Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, some karma; Magica's home is mostly furnished with the same brand of pizza boxes Scrooge was gorging himself on.

Papa Swan's is one of better bird name jokes in the show, but it's still not quite Storkules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Omobono posted:

Oh,no, that was just an in-universe observation, I've got no problems with that happening from a narrative perspective, I was just noting that in-universe they dropped the ball a little (in a tense situation with a lot of things going on).

I kinda disagree here? (watch the episode before this) Magic is powerful to be sure but it's not an instant win. Webby overpowered Magica at the end of season 1 purely on her grandma's training and rightful fury. Magic is Lena's resource.

Now that I've finished the episode I'm cool with how it turned out for Lena. And it's not like Lena is on the show all the time (*sigh*) so it's not much of a problem.

goblin week posted:

Phantom Blot's new thing is really weird to me as a reader of european comics. Like he went from an extremely theatrical version of the Saw movies villain to... a morally justified witchhunter? I can dig that, I guess. Always thought of him to be the best villain in the comics and the only reason I didn't skip all Mickey Mouse ones.

Well, figure most witch-hunters were "morally justified." They were fighting "Satan's minions" here on Earth. One thing with this is that most of F.O.W.L. knows that they're bad guys. Larceny is in their name. As such they might be a little more reluctant to commit truly heinous deeds. "Yeah, maybe we can do a score that doesn't require us to murder children..." Phantom Blot thinks of himself as the hero fighting evil. So any horrifying poo poo he does is automatically justified in his mind. He's a fanatic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Everyone posted:

Phantom Blot thinks of himself as the hero fighting evil. So any horrifying poo poo he does is automatically justified in his mind. He's a fanatic.

This is a key thing, and maybe makes him even scarier in some ways. He's also clearly empowered by magic and has no qualms using it- and, as demonstrated, no qualms attacking children without provocation beyond being in the vicinity of magic, and potentially stranding Scrooge and his family in another dimension with no way back. (and we remind you, his main employer has a standing policy of keeping Scrooge in a position to make them money, at least before they can wipe out the clan in one fell swoop rather than leave someone behind to take revenge)

Especially with the implication that even without his magic-draining gauntlet, that he has glowing eyes and wears the hood all the time may well imply that whatever's under the hood, it very likely isn't remotely recognisable as... well, equivalent of human anymore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is a key thing, and maybe makes him even scarier in some ways. He's also clearly empowered by magic and has no qualms using it- and, as demonstrated, no qualms attacking children without provocation beyond being in the vicinity of magic, and potentially stranding Scrooge and his family in another dimension with no way back. (and we remind you, his main employer has a standing policy of keeping Scrooge in a position to make them money, at least before they can wipe out the clan in one fell swoop rather than leave someone behind to take revenge)

Especially with the implication that even without his magic-draining gauntlet, that he has glowing eyes and wears the hood all the time may well imply that whatever's under the hood, it very likely isn't remotely recognisable as... well, equivalent of human anymore.

Pretty sure we've seen his face in other media (he's a dog with a mustache but I don't remember if his real name is ever given), but whether this series will continue down that route remains to be seen.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Larryb posted:

Pretty sure we've seen his face in other media (he's a dog with a mustache but I don't remember if his real name is ever given), but whether this series will continue down that route remains to be seen.

That's a bit shaky and depends on the author. In some comics his identity is perfectly well-known, in others it's treated as a mystery, and I've read at least one where his cloak isn't even a disguise, but just what people from his country look like.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Between holding petty grudges, thinking kids still like playing with marbles and now dealing with their depression by eating way too much pizza, I like how this episode continues the part where Scrooge and Magic are way more alike than they'd like to admit. I really hope we get a Scrooge/Magica team-up episode this season.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

amigolupus posted:

Between holding petty grudges, thinking kids still like playing with marbles and now dealing with their depression by eating way too much pizza, I like how this episode continues the part where Scrooge and Magic are way more alike than they'd like to admit. I really hope we get a Scrooge/Magica team-up episode this season.

Given their casting is specifically a Doctor Who in-joke/reunion, I think they definitely intended for the parallels to be obvious and for their dynamic to be played with at every opportunity.

They also have a key thing in common in that they just don't quit. We've seen how much it takes Scrooge to back down from a decision in the face of mortal danger, and Magica is willing to do anything, make use of technology when she doesn't have magic, and take a service job as a birthday magician just to stay in the game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Though it does beg the question of why the Blot didn't just off Magica while she was fricking working for him at Funzo's. Maybe he just wanted to make her suffer first, I dunno.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's pretty obvious that leaving Magica to live without magic is the worst possible fate for her. (that said, they could have just figured out this direction for his character later on)

That and, interestingly, despite Magica being instrumental to the Blot's backstory, it seems like in the present day he doesn't actually care about her in particular, being hyper-focused just on the idea of magic instead. Would make a lot of sense that he's lost sight of his original motivation at this point, and blames the concept of magic rather than Magica being a monster who happens to use it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Though it does beg the question of why the Blot didn't just off Magica while she was fricking working for him at Funzo's. Maybe he just wanted to make her suffer first, I dunno.

Maybe the Phantom Blot who swore vengeance on Magica died and this is a new Blot that F.O.W.L. made to steal for them using magic. That might explain them knowing about Magica but seemingly not that laser-focused on killing her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

amigolupus posted:

Maybe the Phantom Blot who swore vengeance on Magica died and this is a new Blot that F.O.W.L. made to steal for them using magic. That might explain them knowing about Magica but seemingly not that laser-focused on killing her.

It does seem like FOWL has him on a relatively loose leash. (especially since we saw the last FOWL episode end with high command chewing the operatives out for getting sloppy) Again, could be interesting given he has a very rare and potentially very valuable skillset, and Lena has just managed to prove she could take the magical spot in Duckburg's Justice League, costume and all. (the costume seemed a bit off for me, mind. A little too generic? Either go full magical girl frills, superhero tights, or full Dr Strange mage robes)

Might actually be interesting if Scrooge entrusts Lena with some of the magical artifacts he's got stashed away.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It does seem like FOWL has him on a relatively loose leash. (especially since we saw the last FOWL episode end with high command chewing the operatives out for getting sloppy) Again, could be interesting given he has a very rare and potentially very valuable skillset, and Lena has just managed to prove she could take the magical spot in Duckburg's Justice League, costume and all. (the costume seemed a bit off for me, mind. A little too generic? Either go full magical girl frills, superhero tights, or full Dr Strange mage robes)

Might actually be interesting if Scrooge entrusts Lena with some of the magical artifacts he's got stashed away.

Well, Phantom Blot has apparently been active in one form or another for decades according to Magica. He might very well predate FOWL or even be one of their founders. In any case figure the policy of the Vultures is probably something like, "Just leave him alone. The last thing we need is for that crazy fanatic to decide to come after us next."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://twitter.com/FrankAngones/status/1310504155966922752

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Scientifically accurate duck tales woo-oo

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's been long enough between episodes that I thought maybe they changed Magica's color, until she regained her amulet and turned green again. I love Tate so much in this role.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Saw that in the ep before I saw the tweet, but that is prime av material.

I am now invested in what's going on with the Ottoman Empire guys. I love little C-plot stuff that you can follow through random episodes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I keep waiting for the inevitable shot of everyone as a human for a split second. Like that gag they did on the Simpsons.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also this episode came out of one of the animators shitposting basically.

https://twitter.com/FrankAngones/status/1310674895664152576

https://twitter.com/SamanthaCKing/status/1310679075799724032

https://twitter.com/SamanthaCKing/status/1310680246383861761

And they were roommates

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

tribbledirigible posted:

prime av material.

on that note

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Senerio posted:

And they were roommates

Is roommates more or less serious than cousins?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

"Gal pals" - dating, may or may not be out, play off as platonic

"Roommates" - moved in together, usually out, for uncomfortable family members

"Cousins" - married, unambiguous, willful denial for all involved

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It would explain the complete lack of concern for the triplet's father

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ikanreed posted:

It would explain the complete lack of concern for the triplet's father

I naturally assumed they were born via a sperm bank and in vitro fertilization. The show just doesn't go into that because you can't say "sperm" on a television show meant for kids.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Lol, I might just take that one at some point

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Penumbra specifically said that she doesn't want to "date a earth... male".

I love how those moonlanders seem to have accustomed to earth. More specifically, the nineties.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cant cook creole bream posted:

Penumbra specifically said that she doesn't want to "date a earth... male".

I love how those moonlanders seem to have accustomed to earth. More specifically, the nineties.

And if there was any doubt (because redditors were trying to pick the statement apart to have an alternate meaning),

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamanthaCKing/status/1310796963718201344

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pakled posted:

And if there was any doubt (because redditors were trying to pick the statement apart to have an alternate meaning),

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamanthaCKing/status/1310796963718201344

That's pretty awesome and even in late 2020 I'm mildly amazed that it got through.

Also, from the episode:

"What could go wrong?"

"Hopefully everything!"

Dear God, this show really is Duck Venture Brothers isn't it?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glomgold, HERO OF EARTH, confirms himself as best villain in the show once again. He is just so full of appreciation for the little joys in life, like trying to kill McDuck.

Gotta love Launchpad being off his dating game and completely panicking about it until the misunderstanding is cleared.

Penny does not call everything on Earth "Earth ---" though. She calls the kids "Small Della" or "Color Della". She obviously thinks very highly of them (outside of paranoia attacks).

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Gonna write a 69 page treatise on how she's been trained as a child solider and saddled with massive moon PTSD based off this episode. Get in the robot Penumbra.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Omobono posted:

Glomgold, HERO OF EARTH, confirms himself as best villain in the show once again. He is just so full of appreciation for the little joys in life, like trying to kill McDuck.

Gotta love Launchpad being off his dating game and completely panicking about it until the misunderstanding is cleared.

Penny does not call everything on Earth "Earth ---" though. She calls the kids "Small Della" or "Color Della". She obviously thinks very highly of them (outside of paranoia attacks).

Reminds me of how Fethry calls the kids 'Little Donalds'.

T-man posted:

Gonna write a 69 page treatise on how she's been trained as a child solider and saddled with massive moon PTSD based off this episode. Get in the robot Penumbra.

I mean that half describes Webby, who specifically sees that as something they have in common and tries to bond over it.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Okay, I'm just going to say this once so I can get it off my chest, feel free to ignore me or whatever:

Supposedly this was going to be Huey's season, finally, and yet he's barely in the show. He's had, what, five episodes where he's the focus, over the course of the entire series? And usually those episodes are about dunking on him for being a nerd. I thought this season would be different, but nope. Season 1 (the Dewey season) was about Dewey coming into his own as an adventurer like Scrooge. Season 2 (Louie) focused on his growth as a character. Season 3 is the adventures of Webby, Dewey, and Louie.

MachuPikacchu fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 29, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
nah you're right unfortunately

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Wonder if it's a VA availability issue or something?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
To be entirely fair, we've not seen too many FOWL-centric episodes. Season 2 wasn't terribly Louie-centric in the first half either. Of the first 9, only 3 episodes were Louie-heavy.

Compare:
Most Dangerous Game Night: Louie
Cousin Fethry: Huey and Dewey
Duke Baloney: Webby and Louie
Three Caballeros: Donald
Storkules in Duckberg: Louie
Last Christmas: Dewey
Della: Della
Lamp was an ensemble epsiode
The Outlaw Scrooge McDuck: Scrooge and Goldie

with:
Challenge of the Senior Junior Woodchucks: Huey and Violet were the A plot
Quack Pack: Huey (all of them, but Huey is the one who realized)
Double-O-Duck: Dewey
Mervana: Louie
Louie's Eleven: Louie Donald and Daisy
Astro BOYD: Huey
The Rumble for Ragnarok: Dewey
The Phantom and the Sorceress: Lena and Webby
Moonlander: Penny, mostly, with side Dewey and Webby

It just seems less Huey-centric because we just came back from a long hiatus.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 29, 2020

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Finally watched the episode.

It is amazing how much better this show is than the ducktales of the 90s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Starting to see what Penny and Della have in common; Penny in particular is clearly only really happy when in mortal peril, or as she discovers, the thrill of discovery.

Also makes sense that Penny's got a ravenous appetite when reminded; she's a highly active career soldier, on top of having been reluctant to eat Earth food unless absolutely necessary.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The most important clip from this episode.
Can videos be spoilered? I'll try.
https://i.imgur.com/M3yr8Fm.mp4

Eh, just posted it as a link, alrighty.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Kerokerokerokero. More burnt cow flesh!

Also Deceptive Flesh Robot is a top-tier user name.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
That clip raises the question of whether the residents of this world eat fowl.

Actually, we know in this episode they eat burnt cow flesh and we've seen cow people

I'm suddenly very unease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ikanreed posted:

That clip raises the question of whether the residents of this world eat fowl.

Actually, we know in this episode they eat burnt cow flesh and we've seen cow people

I'm suddenly very unease.

It's probably a little like a human eating a monkey, it might seem weird but it's not technically cannibalism.

MachuPikacchu posted:

Okay, I'm just going to say this once so I can get it off my chest, feel free to ignore me or whatever:

Supposedly this was going to be Huey's season, finally, and yet he's barely in the show. He's had, what, five episodes where he's the focus, over the course of the entire series? And usually those episodes are about dunking on him for being a nerd. I thought this season would be different, but nope. Season 1 (the Dewey season) was about Dewey coming into his own as an adventurer like Scrooge. Season 2 (Louie) focused on his growth as a character. Season 3 is the adventures of Webby, Dewey, and Louie.

Well, at least Huey got to be a major player in Astro Boyd, one of the best episodes the show has ever done.

And now he has a robot boyfriend!