Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I cant believe anyone thinks combat in Genshin feels good. Like, I was excited about this game for real and I uninstalled it already.
how far did you get? combat didn't really click for me until I got a good handle on elemental reactions, and got used to constantly switching characters in the middle of combos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its an interesting system, because elements arent really weighed equally, some combos are clearly better than others in certain situations but they aren't always available, depending on what elements you brought + what elements they have + environmental conditions + resistances

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

the thing is, Sekiro sucks, the terminus of the downward trend of neo-From from making cool, haunting, punishing rpgs into 60$ git gud memes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if the combat in their older game was genuinely a platinum style thing then im 100% sure this combat system is a direct result of astral chain lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

the thing is, Sekiro sucks, the terminus of the downward trend of neo-From from making cool, haunting, punishing rpgs into 60$ git gud memes

incorrect, sekiro isnt a get good game, its a style game. its all about making your combat flow look sick nasty. it owns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I might play Sekiro if it came to gamepass but otherwise, like, nah From Bloodborne and DS3 especially were not good Im not doing this again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The "tings!" of continuous parrying is the second-best From sound, only eclipsed by the Bloodborne parry into visceral attack

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

how far did you get? combat didn't really click for me until I got a good handle on elemental reactions, and got used to constantly switching characters in the middle of combos

I had gotten access to the dungeons and finished the first one after doing some exploring. Mostly I hated how movement felt really floaty and there was no dodge button (R1 doesn't count)

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
yeah I played far enough in GI to unlock a full team/did a few dungeons and basically completely lost interested. I think there is a good game there if you want to get into it I just don't want to spend the time on it.

Stux posted:

incorrect, sekiro isnt a get good game, its a style game. its all about making your combat flow look sick nasty. it owns.

I mean yeah sound/visual wise it's very strong I just didn't find it that fun, I guess my brain needs the neon-excess of a DMC in style games

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

MOD MODS

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Barudak posted:

I might play Sekiro if it came to gamepass but otherwise, like, nah From Bloodborne and DS3 especially were not good Im not doing this again.

bloodborne was fantastic. ds3 feh.

Relax Or DIE posted:

I mean yeah sound/visual wise it's very strong I just didn't find it that fun, I guess my brain needs the neon-excess of a DMC in style games

i didnt find sekiro fun for quite a few hours, in fact i thought it sucked. then i realised i was trying to play it like a souls game and from werent making a souls game with it and it suddenly clicked and became intensely satisfying.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I had gotten access to the dungeons and finished the first one after doing some exploring. Mostly I hated how movement felt really floaty and there was no dodge button (R1 doesn't count)

r1 is a dodge though and it works fine. theres cool elemental world bosses and you can 0 hit them thanks to it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sekiro is the second best FROM game

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

hatty posted:

I see something long-absent in the sunken faces of passersby - a glimmer of hope.

May 8, 2006

Stux posted:

i didnt find sekiro fun for quite a few hours, in fact i thought it sucked. then i realised i was trying to play it like a souls game and from werent making a souls game with it and it suddenly clicked and became intensely satisfying.

i mean i beat it, I figured out early too that you had to play it different, I think we will just have to ~agree to disagree~ on sekiro. In fairness 'it's a game about being as stylish as possible' is one of the better defenses of it i've heard.

May 8, 2006

also in the interest of transparency i also love Nioh 2 which is the dark souls with a million systems and numbers stacked on top so maybe I am just too brain addled to appreciate the purity

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man, I died on that silver star mission in Mario Galaxy and there's no checkpoint and like... it wasn't hard but I happened to miss hitting a blue star when Mario rockets out of a cannon and lost 15 minutes of progress.

I will never miss the Wii.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there is so much going on in this photograph of boogie holding a gun at a streamer

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sekiro rules and is way less "difficult" than the Dark Souls series because the challenge is exactly what is presented to you and doesn't obfuscate what you need to be doing behind four million things the game never tells you and you have to go to gamefaqs to find out. I shouldn't need to read a strategy guide to understand poise, or to know that stat scaling basically stops after a certain investment point, or what the actual loving multipliers are on weapons don't just tell me it has Rank C dexterity what the gently caress does that MEAN? Use Left Trigger to riposte, except against all the enemies you can't riposte. Here's a million different kinds of armor, don't wear any of it because you don't want to get too heavy, unless it's REALLY heavy, in which case wear it because it's great. Don't equip shields because guarding is a trap.

Once you know Dark Soul's weird metagame poo poo, the entire series becomes significantly easier, even completely disregarding your own individual play. Sekiro you have to actually play the game good in order to win.

also what the hell I decided to give Genshin Impact a second shot but this time it's gonna take 8 hours to download. It took like 30 minutes when I preloaded it last week

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 29, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Sekiro rules and is way less "difficult" than the Dark Souls series because the challenge is exactly what is presented to you and doesn't obfuscate what you need to be doing behind four million things the game never tells you and you have to go to gamefaqs to find out. I shouldn't need to read a strategy guide to understand poise, or to know that stat scaling basically stops after a certain investment point, or what the actual loving multipliers are on weapons don't just tell me it has Rank C dexterity what the gently caress does that MEAN? Use Left Trigger to riposte, except against all the enemies you can't riposte. Here's a million different kinds of armor, don't wear any of it because you don't want to get too heavy, unless it's REALLY heavy, in which case wear it because it's great. Don't equip shields because guarding is a trap.

Once you know Dark Soul's weird metagame poo poo, the entire series becomes significantly easier, even completely disregarding your own individual play. Sekiro you have to actually play the game good in order to win.

also what the hell I decided to give Genshin Impact a second shot but this time it's gonna take 8 hours to download. It took like 30 minutes when I preloaded it last week

The fact that you can power through a Dark Souls encounter through avatar power is a good feature, you’re being awfully close to “You took a shortcut and gained nothing”

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My Dark Souls experience was struggling through the early game and having no idea what was going on, so I returned the game to the rental store. When it released on PC I looked up a few things and did some cross-reference watching/reading LP's to see what people were using what weapons and how much they were upgraded. From there I basically managed to stomp through the game except for the fights that are actually really hard like O/S, while poo poo like Iron Giant, 4Kings, Nito, and Seathe I just kind of rolled.

So it's not that I'm against avatar power being bad, it's that avatar power is so poorly explained and nebulous that that was a bigger gameplay block than anything else. Looking online and realizing "oh my weapon is poo poo I really need to upgrade it" isn't a fun thing to realize is the #1 factor preventing you from not being able to beat a boss and solving that leads to cruising through the rest of the game

in all the times I got frustrated in Sekiro never did I think to myself "I should check online to see what I'm doing wrong"

double edit: this problem is made even worse in Dark Souls because it's not like you have a lot of freedom to experiment with builds or upgrading weapons, since there's no respeccing and weapon upgrade items are in finite supply unless you want to grind. Your build is so massively important but so easy to gently caress up, and it's VERY difficult to assess the comparative strength of weapons without someone feeding you some hints. Like, there's nothing about the numbers of the Zweihander that would make you look at it and say "oh this weapon is NUTS"

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 29, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i like both dark souls and sekiro for mostly different reasons and i wouldnt want one becoming the other because i am blessed both exist

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hatty posted:

Agree.

Best bosses and best swordfighting of any game EVER, but I do prefer DS1 for the massive open world structure and RPG elements that are intentionally missing from Sekiro.

But I do love the simplicity of not having a build in Sekiro, if you die there's no doubt that maybe you should change your gear or weapon or level up; you just HAVE to git gud. There is no other option. No doubt.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Sekiro rules and is way less "difficult" than the Dark Souls series because the challenge is exactly what is presented to you and doesn't obfuscate what you need to be doing behind four million things the game never tells you and you have to go to gamefaqs to find out. I shouldn't need to read a strategy guide to understand poise, or to know that stat scaling basically stops after a certain investment point, or what the actual loving multipliers are on weapons don't just tell me it has Rank C dexterity what the gently caress does that MEAN?

You can figure out ALL of these things if you're observant and just play around with the game and pay attention to every aspect of the UI. Nothing in souls is obfuscated, most gamers just are so trained by other games that they don't even try to think of things or look for hints.

Rank C dexterity means less than B. If you wanna know the exact difference in numbers, the game shows you, and every time you're about to level you can see how the scaling will affect your damage. But you're not really meant to calculate what is the absolute min/max damage your character is capable of, and people beating the game on SL1 runs regularly shows you never need those things, they just help give you more margin for error.

But I do love the simplicity of Sekiro removing all that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 29, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The 7th Guest posted:

there is so much going on in this photograph of boogie holding a gun at a streamer

it feels very 2020

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’ve tried both Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne and found the atmosphere in both made me supremely anxious in a way I was not at all enjoying or comfortable with so I stopped playing them.

That’s my lukewarm Souls take I guess.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

You can figure out ALL of these things if you're observant and just play around with the game and pay attention to every aspect of the UI. Nothing in souls is obfuscated, most gamers just are so trained by other games that they don't even try to think of things or look for hints.

This is patently untrue and I'm sick of hearing people regurgitate this. Trust me, I loving looked. Telling me that if I wanted to know the damage scaling range of a parameter bonus for an individual weapon that I would have needed to take damage samples before and after leveling a stat up to see with the differences were is, I'm gonna say, pretty goddamn obfuscated. Hell, how would I have even known the parameter bonuses were multiplicative? Could have been additive. I would have needed to take enough samples across multiple levels to realize that my damage wasn't going up in strictly linear intervals and ALSO hoped that in no time during my calculations did my stat cross from 9 to 10 or from 10 to 20 because those are the thresholds for new stat calculations which would have thrown everything off. All of that is also dismissing the fact that parameter bonuses exist within ranged for different weapons. Dark Souls also does the Monster Hunter damage calculation everyone hates where they don't flatten damage numbers across weapons so it makes it very difficult to compare them when you take attack speed into consideration. A Bastard Sword and an Uchigatana both have very similar attack damage but deal way different damage per hit, so you would have to calculate EVERY weapon category separately.

Seriously, can you tell me in the game where I could have found these charts? Because these charts were exactly what I was looking for when I was trying to calculate if it would be worth it to spend points in Strength or not when I was already using the silver straight sword

https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Weapon+Scalingweapons

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh it's not hard you're just a stupid pleb

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Not agreeing with Zaphod because DS certainly obscures many things, but that sort of nitty gritty back end formula stuff isn't really the sort of thing I think of. Sekiro's attack power formula is also obscured in that way and is probably more complicated than an average player may think but it doesn't really matter because anyone can intuit that more attack power = more better. Similarly you might not know the exact formula for stat scaling or how it works in DS but I think its reasonable to say that a C is meh and an A is pretty good and that's enough for people to make an educated decision about their stats.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Genshin does the dumb gacha thing where the primary way you level people up isn't by using them, but by feeding them items, so like there's no reason to engage with the systems at all you can just feed all your items to a single character and roll everything except the random overleveled bosses dotting the landscape, and even if you do spread xp around it feels super awkward to ditch somebody who you fed permanent resources to, even if you'll get more later

It's sort of astonishing how many gachas have that leveling system and it's trash every single time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The worst trick the game plays on you in dark souls is letting you level a stat past 40

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Genshin does the dumb gacha thing where the primary way you level people up isn't by using them, but by feeding them items, so like there's no reason to engage with the systems at all you can just feed all your items to a single character and roll everything except the random overleveled bosses dotting the landscape, and even if you do spread xp around it feels super awkward to ditch somebody who you fed permanent resources to, even if you'll get more later

It's sort of astonishing how many gachas have that leveling system and it's trash every single time

the bosses arent overlevelled if you are using more than one character tho... and this way i can clear camps without worrying about spreading xp out over characters cos i just get a chest with the xp in at the end that i can apply to whoever.

but also seriously those level 36 elementals you can clear far earlier than you think by engaging in the combat mechanics and not trying to just smash circle with one guy over and over

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Maybe it's just brainworms but I'd much much rather the game automatically distributed the xp from those items across your party whenever you open a chest, rather than putting them in your inventory and making you decide what to do with them. I really really dislike the system and I dislike how common it is

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is patently untrue and I'm sick of hearing people regurgitate this. Trust me, I loving looked. Telling me that if I wanted to know the damage scaling range of a parameter bonus for an individual weapon that I would have needed to take damage samples before and after leveling a stat up to see with the differences were is, I'm gonna say, pretty goddamn obfuscated. Hell, how would I have even known the parameter bonuses were multiplicative? Could have been additive. I would have needed to take enough samples across multiple levels to realize that my damage wasn't going up in strictly linear intervals and ALSO hoped that in no time during my calculations did my stat cross from 9 to 10 or from 10 to 20 because those are the thresholds for new stat calculations which would have thrown everything off. All of that is also dismissing the fact that parameter bonuses exist within ranged for different weapons. Dark Souls also does the Monster Hunter damage calculation everyone hates where they don't flatten damage numbers across weapons so it makes it very difficult to compare them when you take attack speed into consideration. A Bastard Sword and an Uchigatana both have very similar attack damage but deal way different damage per hit, so you would have to calculate EVERY weapon category separately.

Seriously, can you tell me in the game where I could have found these charts? Because these charts were exactly what I was looking for when I was trying to calculate if it would be worth it to spend points in Strength or not when I was already using the silver straight sword

https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Weapon+Scalingweapons

the higher the letter the better the scaling is. the more of the stat you have the more damage it does. at no point have i ever based a single dark souls build off of those charts or any calculations other than whats in the game. a big sword does more damage in one big slow swing and a katana does less damage but can hit quicker. you really dont need to get any more complicated than any of this.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe it's just brainworms but I'd much much rather the game automatically distributed the xp from those items across your party whenever you open a chest, rather than putting them in your inventory and making you decide what to do with them. I really really dislike the system and I dislike how common it is

but then you have to go through the thing where you get a new character and now have an entire slot wasted waiting for them to catch up on xp but not using them because theyll get destroyed instead of just using your new character immediately. in a style of game where you getting a new character is the point of the game existing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Maybe, levels should just not exist at all, in genshin impact

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MMF Freeway posted:

Not agreeing with Zaphod because DS certainly obscures many things, but that sort of nitty gritty back end formula stuff isn't really the sort of thing I think of. Sekiro's attack power formula is also obscured in that way and is probably more complicated than an average player may think but it doesn't really matter because anyone can intuit that more attack power = more better. Similarly you might not know the exact formula for stat scaling or how it works in DS but I think its reasonable to say that a C is meh and an A is pretty good and that's enough for people to make an educated decision about their stats.

C is meh and A is good but if my exact build has 30 dex and 14 strength, is a C-scaling on a katana going to be more or less damage than if I were to invest two more STR so I can use a silver straight sword, considering it has higher base damage, only C scaling on Dex but also E-STR?

These are the things that I wanted to know when playing the game

cheetah7071 posted:

The worst trick the game plays on you in dark souls is letting you level a stat past 40

No no I'm sure the game tells you about diminishing stat returns and that any stat point over 40 is 85% less effective wrt scaling, you just didn't look hard enough because you're so used to letting video games change your diapers

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

C is meh and A is good but if my exact build has 30 dex and 14 strength, is a C-scaling on a katana going to be more or less damage than if I were to invest two more STR so I can use a silver straight sword, considering it has higher base damage, only C scaling on Dex but also E-STR?

These are the things that I wanted to know when playing the game

how comfortable you are with their movesets matters far more than 5% dps or whatever. That isn't really the kind of game dark souls is.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

how comfortable you are with their movesets matters far more than 5% dps or whatever. That isn't really the kind of game dark souls is.

This is true but not giving me a clear idea if what I'm going to be changing over to is actually numerically better than what I have is a good way to make me never ever switch weapons, which is how I ended up fighting Gargoyles with the Hand Axe on my first playthrough

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah Dark Souls is p good, too bad Sekiro has none of that cool stuff

quote:

haha claymore go swish

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 29, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That's a valid way to play these games. It isn't a loot treadmill, use what feels comfy. Hell in DS2 my picks for the best weapons in the game are bought from the first vendor and are completely generic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I ran into a cheater in Gundam, I think it's the third one I've seen now. Really brought the mood down tonight getting matched with him six times.

cheetah7071 posted:

That's a valid way to play these games. It isn't a loot treadmill, use what feels comfy. Hell in DS2 my picks for the best weapons in the game are bought from the first vendor and are completely generic

My primary weapons my first time through DS2 was a longsword and a claymore backed up by barfing Dark Magicks everywhere. It wasn't until later runs I really went nuts (and the one time I got a second blacksteel katana because of the item giveaway was a ton of fun in the bell covenant).

God drat DS2 is good