Armenia, apparently it’s internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan but it declared it’s own Independence in 1991 and is mainly Armenian population. Lol talk about a wierd situation.

Does Azerbaijan even have army large enough to take and hold that much territory?!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1310524335078232065

world having a normal one

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
only russia has those

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Al-Saqr posted:

Actually the USSR in 1945 was Georgia at its full might

the stalin museum at his birthplace in gori is a trip let me tell you. the guided tour just lists basic facts about stalin's life before hastily adding on "oh yeah also tens of thousands of people died, now do wanna see the stuff he got sent for his birthday?"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Whorelord posted:

the stalin museum at his birthplace in gori is a trip let me tell you. the guided tour just lists basic facts about stalin's life before hastily adding on "oh yeah also tens of thousands of people died, now do wanna see the stuff he got sent for his birthday?"

One of my favourite pieces of trivia about stalin was that apparently he was an extremely talented singer who had a voice of gold in his youth.

Vasukhani posted:

only russia has those

Not really Mig-29s are quite prolifically available around the world.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Sep 28, 2020

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Azerbaijan also operates Mig-29s as well, but yeah the Russians openly operate at an airport outside of Yerevan with the permission of the Armenian government. Also, they may just be SU-30s operated by the Armenian air force.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Sep 28, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PUTIN!!!

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/Breaking9Il/status/1310646543276339200

I still don't get what troll this account is going for. Is Aleksa Duric a meme that predates it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Maximo Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/Breaking9Il/status/1310646543276339200

I still don't get what troll this account is going for. Is Aleksa Duric a meme that predates it

its not the real 911 account and it's probably just some /pol/ poo poo

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Meme origin:

https://twitter.com/libyapro2/status/1264939052517785600

https://twitter.com/MohsenDerregia/status/1264660361183191040

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Nonsense posted:

its not the real 911 account and it's probably just some /pol/ poo poo

You're right. it's a joke account, "Tejlor Svift" ffs

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Tejlor Svift

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
During the last Turkish aggression in Idlib, Syrian trolls were getting Turks to claim having murdered like, General Shawarma and several Russian WW1 leaders. I think part of it is done to expose bots and bellingcats and "Tokyo Roses" and "osint" spammers that don't actually know anything or anyone. Like when Kim Jong Un has a massive coronavirus heart attack every 6 weeks.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok so I decided to do my basic research, I though the disputed territory would be tiny but it looks like a fairly hefty chunk of land about a third the size of Armenia, apparently it’s internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan but it declared it’s own Independence in 1991 and is mainly Armenian population. Lol talk about a wierd situation.

Does Azerbaijan even have army large enough to take and hold that much territory?!

basically sounds like a classic war of aggression with a flimsy pretext? what a throwback

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/emil_sanamyan/status/1310665728379572225?s=20

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Look at those chemtrails, a real mig would never have exhaust that black. Probably tainted adrenochrome

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

the memes are getting stronger

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://carnegie.ru/commentary/82797?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss

quote:

The current escalation is a direct consequence of freezing the negotiations process. There have never been such short intervals between major armed flare-ups in the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict. Even the four-day war of 2016 was preceded by a nearly four-month lull. Now there are two hotspots in the standoff: one on the border, 300 kilometers from the line of contact, and another in Nagorno-Karabakh itself.

There are several possible outcomes to the current situation. The most likely is a battle for small and not particularly important pockets of land, allowing for the symbolic declaration of a “victory,” and a more concrete PR victory at home. That strategy may look foolproof in theory, but in practice, raising the bar in a conflict makes it very difficult to stop as planned. The opponent may have an entirely different view of things, and then a new strand of the confrontation is inevitable.

Incidentally, it cannot be ruled out that the current escalation is part of preparations for negotiations, and is needed to shore up diplomatic positions and ramp up pressure on the opponent before resuming talks.

Whatever reasoning is behind the armed clashes, one thing is clear: the importance of military force in the Nagorno-Karabakh peace process is growing with every day. The absence of talks is becoming critical. If the Karabakh pendulum isn’t repaired very soon and doesn’t swing over from the generals to the diplomats (even allowing for a possible swing back the other way afterwards), it may become irreparable. And then the prospects of yet another regional war breaking out once again will stop being a mere scenario described by experts.

Yeah, the Azeris will take just enough to say they have won, and then the Armenians will push them back just enough to declare victory. That's my prediction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

i briefly scanned twitter and it's pretty extreme. i suspect a lot of this is turkish, this was also a pattern during the invasion of rojava with turkish astroturfing and signal boosting. i don't know what the logic behind it is other that to try and create disorientation / propaganda but they absolutely flood it. weaponized social media.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Sep 28, 2020