Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
The sub is deleting every post about it, but they’re staying live just long enough...

quote:

Elite is dead. FD is focused on making theme park games.

quote:

They just made something that kind of looks like the same thing, and managed to trick you into thinking it's the same.
Shame on you.

quote:

They're 'faking' a lot of what Star Citizen is doing dynamically...
which is fine. It just isn't what Star Citizen is doing.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

Ceterum autem censeo Civis Stella esse delendam.

trams yrev eb tsum ti tub tib eno teg ton od

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
did Derek do any more BLOGS?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
'They're 'faking' a lot of what Star Citizen is doing dynamically...'

Yes you flaming fuckwit, it's called Making A Game
Also - SC simulates gently caress all :laugh:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen simulates what it would be like if there were no wind resistance/gravity or inertia pretty well!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
People who give Chris Roberts money deserve everything - everything - that's already happened, is currently happening, and will continue to happen to them. Star Citizen is the 9th circle of hell and Chris sits in the middle of a fiery pit, waving an infinite number of arms, holding the backers upside down and shaking the money out of their pockets for all eternity.

None of his arms is making a game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

Lots of cool little dips in there, they hit quite a few keynotes. The bartender (which is the one they showed mocap for :lol:) but they also mentioned:

- The background simulation
- The suits being different for different types of content
- Flora/Fauna
- Black market and criminal gameplay
- Personality for the NPCs
- Missions
- and many others

The difference being that Chris Roberts says all this but accomplishes nothing, whereas this video is saying it because it's almost done.

And the irony being that star citizens all say "well yeah Elite does this but its just a few basic things, SC is still in early alpha and will be way better!" but while SC continues to not be a game, Elite continues to deliver on bit by bit, actually producing things that work and are playable and solid before biting off more than they can chew and promising the world and pre-selling it all for $3,000.

But you see, Elite is bad because of this!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zaphod42 posted:

And the irony being that star citizens all say "well yeah Elite does this but its just a few basic things, SC is still in early alpha and will be way better!" but while SC continues to not be a game, Elite continues to deliver on bit by bit, actually producing things that work and are playable and solid before biting off more than they can chew and promising the world and pre-selling it all for $3,000.

But you see, Elite is bad because of this!

quote:

If you want to be nailed to your pilot's chair, have loading screens disguised as cutscenes for space-ground transitions, and teleport from your ship into small boxes of in-station content, yeah, Star Citizen would've been that if they'd taken the game as it existed in summer 2015 and avoided adding procgen planets and everything that comes with it.

But if you want that, you can just play Elite Dangerous right now and enjoy grinding for a bigger ship so you can grind more efficiently to buy a bigger ship so you can grind more efficiently to....

quote:

That's interesting, but I'll believe it when I see it in playable form. I'm not letting myself get hyped for anything that Frontier doesn't explicitly show. Ever since the initial Odyssey trailer, I knew there had to be more than they were showing but without any indication of what I've set my expectations to the absolute floor. That way, Frontier can only surprise me when they deliver more than anticipated.

Just the revolt over VR (non)support was more than enough for me to set my hype to maximum patience, though I'll gladly point out that Frontier addressed the biggest concern of all - that VR users expected they would have to shut the game down completely and reboot in Horizons-only to be able to use their VR headset at all instead of what is actually happening, that VR will dynamically transition to pseudo-pancake if you get out on foot.

I want Frontier to prove me wrong and make me look like an idiot. I really do. But I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt this time around.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen can simulate my minge and emulate my balls.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

StarBegotten posted:

Well, it looks like Elite now has motion captured bartenders ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3tV-pHMaRo

I cant help but feel they put that shot in the video on purpose :D

How can anyone take this bunch seriously! Every "developer" has grey in the hair or beard! They are way too old and experience to "develop", that a young persons game. Lead and Seniors over 30, when their hand spot turns red, you know where they go!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

I’d like to know from your opinion how Elite Dangerous is doing more?

I’m an Elite fan as well but I’d personally rather play Star Citizen.

Last I checked you can’t do the following in Elite Dangerous: You stand on the bridge of your ship with a group of friends and laugh as your companion gobbled down the last hotdog. In the distance you see a sprawling city on a frozen earth like planet. Another friend, the pilot, gently brings the ship toward the spaceport. After the ship lands in the hangar two huge doors close behind shielding the Carrack from the frigid air outside. The ship ramp lowers and with the crew you slowly disembark from the ship.

Walking though the spaceport you all go in your separate ways. One goes to the commons to get something else to eat zipping off in hyper loop connecting the spaceport to the city. Another crewman goes to Centerpoint to pick up the latest ship hardpoints, NBD repeaters, another heads off to the promenade, New Babbage’s night club and bar likely to get a drink. On the way to your apartment you notice a plushy penguin called Pico that would look good in your hab, so you fork over a hundred and fifty credits.

You don your heavy under suit and head off to the garages. There, you see your Nox, your exotic, overpriced space bike, “It’s alien tech” you hear yourself rationalize. You engage systems and the bike hums to life gently hovering off the ground. You ride off into the distance across the frozen lake. “Let’s see how far I can make it today!”

quote:

I loving love that you used the last hotdog as the mike drop.

Oh my sides, it's the potential for player interactions in SC that I think is the core difference

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

StarBegotten posted:

Well, it looks like Elite now has motion captured bartenders ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3tV-pHMaRo

I cant help but feel they put that shot in the video on purpose :D

loving definitely, of all the interactions they could have possibly shown.
Notice they didn't have to build 4 mocap studios either, it looks they took a part of a room in an office and told someone to pretend to be a bartender for a few minutes against a raised table.

Jesus loving christ, FOUR mocap studios with state of the art tech, which they had to redo it multiple times, and looks like they are getting owned by a hipster and Ikea table.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mirificus posted:

But if you want that, you can just play Elite Dangerous right now and enjoy grinding for a bigger ship so you can grind more efficiently to buy a bigger ship so you can grind more efficiently to....

That sounds really bad.

Star Citizen is way better, because you can grind to unlock things but its even more repetitive and your progress gets wiped every update!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

That sounds really bad.

Star Citizen is way better, because you can grind to unlock things but its even more repetitive and your progress gets wiped every update!

Star Citizen is way better, because you can buy your ship for $500.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Star Citizen is way better, because you can buy your ship for $500.

Start Citizer is better because it exists in my mind.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Meanwhile, in a pre-alpha far far away

quote:

Evocati PTU - 3.11.0 Build J (Tuesday) Patch Notes

- Mission givers are leaving their designated areas / wandering from their posts
- Character can be two different skin tones and not the gender the player picked
- The Player Can Spawn in a Dead State unable to interact or Respawn

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pixelate posted:

Meanwhile, in a pre-alpha far far away

Early days!

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

colonelwest posted:

Lol that shot of the mocaped bar tender had to be put in just to troll Star Citizen. Like here is our fully working version of something that you’ve spent years and untold millions on, and we made it in a few weeks as a complete afterthought, because it isn’t at all important to the core gameplay.

It’s hilarious to see Elite not only lapping Star Citizen as it actually exists today, but also lapping anything it could possibly achieve in the next 5-10 years.

But Star Citizens bartenders have such revolutionary AI that lets them... follow the player.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Experimental Skin posted:

How can anyone take this bunch seriously! Every "developer" has grey in the hair or beard! They are way too old and experience to "develop", that a young persons game. Lead and Seniors over 30, when their hand spot turns red, you know where they go!

You goto Carousel and try like hell for renewal.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Nicholas posted:

But Star Citizens bartenders have such revolutionary AI that lets them... follow the player.

This is why progress on the game is so slow. They have to be careful with this super advanced never-been-done-before AI, otherwise they could end up with a Skynet type situation when it reaches singularity.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Thoatse posted:

In a video called The Road To Odyssey :v:

They’re really sticking the knife in and I kinda love it. Even though if it’s anything like prior big updates it’s good for another dozen hours before the “oh well...” sets in.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

G0RF posted:

They’re really sticking the knife in and I kinda love it. Even though if it’s anything like prior big updates it’s good for another dozen hours before the “oh well...” sets in.

But just imagine a painfully dull yet functional bartender, serving beer to a grim and grumbling citizen. His mumbles occasionally erupting into cries of ‘BUT IT SURE AINT loving SUBSUMPTION'.

Hours of content there :allears:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

I think they deserve it, really. I never got the impression that Frontier was anything more than peripherally aware of CIG, mostly as a curiosity if anything. Not a game development studio, and certainly not a competitor. It was Chris who kept releasing unstable builds and giving them the same build number, or slightly higher, than E:D, making announcements that were clearly intended to create competence by association by name dropping Frontier and other actual game development studios, and such. There comes a point where even a good-natured person is going to get worn down and release a video that is basically making fun of nearly every aspect of Chris's unparalleled failure. It's close to being a parody video.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Mirificus posted:

I’d like to know from your opinion how Elite Dangerous is doing more?

I’m an Elite fan as well but I’d personally rather play Star Citizen.

Last I checked you can’t do the following in Elite Dangerous: You stand on the bridge of your ship with a group of friends and laugh as your companion gobbled down the last hotdog. In the distance you see a sprawling city on a frozen earth like planet. Another friend, the pilot, gently brings the ship toward the spaceport. After the ship lands in the hangar two huge doors close behind shielding the Carrack from the frigid air outside. The ship ramp lowers and with the crew you slowly disembark from the ship.

Walking though the spaceport you all go in your separate ways. One goes to the commons to get something else to eat zipping off in hyper loop connecting the spaceport to the city. Another crewman goes to Centerpoint to pick up the latest ship hardpoints, NBD repeaters, another heads off to the promenade, New Babbage’s night club and bar likely to get a drink. On the way to your apartment you notice a plushy penguin called Pico that would look good in your hab, so you fork over a hundred and fifty credits.

You don your heavy under suit and head off to the garages. There, you see your Nox, your exotic, overpriced space bike, “It’s alien tech” you hear yourself rationalize. You engage systems and the bike hums to life gently hovering off the ground. You ride off into the distance across the frozen lake. “Let’s see how far I can make it today!”
Why is he trying to make a game with spaceships sound so boring? I'm an easy sell, just the concept of spaceships plus video games has me halfway to the store but if I knew nothing about Star Citizen other than this description of the Star Citizen experience that's wallet closed, never buying boredom simulator.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nicholas posted:

Has anyone considered that the AI is so advanced that it realizes it's trapped forever serving drinks so its trying to either communicate by standing on chairs or glitching everything in the game?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Ffycchi posted:

Well...I stand by that I won't live long enough to see star citizen.

Nsfwish:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CtztPhu8TcsDP3ze9

:sympathy:

I hope you pull through this, Ffycchi, however dim things may look.

(You can see Star Citizen right now though. It will only get bigger and dumber from here.)

Pixelate posted:

But just imagine a painfully dull yet functional bartender, serving beer to a grim and grumbling citizen. His mumbles occasionally erupting into cries of ‘BUT IT SURE AINT loving SUBSUMPTION'.

Hours of content there :allears:

:lol:

It’s pretty sad that Elite’s going to serve up so much of what Chris has babbled about for 8 years. Braben certainly has the truer claim to “a living breathing universe” — however robotic it feels (and will continue to feel once players get ambulatory.)

Elite has a living, breathing universe (galaxy but it’s still more than enough for any space game.)
No Man’s Sky has sand worms, and a living, breathing universe.
Star Wars: Squadrons has the next-gen Wing Commander dogfighter framework of Chris’s early games, but with VR, too.

Chris has no Sandworms, no universe, no next-gen Wing Commander, no VR. Has has so little to show after promising so much, for so long. His credibility is shot, along with the chance to offer something special to gamers. He’ll never get that chance back.

:sandance:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
FUD time over, check mate goonailures

3.11 PTU is now open to wave 1 subscribers and big $$$$ spenders. Pay2WinTest y'all

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/190048/thread/star-citizen-alpha-3-11-0-ptu-6156962-patch-notes

:trustme: Known Issues

:v:Deadlocks may be likely:v:
:v:CPU usage can reach 100% while just idling in game (please let us know if this is happening in the regression):v:
:v:Mission givers are leaving their designated areas / wandering from their posts:v:

Character can be two different skin tones and not the gender the player picked
NPCs walking around the exterior of the CBD are not posing correctly
Ships landed at Lorville cannot be stored
:v:HUD elements for enemy ships are massively offset at ultrawide resolutions causing them to be invisible to the player:v:
:v:Ship NavMarkers and Target Highlight can become detached from Ships when Pitching Up and Down and traveling forwards:v:

The Player Can Spawn in a Dead State unable to interact or Respawn
The Mantis Snare will not prevent the other player from completing their QT (Short Range QT)
Turrets don't always open fire after respawning
Purchasing OxyPens or MedPens from the shelf will not place the item in the player's inventory
Players are timed out of using a Kiosk or an ASOP terminal after 1 minute when interacting with it
Commodities kiosks at Grim HEX and Lorville don't let the user select commodities to sell.
Specific sentry turrets take no damage against missiles & torpedos
Global Chat text is not always displayed in mobiGlas or visor
:v:No charges are given to a player that rams and destroys another ship with players:v:
:v:Pilot of a ship containing a passenger will be charged with Negligent Homicide if their ship is rammed and destroyed by another player:v:
:v:Ramming and destroying another player with a ship does not generate a crime:v:

Various tables and chairs around Promenade and Commons have template chairs and replaceme texture
:v:Some ships and vehicles can be left in a broken state after spawning:v:
Ships can be displayed as 'unknown' after destruction and be available to spawn again, but will not appear on their specified landing pad.

:tif:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mirificus posted:

Lol this is the most boring and tedious poo poo imaginable, even if it all actually worked and just trying to get a few friends together on one ship wasn’t the horrible nightmare it is now. Does this guy even understand the difference between real life and video games?

All of that would be really neat if we were actually living in some kind of science fiction space future. But for a video game, it’s soul crushingly boring. Just walking around a small Cryengine map and watching janky animations unfold as a T-posing bartender serves you drinks, or wandering around a lifeless procedural planet and exploring how the same dozen art assets have been randomized by an algorithm. None of that involves any actual fun or even real gameplay loops.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Those patch notes...lol. Miles Eckhart fucks off from his post and starts walking around.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Those patch notes...lol. Miles Eckhart fucks off from his post and starts walking around.

That's just how advanced Star Citizer's AI is, even the NPC's want to escape.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
My favorite part, and this cannot be coincidental, is how SC-like everything in that trailer looked. It's got shiny futuristic shopping malls, promenade areas, lots of people just chilling out (albeit without standing on chairs), inexplicably still using humans for vendors, bright neon ads everywhere, the outpost that can launch a hundred deadly drones still has a lone human with a rifle guarding it... it's like their design doc was "Look at SC, then dunk on that".

Seeing the travel desk I can almost hear the cult scoff at not having to manually pack, carry, and check in your bags. The bartender will immediately be shouted down because he's just animated to give you drinks and isn't powered by a Skynet-quality AI that has hopes and dreams and a family to feed and some space disease that causes him to t-pose while failing at his job. The anger will be just get worse every time something laps SC and Elite doing it is doubly enraging.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

'They're 'faking' a lot of what Star Citizen is doing dynamically...'

Yes you flaming fuckwit, it's called Making A Game
Also - SC simulates gently caress all :laugh:

Lmfao imagine being the guy who huffed the “nothing is faked” farts for a decade, constantly being disappointed by broken features and shattered deadlines, and then seeing Frontier literally make your dream game in a couple quarters explicitly by ‘faking it’ like every other game developer always does because that’s the only way you can actually make games. It would instantly destroy your brain too

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Quavers posted:

FUD time over, check mate goonailures

3.11 PTU is now open to wave 1 subscribers and big $$$$ spenders. Pay2WinTest y'all

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/190048/thread/star-citizen-alpha-3-11-0-ptu-6156962-patch-notes

:trustme: Known Issues

:v:Deadlocks may be likely:v:
:v:CPU usage can reach 100% while just idling in game (please let us know if this is happening in the regression):v:
:v:Mission givers are leaving their designated areas / wandering from their posts:v:

Character can be two different skin tones and not the gender the player picked
NPCs walking around the exterior of the CBD are not posing correctly
Ships landed at Lorville cannot be stored
:v:HUD elements for enemy ships are massively offset at ultrawide resolutions causing them to be invisible to the player:v:
:v:Ship NavMarkers and Target Highlight can become detached from Ships when Pitching Up and Down and traveling forwards:v:

The Player Can Spawn in a Dead State unable to interact or Respawn
The Mantis Snare will not prevent the other player from completing their QT (Short Range QT)
Turrets don't always open fire after respawning
Purchasing OxyPens or MedPens from the shelf will not place the item in the player's inventory
Players are timed out of using a Kiosk or an ASOP terminal after 1 minute when interacting with it
Commodities kiosks at Grim HEX and Lorville don't let the user select commodities to sell.
Specific sentry turrets take no damage against missiles & torpedos
Global Chat text is not always displayed in mobiGlas or visor
:v:No charges are given to a player that rams and destroys another ship with players:v:
:v:Pilot of a ship containing a passenger will be charged with Negligent Homicide if their ship is rammed and destroyed by another player:v:
:v:Ramming and destroying another player with a ship does not generate a crime:v:

Various tables and chairs around Promenade and Commons have template chairs and replaceme texture
:v:Some ships and vehicles can be left in a broken state after spawning:v:
Ships can be displayed as 'unknown' after destruction and be available to spawn again, but will not appear on their specified landing pad.

:tif:

how does half of this poo poo even break, given the tasks they actually completed for this release.

i'll take a guess that the star citizen release branches, which should only include stable and tested code, needs to stay in sync with whatever they are schizophrenically throwing together for squadron 42. It probably takes a handful of devs working full time to do just that, and they still can't get it into a good state. Which leaves only god-knows-how-many devs actively adding new PU specific features.

edit: just thinking about how that would almost completely prevent them for shopping out SQ42 to a 3rd party.

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 30, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mirificus posted:

Last I checked you can't do any of that in Star Citizen either :)

Lmao game fanfiction

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 23, 2021

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

How is that Elite is doing more job done with way less money and way less Devs and way much less time? posted:

quote:

They're 'faking' a lot of what Star Citizen is doing dynamically...
which is fine. It just isn't what Star Citizen is doing.

quote:

What things does Elite fake that Star Citizen does dynamically?

quote:

Seamless space-ground transitions, for one. Transitioning from your cockpit seat into a rover and driving it out of your ship onto a surface.

Also, in-system fast travel, sort of - it's not faked as much as supercruise takes you out of the instance you were in and into a separate, isolated layer, while SC quantum travel locks you into your trajectory but never takes you out of the same instance... at least until server meshing comes online and a star system gets divided up into multiple instances (but not into a Quantum/local space dichotomy).

When the Quantum dynamic economy comes online, it'll bring not only dynamic pricing and stock availability for anything in shops instead of the current hardcoded "dumb" systems but it'll make AI appear based on the state of the background simulation. Elite does this to a certain degree, as well, but there's an important distinction. The Elite bgs will look at the state of a system and its minor factions and decide that, say, more system security ships will spawn because the system's at war or something, but spawned AI is basically local to you and just appears without any sort of persistence or consistency. SC's bgs should be much more specific and granular according to the design plans they've discussed; if you fly into a piece of space and there are two pirates attacking a freighter, those AIs are there because the bgs said you should expect to see 1-3 pirates and also should see an NPC freighter, which naturally leads to an encounter with them attacking the freighter - it's not merely "this is a bad place, you will encounter pirates in this system" but calculated probability volumes that will consistently deliver the same experience to people who're in separate instances for the same place. It remains to be seen if Quantum will actually do this, but the bgs should be very involved and do much more than simply establish basic parameters that update once a week.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
[/quote]

Follow up question: why does this matter from a gameplay perspective?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mirificus posted:

Also, in-system fast travel, sort of - it's not faked as much as supercruise takes you out of the instance you were in and into a separate, isolated layer, while SC quantum travel locks you into your trajectory but never takes you out of the same instance... at least until server meshing comes online and a star system gets divided up into multiple instances (but not into a Quantum/local space dichotomy).

This is just too much

"Look, Elite fakes everything by putting you in different instances. In SC there are no different instances! Of course... once they get the server actually working... there will be different instances in SC.... but anyways that's why Elite sucks!!"

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Uhhh Star Citizens I have literally jumped into a system, approached a planet, landed, hopped out in my totally working SRV, and drove around a moon totally seamlessly in Elite. In what way is that trickery aside from the normal "hiding loading screens" thing super common in games since Resident Evil 1 came out?

Odyssey has me actually thinking about loading Elite back up for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Uhhh Star Citizens I have literally jumped into a system, approached a planet, landed, hopped out in my totally working SRV, and drove around a moon totally seamlessly in Elite. In what way is that trickery aside from the normal "hiding loading screens" thing super common in games since Resident Evil 1 came out?

Odyssey has me actually thinking about loading Elite back up for a bit.

Because SC doesn't hide loading screens! It's all one big map. Never mind that it doesn't actually work and only hosts 50 players, Chris says one day it will host millions of players.