Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Jankiest build that I ever cruised through the entire game with. I was hoping to kill dad with full health but I whiffed a dash in phase 2. I'm sure the massive Dodge% (though no Zagreus aspect to truly break it) helped alongside the Aphrodite Aid to interrupt basically any boss attack whevever I wanted, but this absolutely deleted everything by basically just dashing around and spamming Special, and throwing in the other attacks to keep status debuffs up and DOTs ticking.

Basically, don't sleep on Hermes, movement is king in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You have 14 epic boons with aphro attack and demeter special! I would not call that janky, personally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing. But it's weird that the game doesn't even acknowledge that it gets way harder after the first escape. It's just like "oh ok this encounter I've done 20 times now has a bunch of crazy rear end new moves now"

Characters have a ton of dialogue about pacts, you just may not have seen it yet.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

veni veni veni posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing. But it's weird that the game doesn't even acknowledge that it gets way harder after the first escape. It's just like "oh ok this encounter I've done 20 times now has a bunch of crazy rear end new moves now"

I figured something was up when new enemies started appearing. The ambusher mini-boss can eat it.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

No Wave posted:

You have 14 epic boons with aphro attack and demeter special! I would not call that janky, personally.
Fair enough. Just no synergy or broken duos/legendaries, really. Usually builds like that end up anemic on damage and take long enough that inevitable mistakes whittle me down, but this time was a faceroll. I had the Duo that makes all your boons Epic from Poseidon, but I'm not actually sure if it's retroactive or I just made sure to roll into epics before that.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Zeus shield rules, I can report. Boost that sucker up a bit and then put a good special on it and watch everything melt.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Why do people talk about respeccing talents when it seems like there is no limit to the upgrades? What am I missing here?

It's kind of vestigial now but in EA Mirror used to cost *way more* and by blanking out and respeccing you could try out new stuff without having to grind for it. There's also some dialogue linked to doing it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Benagain posted:

Zeus shield rules, I can report. Boost that sucker up a bit and then put a good special on it and watch everything melt.

it owns until you have to dash

and then the constant booms stop.

also it's not so good against hades, ugh.

is the styx really that worth it? Everyone talks it up but that's only to boost the final fight, isn't it? Unless there's a lot of healing in there I don't think I'd want to go through poison chipdamage forever just for a centaur heart...

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So apparently with Extreme Measures 4 active, Dad can summon two Doomstones at once. And with +60% Jury Duty active, each one summons a LOT of little Fracture babies in turn. They're actually not super dangerous, but seeing them immediately swarm the screen was jarring enough to make me drop my guard and eat a full combo to the face:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Gamerofthegame posted:

is the styx really that worth it? Everyone talks it up but that's only to boost the final fight, isn't it? Unless there's a lot of healing in there I don't think I'd want to go through poison chipdamage forever just for a centaur heart...

I sort of really like the spear head for stuff like styx, because the invuln time lets you go scoop up a healing well while taking basically no damage. In a similar regard, getting athena blessing for your basic attack is a very strong survivability boon which lets you be more aggressive and spend less time dodging.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Gamerofthegame posted:

Running through all of styx is how you accelerate your titan blood acquisitions. The five styx rooms combine to about 600 gold, meaning if you have 600 gold coming out of elysium, you can get a titan's blood before fighting hades, ensuring you get SOMETHING out of your run no matter what. It's very optimal to do them for this reason, never mind the other advantages they have

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

If you're going to use Exit Wounds, do not take Festive Fog because you're going to completely shut yourself out of your own gimmick :negative:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beIIdRId63o

This run got 15.00.06. Almost under 15 finally!

Except I would have been under 15 if I didn't get a 3 room Styx aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I also would've gotten under 15 if I played better but shhh

Also apparently the victory screen and the in game timer counts time slightly different; 15.00.07 and 15.00.06 respectively.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

Most people don't full clear styx. Having Companion Shady with extra charges or Plume/Butterfly makes it a more compelling proposition.

That said, I love Centaur Hearts and if you see one with a skull under it imo it's usually worth prioritizing as it gives 50 life.

Magitek posted:

So apparently with Extreme Measures 4 active, Dad can summon two Doomstones at once. And with +60% Jury Duty active, each one summons a LOT of little Fracture babies in turn. They're actually not super dangerous, but seeing them immediately swarm the screen was jarring enough to make me drop my guard and eat a full combo to the face:

Would love to see you drop a rib there to see what happens.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What are people's thoughts on Companions? I've only got Meg, Than, and Skelly, and normally I just run Meg (two summons) for quick burst, normally on Hydra 2nd reinforcements, the rest normally on problematic rooms, or if I'm generally okay, then dumping them into Elysium or Styx bosses.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you have one or fewer points in lasting consequences Companion Shady is imo way better than the others. At 2 points of lasting consequences it starts to be a debate.

For a long time the only other choice for a companion is Rib (skelly) as he's the only other one that's turned on for the Hades fight. Eventually, Hades will give you permission to bring any companion you want into his fight. At that point you actually have a few options. Meg and Thanatos are basically the same but Meg is easier to hit with and does a bit less damage. Between Meg, Than, and Skelly (I've only spent much time with Meg) it really seems like personal preference but again, Shady is just OP until you have at least two points in lasting consequences so he's the one I almost always take.

Companion snake is kind of weird, I'm not really a fan. I haven't actually tried out Antos but it looks impossible for it to be good.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 29, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

For anyone curious, this is what Massive Sweep looks like on the Aspect of Hades.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I've only tried Meg and Than's, but I like Than more between the two since all bosses have attacks where they stay still anyway. If I have Sisyphus' I would probably just stick with that though yeah

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

saw credits roll, and dang this game is good. The atmosphere is great and has me wanting to revisit greek mythology.

I think this might be my favorite rougelike. It's going to be interesting to see what clones come out or if Super Giant makes a sequel.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The credits theme is a fuckin' bop. Just got to the end myself.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Favorite stupid detail about Hades #237: the way pausing doesn't just make the music quiet, it makes it sound all muffled like it's being played in another room and only the bass is coming through.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just almost got my first win with a fun Hangover rapid fire Rail build. I got him down to a sliver of health, and there are a number of things I could have done differently, but the one that's gonna haunt me is forgetting what Call I had and blowing an entire full charged Aphrodite Call on an add instead of the boss. Gonna be thinking about this all day at work.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zag: This rug will really tie the room together!
Dad: IT DOESN'T TIE ANYTHING TOGETHER.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Has this been posted yet
https://twitter.com/grimbanana/status/1309923452502052864

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

YggiDee posted:

Favorite stupid detail about Hades #237: the way pausing doesn't just make the music quiet, it makes it sound all muffled like it's being played in another room and only the bass is coming through.

Same with going into your room while Orpheus is singing!

I just wanted to run away from his Zagreus/Dionysus song oh god what have I done.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
How do I make the spear work? I have gotten to hades and haven't beaten him, but I unlocked weapon upgrades at least. Explosive special forever?

An aspects okay?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Victory Position posted:

For anyone curious, this is what Massive Sweep looks like on the Aspect of Hades.

Now get it with fast charging spin attacks and aphrodite attack.

Elysium is so much easier when all you have to do is hide behind a rock and hit the entire room for 500 at once every 2 seconds.

Anyway, the boon that makes your call auto charge but caps it at 25% works incredibly well the the Aphrodite call. You won't ever get the 2500 damage hit, but as long as you are reasonably good at hitting things you can use the call constantly. It saved a bad run of mine in Elysium because I could just shut off one of the duo bosses every 6 seconds, then Hades spent most of his fight dumb-locked from getting called constantly.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 29, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Kuros posted:

If I were doing a 32 heat run I'd consider:

Hard Labor 3 - 3
Lasting Consequences 2 - 2
Convenience Fee 1 - 2
Jury Summons 2 - 2
Extreme Measures 3 - 5
Calisthenics Program 1 - 1
Benefits Package 1 - 2
Middle Management 2 - 2
Forced Overtime 1 - 3
Heightened Security - 1
Damage Control 2 - 2
Approval Process 1 - 2
Tight Deadline 2 - 5

Out of curiosity, have you actually done a 32 heat run? My best was 28ish (and failing) before early access ended, and I had similar thoughts until I saw how others where doing 35+ heat runs and had a revelation. Adding +hp +summons is very safe early on (after all, who doesn't like fighting, and often you'll overkill with crits so yea! make em fatter) but at extreme heat a lot of players find it easier to give the enemies all the glass cannon upgrades possible, and make sure they just all die as they spawn without every getting an animation off.

Also Forced overtime 1 is a trap, it throws off your timings horribly for little payoff. Either stick to 0, or crank it to +40% movespeed and never turn it off, as you need to re-learn everything into muscle memory.

It's all very subjective, but a lot of heat options compound strangely and subtly shift from a good deal into a unseen trap as heat rises.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Knocked out my first win with Extreme Measures 4. I lost that last fight once before so I'm glad to get my revenge.

I really, really, love the fists. This build in particular is a super high dodge build with the Plume, Dodge up after Poseidon Call, and high gauge gain thanks to the fists. Despite this the fight was fairly close.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Now get it with fast charging spin attacks and aphrodite attack.

Elysium is so much easier when all you have to do is hide behind a rock and hit the entire room for 500 at once every 2 seconds.

I did, but kept it with Poseidon's attack :toot:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

RC Cola posted:

How do I make the spear work? I have gotten to hades and haven't beaten him, but I unlocked weapon upgrades at least. Explosive special forever?

An aspects okay?

IMO, yes, my easiest run was with explosive Zag spear. I just kept investing in Poseidon's special damage + knockback and if you get splash on hitting wall it makes Styx a breeze as rooms are usually small and helps with add clear on dad fight.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Absolute flawless execution. Dead Cells should be taking some notes and copying the gently caress out of this.

Seriously. I have a friend who complains that this game doesn't have enough "content" (as in more levels and enemies), and while that would be nice I find it hard to care since it's so insanely polished and fun I just keep running through the same stuff and having a blast.

Dead Cells has a lot more alternate levels and enemies and yet I found it boring pretty fast. I never even beat the game once. The amount of polish and care that went into Hades really shows.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

:toot:

Blizzard shot basically won the fight for me, goddamnnn that chewed through his health bar like nothing else.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Elman posted:

Dead Cells has a lot more alternate levels and enemies and yet I found it boring pretty fast. I never even beat the game once. The amount of polish and care that went into Hades really shows.

I'm... feeling the opposite, like this game is going to run out of steam quicker than Dead Cells, but that point seems far enough away with the 37 remaining times I have to visit the House of Hades in order to get the full scoop on Zagreus.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Elman posted:

Seriously. I have a friend who complains that this game doesn't have enough "content" (as in more levels and enemies), and while that would be nice I find it hard to care since it's so insanely polished and fun I just keep running through the same stuff and having a blast.

I really liked Dead Cells very veryr far back in early access (one of the first adopters) and thought it had promise, but it never quite deliverd in the final product over what I had hoped for, and yeah I basically beat it once or twice when 1.0 came out and just never felt like doing it again. Boss Cell mode just wasn't appealing and put it down for good. it's an insanely good game but I feel it'd be better served taking it's gameplay-flow/combat-feelz and dumping it into a more realized fleshed out game rather than some weak-proc-gen roguelite-ish gamel.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Elman posted:

this game is awesome and while it does have a ton of content, I'd be throwing cash at the devs hand over fist if it meant adding a few more deities and maybe an extra zone.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tender Bender posted:

Just almost got my first win with a fun Hangover rapid fire Rail build. I got him down to a sliver of health, and there are a number of things I could have done differently, but the one that's gonna haunt me is forgetting what Call I had and blowing an entire full charged Aphrodite Call on an add instead of the boss. Gonna be thinking about this all day at work.

Fully charging Aphrodite calls against a boss is a waste anyway. The charm duration is almost 0 against bosses so it's mostly worth it for the interrupt -- you'll cancel the boss out of whatever move it's about to do so you can just sit in its face and keep DPSing, which is probably more of a damage gain than the full-bar version of the call anyways. Especially if you save it for stuff that's that you don't think you can dodge.
Same goes for Athena call IMO

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Victory Position posted:

I did, but kept it with Poseidon's attack :toot:

Nice. Love it when a plan comes together.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I learned tonight that Styx can ruin a decent run if you get the wrong combos of critters in the wrong rooms. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Styx is what made me stop taking the 400% Damage Traps pact. I had a good run going once and then promptly exploded through all my lives once I got there.