Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

found another good one. in this, the armenians' dance moves are so powerful it throws off turkish soldiers' aim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=733EtpHBD_s

hmmm

quote:

My stupid leftist professor was telling us how nationalism was evil and how the Bulgarians and other eastern Europeans were wrong to revolt against Ottoman rule. She said the Turkish Muslims "suddenly" became the other. No, they became the other the day their invaded and colonized other people groups. If people who want self-determination from Westerns are right then the same goes for people who want freedom from cultural assimilation and colonization from non-white people.

never listen to a leftist they're evil and support the diminishment of christian civilization

bad guys really won the cold war eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vasukhani posted:

bad guys really won the cold war eh
oh yeah

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
this is gonna become balkan round 2 with jihadists fighting nazis isnt it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I'm not sure that we should be siding with Armenia in this, they're just as guilty of things as Azerbaijan, we should just let the Azeris have Artsakh

very normal discourse, going on, online, on the internets

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

the discourse is making a full on, unironic stalinist

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I wonder how long it'll be before Turkey screams ARTICLE 5 ARTICLE 5 and drags us into their genocidal race war proxy conflict

sum
Nov 15, 2010

The rest of NATO told them they were on their own in their Syria adventures and recently they got into a pissing match with France because they stopped an illegal shipment of arms to Libya. I doubt NATO's going to get dragged into their stupid Caucuses grudge war

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

is it clear who everyone is a proxy of yet

Turkey and Azerbaijan are on one side, but are Iran and Armenia on the other?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

wolfs posted:

is it clear who everyone is a proxy of yet

Turkey and Azerbaijan are on one side, but are Iran and Armenia on the other?

Iran has committed the most support to Armenia, Russia too. So yeah, it's going to be Isreal/Turkey versus Rus/Iran

the no mans land battlestates will be sacrificed as part of the struggle

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sinteres posted:

A lot of countries around the world broadly support Azerbaijan's position, even if they want a peaceful resolution, so I don't blame Turkey for being more sympathetic to Azerbaijan than Armenia. I do think they're pretty much the last country on the planet that should be involved in unnecessary unilateral or bilateral military aggression against Armenia though, just as (for example, please don't go in the weeds on this) Germany would be probably the last country in the world you'd want to take any military action against Israel, even if they had a relatively sympathetic purpose for doing so. I don't have a strong position on who should govern Nagorno-Karabakh (though I will note that many of the same countries that oppose Armenia's position because of Azeri sovereignty and ethnic cleansing of Azeris were fine with Kosovo engaging in ethnic cleansing of Serbs and becoming independent, and the Azeris also committed massacres against Armenians), but I don't want Turkey anywhere near the situation.

the message i got from this is military action should be taken, just not by the turks? lol

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Ah poo poo, Cenkgazi went away...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Vasukhani posted:

the message i got from this is military action should be taken, just not by the turks? lol

loving lmao at D&D

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Shells landing in Armenia proper now. This would be able to trigger CSTO.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
And reports of aircraft being used now. Yup, this'll be a regional war.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:stare:

So who's up for a nuclear war tontine?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

the history of recent warfare lately has been pretty intractable, no? Yemen’s Houthi government has been a thorn in the side of Saudi Arabia and the non-Houthi Yemenis, the Ukraine / Donbass thing is ongoing afaik, Syria is a morass..

the last sweeping victory i can think of is Russia doing some dirt to the Georgians?

I don’t see how this would be a nuclear concern - or at least, not a greater one than India/Pakistan/China

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Vasukhani posted:

Shells landing in Armenia proper now. This would be able to trigger CSTO.

What’s CSTO?

Also can someone please point out some sources I can track this war with that’s not a bunch of biased troll farm bullshit? At this point according to both sides there have been more tanks destroyed than the Battle of Pokharovka

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

What’s CSTO?

Also can someone please point out some sources I can track this war with that’s not a bunch of biased troll farm bullshit? At this point according to both sides there have been more tanks destroyed than the Battle of Pokharovka

It's like NATO, except with a Summon Russia button instead of Summon America button.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
The actions leave no choice but to switch to the use of long-range attack systems and destructive power. "/ Ministry of Defense of Armenia.

it really is starting

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So as it stands who has the bigger military dick here? It’s probably Azerbaijan what with their deals with Israel/Turkey? I mean barring any Russian intervention do they have enough stuff to fight back against Azerbaijan?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

So as it stands who has the bigger military dick here? It’s probably Azerbaijan what with their deals with Israel/Turkey? I mean barring any Russian intervention do they have enough stuff to fight back against Azerbaijan?

Depends how much Iran helps.

Azerbaijan can also get invaded on every side if it is decided that events have gone to far

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
Azerbaijan ministry of defense claiming to have killed an Armenian colonel

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Air Forces: Armenia has 4 Su-30s and 14 Su-25s; Azerbaijan has 5 MiG-21s, 12 MiG-29s, and 12 Su-25s.
Navy: Armenia does not have one; Azerbaijan has nothing that can reach Armenia from the Caspian Sea.
Army: ~Armenia has 45,000 active duty soldiers and ~200,000 reserves; Azerbaijan has ~57,000 active duty soldiers and ~300,000 reserves. I don't have armoured fighting vehicle numbers for either.

Prediction, hopefully not too Groveresque: If the conflict continues to escalate, and Azerbaijan continues to annex parts of Nagorno-Karabakh, then in the next few days, Armenia will begin to annex parts of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic. This could be where Armenia says "pull your forces out of NK and we'll pull ours out of the NAR." That or Azerbaijan will look at the state of things and go "one of us is going home in a proverbial bag", and one or both will cast Summon Bigger Fish I.

Kazinsal has issued a correction as of 09:20 on Sep 29, 2020

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.media-center.am/en/1462092772

a former Armenian PM claimed in 2016 that Armenia has nuclear weapons. he refused to elaborate or explain what kind / what he meant

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sing Along posted:

a former Armenian PM claimed in 2016 that Armenia has nuclear weapons. he refused to elaborate or explain what kind / what he meant

Considering they've been an NPT state since 1993 I'm wondering if he meant "we used to hold onto Soviet nukes back in the day" in the same way that, by that definition, Canada used to possess nuclear weapons.

e: Armenia has a single nuclear power plant powering 40% of the country but it looks like an extremely old Soviet PWR, so, not something you would use to enrich anything.

Kazinsal has issued a correction as of 09:25 on Sep 29, 2020

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Sing Along posted:

armenia nuking baku would be the most 2020 thing ever

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-double-edged-sword-of_b_12876204

Here's some more information about this, they also have a nuclear capable launch platform

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/ShStepanyan/status/1310852092215595008?s=20

https://twitter.com/ShStepanyan/status/1310852449335418880?s=20

I don't think Armenia will trigger CSTO unless Turkey decides to directly attack or the Azerbaijani Army directly crosses in Armenia proper, but it's clear the war is widening.

Al-Saqr posted:

Azerbaijan has the larger and more high tech military, but are attacking into very strong defensive positions. Tanks having to roll in single file on a narrow road or across open fields that the other side has a clear view of and a height advantage over has poor results. I would say Armenian morale and willingness to fight is much higher as well. From what I can tell the biggest advantage Azerbaijan has is its drone fleet.

Kazinsal posted:

Air Forces: Armenia has 4 Su-30s and 14 Su-25s; Azerbaijan has 5 MiG-21s, 12 MiG-29s, and 12 Su-25s.
Navy: Armenia does not have one; Azerbaijan has nothing that can reach Armenia from the Caspian Sea.
Army: ~Armenia has 45,000 active duty soldiers and ~200,000 reserves; Azerbaijan has ~57,000 active duty soldiers and ~300,000 reserves. I don't have armoured fighting vehicle numbers for either.

Prediction, hopefully not too Groveresque: If the conflict continues to escalate, and Azerbaijan continues to annex parts of Nagorno-Karabakh, then in the next few days, Armenia will begin to annex parts of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic. This could be where Armenia says "pull your forces out of NK and we'll pull ours out of the NAR." That or Azerbaijan will look at the state of things and go "one of us is going home in a proverbial bag", and one or both will cast Summon Bigger Fish I.

I believe attacking Nakhchivan is a red line for Turkey. I don't think we'll see either side strike there.

https://twitter.com/517design/status/1310855178392940544?s=20

Probably just scapegoating over why they haven't rolled over the region yet, but if true then lol

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
twitter's sweatiest osint posters all have the most raging boners at the moment its intolerable

*hyperventilating as I dm somebody on twitter* "confirming MoD reports, source checks out"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
CMANO DLC when

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
this is a vibe though (lowest imaginable quality video of some unspecified thing getting shot down set to what sounds almost like witchhouse):

https://twitter.com/301_AD/status/1310863361601613825?s=20

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Where are all the videos of the fighting at? Smh, Syria had 4k drone footage of IED ambushes.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

err posted:

Where are all the videos of the fighting at? Smh, Syria had 4k drone footage of IED ambushes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGXQ_rvQRyug7VvoFtZd_1g you can find what you're looking for on this channel

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

bappin is not horny its a state of insanity that i can only hope to one day achieve

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Iranian forces are engaging with Azeri aircraft

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
this is literally somehow an even dumber 1914

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

Iranian forces are engaging with Azeri aircraft

Where is your source for this?

There have been Iranian reports that some shelling fell over the border into Iran, but that nobody was hurt. This is probably expected as the frontline would end right on the border.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Where is your source for this?

There have been Iranian reports that some shelling fell over the border into Iran, but that nobody was hurt. This is probably expected as the frontline would end right on the border.

He's probably citing this:
https://twitter.com/Iran_Military/status/1310876097001795584?s=20

but this isn't an actual Twitter account of the Iranian military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1310259308555370501
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1310217902147149824
https://twitter.com/jeff_kaye/status/1310658920302522369