Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I think one of those coin machines will let you turn your spare change into bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah I know it's ultimately for laundering, I was just curious how it works in practice, like you just give it 35 cents and get a receipt for 0.00000000000000000001 buttbux or something?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

I think one of those coin machines will let you turn your spare change into bitcoin

Coin star does at certain locations yeah.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is going to sound like a very stupid question, so I am sorry.

But I was thinking about the Koalas March thing, and how she had a sock puppet account where she would praise herself and say how awesome she was, so other people would notice/like her.

Has there ever been the case of the opposite? i.e. Where a poster has a sock puppet that follows them around saying how poo poo and bad they are? They would do this so they get noticed by other people, and also to get internet sympathy, because from the perspective of everybody else they would be being picked on by a stranger for no reason.

Yes, I know that is a stupid, pointless, and quite likely self-defeating thing to do. But this is the internet, and weirdos have done worse to become "forums famous".

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
where does "a goon who x he own y, a shameful goon" actually come from?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

But I was thinking about the Koalas March thing, and how she had a sock puppet account where she would praise herself and say how awesome she was, so other people would notice/like her.

Has there ever been the case of the opposite? i.e. Where a poster has a sock puppet that follows them around saying how poo poo and bad they are? They would do this so they get noticed by other people, and also to get internet sympathy, because from the perspective of everybody else they would be being picked on by a stranger for no reason.

Yes, I know that is a stupid, pointless, and quite likely self-defeating thing to do. But this is the internet, and weirdos have done worse to become "forums famous".

I don’t think so but I can follow you around and call your posts poo poo if you want. Not sure if that’s gonna work though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fauna posted:

where does "a goon who x he own y, a shameful goon" actually come from?

A throwaway joke on a front page article from like, 2002, except instead of "goon" it was the n-word, and ostensibly something the author overheard on a bus.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t think so but I can follow you around and call your posts poo poo if you want. Not sure if that’s gonna work though.

Thank you for the kind offer, but I get that enough from my mother.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah I know it's ultimately for laundering, I was just curious how it works in practice, like you just give it 35 cents and get a receipt for 0.00000000000000000001 buttbux or something?

It’s actually called Bitcoin, op

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

More like old-getsoffonbeingmadefunoff-less.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

sourdough posted:

It’s actually called Bitcoin, op

Actually I was asking about the cryptocurrency used specifically for buying butt stuff, but thanks

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I just watched a Sarah Z video about a guy who did exactly that. He was active in fanfiction communities and he had a couple of dozen sockpuppets that would follow him around and insult his stories and get into fights in the comments and such.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

HopperUK posted:

I just watched a Sarah Z video about a guy who did exactly that. He was active in fanfiction communities and he had a couple of dozen sockpuppets that would follow him around and insult his stories and get into fights in the comments and such.

The internet, and especially fan-adjacent communities, love nothing in the world more than drama. A fight is golden as far as attention is concerned, especially if you have fans who are willing to take your side.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Yes, I'll admit it. Whenever you see someone say I'm a bad poster, it's just me trying to get noticed.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Kazinsal posted:

A throwaway joke on a front page article from like, 2002, except instead of "goon" it was the n-word, and ostensibly something the author overheard on a bus.

I think thisis the source for that

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Actually I was asking about the cryptocurrency used specifically for buying butt stuff, but thanks

lol sorry, my b

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

People do it IRL because playing the victim can get you cred. No reason someone hasn't tried it here too.

Example of IRL attempt

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Sleeveless has been solely responsible for paying SA's hosting fees thanks to this strategy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

fanny packrat posted:

Sleeveless has been solely responsible for paying Goldbelly's overhead thanks to this strategy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

turtlicious briefly did this after the cow-bombing ban, iirc

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Yes, I'll admit it. Whenever you see someone say I'm a bad poster, it's just me trying to get noticed.

Look at this terrible poster. Go away.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

typical fake news, he was clearly referring to D&D miniatures he needed to disassemble without blowing off his fingers.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oxxidation posted:

It amazes me that people still pull the "posting as a freshly-registered user who somehow has extensive knowledge of, and opinions about, certain other users who recently got banned" trick in 2020, especially on SA, where "every new reg is a rereg" has been a joke for years. Turt has/had enough personal problems that I can understand his not understanding how obvious it was, but plenty of others try it with no better excuse than being dumb motherfuckers. poo poo, I think Zaurg's done it multiple times, at least once pretending the new account was an RL friend of his old one.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

It amazes me that people still pull the "posting as a freshly-registered user who somehow has extensive knowledge of, and opinions about, certain other users who recently got banned" trick in 2020, especially on SA, where "every new reg is a rereg" has been a joke for years. Turt has/had enough personal problems that I can understand his not understanding how obvious it was, but plenty of others try it with no better excuse than being dumb motherfuckers. poo poo, I think Zaurg's done it multiple times, at least once pretending the new account was an RL friend of his old one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3925515&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti2

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Nothing beats claiming to be the brother (with the exact same personality, personal history, and posting style) of your alt, who is now dead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nothing beats claiming to be the brother (with the exact same personality, personal history, and posting style) of your alt, who is now dead.

Are you referring to Humper Monkey/50 Foot Ant or a different one?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Oxxidation posted:

The what now

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
The bot referred to as GDN is going to be the impetus of a huge drama.

It's 11PM, do you know where your API keys are being used?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
time stampy

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Danaru posted:

The what now

I’m not sure they actually wanted to bomb cows. They hated cows because of global warming, and they built some bombs, and said they’d make the news. Then they asked the CSPAM climate change thread how to dispose of some UXO because no one came to help with their nefarious mission, because trying to create Hahahamas on a comedy site is a bad idea. Then they got banned five months later when someone who didn’t have terminal doomposting poisoning saw the posts and asked WTF in QCS.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Crime on a Dime posted:

I don't get it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Crime on a Dime posted:

What, again? Wasn't that dumb GDN auth stuff part of that whole PPJ thing?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How dare you cast aspersions on my identical twin and best friend, Commodore Clean :arghfist:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Kins posted:

What, again? Wasn't that dumb GDN auth stuff part of that whole PPJ thing?

I'm guessing yes. There's been rumors about a GDN backdoor that can access messages sent by anyone who auth's with the system, so it's probably more of that poo poo.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Famethrowa posted:

I'm guessing yes. There's been rumors about a GDN backdoor that can access messages sent by anyone who auth's with the system, so it's probably more of that poo poo.

Never let bots you did not code into private channels is literally what gets screamed by anyone with experience coding discord bots. that is there for a reason because it literally is taking text captures of everything typed. and the owner of the api key can do anything with it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's a real thing that happens

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1054139X17303130 (random link for reference)

Dunno if it's happened on SA tho. Probably.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like rolling up a new D&D character. Rigby's brother, Bigby.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a scam currency supported by crazy people and scammers to draw more crazy people in with the promise they'll be millionaires one day and whose primary use is for shady or illegal transactions like scams and drug sales.

SA has a special dislike of it from the extended campaigns to sink the price of it and troll dedicated followers in various ways. I think the Goldmined Bitcoin thread documents the point in it somewhere where YOSPOS hacked the Bitcoin forums and changed all mentions of "Bitcoin" to "Cosbycoin": https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413928

Bitcoiners didn't take well to the trolling and tried various things like paying people to DDoS SA too:

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/attack-of-bitcoins/

The bitcoin thing was summed up well by a goon at one point, i cant find the quote but it was something like:

Dumbass True Believers: "Our deflationary cryptocurrency that can only handle 7 transactions a second will truly take over the world economy, google ron paul!"

Goons, who think they're smart: "what morons, this thing is useless as a currency, its only useful for money launderers and drug dealers!"

Actual Smart People: "This thing is useful for money launderers and drug dealers, I want in."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The bitcoin thing was summed up well by a goon at one point, i cant find the quote but it was something like:

Dumbass True Believers: "Our deflationary cryptocurrency that can only handle 7 transactions a second will truly take over the world economy, google ron paul!"

Goons, who think they're smart: "what morons, this thing is useless as a currency, its only useful for money launderers and drug dealers!"

Actual Smart People: "This thing is useful for money launderers and drug dealers, I want in."

I feel like this more or less sums up what I was trying to say; there's a lot about it that is blatantly dumb as poo poo, to be sure, but some of that idiocy is a double-edged sword that makes the whole thing relatively easy to barnacle onto for a little extra beer/weed money, and I'm surprised more goons didn't pick up on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Never let bots you did not code into private channels is literally what gets screamed by anyone with experience coding discord bots. that is there for a reason because it literally is taking text captures of everything typed. and the owner of the api key can do anything with it.

what the gently caress